Post your daily workout

Comments

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • well, you won't be burning muscle tissue if you 1) eat enough and eat right, 2) get enough sleep. You definitely don't need 600 g of carbs per day. Bodybuilders do that much cardio and they're sometimes 300 lbs of muscle. That lifestyle is really unhealthy but it is an example that cardio doesn't eat away muscle if you're putting the right food and the right amount into your body.

I don't know about this guy... like you say... but when I try to dig deep into what he is saying it directs me to buying his book. I want to know about his research....

Finally, and most importantly, the critical FLAW of this guy's plan is that he is comparing what we do now for physical activity to our ancient ancestors... hunters and gatherers. WHY? WHY would we want to be as healthy as those who had a life expectancy of 30 freakin' years? Seems like an illogical assumption to me.

And I still think he is rationalizing a less difficult workout for those who don't want to work as hard and so he can sell those people a book. Just my opinion...

Download the free ebook, plenty of stuff in there to get your teeth into.

You certainly will be burning muscle tissue if you exercise for long periods of time at high intensity. The energy has to come from somewhere, and once you've burned the glycogen stored in your muscles off, glucose has to come from somewhere, and the only other source is your muscle which the body converts into glucose. The only way to counter that really would be to consume some glucose midway through your training - which would be completely counter productive if you were trying to burn fat off!

Body builders who subscribe to long bouts of cardio are still clinging on to the outdated methods of bulking and cutting. They may well be 300lbs of muscle at the end of a cut, but they almost certainly would have had more muscle before hand, they're just content to lose some of that with the fat. Most people realise today that interval training and a lower carbohydrate diets are the quickest ways of dropping fat whilst maintaining muscle mass. Take a look at olympic sprinters and then compare them with olympic long distance runners, who has the 'best' or most muscular/shredded physique?

In terms of his theory on the hunter gather lifestyle, their low death age (and our extended lifespans) it's far more likely to be down to the vast improvements in medicine over the last few thousand years! What's more, studies of modern day hunter gather tribes show that they are far healthier than those living the western lifestyle. They have significantly less incidences of heart disease and cancer, amongst other ailments.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Lots of running.....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    so um,
    it is my firm belief that people are out of their minds.
    in the men's locker room is where these older senior citizen men want to talk nonstop.
    i can't leave, i am fully showered and dressed out of my swimming suit.
    bag in hand or sitting on the bench next to me and i cannot leave; out of respect i stay & listen and share dialogue, after all i am conversationalist and enjoy others who have something of interest to say. but enough’s enough, holy shit. fuck.

next topic of health and fitness in the pool...RELIGION.
    talked briefly with a older gentleman twice before today.
    today we were in the pool doing our thing when we start to conventionalize.
    he asks me (not axe me :mrgreen: ) if i have ever read the bible.
    i replied i had not but knew of it and been to church more than once.

now they start in, he and her are now both quoting scriptures and whatnot. i told him and his side kick (some very religious lady, not his wife. for weeks now i've heard her go on and on about praying and the bible) that sounds like the ramblings of a drunken poet. he laughed, she got upset and started whispering about me to her g/f.

so now it's on.
    i told these people Christianity is basically shit and warlike and that the bible is a fairytale.
    i said "turn Christian or we will torture and murder you"

turns out he's a Korean war veteran who quit his job many years ago
    moved to the Bolivian jungle, lived there for 35 years, learned the native language, and then taught them Christianity.
    i'm pretty sure i feel bad for the native Bolivian jungle folk.
    i do recognize and appreciate this man's life.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Leg day, oh joy!

SQUATS 5 sets, 12 - 15 reps, medium weight (185 - 225)
    Leg press 4 sets, 12 - 15 reps, ? weight (5 or 6 plates on each side)
    Deadlifts 3 sets, 12 - 15 reps, light weight (my back is hurty)
    Quad extensions 4 sets, 15 - 20 reps, 80 - 100 lbs
    Lunges, 3 sets, 20 reps w/ 30 lb dumbbells
    Calf raises, standing calf raises, 6 sets or so
    puke.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Went for a 10-15 min jog last night with my Boxer (well, jog walk jog walk jog walk...there is no way I can jog for 15 mins straight :lol: ) --- and then came home and did another 10 mins work on abs, arms, butt.

Just woke up....my calves are a bit sore. :?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Today I'm doing back, biceps, and abs.

