***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    hamels pitched his ass off tonight and Lidge looked good. I've been saying hamels will be fine and Lidge is a question mark. If he can be somewhere between 08 and 09 I think the bullpen pieces will fall into place. Tonight was a good sign...if he can command his fastball he can dominate. Fastball location is the key.

Ryan Howard was terrible. I don't know what that dude is thinking sometimes. Forget what inning it was (want to guess 6th). He comes up with 1 out and a dude on 3rd (he seems to always struggle in these spots)...wainwright is obviously pitching around him to get to werth (the RH). howard gets a 2-0 count...keep in mind that wainwright has NO CHANCE OF THROWING A FASTBALL HERE (he has a base open, a RH on deck, and he wants to set up a DP)...wainwright throws a nasty deuce that howard flails at and misses. he ends up grounding out to first and the phils didn't score that inning. I can't believe he swung at a 2-0 breaking ball. that just can't happen. he has to be smarter there. 25 million a year...what a joke. then he could have had a guy at third late in the game, but failed to even make a throw, because he knows he can't make that throw and didn't want to toss the ball away. that contract is an abortion

i'm okay with him not making that throw.

but that at bat was awful. he goes into bad streaks like this...

hamels was great. the key is putting together 2-3 good starts in a row now. he's had a couple other starts like this so far this year only to shit the bed the next time out. gotta have the consistency out of your number 2....
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    DAMN! I missed a Chooch walk off homer cuz of Lost.

i love chooch.

hamels looked great tonight until some other fucking buffoon ran onto the field in the 9th.

these kids and the idiots who cheer them on should do us all a favor and stay the hell home.

the new fans are terrible. I had to listen to two girls behind me tonight talk like valley girls for the entire game. and some chick that looked like garth from wayne's world was screaming random stupid shit for 7 straight innings two rows behind me. I wish people would just shut up and watch the games. Isn't that what you're really there for?

I love going to phils games, but now it's the cool thing to do and the crowds are just downright annoying.

you finally got it. yes, these are the "new" fans. not the one's booing hamels like you suggested previously. the "new" fans aren't even paying attention to the game.
    www.myspace.com
    RW81233 wrote:
    i'm not saying they don't deserve jail or punishment, i'm just saying doing something that could kill somebody isn't really going to help anything. you really think that in the contemporary socio-political moment if that drunk dude or the kid broke a bone, tore an ACL, or died from the tazing the taxpayers aren't footing the bill for the lawsuit? if the kid or drunk reached for their pocket or had something in plain view I agree, but their hands were in plain site...this makes little sense.

you are missing the point. the cop followed proper police protocol. it's the same thing if a guy was running away from the police on the street. you run away from the cops, you very well could end up getting tasered. if you have a problem with it, bring it up with city hall....or oakland's city hall. the cop acted accordingly.

this is now a non issue.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think it was idiocy on both ends. Going onto the field isn't real smart considering you go to jail for doing it. However, where in that chase do you get the idea that he was going to do something wrong? He was waving those lame as white philly flags. Given the Philly police's past, and the danger of tazing someone (many have died and had psych problems from being tazed) who was visibly weaponless and not making any dangerous movements, this wasn't the best idea...jail the F out of him, or make him do community service, but there was no reason in this instance to zap the kid.

you probably think every kid should get a trophy in little league as well. welcome to the wussification and/or femination of America ladies and gentlemen. The phils pussed out by not making a strong enough statement after the teen punk ran on the field and some ahole did it again last night. I'm sure if the Phils had come out right away and said stay off the field or we will tase you that fuckbrain last night wouldn't have done it - yet the Phils wussed out by saying they'd have to decide if tasering is ok and this is what you get. they should have beaten that guy senseless last night after he did it in the 9th inning with Hamels in his windup. this pc crap has got to stop.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    hamels pitched his ass off tonight and Lidge looked good. I've been saying hamels will be fine and Lidge is a question mark. If he can be somewhere between 08 and 09 I think the bullpen pieces will fall into place. Tonight was a good sign...if he can command his fastball he can dominate. Fastball location is the key.

