***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

let's wait until the season is over before canonizing joey votto over ryan howard. oh and when joey votto wins and mvp and finishes 2nd in mvp voting give me a call - until then PUHLEESE

ah, the always comical MVP debate. Rollins won an MVP too and Jeter never has. That means Rollins is the better player right?

come on man, the MVP thing is dumb. If you want to use that we can look at all star appearances. it's no coincidence that howard has only made 2 all star teams (one of which he didn't even deserve, but manuel was managing and took him as a reserve). either way, all star/MVP stuff is a weak way to support a stance

so 2 dominating seasons mean nothing but a guy having a good april-june is awesome a la votto - listen to yourself please. all star games appearances are meaningless because a guy like votto being the best player on a bad team will always make it because they have to take one player from each team.

ok, we can use 2009 stats if you'd like

votto 322/414/567
    howard 279/360/571

just sayin, one can make an argument that votto is just as valuable offensively, if not moreso.
    Solat13 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

Was bored tonight so I did a little research with the top sluggers of the 4 best teams arguably since 2004 - Red Sox, Yankees, Phils and Cardinals. Between them they've won 5 of the last 6 World Series and went through game logs to see winning percentage in games in which their big slugger (Ortiz, A Rod, Howard and Pujols hit homers since 04 - for Howard 05) Not trying to prove anything - was just curious as to what were winning percentages when top sluggers homered for their teams.

Boston - Ortiz:

2004 41 homers 27-11
    2005 47 homers 24-13
    2006 54 homers 33-15
    2007 35 homers 23-8
    2008 23 homers 15-5
    2009 28 homers 23-4
    2010 15 homers 11-2

Overall record 156-58 .729 winning percentage

Yankees - A Rod:

2004 36 homers 25-8
    2005 48 homers 31-12
    2006 35 homers 20-11
    2007 54 homers 35-11
    2008 35 homers 23-12
    2009 30 homers 20-7
    2010 8 homers 6-2

Overall record 160-63 .717 winning percentage

Phillies - Howard

2005 22 homers - 16-6
    2006 58 homers - 32-18
    2007 47 homers - 27-15
    2008 48 homers - 26-17
    2009 45 homers - 26-13
    2010 14 homers - 11-2

Overall record 138-71 .660 winning prcentage

Cardinals - Pujols

2004 46 homers - 32-9
    2005 41 homers - 29-10
    2006 49 homers - 32-12
    2007 32 homers - 16-12
    2008 37 homers - 25-9
    2009 47 homers - 30-6
    2010 15 homers - 8-3

Overall record 172-61 .738 winning percentage

I don't think there is a direct correlation here. Hitting a home run is one of numerous variables that goes in to winning a baseball game.

For example, we could look at adam dunn's record every time he hits a home run. His teams' record would still suck in those games.

One player hitting a home run and his team winning are virtually independent when discussing why teams win games

Dunn who has played on much worse teams since 2004

2004 - 46 homers - 25-16
    2005 - 40 homers - 25-9
    2006 - 40 homers - 25-14
    2007 - 40 homers - 19-17
    2008 - 40 homers - 24-14
    2009 - 38 homers - 22-14
    2010 - 16 homers - 9-6

Total 149-90 - .623 winning percentage

Just saw you mentioned Dunn and figured it would make for an interesting person to look up.

much higher than I expected it to be. I still think it's a coincidence
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Huh? You serious? 10-15 teams would give Ryan Howard $25 mil a year and the rest won't because they haev a 1st baseman? You're kidding right? Did you talk to GM's? Which teams are these?

There's maybe 5 or 6 teams tops that can afford 25 million a year for one player and two were already off the market - the Red Sox with Youk and the Yanks with Tex. The Phils defintiely outbid themselves for Howard's contract but I've always thought that.

I like Howard just not at that price though.

Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Tigers, Phillies

Dodgers would be able to but with that situation they are not adding payroll.

Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Tigers are all out.

I'd throw angels in there too. they have morales though

yanks and tigers have better 1B with lower annual salaries than howard. terrible
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    The Fixer wrote:

yanks, sox, tigers all have better 1B with lower annual salaries than howard. terrible

I was goign to mention the Angels. They are kind of on the edge. $105MM.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yanks and tigers all have better 1B with lower annual salaries than howard. terrible

it would be one thing if the phils were in the AL and they gave him this contract. maybe amaro forgot what league his team is in. that wouldn't justify the horrendous deal, but it would make it easier to swallow
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yanks and tigers all have better 1B with lower annual salaries than howard. terrible

it would be one thing if the phils were in the AL and they gave him this contract. maybe amaro forgot what league his team is in

Still, that is 7 teams we mentioned. 5 are out of the bidding, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, Tigers. That leaves the Phillies and Cubs (I know nothing about the Cubs system). Not to mention Agon, Fielder and Pujols are all going to be FA's as well. If they had not given him the extension there would have been a whole lot more 1B available than the demand and Econ 101 will tell you what happens in that situation.