30 pull ups without rest.
    wide grip pulls ups (3 sets of 10)
    rows (4 sets of 10)
    bent over rows (3 sets of 12)
    lat extentions (3 sets of 10 - 12)

bar curls (4 sets of 12)
    seated curls (4 sets of 10)
    hammer curls (3 sets of 12)
    preacher curls (3 sets of 10)

abs for 10 minutes
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    2 hours worth of swimming laps

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    um... yeah
    this

and some weight lifting

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Haven't posted in a while, but still working out - just not as focused this past year. Mostly I just worked out for fun and fitness not per a triathlon training plan or anything, and I enjoyed it. I ran a couple of running races - a 4 miler in June and a 5k in July. Now I have a 10 miler coming up on Saturday. I've done that particular race for the last 11 years which is every year it has been held. I now feel compelled to do it every year so regardless of how fast I will be on Saturday I intend to get through it.

I participated in two sprint triathlons this past summer - my swimming still sucks, but they were fun. I did most of my swimming this past summer in lakes and ponds (and once in the Ohio River) which I enjoyed more than swimming laps in the pool. Now with cold weather I am back in the pool.

I really neglected my cycling this year. Most of my rides were 16-30 miles - very few rides farther than that. But we also had an extremely hot summer with 63 days over 90 degrees and over 100 heat index. That was my excuse to take it easy. Plus I had no long events scheduled.

I am still trying to figure out how to work in strengthening on a regular basis. I've finally decided that a big work-out plan won't work. I need to focus on doing some individual exercises whenever I have a few minutes instead of trying to find a 1/2hour or 1 hour block of time to strengthen.

Is DonJon still around?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'll be adding swimming to my routine.... very soon - I can't wait !!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:
    I'll be adding swimming to my routine.... very soon - I can't wait !!!

I'm really glad I started swimming a few years ago even though I am terrible at it. It is good to know how swim for real instead of doing the "turtle" with head stuck up above the water. It has also been good for upper body and cross training. When my joints are tired and sore swimming is a great alternative.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I am still trying to figure out how to work in strengthening on a regular basis. I've finally decided that a big work-out plan won't work. I need to focus on doing some individual exercises whenever I have a few minutes instead of trying to find a 1/2hour or 1 hour block of time to strengthen.

Is DonJon still around?

if you absolutely can't find 40 - 60 minutes to do weight training... basic movements will do:

push ups
    pull ups
    sit ups

if you have weights, these excersizes will provide the greatest benefit if done 2 - 3 times a week for a few minutes:

squats/lunges
    military press (over your head)
    lateral raises
    rows
    curls
    skull crushers
    dips

I also bought one of those gyro-thingies. :D You can get them at any outdoor store. It is like a little ball you hold and spin it around... it is really good for your grip and forearm strength.
    Thanks very much for the advice He Still Stands. I am going to make a note of your recommendations and keep it here by my desk. I have a set of hand weights here at the office. And I can probably work in a couple of those at the gym before I swim. As to the gyro thingie I have no idea what that is, but will check it out when I get the chance.
  • Thanks very much for the advice He Still Stands. I am going to make a note of your recommendations and keep it here by my desk. I have a set of hand weights here at the office. And I can probably work in a couple of those at the gym before I swim. As to the gyro thingie I have no idea what that is, but will check it out when I get the chance.

here ya go... this thing is great because it really strengthens your forearms, wrists, and hands. Typically, in weight training these areas are totally neglected. When I'm watching TV sometimes I'll sit and spin this thing for 10 or 15 minutes. After doing it for a few weeks you can squeeze the water out of a rock. Mine cost $20 from EAstern Mountain Sports.

http://www.nextag.com/gyro-ball/shop-html
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i've had pneumonia all week. not happy. ate a lot surprisingly. but didn't move.

haven't taken a week off the gym in over a year. sucks.
    Thanks very much for the advice He Still Stands. I am going to make a note of your recommendations and keep it here by my desk. I have a set of hand weights here at the office. And I can probably work in a couple of those at the gym before I swim. As to the gyro thingie I have no idea what that is, but will check it out when I get the chance.

here ya go... this thing is great because it really strengthens your forearms, wrists, and hands. Typically, in weight training these areas are totally neglected. When I'm watching TV sometimes I'll sit and spin this thing for 10 or 15 minutes. After doing it for a few weeks you can squeeze the water out of a rock. Mine cost $20 from EAstern Mountain Sports.

http://www.nextag.com/gyro-ball/shop-html

Looks interesting, and easy.
    megatron wrote:
    i've had pneumonia all week. not happy. ate a lot surprisingly. but didn't move.

haven't taken a week off the gym in over a year. sucks.

