Options

Message from UPS to our European Super Deluxe Customers

Comments

• Options
    PH109495PH109495 Posts: 3
    Going out to the pub now, might have to come back and have a drunken rant later on! :lol:
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Ummm....unless I'm reading this wrong that email CLEARLY states its UPS fuck up, not the 10Club.

So why is everyone saying that 10Club should do something for them??
  • Options
    SpacetoadSpacetoad Posts: 78
    edited March 2009
    PH109495 wrote:
    I just had a look on Amazon - £99 with free shipping. And there's me like a fool paying £133 (I checked my CC statement) to get it delivered from the States and potentially another £30 tax... How do we get a refund from ten club?

I ordered the Amazon one - I usually dont but you know an additional $90 plus the UPS charge for a chance of signatures.
    The last few releases I have bought from 10C and waited the extra few weeks but I decided not to risk it. Seems to be the right decision even though i feel dirty now!!! :evil:
    "oh when I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed"

Manchester, England (June 04, 2000) £27.50
    Leeds, England (August 25, 2006) £40
    Manchester, England (August 17, 2009) £50 - I think
    Manchester, UK (June 20, 2012) £50 - I think
    American Express presents BST Hyde Park (July 08, 2022) £80
    Manchester, June 2024 - TBC £160!!!

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    i order 2 of them,,and ask me 300 euros extra for vat,,i contact 10c and they say to me 2 minutes ago that they just got a call from ups and not to refuse shippment and wait to tell me what happen...wait people,,and i hope u already pay extra to take your money back,,
    peace
    Dimitris
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Santos has edited his post.

No longer says to refuse delivery :?
    post has been updated.
    slh
  • Options
    RuxpinRuxpin Posts: 67
    First of all can I say that I think the 10 Club have done a very good job previously.
    I am not disputing that but I'm in the UK boat here and I am not happy with this situation.
    I do appreciate that Santos was on here pretty quick and emails have been sent out but this is a big mess up on an apparently major release "for the fans".

1.) There was never an announcement of changing the courier to UPS from the usual USPS. Usually the shipments to europe etc go by USPS via Sweden and then onto the respective countries. I have ordered a number of items before and yes I have had to pay import costs a couple of times in the past year (when the value of the goods was over £18.00). These charges were approx £7.50 and £8.00 for orders of £50ish and £80ish respectively.
    Had 10C mentioned the fact that the courier had changed to UPS then I and I presume others would have queried the situation as UPS are notorious for making extra money from "additional handling charges" on top of the import duty.

Based upon previous experience with import duty I was expecting a charge of approx £12 if I'm honest. NOT 3 times that amount.

2.) In my opinion $50 is a slightly excessive amount to charge for delivery. Yes I understand the package is weighty and the choice of a commercial courier was probably used to reduce the amount of packages that get damaged. But when you consider 10C have taken a hit on providing US customers free shipping it just seems that they could have also done a little bit extra to lower non-US delivery charges also.

3.) It seems that the problem with the import charges is to do with either the service that 10C have requested or the value that has been put on the shipments. I do hope this is UPS fucking up and not the 10C but a little clarity would be appreciated.

4.) To have non US residents paying $300 compared to what the US fans are paying to me just seems unfair.
    Is this completely 10C's fault? Of course not.
    Could the delivery service have been worked out a bit better for international customers? I think so.

Will us international customers get something a bit special in response to this poor service? I hope so.
  • Options
    ok,,,,,and now what?i pay 190$ ,means ,150 euros...and they ask me 150 euros more ..and i order 2 of them,,so 300 euros more what to do now?refuse,,,?i feel like they stealing me
    UPS

To the Ten Club members located in Europe who have ordered the Ten Super Deluxe Package:

Those of you who have been contacted by UPS (Europe) and asked to pay higher than expected clearance fees, please know that UPS is aware of these issues and we are working with our brokerage departments in your countries to resolve any issues with the assessment of these fees and ensure their accuracy. This is a UPS issue and not one caused by Ten Club in any way. We apologize for causing you any inconvenience or confusion and will do all we can to deliver your orders without further complication. We value our relationship with Ten Club and its members and are committed to providing you with excellent service.

Thank you for your understanding and we will update you as these issues are resolved.