Ryan Howard was terrible. I don't know what that dude is thinking sometimes. Forget what inning it was (want to guess 6th). He comes up with 1 out and a dude on 3rd (he seems to always struggle in these spots)...wainwright is obviously pitching around him to get to werth (the RH). howard gets a 2-0 count...keep in mind that wainwright has NO CHANCE OF THROWING A FASTBALL HERE (he has a base open, a RH on deck, and he wants to set up a DP)...wainwright throws a nasty deuce that howard flails at and misses. he ends up grounding out to first and the phils didn't score that inning. I can't believe he swung at a 2-0 breaking ball. that just can't happen. he has to be smarter there. 25 million a year...what a joke. then he could have had a guy at third late in the game, but failed to even make a throw, because he knows he can't make that throw and didn't want to toss the ball away. that contract is an abortion
    Did howard have a good game no,so i guess king Albert dosen't deserve that kinda of money since he swung at the first pitch and pooped up with the bases juiced. Not every game is a player gonna be at his best,but ill take howard over just about any player out there period.
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think it was idiocy on both ends. Going onto the field isn't real smart considering you go to jail for doing it. However, where in that chase do you get the idea that he was going to do something wrong? He was waving those lame as white philly flags. Given the Philly police's past, and the danger of tazing someone (many have died and had psych problems from being tazed) who was visibly weaponless and not making any dangerous movements, this wasn't the best idea...jail the F out of him, or make him do community service, but there was no reason in this instance to zap the kid.

you probably think every kid should get a trophy in little league as well. welcome to the wussification and/or femination of America ladies and gentlemen. The phils pussed out by not making a strong enough statement after the teen punk ran on the field and some ahole did it again last night. I'm sure if the Phils had come out right away and said stay off the field or we will tase you that fuckbrain last night wouldn't have done it - yet the Phils wussed out by saying they'd have to decide if tasering is ok and this is what you get. they should have beaten that guy senseless last night after he did it in the 9th inning with Hamels in his windup. this pc crap has got to stop.

the DA should flat out say "if you run onto the field like an idiot, you get to spend a week in jail." that should do the trick.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

the DA should flat out say "if you run onto the field like an idiot, you get to spend a week in jail." that should do the trick.

You can't do that then you're wasting tax payers money

:lol:;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I agree in the part about the new fans being there just to be cool and tailgate and play beer pong at the Phillies game

Then after the game as they're walking out ask the guy next to them "Who won anyway?"

It is annoying but it comes with winning unfortunately

I can't say it ruins my experience going to a game like some but it is what it is
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    edited May 2010
    I agree in the part about the new fans being there just to be cool and tailgate and play beer pong at the Phillies game

Then after the game as they're walking out ask the guy next to them "Who won anyway?"

I can't say it ruins my experience going to a game like some but it is what it is

it is annoying - i am walking in last night at 6:55 and half the parking lot looked like they were an hour away from heading into the game as they are playing beer pong, redneck horseshoes (i get this at concerts but for baseball people- really?) and grilling. and can we stop the people from taking up multiple parking spots for these stupid games. I enjoy a good tailgate but have some courtesy towards others. winning and putting up with this is still better than the alternative though.

Hamels looked great though - has his velocity back it looks like. Lidge looked like he had his great slider (sorry put sinker 1st but was a typing mistake) as well - two huge strikeouts by him - great to see with knucklehead Madson out 2 months.

As for ripping on Howard - see about 3 pages ago - this is what he does at times but at the end of the year the guy will have 45 or more home runs and 140 or so RBIs. the guy is a stud and will be fine. As average as this team has been so far still right there in 1st place.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pjhawks wrote:

it is annoying - i am walking in last night at 6:55 and half the parking lot looked like they were an hour away from heading into the game as they are playing beer pong, redneck horseshoes (i get this at concerts but for baseball people- really?) and grilling. and can we stop the people from taking up multiple parking spots for these stupid games. I enjoy a good tailgate but have some courtesy towards others. winning and putting up with this is still better than the alternative though.

Hamels looked great though - has his velocity back it looks like. Lidge looked like he had his great sinker as well - two huge strikeouts by him - great to see with knucklehead Madson out 2 months.

As average as this team has been so far still right there in 1st place.

the division sucks
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

Not every game is a player gonna be at his best,but ill take howard over just about any player out there period.

I couldn't disagree with this quote more. He is the 3rd best player on his team!!

He's got to be able to make that throw to third there. The thing is, he knows he can't throw the ball. How can you be in MLB and not be able to throw a ball 90' with accuracy?
    edited May 2010
    pjhawks wrote:

Hamels looked great though - has his velocity back it looks like. Lidge looked like he had his great sinker as well - two huge strikeouts by him - great to see with knucklehead Madson out 2 months.

As for ripping on Howard - see about 3 pages ago - this is what he does at times but at the end of the year the guy will have 45 or more home runs and 140 or so RBIs. the guy is a stud and will be fine. As average as this team has been so far still right there in 1st place.

the stadium wasn't full until the 2nd inning. right before the first pitch I looked around and told my wife how empty the place looked (game was sold out). people go to socialize first and watch the game second. I don't get it.

I think howard is severely overrated. I like him because he's on the phils, but there is no way he's worth his contract. they paid a guy who's useless vs 30% of the pitchers in MLB (lefties) 25 mill per year.

