***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Laynce Nix sucks. The phillies moves this offseason are a bit confusing.

Welcome to the Amaro Era!!!

Pretty bad when the team you support has made 5 offseason moves and the one you like best is them giving brian sanches a minor league deal.

Fuckin amaro
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    love all the action at the winter meetings...

Phillies Are Strong Players For Aramis Ramirez
    By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 9:32am CST]

The Phillies are strong players for free agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez, tweets Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. A week ago, Ramirez's agent Paul Kinzer named the Angels as one of four or five teams with serious interest in his client, and an offer from the Halos seems likely after Ramirez visited the club. The Brewers are also in the mix. Kinzer said in November that Ramirez seeks a four-year deal or three-year contract with an option.

The Phillies have third baseman Placido Polanco under contract for 2012, though the 36-year-old had double hernia surgery in October.

Would be another 3-4 year contract to a player who will be 34 next season. Phillies gotta get younger, I wouldn't like it.

he's had major shoulder issues too. I'm sure they will give him 5 years

I think you guys get my drift. I have zero confidence in amaro. I want gillick back
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nix: 2 yrs, $2.5M

Bench bat, no real risk. The Phillies really like getting shit done early though. One less suitor for the Yanks to compete with for Andruw Jones.

he's amaro's type of guy. can't get on base and strikes out a ton. this formula has worked wonders for them in the playoffs.

when he said after the choke job to STL that the offense needed to 'change it's entire approach', he obviously wanted to bring in wigginton, nix, and thome to help accomplish that.

unbelievable
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nix: 2 yrs, $2.5M

Bench bat, no real risk. The Phillies really like getting shit done early though. One less suitor for the Yanks to compete with for Andruw Jones.

he's amaro's type of guy. can't get on base and strikes out a ton. this formula has worked wonders for them in the playoffs.

when he said after the choke job to STL that the offense needed to 'change it's entire approach', he obviously wanted to bring in wigginton, nix, and thome to help accomplish that.

unbelievable

I read an article yesterday saying just that. That they needed to do better with 2 strikes, then brings in 3 guys who are terrible with 2 strikes.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would you guys prefer Ramirez/whoever at shortstop or Rollins/Polanco? Looking at WAR, it would tell you to go with a combination of Rollins/Polanco over Ramirez/replacement level? Fangraphs hates Ramirez's defense. Ramirez is obviously a much better bet over the next 4 years offensively than Rollins. Interesting situation.

Edit: WAR heavily favors Rollins/Polanco to Ramirez/Valdez. Ramirez is clearly the best hitter in the bunch though.

i'm kinda leaning towards ramirez/replacement (hopefully not wilson valdez) just to kick start the offense. polanco misses way too much time. i still they'll come to terms with jimmy though.

looks like gillick would like for the phils to go after george sherrill. hopefully ruben listens to him there.

why do you want sherrill??

Rollins/polanco vs ramirez/valdez. I think it comes down to what rollins/aramis contract demands are. I think those options are pretty similar. I'd lean to rollins since he is less injury prone and he plays a more premium position, but if his contract demands are 5 years and they can get aramis for 3, then it's a no brainer.

This could be hilarious when it's all said and done. The 2015 phillies could be in line for 40 wins with the signings of all of these older guys (and lack of prospects in the minors). at least howard will still be under contract though :roll:
  • The Fixer wrote:
    at least howard will still be under contract though :roll:

We could've signed Pujols through his age 47 year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    This is Jimmy Rollins's agent.

It's vulgar. Well, vulgar if you're a chick.

The statement above is also instigating a hopefully slam-dunk follow-up comment...

http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6d ... 88b970c-pi
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Of course I'll take the team with superior pitching anyday, but I'm just saying who knows what the hell will happen in a 5 game series.

No doubt. Cashman has said this 400 times this offseason. It's all about getting to the playoffs then it's a crapshoot.

this is a great formula if you have a manger that actually uses the SPs that give his team an advantage. ie, not roy oswalt

The statement above is also instigating a hopefully slam-dunk follow-up comment...

