***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer wrote:
    oh man...

If you polled some of the scouts who do the divisional coverage and ask them which player they respect the most, a lot of votes would go to Chase Utley, because the scouts are convinced that he plays through injuries as much as anybody in the game -- without complaining, without talking about his ailments, without making excuses.

And right now, a lot of those evaluators are convinced that he is not close to being 100 percent physically.

Two years ago, one scout noticed in June that Utley did not seem right, and at season's end, Utley had hip surgery. And the same scout is seeing a lot of the same things this season. "The tell-tale sign for me is how he is not getting to pitches in the lower half of the strike zone, which makes me wonder if his (perceived injury) might be affecting his balance at the plate," said the scout. "He's a guy who has always thrived on balls in the lower half of the strike zone -- he murders them -- and he's just not getting to them these days."

Said a rival executive: "He just does not look right to me at all."

not good - scary to think it might be a Bo Jackson situation where the hip is never right again.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    oh man...

If you polled some of the scouts who do the divisional coverage and ask them which player they respect the most, a lot of votes would go to Chase Utley, because the scouts are convinced that he plays through injuries as much as anybody in the game -- without complaining, without talking about his ailments, without making excuses.

And right now, a lot of those evaluators are convinced that he is not close to being 100 percent physically.

Two years ago, one scout noticed in June that Utley did not seem right, and at season's end, Utley had hip surgery. And the same scout is seeing a lot of the same things this season. "The tell-tale sign for me is how he is not getting to pitches in the lower half of the strike zone, which makes me wonder if his (perceived injury) might be affecting his balance at the plate," said the scout. "He's a guy who has always thrived on balls in the lower half of the strike zone -- he murders them -- and he's just not getting to them these days."

not good - scary to think it might be a Bo Jackson situation where the hip is never right again.

oh geez, that would absolutely suck

they don't even have the option of moving him to 1B now either because of the albatross
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    The Fixer wrote:
    oh man...

i don't know if i'm buying this right now but if he's really hurt he needs to man up and say so. i appreciated what he did in '08. but he was obviously hurt and it really affected his play down the stretch. if you're hurt, say so, and get it fixed now, to help out the team and your own career in the long run.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    I don't think this is a Bo Jackson type injury. If it's an injury, I still don't think that's the main problem here. He just doesn't look right at his approach at the plate - not as much as his swings as much as his pitch selection. He's swinging at pitches I never see him swing at.
    Solid series win. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I think Cole and Roy are pitching in this series coming up, so that's good. I'll be there with the Pops on Dad Day on Sunday watching the Doc pitch. Word.

Hey, Sawyer Douche, if ya see this - that's how it works when you're not a douche, ya see. I am taking my dad to a game with my season tickets, and not the other way around.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Solid series win. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I think Cole and Roy are pitching in this series coming up, so that's good. I'll be there with the Pops on Dad Day on Sunday watching the Doc pitch. Word.

Hey, Sawyer Douche, if ya see this - that's how it works when you're not a douche, ya see. I am taking my dad to a game with my season tickets, and not the other way around.

Your Dad isn't paying ? Maybe he can take you out after for some sliders

We're heading down on Saturday me and Dad...4 rows off the field 1st baseline..can't wait
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    great pitching the last two games! Kendrick and Moyer were great. Offense seemed to come around also. Was surprised they took 2 out of 3 from the Yanks. Glad we are back home this weekend.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    CRAZY K'S!!! :lol:

que up the rocky soundtrack...this team is getting off the mat...
    www.myspace.com
    great pitching the last two games! Kendrick and Moyer were great. Offense seemed to come around also. Was surprised they took 2 out of 3 from the Yanks. Glad we are back home this weekend.

funny how when this team hits home runs they win games.
    pjhawks wrote:

pitching
    defense
    hitting

all 3 were fantastic last night. polanco's catch on the tarp was nuts.

i think we take 2 of 3 from the twins with halladay and hamels both on the mound...GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

pitching
    defense
    hitting

i think we take 2 of 3 from the twins with halladay and hamels both on the mound...GO. PHILS.

Polanco's catch was awesome and I'm not a big fan of his defense at 3rd. Great effort by Kendrick - at times he has pitched way better than i could imagine he would.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    pitching
    defense
    hitting

Polanco's catch was awesome and I'm not a big fan of his defense at 3rd. Great effort by Kendrick - at times he has pitched way better than i could imagine he would.

hard to ask for more from both kendrick and moyer this year. i doubt it will last all year though.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

really? polanco has been much better defensively than I thought he'd be. his arm is a lot stronger than I thought it was. why don't you like his defense?

if happ is healthy I'd rather have kendrick in the rotation than moyer
    Knew something had to be wrong with The Beast. Not great news, but we can take solace in the fact that it's not his hip.

This is from an interview with Davey Lopes and Baseball Prospectus.

BP: You mentioned that the team isn’t running as well this season. Is that reversible, or indicative of a team that is maybe getting a bit older and slower?

