Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Fuck this noise. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Awwww...out like a light with Resting Bitch Smile! :smiley:
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
  • We got a kitten today.

Mika has company. She's super curious. We have the kitten in my daughter's room- trying to introduce them slowly, but Mika is relentlessly pacing outside the door.

I brought Mika into the room against the protest of my wife and daughter. Mika seems to be super curious- not aggressive in the slightest.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Mika sat herself underneath my daughter's bed to watch the kitten sleep. She had sniffed her moments before (unbeknownst to the kitten lol).

My son left the room, left the door open, and the kitten saw the door open. The kitten got a panicked look on her face and yup... darted underneath the bed where Mika was.

Mika hissed and backed up. The kitten hissed too but it was more an open mouth feeble attempt at one. My daughter pulled the kitten out from under the bed. No harm done.
  • The kitten:

:rofl:

Is your cat's paw stuck to your beard Tempo?!! Great picture! I have a tuxedo cat just like that! My daughter likes to fancy her up every once in a while by putting a bowtie around her neck ;)
    The kitten:

Woww Thirty! What a cutie!!!

It took Sashi 6 months before she came out of hiding and stopped hissing at our new edition Gizzy. That was 5 years ago. They both appreciate each other's company now. They wrestle and save food for one another. When one goes to the vet for a problem and the other stays at home they are happy to see each other when reunited. Other than that and the occasional sun spot sharing they avoid one another like the plague. Gizzy was over a year and Sashi was 6 when we introduced them. 
    Keep us updated on their interactions! Such a cutie!
  • Haunting...

We've got the weekend to get these cats acclimatized to each other lol.

I'll update periodically. Six months is a long time. But the companionship you describe will be worth it. Mika never did well with our move last September. She became very unsettled and I'm hoping a friend will help!

Another cat will be fun as well!
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    The kitten:

Adorable. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."

Is your cat's paw stuck to your beard Tempo?!! Great picture! I have a tuxedo cat just like that! My daughter likes to fancy her up every once in a while by putting a bowtie around her neck ;)
    I should have explained this pic, lol.

So this is Zappa.  Zappa paws at my back and shoulders when I pay him no mind.  He paws at me until I respond.  It's cute.  You can see the dedication in his eyes.

He looks just like Tom from Tom&Jerry.  Exact same colors.
    The kitten:

Give me a cat toy on a string or a laser and we will have some fun with this little mooshka!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    The kitten:

Adorable. 
    so cute!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • :rofl:

So this is Zappa.  Zappa paws at my back and shoulders when I pay him no mind.  He paws at me until I respond.  It's cute.  You can see the dedication in his eyes.

There is definitely some admiration on display there.

I've said it before... cats are so underrated for their levels of love and companionship.

* Mika has hissed at the kitten twice this morning. No threatening moves, but wishing for the kitten to keep its distance as she watches it. Mika was meowing at my daughter's door last night trying to get in. She also threw herself at the door trying to push it open lol.

The kitten seems to want to cozy up to Mika. Mika isn't there yet. Monday is going to come pretty fast I think. We might have to keep the kitten in the bedroom until someone can get home.

There is definitely some admiration on display there.

I've said it before... cats are so underrated for their levels of love and companionship.

* Mika has hissed at the kitten twice this morning. No threatening moves, but wishing for the kitten to keep its distance as she watches it. Mika was meowing at my daughter's door last night trying to get in. She also threw herself at the door trying to push it open lol.

The kitten seems to want to cozy up to Mika. Mika isn't there yet. Monday is going to come pretty fast I think. We might have to keep the kitten in the bedroom until someone can get home.
    Separation  and introducing the cats to each other can take a week or so.  Don't force it.  Let nature work it's way in.

As for cats and love?  Yep.  Zappas nickname is Captain Cuddles for a reason.  He has certain times of the day he needs to be coddled.  First thing when I get up and around 9ish at night.  Hence the pic which was around 9, lol.
  • Routine animals lol!

Great pets.
    Thirty, maybe it will take less time seeing as how the kitten (btw have you named him/her yet?) is a kitten. Sashi is a very small cat (7 lbs on a good day) and we introduced the bohemoth Gizzy who probably weighed at least 12-13 lbs when we got her. Maybe Sashi was intimitated by the size of the new cat? Sashi was also a little traumatized as a young cat by a wild feral cat we adopted. Idk? Regardless, these creatures amaze me. Great pets indeed. 

