Options

~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Crumble (I love the name) looks like he's living quite the good life.

There's nothing like seeing a kitten through so many years.

And WH, that pose is priceless!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited July 2015
    So my cat has recently had a behavioural change that is making me a bit sad. She's 13 and I've had her since she was a kitten, and she's never done this before. She simply lost a desire for a lot of affection. Up until recently, she was obsessed with snuggling with me, especially in bed. She used to sleep with me, next to my pillow. But all of a sudden she just doesn't. She isn't interested in the bed or in snuggles, and she now sleeps out on the couch. I miss my snuggler. :( No other behaviour has changed. She's no more or less active, her appetite is fine, eyes are still bright, she doesn't seem depressed, she is just as capable of jumping on and off stuff, etc. The only other difference is that she is also spending more time outside than she used to, like hanging out on the balcony, chillin'. Whether I'm out there or not makes no difference, so she doesn't seem to be avoiding me at all. She actually seems to appreciate my general presence in a room as much as she always did, unless it's my bedrooms. She'll still come say hi when I'm in bed, or ask for a few scratches in the bed (she lures me there) so she's not totally avoiding the space, but then she leaves again. And she's not snuggly elsewhere either, like on the couch. She just hangs out on the back of it near me instead of going for me directly like she often used to (what, do I stink?? Lol).

I haven't changed my behaviour or routine either, nor her diet. Nothing. I thought it was maybe the heat wave, but that's been over for a bit now, and she's still being relatively unaffectionate. She still asks to be pet and stuff, so she's not outright avoiding me or anything... but this is a big change for her. Obviously I'm not taking her to the vet with this, since without any other symptoms to go on, the vet (aka ripoff artist) would just suggest a bunch of insanely expensive random tests without even knowing what to look for, and I can't afford that.

Anyone experienced this kind of thing before? I'm not really worried about her physical health. I just miss her sweet cuddly nature! And am concerned she's got some kind of emotional/mental thing going on, but I can't think of anything that would have caused such a thing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ, I think it's just age. Not you - there's obviously love there - it might be simply her.

Our Beans is about nine years old and she's become more affectionate (and talkative) very recently.

They do what they need to do - they reach out and pull back in the same way.

From what you've said, she seems happy and healthy - and LOVED - and, adjusting.

We do that as well; so should they.

Hope you don't stress too much :)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Are you using any new products? Soap deodorant toothpaste shampoo? Remember how sensitive their sense of smell is.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Are you using any new products? Soap deodorant toothpaste shampoo? Remember how sensitive their sense of smell is.

So i DO stink. :angry::lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonist said:

PJ, I think it's just age. Not you - there's obviously love there - it might be simply her.

Our Beans is about nine years old and she's become more affectionate (and talkative) very recently.

From what you've said, she seems happy and healthy - and LOVED - and, adjusting.

Yeah, so maybe she's just becoming a crotchety old lady, in other words? That's possible.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Eliot Spencer looking rather sassy today...

Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Yeah, so maybe she's just becoming a crotchety old lady, in other words? That's possible.
    Probably, though you best know her temperament - and it's easy for me to opine from a distance (though I wish her well!).

Also remember she's now in her teen years!

PJSiren, love those eyes.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735
    Saw this on my cat calendar today, made my day!

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Siamese Eddie! Sweetness.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,414
    That's awesome!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited July 2015
    An oldie but a goodie...this never fails to make me crack up!
    Meet Collective Soul Cat!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7Z8ag4oSY
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,414
    samjam said:

:smile:
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hobbes said:

samjam said:

:smile:
    This makes me smile everyone!
  • Options
    I have a really tough dilemma. Scooter has not ceased scratching and tearing up things here. The only two options I have left are declawing him, or regoming him. I hate the clipper declaw.. And am not quite sure about hiw effective And or less traumatic the laser process of declawing seems to ve. I'm so sad.. I really love my kitty..but to possibly
    Maim him would kill me. And make me a total *. So torn right now..
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Hey have you ever heard of Pam Johnson-Bennett? Shes an expert on cats. She hosts Animal Planet UK's Psycho Kitty. She also writes books about cats. Maybe she has an answer for you?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options

Hey have you ever heard of Pam Johnson-Bennett? Shes an expert on cats. She hosts Animal Planet UK's Psycho Kitty. She also writes books about cats. Maybe she has an answer for you?

Yes, I love her and Jackson Gakaxy's works.. But we have run through everything. Lemon oil, double sided tape... ( he actually rips it off ghe furniture and plays with it.. So ghat backfired), soft pass claw caps, aluminum foil. And ghe ever wallet murdering pherrmkbe collars and sprays. I think I'll ask his vet what he thinks.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Can't you just try trimming his nails? I mean I do understand that you don't like having your stuff shred to pieces, but declawing is horrible in my opinion... Maybe he needs a proper playing spot that is more alluring than the furniture. Good luck.