Lopes: Well, I wouldn’t say that it’s not reversible, but the only way that it’s going to get any better is to, a) Get Jimmy Rollins back and he’s healthy; b) The other guys that aren’t attempting to run need to start putting pressure on the defense by running. Now, I can’t force them to run. All that I can do is point out certain things, and then it’s up to them. But Victorino is starting to come along, and right now he is really the only one running, or attempting to steal, because Jimmy is hurt. Chase has had some problems with his knee, and Jayson has had a horrendous slump for the last month or so. So I think that once they just get back to hitting, and back to winning—these things help us win. When you get on base and the opposition presents you with an opportunity to steal a base—if we don’t capitalize, we’re only defeating what we’re built around.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

really? polanco has been much better defensively than I thought he'd be. his arm is a lot stronger than I thought it was. why don't you like his defense?

he has no range. always too close to line too. seen way too many balls hit to his left either find the hole or bounce off his glove. maybe part of that is rollins not being in the lineup though.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

he has no range. always too close to line too. seen way too many balls hit to his left either find the hole or bounce off his glove. maybe part of that is rollins not being in the lineup though.

yeah, I'd have to disagree with you there. I think he's been as good, if not better than feliz. I thought feliz's range was overrated.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, I'd have to disagree with you there. I think he's been as good, if not better than feliz. I thought feliz's range was overrated.

Feliz's defense has always been overrated. Polanco has been an anchor at 3rd. Not even a question between signing him or resigning Pete. Best fielding percentage in the league.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Knew something had to be wrong with The Beast. Not great news, but we can take solace in the fact that it's not his hip.

This is from an interview with Davey Lopes and Baseball Prospectus.

BP: You mentioned that the team isn’t running as well this season. Is that reversible, or indicative of a team that is maybe getting a bit older and slower?

Lopes: Well, I wouldn’t say that it’s not reversible, but the only way that it’s going to get any better is to, a) Get Jimmy Rollins back and he’s healthy; b) The other guys that aren’t attempting to run need to start putting pressure on the defense by running. Now, I can’t force them to run. All that I can do is point out certain things, and then it’s up to them. But Victorino is starting to come along, and right now he is really the only one running, or attempting to steal, because Jimmy is hurt. Chase has had some problems with his knee, and Jayson has had a horrendous slump for the last month or so. So I think that once they just get back to hitting, and back to winning—these things help us win. When you get on base and the opposition presents you with an opportunity to steal a base—if we don’t capitalize, we’re only defeating what we’re built around.

Huge Lopes fan.

Feliz's defense has always been overrated. Polanco has been an anchor at 3rd. Not even a question between signing him or resigning Pete. Best fielding percentage in the league.

again with over used stats like fielding percentage - lack of range leads to only having easy balls to play thus high fielding percentage. although i total agree on the signing Polanco over Feliz but don't even try and tell me you think Polanco is close to Feliz defensively.
    fat joe better get his shit together starting tonight...

2 out of 3 from the twinkies with j roll coming back next week......here...we...go.....

LET'S GO.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

again with over used stats like fielding percentage - lack of range leads to only having easy balls to play thus high fielding percentage. although i total agree on the signing Polanco over Feliz but don't even try and tell me you think Polanco is close to Feliz defensively.

No, I will. Because playing third base isn't about range, it's about reaction. You use range at short and second. What I'm saying is the difference between Polanco this year and Feliz the past two is negligible.

Jeags, I think Rollins may be in the lineup on Sunday.
    pjhawks wrote:

I agree that fielding percentage is pretty useless. I don't think feliz was anything special at 3rd. He was solid, but he had limited range. feliz moved like an 80 year old man in the field...there's no way in hell feliz even comes close to making that play on the tarp last night. I think polanco has been just as good if not better.

whether or not polanco can maintain this caliber of play for 2.5 more years is the question. amaro loves outbidding himself
    The Fixer wrote:
    I agree that fielding percentage is pretty useless. I don't think feliz was anything special at 3rd. He was solid, but he had limited range. feliz moved like an 80 year old man in the field. I think polanco has been just as good if not better.

whether or not polanco can maintain this caliber of play for 2.5 more years is the question. amaro loves outbidding himself

Again, because 3rd has nothing to do with range.
    pjhawks wrote:

No, I will. Because playing third base isn't about range, it's about reaction. You use range at short and second. What I'm saying is the difference between Polanco this year and Feliz the past two is negligible.

Jeags, I think Rollins may be in the lineup on Sunday.

I believe they have an off day on monday. I hope they're smart and wait until tuesday. there's no rush to bring him back with 90+ games left
    The Fixer wrote:
    I believe they have an off day on monday. I hope they're smart and wait until tuesday. there's no rush to bring him back with 90+ games left

I wouldn't mind seeing him at the game on Sunday - even as a pinch hitter.

And who told Carl Pavano he could pitch again?
    The Fixer wrote:

alyssa milano. I'd listen to her too
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I think I wouldn't give a shit about wearing a mustache too if I was giving her the business. I'd drape myself in velvet if that was the case.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I think I wouldn't give a shit about wearing a mustache too if I was giving her the business. I'd drape myself in velvet if that was the case.[/quote]

would you attempt to eat a pastrami sandwich at the same time?
    www.myspace.com
    would you attempt to eat a pastrami sandwich at the same time?

....of course, while watching TV at the same time too.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I think I wouldn't give a shit about wearing a mustache too if I was giving her the business. I'd drape myself in velvet if that was the case.

would you attempt to eat a pastrami sandwich at the same time?[/quote]

the most sentual of all cured meats
This discussion has been closed.