Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,282
    PJ_Soul said:

Well my cat has resumed residency on the bed - snuggles abound. I guess it really was just this disgusting hot summer after all!

:smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,282
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    We have been giving our kitty the immunotherapy shots for a while now and we are nearing the end of vial 1. The therapy happens in two phases, first you build the tolerance up slowly, then you go on to a stronger potion and figure out the maintenance dose. In the beginning, we had to give the shots every 4 days, always doubling the amount. She showed a stronger reaction with the respiratory issues coming back after the 4th one with 0.8 of whatever the fluid is. So the vet said, go back, only give it once a week and slowly build up again, but only by giving 0.1 more each week. Last night, we reached 0.7 and this morning she was coughing again pretty badly. So I contacted the vet again. They consulted the lab that customized the fluid just for her allergies. They said we have probably reached the maintenance dose now, since she was much better before the last shot.
    This all sounds complicated, but I am happy about the news. It is no fun to poke a syringe into the cat each week and then watching her closely for at least half an hour to see if she has a bad reaction. I am almost close to a heart attack each time :lol: Knowing the maintenance dose is a very good thing. I hope we got it figured out now and hopefully she will be all good in time. The air purifier also does a good job helping all of us in the house breathing better air :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    edited September 2015
    Good news Leeze!
    That's tough, dealing with something like that. I had to medicate my (now deceased) cat twice a day, EVERY day, for the rest of her life to treat hyperthyroidism. And giving a cat pills that often is a real challenge; hard on both of us (and tbh, it really fucked with my life). But we love them, so it's worth it. :) Obviously there is no other choice but to do everything we can, right? I hope the vet bills aren't driving you guys into the poor house though!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,999
    Best wishes for your kitty, Leeze!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thanks, guys! I have never dealt with anything like this, always had healthy kitties before Mr. Pickles. We felt uneasy at first because we did not know what was going on. But it is all looking much better now. The vet bills were part of why we decided not to go to the NY show, but it is all good. She is our precious little fuzzball and we don't want her to feel uncomfy or get sick. :)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Aww Leeze give Mr. Pickles a scratch behind the ears from me. Hopefully you've got the dosage right now and it becomes a routine and less stressful.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Thanks, guys! I have never dealt with anything like this, always had healthy kitties before Mr. Pickles. We felt uneasy at first because we did not know what was going on. But it is all looking much better now. The vet bills were part of why we decided not to go to the NY show, but it is all good. She is our precious little fuzzball and we don't want her to feel uncomfy or get sick. :)

Oh what we do for our animals.

And in return? Pretty much "yeah, fuck you...maybe - IF I'm inclined - thanks."

Wise sacrifice on your parts :)
  • Options
    this just made my whole life
    https://youtu.be/lqLX2Yvm8HQ
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

:lol:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    edited September 2015
    Fenris back in the bed too! After a warm summer sleeping by the window he's snuggling up on my spot in the bed...little fuzzy pants pushes me out of the way to get in the center of the pillows!

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I love this every time I see/hear it!

Here's the Beans hopped up on a fresh peacock feather.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Anyone else use those Greenies pill-hiding treats to give their kitties pills? I hope the person who invented this is a millionaire. Those things have probably been keeping my 19 year old little man alive for the past couple years. Leo just thinks he's a spoiled boy and gets 3 treats a day!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,999
    samjam said:

Anyone else use those Greenies pill-hiding treats to give their kitties pills? I hope the person who invented this is a millionaire. Those things have probably been keeping my 19 year old little man alive for the past couple years. Leo just thinks he's a spoiled boy and gets 3 treats a day!

19! Wow, great!

We used to give our Annie Temptations brand cat treats (various flavors) which she LOVES but then I realized they are junk food for cats. Now we give her a few Felines Greenies (catnip flavor) as a treat. She's likes them OK yet not as much as the junk food treats but they are a lot better for her health and her teeth.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    brianlux said:

samjam said:

19! Wow, great!

We used to give our Annie Temptations brand cat treats (various flavors) which she LOVES but then I realized they are junk food for cats. Now we give her a few Felines Greenies (catnip flavor) as a treat. She's likes them OK yet not as much as the junk food treats but they are a lot better for her health and her teeth.
    Seriously, that Greenie's brand is a godsend. They should make a catnip flavor for the Pill Pockets, too! Leo's favorite is the salmon flavor.

And yes, 19 years old! He is legitimately older than my little sister in people years by a few months! :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    brianlux said:

samjam said:

19! Wow, great!

