***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer wrote:

sorry, 1-6 with 3 K's on saturday. the one AB just sticks out in my mind. ya know, since it was the biggest of the game.

but he hit a HR saturday!! YAY

again with no comment whatsoever about friday's game - typical WIP-ish behavior. best thing to be in this town is a good player, not a great player because of attitudes like yours. good players in this town can suck for months and no one says a thing (victorino, werth) but the so-called stars holy shit don't strike out on a saturday afternoon because the Fixer is fixated on that one at-bat. ridiculous attitude to treat Ryan Howard like he sucks - he far from sucks. the bashing you do of Howard is out of whack frankly and makes it hard to take your comments with any sort of credibility. Not knowing you but I am pretty sure you also hated McNabb and Lindros too.

edit: oh i see in the flyers thread you hate Carter too - you must just hate offense i guess. you know, cause it's easy to hit 50 home runs or score 40 fn goals. probably love Ian stinkin Lapaierre and Carcillo too.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

sorry, 1-6 with 3 K's on saturday. the one AB just sticks out in my mind. ya know, since it was the biggest of the game.

again with no comment whatsoever about friday's game - typical WIP-ish behavior. best thing to be in this town is a good player, not a great player because of attitudes like yours. good players in this town can suck for months and no one says a thing (victorino, werth) but the so-called stars holy shit don't strike out on a saturday afternoon because the Fixer is fixated on that one at-bat. ridiculous attitude to treat Ryan Howard like he sucks - he far from sucks. the bashing you do of Howard is out of whack frankly and makes it hard to take your comments with any sort of credibility. Not knowing you but I am pretty sure you also hated McNabb and Lindros too.

edit: oh i see in the flyers thread you hate Carter too - you must just hate offense i guess. you know, cause it's easy to hit 50 home runs or score 40 fn goals. probably love Ian stinkin Lapaierre and Carcillo too.

Howards $25 mil contract means he should perform day in and day out like one of the best players in baseball, which he is not. Victorinos $5 mill means he is allowed to struggle.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Howards $25 mil contract means he should perform day in and day out like one of the best players in baseball, which he is not. Victorinos $5 mill means he is allowed to struggle.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. the contract is a ridiculous argument when referring to a players ability. if you want to argue Amaro and the Phils made a bad move by giving him that contract fine, but making $25 million doesn't make Ryan Howard any better or worse as a player. he is a great player regardless of his contract and flat out IS one of the best players in baseball (along with Chase Utley). Moronic to say a guy isn't a great player because of what he makes. it is not his fault the Phils gave him $25 million dollars a year.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

1 - everyone hit on friday night. utley, werth both homered as well (you know, since HRs and RBI are all that matter)

2 - howard doesn't suck, but there is no way in hell he's worth 20 mill a year, let alone 25. how about those throws this weekend? or the throw he didn't make to 3rd vs the yankees, because he's too dumb to recognize the in-game situation or too scared to throw the ball (he is often gunshy about throwing the ball, even though little leaguers make the routine throws that he can't consistently make)

3 - loved mcnabb until the Arizona title game (was glad to see him go). lindros is my 2nd favorite philly athlete of all time (after utley)

4 - jeff carter stinks...I've never liked him. he is similar to howard, as they're both one dimensional. howard can hit HRs and carter can score. if either player isn't hitting HRs or scoring goals, they are useless (see 2010 stanley cup finals and 2009 World Series)

5 - 610 makes people dumber...I don't listen to that shit. or missanelli either. satellite radio or my ipod

I'm gonna try something and see how long I can go without ripping on howard. I watch every game...I'll give a concerted effort
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. the contract is a ridiculous argument when referring to a players ability. if you want to argue Amaro and the Phils made a bad move by giving him that contract fine, but making $25 million doesn't make Ryan Howard any better or worse as a player. he is a great player regardless of his contract and flat out IS one of the best players in baseball (along with Chase Utley). Moronic to say a guy isn't a great player because of what he makes. it is not his fault the Phils gave him $25 million dollars a year.

so a players ability has nothing to do with his contract?? hmm, I think you might want to reconsider that logic
    The Fixer wrote:

1 - everyone hit on friday night. utley, werth both homered as well (you know, since HRs and RBI are all that matter)

2 - howard doesn't suck, but there is no way in hell he's worth 20 mill a year, let alone 25. how about those throws this weekend? or the throw he didn't make to 3rd vs the yankees, because he's too dumb to recognize the in-game situation or too scared to throw the ball (he is often gunshy about throwing the ball, even though little leaguers make the routine throws that he can't consistently make)

3 - loved mcnabb until the Arizona title game (was glad to see him go). lindros is my 2nd favorite philly athlete of all time (after utley)