*** My sister is a vet tech at a cat clinic. She always advises the slow introduction. She just introduced her two new cats (Siamese boys) to her other two cats. She went a bit overboard IMO and kept them separated for at least a month but fed both sets of cats at the same door (on opposite sides) for a few weeks until she eventually cracked the door at feeding time (comfort time). One of her cats actually grooms one of the Siamese now. The other is still in hiding. They are all so different. 

The Siamese twins... my new nephews.

Aww Zappa!! Wow that's an amazing connection and quite humorous as well. What a little attention hog! ;) I appreciate and enjoy all of the daily n nightly rituals of these fiesty independent creatures.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Thirty, maybe it will take less time seeing as how the kitten (btw have you named him/her yet?) is a kitten. Sashi is a very small cat (7 lbs on a good day) and we introduced the bohemoth Gizzy who probably weighed at least 12-13 lbs when we got her. Maybe Sashi was intimitated by the size of the new cat? Sashi was also a little traumatized as a young cat by a wild feral cat we adopted. Idk? Regardless, these creatures amaze me. Great pets indeed. 

*** My sister is a vet tech at a cat clinic. She always advises the slow introduction. She just introduced her two new cats (Siamese boys) to her other two cats. She went a bit overboard IMO and kept them separated for at least a month but fed both sets of cats at the same door (on opposite sides) for a few weeks until she eventually cracked the door at feeding time (comfort time). One of her cats actually grooms one of the Siamese now. The other is still in hiding. They are all so different. 

when i brought Kali into my place i had her in the bathroom (I live in a one bedroom apartment) to keep her from Willow.  That lasted about a day, she escaped when i went to open the door.  Luckily Willow didn't mind Kali at all and they got along pretty well.  If the situation was reversed and I brought Willow in it probably would have been a different situation. 

Now that Willow is gone, don't think Kali would want another cat in the apartment and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be too happy if it happened. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

when i brought Kali into my place i had her in the bathroom (I live in a one bedroom apartment) to keep her from Willow.  That lasted about a day, she escaped when i went to open the door.  Luckily Willow didn't mind Kali at all and they got along pretty well.  If the situation was reversed and I brought Willow in it probably would have been a different situation. 

Now that Willow is gone, don't think Kali would want another cat in the apartment and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be too happy if it happened. 
    You are the best judge of character for when another feline can be introduced into the mix. These wild cats are unpredictable and we do our best to relate!!
  • I'm appreciative of the insight offered here.

The kitten is eager to bond with Mika. Mika is reserved still. It doesn't look like Mika is ready to kick the kitten's ass, but we are in a holding pattern at the moment.

It'll happen, but only when it does. I feel this moment is more about making Mika feel good about the situation than the kitten. Once Mika is comfortable, she'll embrace the companion.

My daughter named the kitten Kieli (Hawaii name... I don't know).
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Kieli... nice.  Reminds me of hearing Eddie call out to Kille at shows. 

Her ear is my Juniper "adventuring" at a beach park during a recent weekend getaway...

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Kieli... nice.  Reminds me of hearing Eddie call out to Kille at shows. 

Her ear is my Juniper "adventuring" at a beach park during a recent weekend getaway...

"Jungle Tiger"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Ah, cool!  The cat-tap-on-the-shoulder routine!

My cat Annie now and then puts her paw out and taps me on the shoulder... I shouldn't say this, but that usually happens when I'm on the can.  She gets up on the sink, reaches out and taps me on the shoulder.

But, no, I'm not gonna post a photo of that.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Kieli... nice.  Reminds me of hearing Eddie call out to Kille at shows. 

Nice!

I wish our Annie was better in a halter.  She knows how to Houdini her way out of ever one we've tried. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The kitten:

Sweet!

• For those that care... Mika and the kitten are pawing at each other through my daughter's door. There's a connection brewing and I'm excited for it. Here's Mika outside the door (she rarely leaves it):

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Congrats on the new addition to your family, Thirty!  She's precious.
  • hedonist said:
    Congrats on the new addition to your family, Thirty!  She's precious.
    Thanks Hedo!

We're pretty fired up to have her. She's cute as a button. And Mika is warming up to her. They did touch nose to nose a few hours ago. They've been swatting at each other's paws through the door (playfully).

It's fun.
    ^ :plus_one: Glad to hear Mika is warming up to her!