UPS

Justin Vickerman
    UPS Account Manager
    International Business Development
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jvickerman@ups.com">jvickerman@ups.com</a><!-- e --> <mailto:jvickerman@ups.com>

International Support: (800) 782-7892

Veronica Cabading
    UPS
    Account Manager
    Washington District
    email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:vcabading@ups.com">vcabading@ups.com</a><!-- e -->

here is the latest:
    If there is a "reasonable" customs/duty tax imposed, you should not refuse the shipment. All International shipments are subject to customs/duty taxes imposed by your country. The value of the Super Deluxe Box set is marked $100. If the charge is "excessive", meaning 75+ euros, refuse the shipment until we can get this figured out. If you have questions, please contact <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> or the UPS contacts listed above. Please CC <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> on all UPS contact so I have a record of what's going on.
    If you have already paid, hang tight. We are working on a solution.
    I will update this post as I get more info from UPS.
    SLH
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    UPS

To the Ten Club members located in Europe who have ordered the Ten Super Deluxe Package:

Those of you who have been contacted by UPS (Europe) and asked to pay higher than expected clearance fees, please know that UPS is aware of these issues and we are working with our brokerage departments in your countries to resolve any issues with the assessment of these fees and ensure their accuracy. This is a UPS issue and not one caused by Ten Club in any way. We apologize for causing you any inconvenience or confusion and will do all we can to deliver your orders without further complication. We value our relationship with Ten Club and its members and are committed to providing you with excellent service.

Thank you for your understanding and we will update you as these issues are resolved.

UPS

Justin Vickerman
    UPS Account Manager
    International Business Development
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jvickerman@ups.com">jvickerman@ups.com</a><!-- e --> <mailto:jvickerman@ups.com>

International Support: (800) 782-7892

Veronica Cabading
    UPS
    Account Manager
    Washington District
    email: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:vcabading@ups.com">vcabading@ups.com</a><!-- e -->

here is the latest:
    If there is a "reasonable" customs/duty tax imposed, you should not refuse the shipment. All International shipments are subject to customs/duty taxes imposed by your country. The value of the Super Deluxe Box set is marked $100. If the charge is "excessive", meaning 75+ euros, refuse the shipment until we can get this figured out. If you have questions, please contact <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> or the UPS contacts listed above. Please CC <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> on all UPS contact so I have a record of what's going on.
    If you have already paid, hang tight. We are working on a solution.
    I will update this post as I get more info from UPS.
    SLH

Well, Santos, if the declared value is $100 than even 40-45 euros is EXCESSIVE.. I was prepared for taxes (I'm from Italy), but I never pay more than 25 euros for items from extra EU countries with the value marked at $100.. What's the problem with UPS? Why they charge more than other services (such as regular mail)? I prefer to wait a little longer for my package but without these troubles..
    Thanks for the effort anyway
  • Options
    bOcciObOcciO Posts: 1
    Payed 45€ to UPS in Germany, total amount 185€!!! Twice the price in retail store :((((
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    That's fucking ridiculous, my german friend.. People in the US got free shipping and no extra charges, we european people $50 plus taxes.. I repeat, we are aware of customs duties, but this is so unfair.. :x
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    oh boy. This really sucks for you guys, but I'm sure 10C is on it now and trying to do all they can. Like Santos said; hang tight, keep your receipts. Hopefully this wrong will be righted.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    couse if they didnt change the shipping method from us post office to ups this will never happen190$ for the box and ups ask me 200$ more...
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Ummm....unless I'm reading this wrong that email CLEARLY states its UPS fuck up, not the 10Club.

• Options
    Members of the EUROPEAN UNION should NOT pay any taxes because goods bellow the value limit of EUR 150.00 are NOT subject to customs duties.

Council Regulation (EC) No 274/2008 of 17 March 2008:
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:085:0001:01:EN:HTML
  • Options
    HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
    I found this charge of £32 duty a bitter pill to swallow after already paying out the $190 (£130) for the box set. I was hard pushed to afford this in the first place! :cry: Any refund will be greatly received, thankyou!

Pearl Jam shop, I think for future reference, you guys need to make customers outside America aware that they are likely to be stung for duty on expensive items like this.