My cat loooooooooooves the catnip flavor. He won't let me brush his teeth and I'm not putting him under anesthesia for a cleaning so that is his entire dental care routine for now. I bought all the flavors by now but the catnip is his favorite.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    ldent42 said:

OMG that cracked me up! Soooo cute! Looks like my mom's cat Mickey Rooney.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My girl in my crates.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind, she looks gorgeous!

You are all so lucky that your cats like treats :lol: Ours is not interested in any. She is a very picky eater... We are trying to offer different brands of food every now and then because we don't want her to develop a food allergy because she is always getting the same stuff. But nope.

When we gave her the pills, we did it with a pill popper from the vet. As long as the pills are not too big, works like a charm, but I prefer giving meds in fluid form. Crack the pills, mix with a tiny drop of water, suck it up in a syringe with no needle, and easily squeeze it in.
    We have now also moved our two palm plants (which were kitty safe) out of the house because we thought one of them had developed some kind of gunk, and we wanted to give it a try to see if the cat maybe also reacted on that. Living room is looking more empty now, but we are happy because it seems like she is doing good right now.
    We also got some new litter. It's a special one for cats with respiratory issues and has the least amount of dust possible. It is crazy how big of a market for stuff like that is out there once you get a diagnosis...
  • Options
    Oh, and the other day, I checked on her during the day and found her like this :rofl: She is so funny.

• Options

dankind, she looks gorgeous!

You are all so lucky that your cats like treats :lol: Ours is not interested in any. She is a very picky eater... We are trying to offer different brands of food every now and then because we don't want her to develop a food allergy because she is always getting the same stuff. But nope.

When we gave her the pills, we did it with a pill popper from the vet. As long as the pills are not too big, works like a charm, but I prefer giving meds in fluid form. Crack the pills, mix with a tiny drop of water, suck it up in a syringe with no needle, and easily squeeze it in.
    We have now also moved our two palm plants (which were kitty safe) out of the house because we thought one of them had developed some kind of gunk, and we wanted to give it a try to see if the cat maybe also reacted on that. Living room is looking more empty now, but we are happy because it seems like she is doing good right now.
    We also got some new litter. It's a special one for cats with respiratory issues and has the least amount of dust possible. It is crazy how big of a market for stuff like that is out there once you get a diagnosis...

I switched to a clumping kitty little because my back was so fucked that changing the litter box with the old regular non-clumping litter left me paralysed for a couple hours afterward. This clumping stuff makes SO MUCH DUST I have been tempted to wear a face mask while changing it. I've never seen a cloud of dust after pouring fresh littler into the box until I started using this stuff. But it is about a million times easier on my back so I'm sticking with it for now.

I also picked up the new Meow Mix brand treats (they were on sale, I figured a little extra treat would be nice) strangely my cats don't really care for it. I mean they eat it, but mostly cuz I put it in with the dry food. Not like the greenies which they go nuts for.
  • Options
    Our cat is on a grain free mostly fish diet. Her dry food is from Natural balance, and she likes that. As for the litter, we used to get the bulk one from petco, which is a clumping one as well, and was super dusty. Now we switched to this stuff. It is only dusty when you pour it in, and the dust is minimal. She seems to be ok with it. image
  • Options
    Leeze, she looks stoned.

Yeah, we have NO plants in our home anymore. Sucks. Can't even have roses or other flowers since they eat them (not poisonous but oh man does it give them the runs).
  • Options
    But her pupils are tiny :lol: She takes regular sunbaths in that room, it gets the most sunlight in the house. Then she is pretty lethargic :lol: I always had plants in the house, so I'm a bit sad that this is how it ended now. But we still got cat grass in the window. She loves eating her grass. And she prefers to be petted while doing it. We have no idea why.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    My two loves

imagephoto 2015-08-15 12.47.32_zps9sjjdqdc.jpg" />
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,414
    ^^^^ Love it. :smile:
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    I come home to kitty napping in her post in the sun.

Oh, now she notices me.

And full on, I'm a crazy kitty.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243

Oh, and the other day, I checked on her during the day and found her like this :rofl: She is so funny.

:lol: That is fantastic, Leeze.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Thank you, SD :smiley:
  • Options
    I love the narrative, ND.

Cats are just hilarious.

George has always been a faucet-water drinker. This morning, for the first time, Beans decided she shall give it a go as well.

George = loud and sloppy slurper
    Beanie = ladylike, delicate