4 - jeff carter stinks...I've never liked him. he is similar to howard, as they're both one dimensional. howard can hit HRs and carter can score. if either player isn't hitting HRs or scoring goals, they are useless (see 2010 stanley cup finals and 2009 World Series)

5 - 610 makes people dumber...I don't listen to that shit. or missanelli either. satellite radio or my ipod

I'm gonna try something and see how long I can go without ripping on howard. I watch every game...I'll give a concerted effort

why are one dimensional offensive players scorned but one dimensional defensively players are loved? never understood this theory. who cares that Carter is one dimensional, he is one dimensional at a level only 4 or 5 other players are at, same as Ryan Howard. Give me a dominant one dimensional player and i will surrond him with other players to compliment his abilities, you know, actually building a team. the name of sports still is OUTSCORING your opponent - I want to start my team with guys that can score at a very high level. Both of those players do that, regardless of how bad they might look at times.
    pjhawks wrote:

He gets paid to be a star, he should perform like one. He does one thing very well, he hits a lot of home runs off right handed pitchers. That does not make you a great player. That is a fact.

He does not field well
    He does not run well
    He does not hit for average
    He does not get on base well
    He cannot hit left handed pitchers
    He cannot get people in from 3rd base

All he does is hit home runs off right handed pitchers. That is all.

Ryan Howard is not an elite baseball player
    The Fixer wrote:

so a players ability has nothing to do with his contract?? hmm, I think you might want to reconsider that logic

as an executive of course it does, as a fan, none whatsover. why do I care if Ryan Howard is making $25 million or $25 bucks - couldn't care less. i am only interested in entertainment and winning - period. best thing about sports is nothing else matters except winning and losing. never once understood the fixation fans have with contracts - don't care. now sure contracts can play a part in winning and losing but does it really make any difference to you that ryan got $25 million as opposed to $18 million?
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

why are one dimensional offensive players scorned but one dimensional defensively players are loved? never understood this theory. who cares that Carter is one dimensional, he is one dimensional at a level only 4 or 5 other players are at, same as Ryan Howard. Give me a dominant one dimensional player and i will surrond him with other players to compliment his abilities, you know, actually building a team. the name of sports still is OUTSCORING your opponent - I want to start my team with guys that can score at a very high level. Both of those players do that, regardless of how bad they might look at times.

point is, you don't make one dimensional players among the highest paid in the sport.

and you're assuming that being in the top 5 in goals or HRs makes you one of the 5 best players in the game. that couldn't be further from the truth. howard isn't even the 2nd best player on his team, let alone MLB.

Remember when I said I'd think about taking joey votto over howard? check out their stats. and votto is getting paid a tenth of what howard is getting. I'm not saying votto is better, I'm just saying that it's a bad use of resources for the phils to overpay for a guy that's gonna give you diminishing returns...at a position that is the easiest in baseball to find a replacement

howard 290/345/506
    votto 313/409/560

we can also talk about cabrera, gonzalez, pujols, morneau if you'd like -- all of who are criminally making less than howard
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

He gets paid to be a star, he should perform like one. He does one thing very well, he hits a lot of home runs off right handed pitchers. That does not make you a great player. That is a fact.

He does not field well
    He does not run well
    He does not hit for average
    He does not get on base well
    He cannot hit left handed pitchers
    He cannot get people in from 3rd base

All he does is hit home runs off right handed pitchers. That is all.

Ryan Howard is not an elite baseball player

agree 100%. and I have 7.5 more seasons to watch him play for the team I root for. fuck you amaro
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

as an executive of course it does, as a fan, none whatsover. why do I care if Ryan Howard is making $25 million or $25 bucks - couldn't care less. i am only interested in entertainment and winning - period. best thing about sports is nothing else matters except winning and losing. never once understood the fixation fans have with contracts - don't care. now sure contracts can play a part in winning and losing but does it really make any difference to you that ryan got $25 million as opposed to $18 million?

If you don't care how much players on the phillies make, then you don't care about the future of the team. Do you live in a vacuum? I don't, so I care about the future of the team, since I will be rooting for them beyond 2010. but that's just me, I get frustrated when they piss away resources
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

point is, you don't make one dimensional players among the highest paid in the sport.

and you're assuming that being in the top 5 in goals or HRs makes you one of the 5 best players in the game. that couldn't be further from the truth. howard isn't even the 2nd best player on his team, let alone MLB.

