***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

no. i miss don carmen.

and of course that's the reason they do turn back the clock nights. but if you're the phils, what's gonna sell better...the jerseys of the team that won the franchise's first world championship or the randy ready dark ages era jersey? no brainer................plus it wasn't up to the phils. brewers chose the era to throw back to tonight.

the phils can sell both...obviously they will put the current players names and numbers on the throwbacks, not the turds from the 88 team (or whatever year)

we'll put pedro feliz on yours
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,519
    The Fixer wrote:

no. i miss don carmen.

and of course that's the reason they do turn back the clock nights. but if you're the phils, what's gonna sell better...the jerseys of the team that won the franchise's first world championship or the randy ready dark ages era jersey? no brainer................plus it wasn't up to the phils. brewers chose the era to throw back to tonight.

the phils can sell both...obviously they will put the current players names and numbers on the throwbacks, not the turds from the 88 team (or whatever year)

we'll put pedro feliz on yours

nice! an '08 throwback
    www.myspace.com
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... z0o0rzCJ1H
    Brown hitting and happy to be in Reading

By Chris Melchiorre

READING - As he does before every at-bat, Domonic Brown kissed his hand and pointed to the sky before stepping into the batter's box in the first inning on Wednesday for the Reading Phillies.

In a motion that seemed just as loose and effortless as his gesture to the heavens, Brown sent the first pitch he saw from the visiting New Hampshire Fisher Cats pitcher, a 90 m.p.h. fastball, sailing over the left-centerfield wall.

It was the 6-foot-5, 205-pound rightfielder's sixth home run in his last 11 games.

These days, Brown has a lot to be thankful for.

As Brown tears up the minor leagues, the blue-chip prospects on both sides of the Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay deals are mostly struggling to gain traction with their new teams.

"I just feel very fortunate [to still be here]," said Brown, whom the Phillies refused to part with despite numerous inquiries. "I talk to Kyle Drabek and Michael Taylor a lot. They're my good friends and I've been with them ever since rookie ball. So it's been hard for them, but they're making the adjustments. I'm just glad I'm here."

Drabek, a righthanded pitcher, and Taylor, an outfielder, were both highly regarded Phils prospects who were traded to Toronto for Halladay. Taylor was subsequently dealt to Oakland.

For the first four innings of Wednesday's game, Brown watched his teammate, starting pitcher Phillipe Aumont, struggle on his way to an early exit. Aumont, a righthander, is the most highly publicized player the Phillies receved in exchange for Lee in the deal that sent the ace from Philadelphia to Seattle.

After getting off to a solid start this season, Aumont - he came to Philadelphia with centerfielder Tyson Gillies and pitcher J.C. Ramirez - entered that game after having allowed 10 earned runs in his previous two starts, which amounted to just five innings of work.

On Wednesday, Aumont lasted four innings, allowing four earned runs, all in the second inning.

"[He] got a little experience in double A last year but now he's still adjusting in a different level and a different role," Reading manager Steve Roadcap said of Aumont, who worked as a reliever last year. "He's working on some things; he's struggled. But today was an improvement. If you look beyond the numbers, he was much, much better."

Sitting in the opposing dugout on Wednesday was Drabek, now with the Blue Jays' New Hampshire double-A farm club. Drabek, once considered the future ace of the Phillies' rotation, was traded along with Taylor and catcher Travis d'Arnaud for Halladay in the offseason.

Drabek also got off to a slow start with his new team, but has bounced back of late and is carrying a 3.60 ERA with opponents hitting just .235 against him.

"You just have to be able to go out there and pitch in as many games as you can," Drabek said. "The more experience you get, the more comfortable you get. So definitely, where I am right now, I feel a lot more comfortable than I did at the beginning of the year."

The 21-year-old d'Arnaud is sporting a .328 batting average but is still catching in high single A.

Taylor is batting a meager .232 in triple A after batting a combined .320 with double-A Reading and triple-A Lehigh Valley last season.

Gillies, the outfield prospect the Phillies got as part of the Lee trade, can sympathize with Taylor.