Peace & Hugs :roll:
  • Options
    ML245287ML245287 Posts: 4
    Members of the EUROPEAN UNION should NOT pay any taxes because goods bellow the value limit of EUR 150.00 are NOT subject to customs duties.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:085:0001:01:EN:HTML

We have paid VAT, not custom duties, 2 differents things
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,861
    Thorns2010 wrote:

who fucking organised this thing??
  • Options
    ML245287 wrote:

We have paid VAT, not custom duties, 2 differents things
    they ask me 200$ extra for vat and custom duties and to pay and the employ who will do all this,,,the box is in the ups in airport,,,what a mess,,,plus i order 2,,so 400$ extra,,sorry i forgot to born like rockfeller..
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,861
    what a fucking shambles...

accept it, dont accept it, accept it....

pay more for dealing with the band and supporting them

they'll sign till their hand cramps....then sign 30....

charge international $50 then hide the cost of shipping from the package and charge US nothing

keep it up Tenclub, really great way to go on....

even the delivery guy today was laughing at the amount we had to pay....for some reason he thought it was stupid and 'easily avoided' and that was amusing him....notthe first report of this today either
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    edited March 2009
    PH109495 wrote:
    I was at work and missed mine being delivered anyway - I'm guessing you guys are being charged VAT? In which case it shouldn't happen, as the value of the goods is less than £105 - which has been the customs duty limit since 1st December 2008 (see here - http://tinyurl.com/cuhpjj).
    the £105 DOES NOT APPLY TO VAT. (I wish! and it's more like £140 = €150)
    this is the limit for DUTY.

When you import something you pay:
    + VAT on item + shipping (that means on $150 people, not $100! that's the law, nothing to do with 10c or UPS) if total cost of items only (so you order 2 limit is not higher) is over £18/€25 (whatever the rate is in your country, 15% in the UK now, %19.5 in France for example. and if it's above you pay on all, not deducting £18)
    + DUTY (depends on country and product type, 2.5% here I think for CDs/DVDs) if over £140 (so that'll be nil in this case)
    + carrier fee (in UK: £8 for Royal Mail, £11 for UPS..) for processing your customs for you (and unfortunately for individuals, it's impossible to pre-pay customs yourself.).

SLH is very nice to get UPS to look into it, but likely only those Portuguese or Dimitris that had really ridiculous fees will see any money back.

The £30 UK charge is perfectly in line with what you're supposed to pay ($22.5 15%VAT = £15.85 as per C&E official rate for this week + £11 UPS fee = £26.85.) the difference of a few quid I wouldn't question since $100 is not the real value anyway and UPS just has to look on this website to know that (and with the real value of $140, VAT = £20.1, + £11 fee = £31.1).

For euro countries, depending on your VAT rate and UPS local fee, but the people quoting €45 seems right too.

anything above €50 otoh I'd question. Dimitris, €150 for 2 seems too high, I'd question that one.
    Ruxpin wrote:
    1.) There was never an announcement of changing the courier to UPS from the usual USPS. Usually the shipments to europe etc go by USPS via Sweden and then onto the respective countries. I have ordered a number of items before and yes I have had to pay import costs a couple of times in the past year (when the value of the goods was over £18.00). These charges were approx £7.50 and £8.00 for orders of £50ish and £80ish respectively.
    I've no idea how you ended up paying so little since Royal Mail (that's normal mail for non-UK people) charges a fee of £8 on top of WHATEVER the VAT amount they collect. (and 17.5% on £80 never works out to be £8..unless you had a book in that which didn't count). So even if 10c hadn't changed the carrier, you'd have saved £3 (and a slight chance of not getting hit, but considering the size of the package, very slight. Plus regular mail doesn't have any real tracking, which for an item of this cost is a very bad idea).
    oh, and they don't use USPS normally (that would be a lot quicker if they did), they use Swedish Post (it's a totally different service) but it does NOT go through Sweden in fact (or you'd never pay customs at all since Sweden is in the EU).
    PH109495 wrote:
    I just had a look on Amazon - £99 with free shipping. And there's me like a fool paying £133 (I checked my CC statement) to get it delivered from the States and potentially another £30 tax... How do we get a refund from ten club?
    that's your own fault for not checking competition before spending >£100, I don't see why you should get a refund! the base product is at exactly the same price, you for shipment and import, that's your choice.

seriously people, everyone knows lots of goods, particularly electronics, are sold cheaper in the US.
    You never thought twice why people didn't order from there all the time instead of buying locally? :roll:
    Post edited by Pegasus on
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hippyvik wrote:
    I found this charge of £32 duty a bitter pill to swallow after already paying out the $190 (£130) for the box set. I was hard pushed to afford this in the first place! :cry: Any refund will be greatly received, thankyou!