Remember when I said I'd think about taking joey votto over howard? check out their stats. and votto is getting paid a tenth of what howard is getting. I'm not saying votto is better, I'm just saying that it's a bad use of resources for the phils to overpay for a guy that's gonna give you diminishing returns...at a position that is the easiest in baseball to find a replacement

howard 290/345/506
    votto 313/409/560

we can also talk about cabrera, gonzalez, pujols, morneau if you'd like -- all of who are criminally making less than howard

let's wait until the season is over before canonizing joey votto over ryan howard. oh and when joey votto wins and mvp and finishes 2nd in mvp voting give me a call - until then PUHLEESE
    pjhawks wrote:

let's wait until the season is over before canonizing joey votto over ryan howard. oh and when joey votto wins and mvp and finishes 2nd in mvp voting give me a call - until then PUHLEESE

ah, the always comical MVP debate. Rollins won an MVP too and Jeter never has. That means Rollins is the better player right?

come on man, the MVP thing is dumb. If you want to use that we can look at all star appearances. it's no coincidence that howard has only made 2 all star teams (one of which he didn't even deserve, but manuel was managing and took him as a reserve). either way, all star/MVP stuff is a weak way to support a stance
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    That's the thing certain people here are killing Howard this year. But the guys batting almost 300 with 15 and 50 some rbi's. But he's struggled in your eyes and if that's struggling then I can't wait until he is red hot and see what his numbers turn out to be. Besides a very select few players in the game there career years don't and won't match a bad howard year. The guy is a beast in sept and oct and carries this team for very long stretches by himself. But I guess that dosent matter at all because he makes a lot of money and should hit 100hrs and knock in 250 rbi's while batting 450.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

ah, the always comical MVP debate. Rollins won an MVP too and Jeter never has. That means Rollins is the better player right?

come on man, the MVP thing is dumb. If you want to use that we can look at all star appearances. it's no coincidence that howard has only made 2 all star teams (one of which he didn't even deserve, but manuel was managing and took him as a reserve). either way, all star/MVP stuff is a weak way to support a stance

so 2 dominating seasons mean nothing but a guy having a good april-june is awesome a la votto - listen to yourself please. all star games appearances are meaningless because a guy like votto being the best player on a bad team will always make it because they have to take one player from each team.

agreed - the sad part is i thought coming into the season it was way better than last year's.
    And another thing if Howard does so many things bad then why is it that the Phillies and probably 10-15 other teams out there would have given him the same contract? And the other teams that wouldn't or couldn't already have a good first basemen or don't have the cash to do so. So the man was gonna get paid 20-25 from someone and I'm glad he stayed here and will likely retire a Phillie.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    edited June 2010
    All I'm gonna say about this ridiculous Howard argument that's been going on for far too long is the following - the man can't score the runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs. That's fundamental baseball. And I have absolutely no faith in the guy in clutch situations against good teams period.

The bigger problem right now is - outside of Polanco and Utley - there is no one in this lineup who has a disciplined/cerebral approach at the plate. Then again, this team has never been your prototypical professional hitting team. This has always been a team that scores in bunches, and it just happens to not be happening as often right now. Things will even out. The Braves and Mets can't go on the tears that they're on right now all season. Again, things will even out.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    And another thing if Howard does so many things bad then why is it that the Phillies and probably 10-15 other teams out there would have given him the same contract? And the other teams that wouldn't or couldn't already have a good first basemen or don't have the cash to do so. So the man was gonna get paid 20-25 from someone and I'm glad he stayed here and will likely retire a Phillie.

Huh? You serious? 10-15 teams would give Ryan Howard $25 mil a year and the rest won't because they haev a 1st baseman? You're kidding right? Did you talk to GM's? Which teams are these?
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    The Fixer wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

Was bored tonight so I did a little research with the top sluggers of the 4 best teams arguably since 2004 - Red Sox, Yankees, Phils and Cardinals. Between them they've won 5 of the last 6 World Series and went through game logs to see winning percentage in games in which their big slugger (Ortiz, A Rod, Howard and Pujols hit homers since 04 - for Howard 05) Not trying to prove anything - was just curious as to what were winning percentages when top sluggers homered for their teams.

Boston - Ortiz:

2004 41 homers 27-11
    2005 47 homers 24-13
    2006 54 homers 33-15
    2007 35 homers 23-8
    2008 23 homers 15-5
    2009 28 homers 23-4
    2010 15 homers 11-2

Overall record 156-58 .729 winning percentage

Yankees - A Rod:

2004 36 homers 25-8
    2005 48 homers 31-12
    2006 35 homers 20-11
    2007 54 homers 35-11
    2008 35 homers 23-12
    2009 30 homers 20-7
    2010 8 homers 6-2

Overall record 160-63 .717 winning percentage

Phillies - Howard

2005 22 homers - 16-6
    2006 58 homers - 32-18
    2007 47 homers - 27-15
    2008 48 homers - 26-17
    2009 45 homers - 26-13
    2010 14 homers - 11-2

Overall record 138-71 .660 winning prcentage

Cardinals - Pujols

2004 46 homers - 32-9
    2005 41 homers - 29-10
    2006 49 homers - 32-12
    2007 32 homers - 16-12
    2008 37 homers - 25-9
    2009 47 homers - 30-6
    2010 15 homers - 8-3

Overall record 172-61 .738 winning percentage

I don't think there is a direct correlation here. Hitting a home run is one of numerous variables that goes in to winning a baseball game.