The 21-year-old Gillies was placed on the seven-day disabled list Wednesday with a left hamstring strain.

It was an exclamation point on what has been a tough season for Gillies to this point.

Gillies started the season 4 for 36 and was batting .247 when he was placed on the disabled list.

More alarming is that the centerfielder has only one stolen base in two attempts. Last year, Gillies, known as a threat on the base paths, swiped 44 bags in 63 attempts in high single A for the Mariners.

"Everyone goes through some growing pains," said Roadcap, after explaining that Gillies' strained hamstring is a minor and recent issue that hasn't been bothering him all season. "He's a guy that knows one speed, and that's 100 percent at all times. And it's hard for him to back off. So we're going to make sure that he's fully recovered before he gets back."

So, as other promising players, who have either joined or left the Phillies' farm system, scramble to adjust to new coaches, new teammates, new roles, new stadiums and new levels of play for new organizations, Brown is happy to stay where he is until receiving the imminent call to triple A.

For right now, even when he strikes out - which he did Wednesday on a 17-pitch at-bat while fouling off 11 breaking balls - Brown still shows promise.

"They told me when I got in the dugout that it was 17 pitches," Brown said. "I'm just trying to keep it going."
    www.myspace.com
    This dude Scott Mathieson will be up at some point this year. Hopefully before his arm falls off. He's already had tommy john surgery twice. I love relievers that throw gas...

After 13 appearances covering 16 2/3 IP, Mathieson has permitted one run and racked up five saves. His ERA is 0.54. He has struck out 18 and his fastball has been sitting in the 96-98 mph range.
    The Fixer wrote:
    This dude Scott Mathieson will be up at some point this year. Hopefully before his arm falls off. He's already had tommy john surgery twice. I love relievers that throw gas...

After 13 appearances covering 16 2/3 IP, Mathieson has permitted one run and racked up five saves. His ERA is 0.54. He has struck out 18 and his fastball has been sitting in the 96-98 mph range.

yeah...i heard something about the phils wanting him to work on keeping his slider down before calling him up. that's like his only issue. i'm pretty psyched to see what he can do...if he can stay healthy.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah...i heard something about the phils wanting him to work on keeping his slider down before calling him up. that's like his only issue. i'm pretty psyched to see what he can do...if he can stay healthy.

I also read they want him to be able to pitch back-to-back games, which I don't think he's done yet.

Mark Grace is worse than chris wheeler or tim mccarver. amazing
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I also read they want him to be able to pitch back-to-back games, which I don't think he's done yet.

Mark Grace is worse than chris wheeler or tim mccarver. amazing

yeah...and when t-mac is the play by play guy, it just seems like fox mailed it in. doesn't seem like a real nationally televised game.

speaking of announcers, the phils really have to step up and promote franske and la to the tv booth. those two have such great chemistry. i'm reading the Harry the K book right now--which is a fucking great read. i highly recommend it. listening to franske and la, it just seems like they have that harry and whitey thing going on. you can tell they generally like each other and back and forth between them is genuine. tmac tries too hard. and wheels is....wheels. sarge is just a doofus. i'm actually okay with him as a 3rd wheel for a couple innings. he is comic relief.
    www.myspace.com
    hamels on the mound this evening.....i need 7 strong outta you cole! let's have at it sweeeeeeeeeep... :clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    hamels on the mound this evening.....i need 7 strong outta you cole! let's have at it sweeeeeeeeeep... :clap::clap:

You guys are going to ber busy changing channels tonight.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You guys are going to ber busy changing channels tonight.

i'm not gonna lie. the phils game is the bigger priority for me.

luckily the flyers start an hour earlier though.
    www.myspace.com
    blanton is back, hamels is fine, moyer/kendrick are even throwing decent ball. happ will be back soon, rollins is back tomorrow.

are everyone's panties unbunched? jearlpam and I told you guys everything would be fine. the bullpen is a mess and you still can't stop this team

he had a staring contest with his reflection. on the 4th day, he won. stay healthy my friends.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,957
    The Fixer wrote:
    blanton is back, hamels is fine, moyer/kendrick are even throwing decent ball. happ will be back soon, rollins is back tomorrow.

are everyone's panties unbunched? jearlpam and I told you guys everything would be fine. the bullpen is a mess and you still can't stop this team

he had a staring contest with his reflection. on the 4th day, he won. stay healthy my friends.

AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE!!

Sorry...that song's just stuck in my head. Awesome.

Anyway, I was going to make a thread about the following in The Porch, or GTF but I'm really not looking for attention, but......Yo, people are NUTS when it comes to this band. Just some crazy, cooky people. Insane.

Welp, now that that's off my chest - CANNOT WAIT for Thursday! Then I've got my tix for Sunday's game against the Saawwwwwxxx and their absolute die hard fans from Bucks County :roll: , and Gloucestah........New Jersey :roll: . Pumped for an excellent week. Hopefully I can come out with a job too. Speaking of which, if anyone knows of anyone who needs part-time help - I'm all over it!
    The Fixer wrote:

Anyway, I was going to make a thread about the following in The Porch, or GTF but I'm really not looking for attention, but......Yo, people are NUTS when it comes to this band. Just some crazy, cooky people. Insane.

Welp, now that that's off my chest - CANNOT WAIT for Thursday! Then I've got my tix for Sunday's game against the Saawwwwwxxx and their absolute die hard fans from Bucks County :roll: , and Gloucestah........New Jersey :roll: . Pumped for an excellent week. Hopefully I can come out with a job too. Speaking of which, if anyone knows of anyone who needs part-time help - I'm all over it!

of course I have tix for friday...and saturday. I'll be in NYC until saturday afternoon, so I am trying to dump both games. bought 35 games and I am on pace to go to 5. though with the crowds at the games I've been to that is a good thing.

VH is as cheesy as AC/DC or DMB, but that cover was money (saw the youtube clip).

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday...liver, I don't want to hear your crying. man up!!
    The Fixer wrote:

yes fat joe is back...complete with a 5.49 era!....at least he's given us at least 6+ each time out though.
    kendrick gave up 4 in 6 innings last time out. moyer gave up 5 in 5 last time.--you're suddenly a fan of these guys now? weird.
    the bullpen is still a mess, yes.

with hamels--the key is consistency. in his last three times out, we've gotten a great outing, an average outing, and a pretty damn good one last night. it seems he's turning the corner finally.

but the same questions at the beginning of the year still remain. bullpen and starting pitching. the good news is that happ might be ready to start throwing off a mound by next week or so. that is encouraging.

okay and while i am at it, ibanez was my other concern. he got his average up to .253 last week. since then he's gone 3 for 20 or something....and dipped back to .237.

don't mean to sound negative, but you asked. the sweep was great, but you have to keep things in perspective. it's a long season. thank god the nl sucks :mrgreen: ................still that was awesome to get the sweep last night. great game.

by the way......brewers starter dave bush last night: former teammate of one, the jeagler, with those crafty wayne american legion indians of the mid nineties. he was a catcher back then.

how about wilson valdez's defense late in the game last night? i couldn't believe he missed that fat fuck's liner up the middle, looked like the ball was hit right through his glove, but he more than made up for it. that was fun to watch.

that is all.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Anyway, I was going to make a thread about the following in The Porch, or GTF but I'm really not looking for attention, !

you haven't noticed yet dude? gtf is no more. jen didnt renew the website. it has evaporated into cyberspace!
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Shame this team is struggling so bad with all the injuries

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    J-Roll should be back today,doubt will start but he'll be there. Good little run the past week or two. And its funny that all the muts fans who were cherping are all quite now. Go Phills
    Go Birds!!!!
    Probably not the right thread for this but anyway....