Pearl Jam shop, I think for future reference, you guys need to make customers outside America aware that they are likely to be stung for duty on expensive items like this.

Peace & Hugs :roll:

You know what? I fully agree.

It's one thing that those of us in the US are paying about $15 more than we would pay at Best Buy. I guessed that in advance, and figured I'd rather the band make the extra $80. But for European people to be paying MORE for the item than their local store, then even MORE for shipping, then a lot MORE for duty charges... all for the pleasure of giving Ten Club money directly, with no middleman (meaning more double or more profit for Ten Club than wholesaling to retailers) makes this all unfortunate for the fans, particularly the ones in Europe.

A lot of us bought it directly from Ten Club for the chance of it being signed. I think if they were up front and said "about 30-40 will be signed" a number of us would have made an informed decision and purchased it locally... and cheaper.

And to the Europeans I think if they were up front and said "you'll be paying additional significant duties on top of paying additional significant shipping" then they could have made an informed decision to purchase it locally... and cheaper... a LOT cheaper.

Sorry... but this is all true. I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of my Super Deluxe Edition... but I'm gonna assume the worst case scenario with future TC direct purchases, and probably not buy direct again.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    what a fucking shambles...

accept it, dont accept it, accept it....

pay more for dealing with the band and supporting them

they'll sign till their hand cramps....then sign 30....

charge international $50 then hide the cost of shipping from the package and charge US nothing

keep it up Tenclub, really great way to go on....

even the delivery guy today was laughing at the amount we had to pay....for some reason he thought it was stupid and 'easily avoided' and that was amusing him....notthe first report of this today either
    i order 2 boxes,,,they ask me 400$ extra for both,,the woman in ups here in greece i talk will remember me for a lond time ago,,,me too,i could believe the limits of my voice
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    It is a bitter pill to swallow... I doubt you will find any European fan who isn't now regretting buying it from TC. It is an amazing set, I absolutely love it, but I feel like a complete idiot when I see it on Amazon for £99 with free delivery. Like someone else mentioned, we've basically paid £60+ for the very small chance it might get signed. I'm trying to just forget about it as one of the those things, but it has dampened the whole experience somewhat :cry:
  • Options
    lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    I agree CJMST3K. Really poorly handled by the Ten Club this.
  • Options
    ...and to add to what I wrote above, I think many of us understand that Ten Club needs to sell this for face-value, and a retailer can many times have an introductory sale price.

But knowing this, plus knowing about the significant taxes for people buying direct from Europe as opposed to their local record shop, why didn't they include some extra special Ten Club only item to justify the additional price? Free MSG 1998 cd? Something... That would have cost them pennies to produce.
  • Options
    BlackCoBlackCo Posts: 4
    Putain Pegazus arrete de prendre de haut tout le monde, tu ressembles à rien là.

Ten Club should give a refund for every extra euro or pound given by european costumers. When i see shipment for 50 dollars i am not supposed to give anything more to receive the object (ie: i don't care if it comes with us post, UPS, DHL or santa...). OK to say that this might not be a TC mistake but IT IS a TC responsibility.

Hope the TC will do what should be done here: ask for every one a copy of the UPS bill and refund what has been paid.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    PH109495 wrote:
    I was at work and missed mine being delivered anyway - I'm guessing you guys are being charged VAT? In which case it shouldn't happen, as the value of the goods is less than £105 - which has been the customs duty limit since 1st December 2008 (see here - http://tinyurl.com/cuhpjj).
    the £105 DOES NOT APPLY TO VAT. (I wish! and it's more like £140 = €150)
    this is the limit for DUTY.

When you import something you pay:
    + VAT on item + shipping (that means on $150 people, not $100! that's the law, nothing to do with 10c or UPS) if total cost of items only (so you order 2 limit is not higher) is over £18/€25 (whatever the rate is in your country, 15% in the UK now, %19.5 in France for example. and if it's above you pay on all, not deducting £18)
    + DUTY (depends on country and product type, 2.5% here I think for CDs/DVDs) if over £140 (so that'll be nil in this case)
    + carrier fee (in UK: £8 for Royal Mail, £11 for UPS..) for processing your customs for you (and unfortunately for individuals, it's impossible to pre-pay customs yourself.).