For example, we could look at adam dunn's record every time he hits a home run. His teams' record would still suck in those games.

One player hitting a home run and his team winning are virtually independent when discussing why teams win games

Dunn who has played on much worse teams since 2004

2004 - 46 homers - 25-16
    2005 - 40 homers - 25-9
    2006 - 40 homers - 25-14
    2007 - 40 homers - 19-17
    2008 - 40 homers - 24-14
    2009 - 38 homers - 22-14
    2010 - 16 homers - 9-6

Total 149-90 - .623 winning percentage

Just saw you mentioned Dunn and figured it would make for an interesting person to look up.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Huh? You serious? 10-15 teams would give Ryan Howard $25 mil a year and the rest won't because they haev a 1st baseman? You're kidding right? Did you talk to GM's? Which teams are these?

There's maybe 5 or 6 teams tops that can afford 25 million a year for one player and two were already off the market - the Red Sox with Youk and the Yanks with Tex. The Phils defintiely outbid themselves for Howard's contract but I've always thought that.

I like Howard just not at that price though.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    again with the ryan howard talk? :roll:

you guys are nuts.

he's one of the best power hitters of our time...yet he has flaws...and is probably overpaid. end of story.

let's focus on the real problems of this team because they are the same now as they were in april: starting pitching after top 2, the bullpen, and the bench.

ryan howard is the least of our concerns people...
    www.myspace.com
    Solat13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

There's maybe 5 or 6 teams tops that can afford 25 million a year for one player and two were already off the market - the Red Sox with Youk and the Yanks with Tex. The Phils defintiely outbid themselves for Howard's contract but I've always thought that.

I like Howard just not at that price though.

Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Tigers, Phillies

Dodgers would be able to but with that situation they are not adding payroll.

Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Tigers are all out.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955

you guys are nuts.

he's one of the best power hitters of our time...yet he has flaws...and is probably overpaid. end of story.

let's focus on the real problems of this team because they are the same now as they were in april: starting pitching after top 2, the bullpen, and the bench.

Pitching gets pass for as long as these douchebags decide not to hit. It has been outstanding compared to what we thought it would be. The bullpen hasn't even had a chance to settle in to a groove. Hitting is the problem here first and foremost.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'd bet if the yanks didn't have tex they would,I'd bet boston would.Even with Ike I'd bet the mets would,if stl didn't have pujulos I'd bet they would. I forget but buster olney said something a while back that Howard would have had 10-15 teams after him if he hit free agency. And it might have been jayson stark I forget,but yeah I'm sure gms would pay 20-25 mill for a guy that gives u 45 and 150 every year.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511

you guys are nuts.

Pitching gets pass for as long as these douchebags decide not to hit. It has been outstanding compared to what we thought it would be. The bullpen hasn't even had a chance to settle in to a groove. Hitting is the problem here first and foremost.

i hear ya...i am just assuming our hitting will come around sooner than later. it already has really. sunday may have been a hangover fromt the previous day's debacle. we'll see tonight.

i just fear we've wasted the best that our back end of the rotation has to offer.

fat joe is the key to our 2nd half...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'd bet if the yanks didn't have tex they would,I'd bet boston would.Even with Ike I'd bet the mets would,if stl didn't have pujulos I'd bet they would. I forget but buster olney said something a while back that Howard would have had 10-15 teams after him if he hit free agency. And it might have been jayson stark I forget,but yeah I'm sure gms would pay 20-25 mill for a guy that gives u 45 and 150 every year.

Wouldn't happen dude, not with the 1B that are hitting free agency.

Yankees would absolutely not even without Tex, have learned their lesson with one dimensional players.
    No shot on Boston, thats crazy. They have Youk and would love Agon.
    Mets have Ike Davis, just a kid.
    Tigers have Caberea
    Cards have to pay Pujols and would not give howard that either way. They can barely give that to Pujols.
    Dodgers divorce means they won't

That leaves the Cubs and Phillies. If anyother team were to offer that, it would be 25% of their payroll. That is just crazy talk. Phillies bid against themselves.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He's 30 right now and yes teams probably would give him 20-25 million currently. He'll be 34 when the 25 million part of his contract kicks in. I don't think there would be 10-15 gms that would give him 25 million for three years with an option for 23 million starting at age 34.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    And another thing if Howard does so many things bad then why is it that the Phillies and probably 10-15 other teams out there would have given him the same contract?

I'd love to see this list of teams. funny
This discussion has been closed.