Edit: I do think Boston wants Agon and will have Youk play 3rd.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Still, that is 7 teams we mentioned. 5 are out of the bidding, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, Tigers. That leaves the Phillies and Cubs (I know nothing about the Cubs system). Not to mention Agon, Fielder and Pujols are all going to be FA's as well. If they had not given him the extension there would have been a whole lot more 1B available than the demand and Econ 101 will tell you what happens in that situation.

yeah, you're right. damn you
    rollins back tonight, dobbs sent to minors.

so their bench tonight -- francisco, schneider, gload, valdez, castro. yikes

Dobbs should be done here as he's the lesser evil out of him and gload. there is absolutely no need to keep castro and valdez though. keep one, not both (and I don't think it matters which one they keep)
    The Fixer wrote:

MLBTR has Dobb's DFA'ed
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    The Fixer wrote:

Dobbs should be done here as he's the lesser evil out of him and gload. there is absolutely no need to keep castro and valdez though. keep one, not both (and I don't think it matters which one they keep)

dobbs is slop. doesnt he have to accept that or something since he's been in the league for so long?

one thing gillick did much better than amaro was find the right mix of guys off the bench.....though, it looks like he got extremely lucky with dobber a couple years ago.

i wonder if mayberry will be up soon. he's probably not going to be an everyday player at this point. might as well bring him up as a 4th outfielder. give rauuuuul a break at times...

if i didnt see castro and valdez on the field at the same time when polanco was hurt, nobody could convince me they were not the same person.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    The Fixer wrote:

dobbs is slop. doesnt he have to accept that or something since he's been in the league for so long?

one thing gillick did much better than amaro was find the right mix of guys off the bench.....though, it looks like he got extremely lucky with dobber a couple years ago.

i wonder if mayberry will be up soon. he's probably not going to be an everyday player at this point. might as well bring him up as a 4th outfielder. give rauuuuul a break at times...

if i didnt see castro and valdez on the field at the same time when polanco was hurt, nobody could convince me they were not the same person.

I mentioned this earlier, and of course no one saw it.

The Phillies could try to trade him, but that's not gonna happen. So he'll be placed on waivers, which he will most certainly clear because I don't see any team paying him what he's getting paid. He'll then most likely accept a demotion to triple A where he hopefully rights himself, because we need another lefty bat and I don't know what's available on the trade market that would be worthy of sacrificing prospects for.

If anything Francisco should a get a shit ton more playing time. Mayberry could come up after the all star break because they brought up Zagurski instead. They don't have any days off until the AS break so they're going to need another lefty arm - hence why Fat Mike is here.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:
    There's maybe 5 or 6 teams tops that can afford 25 million a year for one player and two were already off the market - the Red Sox with Youk and the Yanks with Tex. The Phils defintiely outbid themselves for Howard's contract but I've always thought that.

I like Howard just not at that price though.

yanks and tigers have better 1B with lower annual salaries than howard. terrible

And they are far superior ballplayers. The biggest thing that I don't think people are getting out of this is how much it's going to skew salaries for 1B going forward.

BUT - I'll say this much. This organization can justify that salary in a way. Fans love the long ball, and I read this article before that justifies inflated salaries from an entertainment standpoint. IE. more homers equals more asses in the seats at a time when this team might not be selling out every game. Thereby becoming an attraction.

And Hell, who knows, maybe they win a couple more championships and 25 mil is the new 18 mil in 2014.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And they are far superior ballplayers. The biggest thing that I don't think people are getting out of this is how much it's going to skew salaries for 1B going forward.

BUT - I'll say this much. This organization can justify that salary in a way. Fans love the long ball, and I read this article before that justifies inflated salaries from an entertainment standpoint. IE. more homers equals more asses in the seats at a time when this team might not be selling out every game. Thereby becoming an attraction.

And Hell, who knows, maybe they win a couple more championships and 25 mil is the new 18 mil in 2014.

good point. if, in 2017, we're not competive anymore but the R6 is pushing to 500 homers....boom---people in the seats.....including a disgruntled fan out in left field who answers to "the fixer." :lol:

and, by the way, if he gets to 500 homers which will mean he's got a decent shot at the hof, and we win another title in the next few years, who the fuck will care that he's overpaid?
    :roll:

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I'd say a certain persons two favorite targets looked pretty good tonight. Way to go Ryan and Jamie i appericate your efforts.
    Go Birds!!!!
    JAMIE MOYER IS A BEAST! :lol::lol::clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    edited June 2010

it's amazing to watch a 47, almost 48 year old guy befuddle players - how is it possible they can't hit him? regardless of what you think about him that fact the guy can still pitch even remotely effectively in the major leagues at age 47 is unbelievable.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I am SO loving what Jamie has done this year.

