***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    that's why he's great. he doesn't have to be hitting to help this team win. that slide was awesome. can't say the same thing about others...specifically the guy with the highest salary on the team

I hear ya. All I know is this team - this year - hasn't given me the same feeling this team has from '05-'09. The feeling that even if they're down by 6 runs, even by eight runs, that there's a chance they'll come back. Haven't seen or had that feeling all year. Don't see that same grittiness as before. But, it's early, we will see.

yeah, still early. I'm not worried yet. like you said earlier, getting rollins back should help everyone. They've had a bunch of injuries early on...they were among the healthiest teams in baseball the last couple years.

you guys flipping to the strasburg debut? one word -- wow. sucks he's in the NL East
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    that's why he's great. he doesn't have to be hitting to help this team win. that slide was awesome. can't say the same thing about others...specifically the guy with the highest salary on the team

I hear ya. All I know is this team - this year - hasn't given me the same feeling this team has from '05-'09. The feeling that even if they're down by 6 runs, even by eight runs, that there's a chance they'll come back. Haven't seen or had that feeling all year. Don't see that same grittiness as before. But, it's early, we will see.

yeah, still early. I'm not worried yet. like you said earlier, getting rollins back should help everyone. They've had a bunch of injuries early on...they were among the healthiest teams in baseball the last couple years.

you guys flipping to the strasburg debut? one word -- wow. sucks he's in the NL East

Haven't yet. Been in my room doing some work and watching on the tube. Need to go out in the den to see MLBN. Though I just saw they showed Stanton's dad in the crowd at the Phils game, and I'm assuming that dude's adopted. Because a white crypt keeper he is not.
    I'm willing to wait out Ibanez till like the all star break or there abouts - somewhere in July. If things don't change, then I think your only option is to DFA him. That way Francisco can get more playing time and you could platoon him with Brown.

Either way, you can't bring him back in 2011 unless he all of a sudden did a 180 the rest of the way.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah it feels like "one of those years" when they dont really get out of the funk

I hope I'm wrong and they turn it around

Nice comeback tonight hopefully Lidge can hold it
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I'm willing to wait out Ibanez till like the all star break or there abouts - somewhere in July. If things don't change, then I think your only option is to DFA him. That way Francisco can get more playing time and you could platoon him with Brown.

Either way, you can't bring him back in 2011 unless he all of a sudden did a 180 the rest of the way.

Nice 4 hit game tonight

The man is still a professional hitter so he can turn it on again no doubt

Nice 4 hit game tonight

Meh. They were all singles. Nothing too impressive.

Nice 4 hit game tonight

True but as bad as hes looked I'll take it

Plus I have his Stars/Stripes T-shirt he better fuckin wake up !

Don't care about the bases juiced. Lidge is back. Finally.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    Don't care about the bases juiced. Lidge is back. Finally.

yeah that was pretty awesome to see.

i think raul matched his hit total from the past 30 days tonight. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

Nice 4 hit game tonight

wait, isn't the most important statistic on-base percentage? even more than the home runs?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    pjhawks wrote:

wait, isn't the most important statistic on-base percentage? even more than the home runs?

Not sure but ya know what I always thought was an underrated baseball stat: run scored. People get so much credit for an RBI....but you can get an RBI on a groundout to the 2nd baseman if there's a guy on 3rd. To score a run, you have to get on base and somehow make it around...which seems more difficult.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    pjhawks wrote:

dude, you're the one that said lidge throws a sinker.

and home runs sure are better when people are on base
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

dude, you're the one that said lidge throws a sinker.

and home runs sure are better when people are on base

wow so killing me 2 months later because i typed Lidge's best pitch in wrong and put a sinker instead of slider. should i go through all your posts and look for mistakes you might have made and call you out on it 2 months later (even when I changed the post 5 minutes after I originally typed it)?

jeez i'm just nutting you guys who talked so adamently about on-base percentage - i guess my sarcasm doesn't come through on a message board.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Nice 4 hit game tonight

The difference is you don't pay a guy 10 mil a year to hit singles unless he can steal 2nd and 3rd. And I don't see Raul doing that anytime soon.
    Alright, well, now that that's over......onto more important things.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511

go time, it is.
    www.myspace.com

go time, it is.

Seriously. They've gotten a pass for far too long now - I'd say since game 5 of the Flyers/Bruins series.

go time, it is.

Seriously. They've gotten a pass for far too long now - I'd say since game 5 of the Flyers/Bruins series.

Sadly from what I've been hearing when Im out most fans are indifferent this year

I dont if its because of the success in the last few years or they think everything will turn around or what

go time, it is.

yep...strap your balls on boys. your season just officially started.