And RBI are the function of a lineup, not a player's ability. They're the equivalent to wins for pitchers. Can't use them to judge a player

Also, lidge doesn't throw a sinker dude
    The Fixer wrote:
    couldn't disagree with this quote more. He is the 3rd best player on his team!!

He's got to be able to make that throw to third there. The thing is, he knows he can't throw the ball. How can you be in MLB and not be able to throw a ball 90' with accuracy?

3rd best player really? you can't be serious or you just have absolutely no clue. who are the other 2 better than him - and pitchers don't count.
    pjhawks wrote:
    [

why don't pitchers count? utley and halladay are both much, much better players.

howard peaked as a player the year he won his MVP. His numbers have trended downward almost every year since then...there was a slight rebound to the mean last year, but I attribute that mainly to the fact that his numbers had fallen off so far.

His BA/OBP vs lefties has decreased every year, his BB rate has decreased, his OBP, his OPS, etc.

I don't want to sound like a hater...I'm just saying he's overrated. He has way too many games like he's had the last 2 nights. Then he'll hit a ball 450' and everyone will say how great he is.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    [

why don't pitchers count? utley and halladay are both much, much better players.

howard peaked as a player the year he won his MVP. His numbers have trended downward almost every year since then...there was a slight rebound to the mean last year, but I attribute that mainly to the fact that his numbers had fallen off so far.

His BA/OBP vs lefties has decreased every year, his BB rate has decreased, his OBP, his OPS, etc.

I don't want to sound like a hater...I'm just saying he's overrated. He has way too many games like he's had the last 2 nights. Then he'll hit a ball 450' and everyone will say how great he is.

guy hits 45+ home runs and over 140 rbi's per year and is overrated. man i love the Wip-itis of Philadelphia fans sometimes. other than Pujols is there a 1st baseman you'd rather have on your team than Ryan Howard? move to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and tell me Ryan Howard is overrated - or be a Cubs fan. sickening.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    [

guy hits 45+ home runs and over 140 rbi's per year and is overrated. man i love the Wip-itis of Philadelphia fans sometimes. other than Pujols is there a 1st baseman you'd rather have on your team than Ryan Howard? move to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and tell me Ryan Howard is overrated - or be a Cubs fan. sickening.

I'd definitely take Pujols, Texeira, Cabrera, or Gonzalez over howard. And I'd seriously consider morneau, fielder, and votto (depending on whether you're talking for one year or long term).

You keep coming with RBI. THEY ARE A PRODUCT OF A PLAYERS LINEUP!! Put Gonzalez in the phils lineup and he knocks in more runs than howard (he makes more contact, hits for a higher average, etc).

Howard is a good player. he's already peaked. I think he's overrated...the contract they gave him is asinine

and I don't listen to 610...it makes people dumber
    The Fixer wrote:

I'd definitely take Pujols, Texeira, Cabrera, or Gonzalez over howard. And I'd seriously consider morneau, fielder, and votto (depending on whether you're talking for one year or long term).

You keep coming with RBI. THEY ARE A PRODUCT OF A PLAYERS LINEUP!! Put Gonzalez in the phils lineup and he knocks in more runs than howard (he makes more contact, hits for a higher average, etc).

Howard is a good player. he's already peaked. I think he's overrated...the contract they gave him is asinine

moronic
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

moronic

It is actually the most intelligent thing written in probably the last 5 pages of this thread. Whats moronic is your ability to offer an educted response.

Edit: Only half serious but what he wrote is absolutely dead on.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

moronic

It is actually the most intelligent thing written in probably the last 5 pages of this thread.

really so you would consider Joey fn Votto and Prince Fielder over Ryan Howard? and if Mark Texeira was so damn good he wouldn't have been on 3 different teams already. I guess the Phils are now falling into the Eagles trap where nothing or no one is good enough for the WIP-like idiots of the world. You two guys are probably the same guys who rip Rollins and Victorino for lousy on-base percentage but chide Howard for knocking in 140+ runs a year. Use statistics only for your arguments but dismiss them when they don't show what you want.

Joey Votto and Prince Fielder? wow wow wow - really guys?

Joey Votto's career high in homers so far is 25 and career rbi's is 84. I guess playing for thePhils would increase his homers by 20 a year and rbi's by 60 a year.
    pjhawks wrote:
    really so you would consider Joey fn Votto and Prince Fielder over Ryan Howard? and if Mark Texeira was so damn good he wouldn't have been on 3 different teams already. I guess the Phils are now falling into the Eagles trap where nothing or no one is good enough for the WIP-like idiots of the world. You two guys are probably the same guys who rip Rollins and Victorino for lousy on-base percentage but chide Howard for knocking in 140+ runs a year. Use statistics only for your arguments but dismiss them when they don't show what you want.