Buzz Bissinger is back writing for the Inquirer? That is pretty fucking fantastic if you ask me.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    J-Roll should be back today,doubt will start but he'll be there. Good little run the past week or two. And its funny that all the muts fans who were cherping are all quite now. Go Phills

Does Charlie immediately put him back in the leadoff spot or does he leave Victorino there for awhile. The way Victorino is driving in runs I'd leave him in the 1 hole for now and put Rollins 7th.

will be interesting to see what roster spot they use. valdez is out of options. maybe put Castro on the DL but not sure what they are planning to do.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Buzz Bissinger is back writing for the Inquirer? That is pretty fucking fantastic if you ask me.

yeah i've noticed some articles by him at various points over the last year or so. i don't think its a full time thing though...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah i've noticed some articles by him at various points over the last year or so. i don't think its a full time thing though...

That is pretty interesting. At a time when most big time writers are trying to get out of the newspaper business he comes back. Very commendable, although knowing Bissinger, I am sure he has his reasons.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That is pretty interesting. At a time when most big time writers are trying to get out of the newspaper business he comes back. Very commendable, although knowing Bissinger, I am sure he has his reasons.

did he write about something today? i haven't seen it yet
    www.myspace.com

did he write about something today? i haven't seen it yet

Not that I know of, I breifly heard something on the radio about him this morning. He is one hell of a writer/journalist though.
    The Fixer wrote:

yes fat joe is back...complete with a 5.49 era!....at least he's given us at least 6+ each time out though.
    kendrick gave up 4 in 6 innings last time out. moyer gave up 5 in 5 last time.--you're suddenly a fan of these guys now? weird.

with hamels--the key is consistency. in his last three times out, we've gotten a great outing, an average outing, and a pretty damn good one last night. it seems he's turning the corner finally.

but the same questions at the beginning of the year still remain. bullpen and starting pitching. the good news is that happ might be ready to start throwing off a mound by next week or so. that is encouraging.

okay and while i am at it, ibanez was my other concern. he got his average up to .253 last week. since then he's gone 3 for 20 or something....and dipped back to .237.

don't mean to sound negative, but you asked. the sweep was great, but you have to keep things in perspective. it's a long season. thank god the nl sucks :mrgreen: ................still that was awesome to get the sweep last night. great game.

by the way......brewers starter dave bush last night: former teammate of one, the jeagler, with those crafty wayne american legion indians of the mid nineties. he was a catcher back then.

how about wilson valdez's defense late in the game last night? i couldn't believe he missed that fat fuck's liner up the middle, looked like the ball was hit right through his glove, but he more than made up for it. that was fun to watch.

that is all.

GO. PHILS.

Their starting pitching is fine. Ibanez blows and so does the bullpen
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

3 Nights in August was a great read. Highly recommended
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

3 Nights in August was a great read. Highly recommended

Yeah, 3 nights in august was great, Friday night lights is awesome and a prayer for the city is one of the best books i have ever read.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,957
    The Fixer wrote:

Anyway, I was going to make a thread about the following in The Porch, or GTF but I'm really not looking for attention, !

you haven't noticed yet dude? gtf is no more. jen didnt renew the website. it has evaporated into cyberspace!

Yeah, I knew that. I figured with her moving and the domain was available when I tried going there. I meant GTF here in the PJ section.

And Fixer, early VH is bad ass. Incredibly cheesey, but it fucking rocks. Talking Bout Love, I'll Wait, Running With The Devil, and Hot For Teacher are all sick tunes if you ask me.
    Any of you clowns hitting the newark show tomorrow? There seems to be mixed responses on the Porch to whether or not you're allowed to tailgate up there. Me and my crew will be giving it a try. Anyway, if anyone's heading up there and wants to hang out before the show, let me know.

Yeah, I knew that. I figured with her moving and the domain was available when I tried going there. I meant GTF here in the PJ section.

And Fixer, early VH is bad ass. Incredibly cheesey, but it fucking rocks. Talking Bout Love, I'll Wait, Running With The Devil, and Hot For Teacher are all sick tunes if you ask me.

david lee roth era VH rocks...the sammy haggar years, eh, not so much except a few tunes.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

that is all.

GO. PHILS.

Their starting pitching is fine. Ibanez blows and so does the bullpen
    :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.