Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Anyone else brush their cat's teeth? I just had to start brushing Pennie's teeth. She has gingivitis, so need to keep her teeth and gums healthy. I'm supposed to do it 2-3 times a week. Needless to say she hates it. Anybody else doing it?

you ever heard that there are special drops you can buy from the vet to put in their water for that
    i think
    perhaps you should ask
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Here is a tough kitty question. Our sweet Lexi is 14. Last year she got cancer and we chose to remove one of her back legs (the prognosis was better with that option). And she adjusted immediately. But a year later, the cancer is back. The doctor suggests chemo (that will have side effects) and surgery. It's stupidly expensive. Lexi is fine right now, very happy, not in pain. Except for the cancer (!) she's in great shape. The chemo and the surgery will give her a few more months, maybe six months?

We love our cat, but don't want her to suffer. Chemo, surgery and she'll be in terrible pain? And it's not as if we want to put her down right now. Ugh. The doctor hasn't been especially helpful. Any thoughts would be welcome.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    edited October 2015
    Tough one. Can you maybe go to another doctor who might be more helpful considering making her remaining time as good as possible without the expensive procedures? I love my kitty to pieces, but we have to be responsible adults as well. There is no way we would ever be able to pay for a chemo for a cat. Cats come into our lives, enrich it and then at one point leave. And then another one might come into our lives and make it wonderful... I am sure it is a tough decision. I hope you find the solution that is best for you. I am not envying being in your situation. Much strength and snuggles for the furry one!
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Such a difficult position to be in, E. A bit of prolonged life but at what quality level? If she seems well and happy, maybe let nature take its course for the time being?

I feel for you guys...wish I could be more helpful.

(and, have you posted a photo of Lexi before?)
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,269
    Enkidu said:

Here is a tough kitty question. Our sweet Lexi is 14. Last year she got cancer and we chose to remove one of her back legs (the prognosis was better with that option). And she adjusted immediately. But a year later, the cancer is back. The doctor suggests chemo (that will have side effects) and surgery. It's stupidly expensive. Lexi is fine right now, very happy, not in pain. Except for the cancer (!) she's in great shape. The chemo and the surgery will give her a few more months, maybe six months?

We love our cat, but don't want her to suffer. Chemo, surgery and she'll be in terrible pain? And it's not as if we want to put her down right now. Ugh. The doctor hasn't been especially helpful. Any thoughts would be welcome.

lord, that sucks. i don't know what i would do if i had that decision, sorry
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Enkidu said:

if she is doing fine so far she be in less pain if she died with the cancer as it progresses
    because my aunt told me cancer is hell on earth, with chemo you get aches and pains, ulcers, the runs, you can urinate any time unexpectedly or in your sleep you dont enjoy the taste of food the texture is horrid and you can vomit and chemo generally makes you also feel like crap so if i were you id save your money and when the time comes put her done if she is in pain its the humane way i think but thats my opinion..
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    We're leaning towards no chemo/no surgery. She's not in pain now. Yuck, it's still sad though. But last year when we had to choose between chemo or cutting off her leg, cutting off her leg seemed horrible. But it was really a good choice. And she moves just as well as she did before. If anything, she might be faster.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts.

We don't have tons of pictures because she's black (like her sister Nomar). This is Lexi with Trump hair.

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Enkidu said:

We're leaning towards no chemo/no surgery. She's not in pain now. Yuck, it's still sad though. But last year when we had to choose between chemo or cutting off her leg, cutting off her leg seemed horrible. But it was really a good choice. And she moves just as well as she did before. If anything, she might be faster.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts.

We don't have tons of pictures because she's black (like her sister Nomar). This is Lexi with Trump hair.

I would go the natural route. Quality vs quantity goes for our four (or three) legged friends too...Enjoy her <3
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I love black kitties. And her Trump hat :lol: Sending good thoughts your way, Enkidu!
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    Aw, love it and her "get that thing off my head" face.

If/when she feels discomfort, have you thought of going the MM route? The dispensary I go to has treats with THC for animals.

Oh, and I'm dying to hear what music could be included on this =)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Anyone else brush their cat's teeth? I just had to start brushing Pennie's teeth. She has gingivitis, so need to keep her teeth and gums healthy. I'm supposed to do it 2-3 times a week. Needless to say she hates it. Anybody else doing it?