Sadly from what I've been hearing when Im out most fans are indifferent this year

I dont if its because of the success in the last few years or they think everything will turn around or what

that's due to the fact that most phillies fans are new, fair weather fans. don't worry, they'll be back as annoying as ever come october
    The Fixer wrote:

that's due to the fact that most phillies fans are new, fair weather fans. don't worry, they'll be back as annoying as ever come october

Fuck...October ? i see them now at home games playing beer-pongand leaving in the 6th inning

I have no problem with festivities before games. The ballpark being the 'place to be' - in the words of Frank Costanza - is nothing new. It's been like that since it opened up. I just think people are assuming this team will be there, and are taking their team for granted. It'll even out. I'm convinced this town is just as much a baseball town as a football one. It's just that we have a football mentality to all sports. And this may sound stupid, but I know there are a lot of freaks who represent our fan bases but I'd go to bat for any of them outside of our city. It's like the alcoholic uncle in your family, or black people with the N word. Hey, that's OUR word!
    I have no problem with festivities before games. I just think people are assuming this team will be there. It'll even out. I'm convinced this town is just as much a baseball town as a football one. It's just that we have a football mentality to all sports. And this may sound stupid, but I know there are a lot of freaks who represent our fan bases but I'd go to bat for any of them outside of our city. It's like the alcoholic uncle in your family, or black people with the N word. Hey, that's OUR word!

Except the Philly Puker

That POS needs his ass kicked

I have no problem with festivities before games. I just think people are assuming this team will be there. It'll even out. I'm convinced this town is just as much a baseball town as a football one. It's just that we have a football mentality to all sports. And this may sound stupid, but I know there are a lot of freaks who represent our fan bases but I'd go to bat for any of them outside of our city. It's like the alcoholic uncle in your family, or black people with the N word. Hey, that's OUR word!

Except the Philly Puker

Well, c'mon now, there's limits. And he did it against his own.

My point is when we were down in DC and all the Phils fans booed every player announced for the Nats, and used the 'sucks!' chant. Well, of course I'm getting in on that. As long as no violence or acts like above are mentioned I'm down.

What I'm trying to say is of course Philly people are assholes, and that's why we are obnoxious at away games and we don't want outsiders here. And I'm perfectly fine with that.
    edited June 2010
    I have no problem with festivities before games. The ballpark being the 'place to be' - in the words of Frank Costanza - is nothing new. It's been like that since it opened up. I just think people are assuming this team will be there, and are taking their team for granted. It'll even out. I'm convinced this town is just as much a baseball town as a football one. It's just that we have a football mentality to all sports. And this may sound stupid, but I know there are a lot of freaks who represent our fan bases but I'd go to bat for any of them outside of our city. It's like the alcoholic uncle in your family, or black people with the N word. Hey, that's OUR word!

definitely a football town. always has been, always be

I like the circus before the game too...especially when the circus is scadily clad
    Post edited by The Fixer on

Except the Philly Puker

Well, c'mon now, there's limits. And he did it against his own.

My point is when we were down in DC and all the Phils fans booed every player announced for the Nats, and used the 'sucks!' chant. Well, of course I'm getting in on that. As long as no violence or acts like above are mentioned I'm down.

What I'm trying to say is of course Philly people are assholes, and that's why we are obnoxious at away games and we don't want outsiders here. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

road game etiquite is different from home game etiquite. you're supposed to be a dick when you're on the road. it's part of the fan creedo. you shouldn't be a dick at home.

flyers got booed tonight in the second period on the PP. that shit pisses me off
    The Fixer wrote:

definitely a football town. always has been, always be

I like the circus before the game too...especially when the circus is scadily clad

Of course. I want my sports to also be my freak circus social environment. The more they meld, the better I am with life.
    wasted a great effort by halladay last night. not looking forward to the annual ass kicking from the red sox this weekend.

this team needs to get their shit together
    The Fixer wrote:
    flyers got booed tonight in the second period on the PP. that shit pisses me off"

if I was at the Phils game last night I would have booed Leighton. some flyers fans are devastated at the loss and this guy is at the phils game yucking it up the next night. it bothers me that he sucks and choked and is yucking it up the next night. Briere was almost in tears interviewed afte the game and this guy looked like it was a regular season loss - i would have booed his ass last night, surely wouldn't have cheered him like phils fans did.

Phils suck right now - their offense is so inpatient. Constantly swinging at bad pitches to try and get hits. be patient, take a walk and trust your teammates and this team will be fine.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    flyers got booed tonight in the second period on the PP. that shit pisses me off"

if I was at the Phils game last night I would have booed Leighton. some flyers fans are devastated at the loss and this guy is at the phils game yucking it up the next night. it bothers me that he sucks and choked and is yucking it up the next night. Briere was almost in tears interviewed afte the game and this guy looked like it was a regular season loss - i would have booed his ass last night, surely wouldn't have cheered him like phils fans did.

Phils suck right now - their offense is so inpatient. Constantly swinging at bad pitches to try and get hits. be patient, take a walk and trust your teammates and this team will be fine.

HUH?!?!?!?! Take pitches? Not swing for the fences and only hit for the home run? Get on base? What is this strategy you speak of?
This discussion has been closed.