SLH is very nice to get UPS to look into it, but likely only those Portuguese or Dimitris that had really ridiculous fees will see any money back.

The £30 UK charge is perfectly in line with what you're supposed to pay ($22.5 15%VAT = £15.85 as per C&E official rate for this week + £11 UPS fee = £26.85.) the difference of a few quid I wouldn't question since $100 is not the real value anyway and UPS just has to look on this website to know that (and with the real value of $140, VAT = £20.1, + £11 fee = £31.1).

For euro countries, depending on your VAT rate and UPS local fee, but the people quoting €45 seems right too.

anything above €50 otoh I'd question. Dimitris, €150 for 2 seems too high, I'd question that one.
    Ruxpin wrote:
    I've no idea how you ended up paying so little since Royal Mail (that's normal mail for non-UK people) charges a fee of £8 on top of WHATEVER the VAT amount they collect. (and 17.5% on £80 never works out to be £8..unless you had a book in that which didn't count). So even if 10c hadn't changed the carrier, you'd have saved £3 (and a slight chance of not getting hit, but considering the size of the package, very slight. Plus regular mail doesn't have any real tracking, which for an item of this cost is a very bad idea).
    oh, and they don't use USPS normally (that would be a lot quicker if they did), they use Swedish Post (it's a totally different service) but it does NOT go through Sweden in fact (or you'd never pay customs at all since Sweden is in the EU).
    PH109495 wrote:
    that's your own fault for not checking competition before spending >£100, I don't see why you should get a refund! the base product is at exactly the same price, you for shipment and import, that's your choice.

seriously people, everyone knows lots of goods, particularly electronics, are sold cheaper in the US.
    You never thought twice why people didn't order from there all the time instead of buying locally? :roll:
    no my friend,,,150 euros not for 2,,for 1,,,they ask me 296 euros exactly for both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my order before deluxe edition was 276 for clothes,cd,t-shirts ,hoodies dvd was 278$,,and i didnt pay anything,,,u know why?couse they send it with usa post office,,not with ups,,thats all what is about,,and why its 10c,mistake,last year i was in new york foe msg 1,2 and i bought a laptop 850$,,and i send it from the shop to greece,,,and pay 100 $ in the custom,,and for 2 cd,1 dvd,2 lp,and fotos and stuff,,to pay 150?come on,,
  • Options
    ad137304 wrote:
    Putain Pegazus arrete de prendre de haut tout le monde, tu ressembles à rien là.

Ten Club should give a refund for every extra euro or pound given by european costumers. When i see shipment for 50 dollars i am not supposed to give anything more to receive the object (ie: i don't care if it comes with us post, UPS, DHL or santa...). OK to say that this might not be a TC mistake but IT IS a TC responsibility.

Hope the TC will do what should be done here: ask for every one a copy of the UPS bill and refund what has been paid.
    cant say anything more than YES
  • Options
    I'd be tempted to return the items all together, especially if previous purchases were with USPS with little or no tax and then their choice of UPS makes this an insanely high taxed item. Again, I'm not in your boat - I'm in the US, but I feel for ya. This is just not right.
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    I just really hope PJ gets a record label soon and will not sell their new CD at the Ten Club Store. It was my first and last order for sure :-( Man all so sad when I think about al the goodies I still wanted to get :-(
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    ad137304 wrote:

si les gens sont cons, c'est comme ca qu'il faut les prendre.
    It's not like I didn't try to warn people for weeks.

it is NOT 10c responsibility to check every single country import policy. That's YOURS.
    How very French of you expecting to be totally assisted instead of taking responsibility :| (for the Mods: I'm French too.. originally)

If you don't like having to pay taxes, talk to your government instead! (or in the case of the French, shout at it :roll: )

Dimitris, I said in your case you have obviously something very wrong going on and should question it, but 99% of people complaining (the ones with £30/€45 fees) do about something that is THE LAW..not 10c decision (who exposed themselves for you by under-declaring the merchandise), not UPS (well, ok their fee is), but the local government!