PJ_Soul - our cat is like that, has always been. She demands long belly rubs, but won't come and snuggle on your lap or stuff. She sleeps on our bed, but not close by us. She is a little weirdo :lol: I would have thought maybe it is getting to warm for your kitty. Hm. Maybe it is something in your mattress or bedding? Since the vet discovered that our cat hat all kinds of allergies, we have started to take action. We bought a mattress cover that is supposed to keep anything inside that might be harmful to an allergic person or pet. I keep vacuuming like a lunatic. The kitty is still on "every other day" steroids, and yesterday we have given her her first allergy shot at home. I did not like it, but at least it did not take long. The first half hour afterwards i was a little nervous, hoping that she would not show a reaction, but everything was fine. Hopefully, this immunotherapy will help her. She does seem better.
  • Options

Can't you just try trimming his nails? I mean I do understand that you don't like having your stuff shred to pieces, but declawing is horrible in my opinion... Maybe he needs a proper playing spot that is more alluring than the furniture. Good luck.

PJ_Soul - our cat is like that, has always been. She demands long belly rubs, but won't come and snuggle on your lap or stuff. She sleeps on our bed, but not close by us. She is a little weirdo :lol: I would have thought maybe it is getting to warm for your kitty. Hm. Maybe it is something in your mattress or bedding? Since the vet discovered that our cat hat all kinds of allergies, we have started to take action. We bought a mattress cover that is supposed to keep anything inside that might be harmful to an allergic person or pet. I keep vacuuming like a lunatic. The kitty is still on "every other day" steroids, and yesterday we have given her her first allergy shot at home. I did not like it, but at least it did not take long. The first half hour afterwards i was a little nervous, hoping that she would not show a reaction, but everything was fine. Hopefully, this immunotherapy will help her. She does seem better.

I agree that declawing is horrible. But I have literally gone through everything I know.. And then some.... If it was my house, it would be thrift store furniture, and I would'nt give a shit.. What's 60 bucks to replace a couch.. Chair etc... But I'm staying with my parents right now, and they don't have cheap ANYTHING! Scooter is sharpening his claws on the 2000 dollar couch and love seat set!! So my options left are.. Declawing or rehoming.. And I feel like a ultimate piece of shit for even ck spidering declawing him; I have seen such horror stories come out if declawing.
  • Options
    Ok k guess I'm finding my kitty a new home. It costs waaaay too much. And I just can't see putting him through all that for selfish reasons. So I'm gonna go cry.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. You're right not to declaw (especially as an adult cat). I'm sure you've tried it but since it hasn't been mentioned, have you gotten scratching posts and the like? Ours still get to the furniture but use the many we have around home too.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I'm so sorry you're going through this. You're right not to declaw (especially as an adult cat). I'm sure you've tried it but since it hasn't been mentioned, have you gotten scratching posts and the like? Ours still get to the furniture but use the many we have around home too.

There's three scratching posts for just the one cat!! He uses all of them AND my mom's gorgeous couches.. :-(
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    Well, this royally sucks :( Our cat, thankfully, was never interested in the vinyl shelf or books or couch. she does have scratchpads made of cardboard. Her nails are trimmed. Are his? I hope you find a solution.

I bet you have read up already, but maybe here are some more thoughts that might help:
    http://www.catscratching.com/
    How to get Kitty to prefer the post.
    Remember that an important part of scratching is the cat's desire to mark a territory, so a scratching post should be in an area that's used by the family, not hidden in a back corner. After a time you can move the post away to the periphery of the room, but you'll need to do this gradually.
    Initially, put the post where your cat goes to scratch. This may be by a sofa, a chair or wherever Kitty has chosen as her territiory, and you may need more than one post to cover her favorite spots. Security is a major factor in making the post appealing to your cat. If it topples or shakes, she won't use it. It should either be secured to the floor or have a base wide enough and heavy enough to keep it stable.
    Encourage Kitty to use her post with clever enticements. Feed her and play with her by the post. Rub dried catnip leaves or powder into it. Make all the asssociations with the post pleasurable. Reward her with a favorite treat when she uses it. Have her chase a string or a toy around the post or attach toys to it, which will result in her digging her claws into it. Eventually she will learn to love it and regard it as her own. It's also a good idea to put a post where Kitty sleeps. Cats like to scratch when they awaken, especially in the morning and the middle of the night. If space permits, a scratching post in every room of the house is a cat's delight. The most important place is the area of the house in which you and Kitty spend the most time. I have many sisal posts in my house, yet often in the morning my cats line up to use the one in the living room.

If at first Kitty is reluctant to give up her old scratching areas, there are means you can use to discourage her. Covering the area with aluminum foil or double-sided tape is a great deterrent. These surfaces don't have a texture that feels good to scratch.

Remember too that Kitty has marked her favorite spots with her scent as well as her claws. You may need to remove her scent from the areas you want to distract her away from. You will find pet odor removers in pet stores and many supermarkets as well.

Cats have an aversion to citrus odors. Use lemon-scented sprays or a potpourri of lemon and orange peels to make her former scratching sites less agreeable to her.