That's not good. It will take a little while for you to get back to full speed after pneumonia. Take it easy.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm back to walking on the treadmill three or four times a week. It's not as fun as swimming but it seems to do more good for my body. :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Made it through my 10 mile race on Saturday and did it faster than I anticipated I would. 1 hr. 25 minutes and 11 seconds. I was 79th out of 226 runners and considering my advanced age I think that was pretty good. That was the 12th year I have done that race. Out of the 12 years that was my 6th fastest time. I got 2nd in my age group.

I did an easy bike ride yesterday, and swam this morning - 1,300 yards.
  • ran 6 miles today at lunch. 48 minutes (8 minute miles) at a 2% uphill grade. I took a cold shower but I still sweated through my clothes and am stinky now :sick:

tomorrow is chest/biceps/abs. I'm going for a 350 lb bench which would be a personal best! :D
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOP9J7QPwI

I did this today, "The Bear." I did the whole thing as described at the beginning of the video: 7 sets of the sequence and 5 rounds.

Rounds 1 and 2: 115 lbs
    Rounds 3 and 4: 135 lbs
    Round 5: 145 lbs (failed after set 3, then did 3 more, rested again, and finally finished)

I rested about 3 or 4 minutes between each round, the entire thing took about 40 minutes. I was REALLLLLLY close to vomiting, so you know it was a good workout. :sick:
  • leg day. squat til ya :sick:

squats

185 * 12
    225 * 10
    225 * 9
    245 * 6
    255 * 6
    185 * 15

leg curls, 4 * 10-12

leg extenstions 4 * 10 - 15

calf raises 6 * 8 - 15

stretched for about 15 minutes

.......... then I caught some dude staring at my hog in the locker room. :shock:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    yesterday i did a muscle camp class at the gym and did about 50 walking lunges around the room carrying 8 lb. weights. I can barely walk today!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:
    yesterday i did a muscle camp class at the gym and did about 50 walking lunges around the room carrying 8 lb. weights. I can barely walk today!!!

lunges are GREAT for the ass, hammies, and quads. Add squats and deadlifts (and calf raises) to that and you have a complete lower body workout.
    Alright people....I'm baaaack! Been fully back into exercise for the past week or so.

I've started swimming every second day....40 laps of my mum and dad's 12 metre (39') pool. That fucks me which is pretty sad....but I'm going to try to build up to 100 laps. I do groups of four laps -- 4 freestyle, 4 breaststroke, 4 backstroke....and repeat.

I've also started doing the Tracy Anderson hour long workout again. Trying to do that 3-4 times a week. Works legs, abs, arms which is really good.

Also walking my dogs up the hill behind my house which takes 30 mins of so over rocks, up timber stairs, through grass etc. That fucks me too. Legs have been a bit jellyish afterwards. Trying to do that on the days I don't swim.

Looking at having kids soon so need to pick up my fitness levels before I fall so I can continue to exercise at that level while pregnant. Time's a ticking....no time to waste....fitness levels must increase asap.

Also eating extremely healthy. And quit smoking pot and drinking for well over 2 weeks now. Feel fucking great.
    chadwick wrote:

What size pool? And how many laps? Any particular stroke/s?

Two hours?? Fuck....that's a lot!
  • I haven't exercised one bit since last summer.
    Everyone says I look fine, flat tummy, but I am close to 90kg.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    Also eating extremely healthy. And quit smoking pot and drinking for well over 2 weeks now. Feel fucking great.

Awesome on the eating healthy part...

BUMMER on the no smoking pot...

I can go months without drinking, and it really helps me physically, but getting together and smoking pot with my buddies and solving the mysteries of the universe is much needed. Plus I always feel 10x better the next day, more relaxed, able to concentrate, etc.

For us "workout warriors" I think pot is definitely preferable to booze (or other drugs).
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    first workout since i broke my heels 4 weeks ago. i'm sore.
    quitting drinking sunday for 30 days to get back in shape. it's night and day results for me with no booze