~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.
    she has diabetes :disappointed:

Damn, Dave. While it’s not as benign a diagnosis as hyperthyroidism, it’s still manageable, and Kali will likely still have lots of good times ahead. 

Molly sends her love. 

thanks, yeah it's manageable.  just two shots of insulin a day. 
    Have you had to give her shots before? Molly doesn’t even notice. I feel like it’s harder for us than it is for them. 
    first time I had to give them for any cat.  I go back on Thursday so the vet can show me how to do it and all. 

Not a good year for my cat(s) :sad:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    Kali is losing a lot of weight.  I took her in for her yearly check-up in April and the vet was concerned with her weight.  She was at 7 1/2 pounds when she weighed her.  I was pretty shocked cause I thought she was about 12 pounds or so.  She was always bigger than Willow.  You can see where her hips would be (back legs) are kinda caved in.  She eats, drinks and goes to the bathroom normally.  So i told her i would keep an eye on her weight.  She stayed the same for about a month or two.  Then within the past week I noticed it alot and decided to weigh her.  She was under 7 pounds now.  I made an appointment for her on Monday night.  Hoping it's not too bad and manageable.

Damn, Dave. While it’s not as benign a diagnosis as hyperthyroidism, it’s still manageable, and Kali will likely still have lots of good times ahead. 

Molly sends her love. 

I don't know how much that costs, but at least a shot is easier than shoving pills down her throat twice day, so this might actually be better than hyperthyroidism TBH! Here's a tip: you are not obligated to purchase prescription meds from your vet. Pet meds are often WAY more expensive than human meds, even when they're the exact same medication, which is likely the case with insulin. And the vet can't actually force you to buy them from him or her. You can ask them to just write a script for it (some vets may get mad about this, but fuck 'em), and any pharmacy will fill it for you, often for a fraction of the price. That's what I did for my cat's hyperthyroid pills and the human pharmacy was literally half the cost of what the vet was charging. Of course, maybe insulin at the pharmacy is actually way more expensive than is at the vets, especially in the USA, I don't know. Just mentioning so you can compare the prices. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

Molly sends her love. 

I don't know how much that costs, but at least a shot is easier than shoving pills down her throat twice day, so this might actually be better than hyperthyroidism TBH! Here's a tip: you are not obligated to purchase prescription meds from your vet. Pet meds are often WAY more expensive than human meds, even when they're the exact same medication, which is likely the case with insulin. And the vet can't actually force you to buy them from him or her. You can ask them to just write a script for it (some vets may get mad about this, but fuck 'em), and any pharmacy will fill it for you, often for a fraction of the price. That's what I did for my cat's hyperthyroid pills and the human pharmacy was literally half the cost of what the vet was charging. Of course, maybe insulin at the pharmacy is actually way more expensive than is at the vets, especially in the USA, I don't know. Just mentioning so you can compare the prices. :)
    that's what i hear.  i might do that depending on how much and all.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Diabetes.

Damn.

I didn't even know that was within the realm of possibilities for a cat. I'm pretty stupid though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Annie's latest food cravings include ripe apricots (no skins), regular peas steamed then cooled to room temp and snow peas sauteed in olive oil and cooled to room temp. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Diabetes.

Damn.

I didn't even know that was within the realm of possibilities for a cat. I'm pretty stupid though.
    yeah they can.  I didn't know either until I was telling people she was losing weight and some said she might have diabetes.  Few friends said their cats have/had it so I guess it';s not too uncommon.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • These two are really digging each other:

It's tough to tell where one starts and where one ends sometimes. Mika (the older one) likes to be intertwined with the kitten, but it's the kitten that seeks Mika for sleep.
    These two are really digging each other:

It's tough to tell where one starts and where one ends sometimes. Mika (the older one) likes to be intertwined with the kitten, but it's the kitten that seeks Mika for sleep.
    awww so cute.

Here's Kali last week after going to the vet and taking blood out of her.  Kinda weird they take it near the neck and shave that area.  Also in the other pic you can tell where her hind legs are she's kinda skinny (about 7 pounds).  Hopefully the insulin works and she gets better.
    Image may contain cat and indoor
    Image may contain cat
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Eerie...

Poor cat.

Can you tell she's affected by any of this psychologically? What's her disposition like?
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    These two are really digging each other:

Super cute!  

Here is Juni relaxing this afternoon

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    Hope Kali gets better soon.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    Eerie...

Poor cat.

Can you tell she's affected by any of this psychologically? What's her disposition like?
    she doesn't seem to be bothered by it.  Her mannerisms and all haven't changed.  Although from what I heard/read cats usually don't display pain and try to hide it.
    Hope Kali gets better soon.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The moment before the attack on the dumb dog. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    That’s right. You’re my bitch. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    The moment before the attack on the dumb dog. 

LOL.  Cats always win those battles!

My wife's business partner has a black dog, Abbey, and our Annie is a black cat.  We figured since Annie is so sociable around people she would get along with Abbey too, so N. brought Abbey over for a visit.  As soon as Abbey walked in the door there were two balls of black fur spinning in vicious circles with lots of yelping and yowling and meowing and hissing and little tufts of black fur flying everywhere.  And who was losing those bits of black fur?  Yup, the dog.  Poor Abbey!  :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Rose doesn’t even start anything. Her mere existence is enough cause for a Molly beatdown. 

Molly jumped up on the bed, saw there was a Rose on it, and then handily put Rose in her place—all to my cheers of “get her, Molly!”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Just had to say goodbye to my little Molly.

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    This is awful.

I'm sorry to hear that Dan.  
    dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    sorry dan!  :cry:  know what it's like
    May i ask what happened?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 

Shitty.

Sorry, man.
    dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    Oh man, I'm so sorry Dan.  What a sweetheart.  It's so hard to see them go.  Best wishes to you.

We're a bit concerned about our good boy Edward.  He's losing big hunks of his hair left and right.  We'll see what the vet says soon.  I hope it's nothing serious- I've never seen this in a cat before so I have no idea what it could be.  A bit frightened for our buddy.

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    Oh no!! I am so sorry.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    brianlux said:
    We're a bit concerned about our good boy Edward.  He's losing big hunks of his hair left and right.  We'll see what the vet says soon.  I hope it's nothing serious- I've never seen this in a cat before so I have no idea what it could be.  A bit frightened for our buddy.
    Aww I hope they can figure out what's going on with Edward.
    brianlux said:
    Aww I hope they can figure out what's going on with Edward.
    Yes, thanks!  The soonest we can get him in is next Monday.  No doubt there are other animals with more serious conditions for them to get too first.  Meanwhile, I'll spend a good deal of time searching the internet for clues.

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Dan, my deepest and most heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family.
    So sorry about Molly, Dan. 
    Hearts and thoughts. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm so sorry, my friend.  I'm not sure which of you loved the other more...
  • VedderMTLVedderMTL Montreal, Canada Posts: 1,401
    Hey @dankind so sorry for your loss man. I lost my 14 year old pal Emo 6 weeks ago amd it’s the worst feeling ever. I am starting to get better and I wish the same thing to you. 

Here he is. 

take care

dankind said:

I’m beyond devastated. 

Good night, sweet girl. 
    I think about this kind of thing from time to time, Dan, because like most of us, I've been there and like most of us, I'll be there again.  When ever I lose a pet I grieve- cry like a baby- and feel awful for days and then I remember some of George Carlin's routines about his pets.  There was a guy who really loved his animals!  So after I start feel only half like a disaster, I'll watch one of those routines and they always help pull me through.  I hope this helps!