If Kitty still persists in scratching the furniture, try squirting her with a water gun or a spray bottle set on stream. Another option is a loud whistle or other noise-maker. You must employ these deterrents while she is scratching for them to be effective. The point is to establish an aversion to the spot you don't want her to scratch.

• Options

Well, this royally sucks :( Our cat, thankfully, was never interested in the vinyl shelf or books or couch. she does have scratchpads made of cardboard. Her nails are trimmed. Are his? I hope you find a solution.

I bet you have read up already, but maybe here are some more thoughts that might help:
    http://www.catscratching.com/
    How to get Kitty to prefer the post.
    Remember that an important part of scratching is the cat's desire to mark a territory, so a scratching post should be in an area that's used by the family, not hidden in a back corner. After a time you can move the post away to the periphery of the room, but you'll need to do this gradually.
    Initially, put the post where your cat goes to scratch. This may be by a sofa, a chair or wherever Kitty has chosen as her territiory, and you may need more than one post to cover her favorite spots. Security is a major factor in making the post appealing to your cat. If it topples or shakes, she won't use it. It should either be secured to the floor or have a base wide enough and heavy enough to keep it stable.
    Encourage Kitty to use her post with clever enticements. Feed her and play with her by the post. Rub dried catnip leaves or powder into it. Make all the asssociations with the post pleasurable. Reward her with a favorite treat when she uses it. Have her chase a string or a toy around the post or attach toys to it, which will result in her digging her claws into it. Eventually she will learn to love it and regard it as her own. It's also a good idea to put a post where Kitty sleeps. Cats like to scratch when they awaken, especially in the morning and the middle of the night. If space permits, a scratching post in every room of the house is a cat's delight. The most important place is the area of the house in which you and Kitty spend the most time. I have many sisal posts in my house, yet often in the morning my cats line up to use the one in the living room.

If at first Kitty is reluctant to give up her old scratching areas, there are means you can use to discourage her. Covering the area with aluminum foil or double-sided tape is a great deterrent. These surfaces don't have a texture that feels good to scratch.

Remember too that Kitty has marked her favorite spots with her scent as well as her claws. You may need to remove her scent from the areas you want to distract her away from. You will find pet odor removers in pet stores and many supermarkets as well.

Cats have an aversion to citrus odors. Use lemon-scented sprays or a potpourri of lemon and orange peels to make her former scratching sites less agreeable to her.

If Kitty still persists in scratching the furniture, try squirting her with a water gun or a spray bottle set on stream. Another option is a loud whistle or other noise-maker. You must employ these deterrents while she is scratching for them to be effective. The point is to establish an aversion to the spot you don't want her to scratch.

We have gone through all of that... And j do trim
    His nails.. Then he just bites ghe furniture. ( which tells me that declawing would be ultra traumatic).. He's a really unique cat.. I really wish there was a way to stop him. But the more we try. The worse he scratches and bites. ( ghe furniture not us.) thinking of emailing Jackson Gskaxy.. I wish it was free to do that.. ( have him come help).
  • Options
    That really sucks WH. :( But finding another home for her is a far better option than declawing, which is basically torture to a cat and it has a very high risk for complications, so finding a new home definitely the right decision if trimming doesn't work. Honestly, any vet how would even be willing to declaw a cat should probably have his or her license revoked.
    Good luck in finding a new home..... could be hard to find someone willing to take a cat that destroys furniture. :confounded:
  • Options
    Well I got ahold of the Jackson Galaxy team yesterday.. I was shocked at how quickly they responded! Sent an email with my ph # attached and they called back within three hours! I was at work, and I had to excuse myself to take the call.. But none the less, I have a few more things to try now.. And so after having convinced my step mom that I'm working fervently in this issue, that we can give Scoots some more time to hopefully correct this. But the lady I talked to, was very knowledgeable, even though at times, it seemed she was reading a script. ( made me wonder how many phone calls they field each day?) so if this doesn't work, we may apply for the show!! Lol! Hopefully this works!
  • Options
    Great news, WH! Love Jackson - I hope his team's suggestions work.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Scooter can stay??? That is awesome!!!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    I do too!! He's a total weirdo! But so am I!! And how the lady explained things made soooo much sense given Scooter's personality. So I am going to try solution one, which is to sequester him into my room when I have to leave. Because when I leave it stresses him out... So he runs ghe borders of his territory marking it, trying to help me find my way home.. ( I swear this cat is a hemorrhoid!! But he's so cute!!) so today is day one of curtailed territory down to home base.. My room. I'll let ya'll know how it's working as we go along..
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

I do too!! He's a total weirdo! But so am I!! And how the lady explained things made soooo much sense given Scooter's personality. So I am going to try solution one, which is to sequester him into my room when I have to leave. Because when I leave it stresses him out... So he runs ghe borders of his territory marking it, trying to help me find my way home.. ( I swear this cat is a hemorrhoid!! But he's so cute!!) so today is day one of curtailed territory down to home base.. My room. I'll let ya'll know how it's working as we go along..

Feeling optimistic about this. Hopefully things will work out.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435