He rocks! :lol:
    pjhawks wrote:

it's amazing to watch a 47, almost 48 year old guy befuddle players - how is it possible they can't hit him? regardless of what you think about him that fact the guy can still pitch even remotely effectively in the major leagues at age 47 is unbelievable.

harold reynolds was talking about that last night. he said jamie's issue is finding a way to slow down his change up because his fast ball is only 82/82mph. i guess as long as you can have a decent difference in the two, it still works....if you're hitting the right spots on the plate.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I have Moyer's 2008 Bobble Head still in the box

Anyone wanna buy one ??

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

dobbs was a great bench guy for the first couple of years he was here. led MLB in pinch hits in 2008. gillick doesn't get lucky...he was great. he knew dobbs from his seattle days.

mayberry sucks balls. francisco is 20 million times better. mayberry isn't a major league player
    The Fixer wrote:

I mentioned this earlier, and of course no one saw it.

The Phillies could try to trade him, but that's not gonna happen. So he'll be placed on waivers, which he will most certainly clear because I don't see any team paying him what he's getting paid. He'll then most likely accept a demotion to triple A where he hopefully rights himself, because we need another lefty bat and I don't know what's available on the trade market that would be worthy of sacrificing prospects for.

If anything Francisco should a get a shit ton more playing time. Mayberry could come up after the all star break because they brought up Zagurski instead. They don't have any days off until the AS break so they're going to need another lefty arm - hence why Fat Mike is here.

their bench will be sweet this weekend with the DH in the lineup. figure gload/francisco will DH depending on whether there's a RH or LH pitcher in there. Then you've got sardina (whatever the backup catcher's name is), valdez, and castro. christ, that's awful. good job rube, you turd
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I have to disagree with this line of thinking. you know what sells seats? winning. this contract hampers their ability to win going forward. that's why it sucks
    The Fixer wrote:

good point. if, in 2017, we're not competive anymore but the R6 is pushing to 500 homers....boom---people in the seats.....including a disgruntled fan out in left field who answers to "the fixer." :lol:

and, by the way, if he gets to 500 homers which will mean he's got a decent shot at the hof, and we win another title in the next few years, who the fuck will care that he's overpaid?

GO. PHILS.

I don't care about MVPs, 500th home runs, HOFers, or any of that individual shit. I want the phillies to win. plain and simple. howard's contract is an albatross

winning sells more tickets than anything. think about how much playoff gates are worth alone
    I'd say a certain persons two favorite targets looked pretty good tonight. Way to go Ryan and Jamie i appericate your efforts.

yep, howard looked great on that foul pop up. moyer pitched great...but he was facing the worst lineup in baseball. austin kearns hitting cleanup. really?
    On another note...I have a contact in the phillies ticket office. He sent me an email and offered me a free suite for friday night's game. I have plans with the wife that I can't get out of (and I'm going saturday anyway). If anyone's interested shoot me a PM and I should be able to hook you up.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't care about MVPs, 500th home runs, HOFers, or any of that individual shit. I want the phillies to win. plain and simple. howard's contract is an albatross

winning sells more tickets than anything. think about how much playoff gates are worth alone

wait i thought on-base percentage was the most important thing? the Phils have won HISTORICALLY over the past 3 seasons for this franchise with arguably their best player being RYAN HOWARD - yet you bitch about him on a daily basis. where is your logic? just stop please. enough of your Howard bashing.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

wait i thought on-base percentage was the most important thing? the Phils have won HISTORICALLY over the past 3 seasons for this franchise with arguably their best player being RYAN HOWARD - yet you bitch about him on a daily basis. where is your logic? just stop please. enough of your Howard bashing.

if you think howard is better than utley I don't know what to tell you. go study the lidge sinker and RBI totals
    The Fixer wrote:

GO. PHILS.

what are you going to say if/when howard's up for the hall of fame? cuz if he gets to 500....all those individual numbers and awards plus the fact that his teams won at least 1 title and went to another means he'll be there.
    www.myspace.com
    edited June 2010
    Dobbs clears waivers. Going to play everyday in Lehigh. Hopefully he gets his swing back because we need another lefty off the bench, and there's really nothing out there.

Also - say the Phils desperately need a lefty hitter come September, and into the playoffs. Ya think there's any chance they bring up Brown before August 31st so he could qualify for the postseason roster? I know this concept sounds pretty crazy, but I guess it's just wishful thinking. I mean they're going to call him up in September anyway, so why not bring him up on August 30th just in case?
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

if you think howard is better than utley I don't know what to tell you. go study the lidge sinker and RBI totals

can you fn read? I said ARGUABLY not that he was the better player. and again use the fact that i typed something wrong, and edited within 5 minutes, 2 months ago against me. each day you become more and more of a dbag on here.
This discussion has been closed.