Joey Votto's career high in homers so far is 25 and career rbi's is 84. I guess playing for thePhils would increase his homers by 20 a year and rbi's by 60 a year.

I was not necessarily talking about Fielder or Votto, just the overall argument. RBI's are a flawed stat, it just is . I am a fan of OBP, the more people on base the more RBI chances your team has. While Votto would not have 45 home runs if he played for the Phillies (RBI's would increase though), Howard would sure has fuck not have 145 RBI's if he were playing for the Reds.

and I don't listen to 610...it makes people dumber[/quote]

moronic[/quote]

It is actually the most intelligent thing written in probably the last 5 pages of this thread.[/quote]

Joey Votto's career high in homers so far is 25 and career rbi's is 84. I guess playing for thePhils would increase his homers by 20 a year and rbi's by 60 a year.[/quote]

dude, you're all over the place here.

The texeira point is just plain stupid. Arod has been on 3 teams and he's pretty good. guys move around all the time in sports today.

I said I'd consider votto and fielder, depending on whether or not you're talking long term or short term. fielder and votto both hit 300 (fielder was at 299) last year with OBP over 400. Both are younger than howard. Both make more contact than howard. All of these stats show that if you replaced howard with these players, they would have the same amount, if not more, RBI than howard does in the phils lineup.

Rollins and howard are two completely different players. Rollins shitty OBP is far from ideal for a leadoff guy, but he makes up for that by playing outstanding defense. He also plays a premium defensive position, so there is tons of value to his defense. I would rather have seen the phils overpay to keep rollins than howard. 1B is not a difficult position to find replacement players. Stick any of those 1B I mentioned in the phils lineup and they will give you the same shiny RBI totals as howard.
    How fucking dumb do you have to be to run onto a field with pot on you?
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

moronic

great insight...you're brilliant
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that dude was about 5 rows in front of me last night. he didn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm sure he's one of the fans who's impressed with howard's RBI totals
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that dude was about 5 rows in front of me last night. he didn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm sure he's one of the fans who's impressed with howard's RBI totals

haha, thats funny. Yeah, deadspin has a picture of him. Didn't look real brilliant. He is an aspiring DJ (34 years old) and most certaintly a gigantic fan of RBI's.

http://deadspin.com/5531577/last-nights ... -bloodlust
    pjhawks wrote:

Hamels looked great though - has his velocity back it looks like. Lidge looked like he had his great slider (sorry put sinker 1st but was a typing mistake) as well - two huge strikeouts by him - great to see with knucklehead Madson out 2 months.

redneck horseshoes? are you talking about cornhole? because there's not a god damn thing wrong with that. sports or concert in my eyes...
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Howard 277avg 142hr 49hr. Pujulos 335ang 122rbi 41hr. Tex 297avg 114rbi 33hr. Fielder 283 110 39. Cabrera 318 115 32. Gonzalez 285 100 32. These are each players avgs since 2006. Howard is 6th in avg and 1st in both hrs and rbis. Pujulos is 1st in avg and 2nd in rbis and hrs. Tex is 3rd in avg and 4th in both rbis and hrs. Fielder is 5th in avg and rbis and 3rd in hrs. Cabrera is 2nd in avg 3rd in rbis and tied for 5th in hrs. Gonzalez is 4th in avg 6th in erbis and tied for 5th in hrs. The numbers don't lie albert is the only player who is better then howard at that posotion joey voto is a joke of a comparsion.
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited May 2010
    Howard 277avg 142hr 49hr. Pujulos 335ang 122rbi 41hr. Tex 297avg 114rbi 33hr. Fielder 283 110 39. Cabrera 318 115 32. Gonzalez 285 100 32. These are each players avgs since 2006. Howard is 6th in avg and 1st in both hrs and rbis. Pujulos is 1st in avg and 2nd in rbis and hrs. Tex is 3rd in avg and 4th in both rbis and hrs. Fielder is 5th in avg and rbis and 3rd in hrs. Cabrera is 2nd in avg 3rd in rbis and tied for 5th in hrs. Gonzalez is 4th in avg 6th in erbis and tied for 5th in hrs. The numbers don't lie albert is the only player who is better then howard at that posotion joey voto is a joke of a comparsion.

now show their OBP, OPS, and BA vs LH. and we wont even talk about defense.

If you think howard is a better hitter than cabrera you are delusional

as for RBI...oh well, I tried. some people will just never get it

You just used 3 numbers. 3, and one most people on here argee is meaningless. If you want to use 3 numbers at least look at the triple slash stats. They will tell you a lot more.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The numbers don't lie albert is the only player who is better then howard at that posotion joey voto is a joke of a comparsion.
    +1

RIBS!!!!!!!!
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

This discussion has been closed.