I tried, bought the toothbrush/toothpaste set off amazon with the best reviews - cat won't let me near him with it. I tried teasing him with it like a game to get him to bite the toothbrush but he was not interested. I have not tried to like hold him down and force the toothbrush onto his teeth because quite frankly he could totally take me.
    Enkidu said:

The cat we had in the 90s was diagnosed with cancer around 2003ish. It was in her tummy somewhere. We opted for the surgery. She was miserable afterward, for weeks. A few months later it turned out that they didn't get it all. We put her down about a year later, when it seemed like she was ready. Frankly, I think it could've be done sooner rather than her suffer through that surgery and recovery. Obviously this was some time ago so there's probably been some progress in procedure techniques or equipment or what have you.
    Imho, if she seems happy right now, enjoy this time with her. Spoil the crap out of her. Hopefully this will last a good long while. When she slows down, or seems to be in pain, say goodbye.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Imho, if she seems happy right now, enjoy this time with her. Spoil the crap out of her. Hopefully this will last a good long while. When she slows down, or seems to be in pain, say goodbye.

Well said, Ident. It's what we did, all of it, several years ago - had to. SO SO difficult, but that was on us - it wasn't about us.

I'm sure Lexi's getting a whole lotta love :)

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,269
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I was thinking of getting a running wheel for Fenris...He would love it! Cheapest is in the mid $200...WTF?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,762
    edited October 2015

I'd love to but it's not possible. Mine won't even let me pull up her lip to have a look at her teeth, let alone brush them. I know one side of her mouth needs a cleaning (i have to look when she yawns). Oddly, the other side is perfect and healthy. I can't afford to have hers professionally cleaned right now though. Hopefully she maintains okay.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Enkidu said:

I am really sorry to hear this. :( I know it's tough.
    If you're looking for opinions, mine is that you let her go. Spending all that money just to prolong her life by a short time doesn't make sense on a couple of different levels, and se wouod suffer more if you put her through chemo. But it sounds like you already know this, and are justifiably very sad about what's clearly the right decision.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

If we had the space for that (because it'd be solely for them), I'd get that in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Anyone else wake up to find cat toys in their bed?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    Cats, yes. cat toys, no.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    ldent42 said:

As long as you have a cat, that should not be disturbing.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

ldent42 said:

As long as you have a cat, that should not be disturbing.
    :shifty:
    :skull:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,983
    PJ_Soul said:

Enkidu said:

I am really sorry to hear this. :( I know it's tough.
    If you're looking for opinions, mine is that you let her go. Spending all that money just to prolong her life by a short time doesn't make sense on a couple of different levels, and se wouod suffer more if you put her through chemo. But it sounds like you already know this, and are justifiably very sad about what's clearly the right decision.
    My thoughts as well, Enkidu.

I know how hard these kinds of decisions are. What ever you do, just remember you have loved your cat well and know she is a lucky kitty to have you! Great photo by the way. I love our black cat, Annie. We had a black cat named Ebony when I was very young. As long ago as that was, I remember how beautiful she was! Best wishes for you and your Lexi.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    edited October 2015
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Time for a little Petromalt and increased brushing of the fur for Annie. I would have taken a photo of the hairball she coughed up this morning but didn't want to ruin anyone's Sunday!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Super alert this morning!

imagesuperalert photo 2015-03-21 17.47.32_zpsdhiitwms.jpg" />
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Super alert this morning!

imagesuperalert photo 2015-03-21 17.47.32_zpsdhiitwms.jpg" />

What a good looking cat!
  • Options
    I was going to say handsome, but yes! Love that focused face too.

We had ours on the windowsill this morning with the same look as they watched the blackbirds. Bit of "barking" as well.
  • Options
    I walked into the adoption center and fell in love immediately. He's not too bad in the talking department but he does like attention. I have no problem at all with that! He's young, only 17 months. How he ended up in a high kill shelter I'll never know. But I was lucky, it was his first day on the floor and he was on Petfinder but no one followed through. I had been looking to adopt for a few months and was waiting for a friendly cat that I could connect with. Found it!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

I walked into the adoption center and fell in love immediately. He's not too bad in the talking department but he does like attention. I have no problem at all with that! He's young, only 17 months. How he ended up in a high kill shelter I'll never know. But I was lucky, it was his first day on the floor and he was on Petfinder but no one followed through. I had been looking to adopt for a few months and was waiting for a friendly cat that I could connect with. Found it!

Very nice! Beautiful eyes!

• Options
    He is gorgeous!

As for kitty toys in the bed... We don't have that either. Our cat loves chasing beer caps (sometimes fetching them too), paper bags, and rubber bands. She is the politest cat I have ever known, she would never bring toys into our bed.