This the Deadspin article? They published some dirt on him, jesus.
    The Fixer wrote:

a 47 year old pujols will still be better than the current version of ryan howard
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is the article - http://deadspin.com/5861982/dan-lozano- ... e-mountain

But I was hoping someone would say, "that's not vulgar, that's vulva!"
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I read the article, didn't want to click on it with some of the pictures since I'm at work.

HA
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

a 47 year old pujols will still be better than the current version of ryan howard

Probably, especially with the ruptured achilles tendon. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I don't have a god damn clue where to post this but a couple people here might enjoy this. I am only part way though but this is great.

http://deadspin.com/5863743/the-two+fis ... ast-badass

It's written by a Yankees blogger who I have been reading for years. His site has more or less turned into Yankees, culture, NYC and everything else. It's great and he is a great writer.

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/
    Madson declining arbitration.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't have a god damn clue where to post this but a couple people here might enjoy this. I am only part way though but this is great.

http://deadspin.com/5863743/the-two+fis ... ast-badass

It's written by a Yankees blogger who I have been reading for years. His site has more or less turned into Yankees, culture, NYC and everything else. It's great and he is a great writer.

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/

That was a really good read. I always enjoy reading about old school writers.
    Sounds like the Phillies are getting closer with Rollins. Lozano is a busy dude.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

delores?
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I read the article, didn't want to click on it with some of the pictures since I'm at work.

HA
    you have a job???? :shock: :shock: ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

HA
    you have a job???? :shock: :shock: ;)

I know, right, a pretty good one too. Forunately I have 3 screens.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

delores?

BOVARY!

delores?

BOVARY!

haha...well played.

so looks like phils could get jimmy back for 3 years with the 4th being an option now?
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'm still not sure how I feel about Jimmy coming back. I know he's a leader but he needs to play better and more often.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

delores?

BOVARY!

haha...well played.

so looks like phils could get jimmy back for 3 years with the 4th being an option now?

Didn't see that, but seems like Jimmy is coming back down to Earth. This whole trading Brown for Gio Gonzalez I'm down with, but the whole trading Cole - no matter what the reason will always bother me, even though he's a puss. The thinking is they free up cash for another big bat, which is cool, I just can't get over the idea of trading Cole. But.....if it nets Justin Upton or someone like that....I guess twist my arm....I guess.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about Jimmy coming back. I know he's a leader but he needs to play better and more often.

Same here. I have less of a problem with changing the roster by getting rid of him, or trading Victorino, than trading Cole.

Jimmy, to me, is the one of the bigger problems with this lineup's approach at the plate.
    Gio stinks. Walked more people in the last 2 years than any pitcher in the game.
    JK_Livin wrote:

Same here. I have less of a problem with changing the roster by getting rid of him, or trading Victorino, than trading Cole.

Jimmy, to me, is the one of the bigger problems with this lineup's approach at the plate.

i agree with both of you....also agree about not wanting to trade cole--which is what they would likely do if gonzalez comes back right?

the jimmy situation kind of reminds me of the birds with dawkins a few years ago.
    www.myspace.com
  • Why would anyone still think Hamels is a wuss? His Game 3 performance this year was as gritty as they come.

He had one bad season, which can be attributed to the Verducci effect, and nobody will forgive him for it.

I think they'll get around to his extension later in the offseason, since they have to go through arbitration otherwise.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The less moves the better for my wallet. I currently have Hamels, Brown and Madson shirseys.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Why would anyone still think Hamels is a wuss? His Game 3 performance this year was as gritty as they come.

He had one bad season, which can be attributed to the Verducci effect, and nobody will forgive him for it.

I think they'll get around to his extension later in the offseason, since they have to go through arbitration otherwise.

i think jp was more referring to the whole carrying his wife's dog in his man purse thing than anything on the field. :lol:

cole is the man
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.