***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    love all the action at the winter meetings...

Phillies Are Strong Players For Aramis Ramirez
    By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 9:32am CST]

The Phillies are strong players for free agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez, tweets Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. A week ago, Ramirez's agent Paul Kinzer named the Angels as one of four or five teams with serious interest in his client, and an offer from the Halos seems likely after Ramirez visited the club. The Brewers are also in the mix. Kinzer said in November that Ramirez seeks a four-year deal or three-year contract with an option.

The Phillies have third baseman Placido Polanco under contract for 2012, though the 36-year-old had double hernia surgery in October.

Whoa. That would be a big one.

i guess this would be a plan b if they lose rollins...then sign furcal/gonazelz or go with the young buck at short? :?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This makes more sense, I would think.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... s-ramirez/

ha...i just read that.

what does it mean when they say "flip" polanco? trade him? or switch positions?
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This makes more sense, I would think.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... s-ramirez/

ha...i just read that.

what does it mean when they say "flip" polanco? trade him? or switch positions?

I assumed trade him. Not sure a team would be willing to pay him $6.5 milion though.
  • Nix: 2 yrs, $2.5M
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    •Amaro's recent meeting with Rollins' agent Dan Lozano "did not go all that well," hears Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com. Rollins is not backing off his desire for a five-year deal, which led the Phillies to inquire about Aramis Ramirez. Yahoo's Steve Henson also hears Lozano and the Phillies are not on the same page about Rollins.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Yeah, I saw that, plus this: "Buster Olney dials in to the Twitter machine to bring you this update:

Phillies said to be very down on polanco because of injuries, lack of pop."

I'm sure they'd have to eat a good portion of Polanco's salary, but I'm cool with that if they make this splash.

On top of it, I think I'm at the point where I really wouldn't mind if they didn't bring Jimmy back.
    Nix: 2 yrs, $2.5M

Bench bat, no real risk. The Phillies really like getting shit done early though. One less suitor for the Yanks to compete with for Andruw Jones.
    Would you guys prefer Ramirez/whoever at shortstop or Rollins/Polanco? Looking at WAR, it would tell you to go with a combination of Rollins/Polanco over Ramirez/replacement level? Fangraphs hates Ramirez's defense. Ramirez is obviously a much better bet over the next 4 years offensively than Rollins. Interesting situation.

Edit: WAR heavily favors Rollins/Polanco to Ramirez/Valdez. Ramirez is clearly the best hitter in the bunch though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would you guys prefer Ramirez/whoever at shortstop or Rollins/Polanco? Looking at WAR, it would tell you to go with a combination of Rollins/Polanco over Ramirez/replacement level? Fangraphs hates Ramirez's defense. Ramirez is obviously a much better bet over the next 4 years offensively than Rollins. Interesting situation.

Edit: WAR heavily favors Rollins/Polanco to Ramirez/Valdez. Ramirez is clearly the best hitter in the bunch though.

i'm kinda leaning towards ramirez/replacement (hopefully not wilson valdez) just to kick start the offense. polanco misses way too much time. i still they'll come to terms with jimmy though.

looks like gillick would like for the phils to go after george sherrill. hopefully ruben listens to him there.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm kinda leaning towards ramirez/replacement (hopefully not wilson valdez) just to kick start the offense. polanco misses way too much time. i still they'll come to terms with jimmy though.

looks like gillick would like for the phils to go after george sherrill. hopefully ruben listens to him there.

Yeah, I was originally leaning that way, then got a bit swayed back when I looked at the WAR, tough call. That is really valuing Polancos defense. I do too, just like the Jeter negotiations last winter.

Haven't seen much of Sherrill since he left the AL, had a bounce back year last year it looks like though. Read today Gillick could end up with the Dodgers, their President, I think.
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. If anyone is willing to take a crippled Tumor Head and somone's willing to give Jimmy more than he's worth I'd do it. Stats are out the window come the playoffs and no matter what this team would be good enough with Ramirez at 3rd and (fill in the blank at short) to make the playoffs. I want the lineup to be different solely for the playoffs. I'm a huge fans of advanced stats and all that, but I'm at the point where they mean absolute donkey dick in the playoffs.

And here's a good article on it - http://www.brotherlyglove.com/2011/12/0 ... y+Glove%29
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. If anyone is willing to take a crippled Tumor Head and somone's willing to give Jimmy more than he's worth I'd do it. Stats are out the window come the playoffs and no matter what this team would be good enough with Ramirez at 3rd and (fill in the blank at short) to make the playoffs. I want the lineup to be different solely for the playoffs. I'm a huge fans of advanced stats and all that, but I'm at the point where they mean absolute donkey dick in the playoffs.

And here's a good article on it - http://www.brotherlyglove.com/2011/12/0 ... y+Glove%29

I hear you. That article essentially says what I said. Interesting situation. Don't really think either will make or break the team but Ramirez will definitely add something different to the lineup.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you. That article essentially says what I said. Interesting situation. Don't really think either will make or break the team but Ramirez will definitely add something different to the lineup.

A lineup of like this would definitely be a shake up too...

Victorino
    Utley
    Ramirez(Pence)
    Howard(Ramirez)
    Pence
    Mayberry/Wigginton/Nix
    Ruiz
    Galvis

** - ( ) while Howard is hurt

I don't mind that lineup at all. Plus, I like a roster where one position is definitely not set in stone. Makes those guys play harder so they get playing time, and keeps the lineup and roster from becoming complacent.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

A lineup of like this would definitely be a shake up too...

Victorino
    Utley
    Ramirez(Pence)
    Howard(Ramirez)
    Pence
    Mayberry/Wigginton/Nix
    Ruiz
    Galvis

** - ( ) while Howard is hurt

I don't mind that lineup at all. Plus, I like a roster where one position is definitely not set in stone. Makes those guys play harder so they get playing time, and keeps the lineup and roster from becoming complacent.

Ramirez definitely adds more power to it. I do agree with Jeags and think they will resign Rollins but its definitely a fun situation to look at. Edit: That is definitely a better 1-5.

I don't know about the complacency thing, I mean, on a team like the Phillies, Red Sox or Yankees, I would really fucking hope you don't have to worry about players giving away at bats and getting lazy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ramirez definitely adds more power to it. I do agree with Jeags and think they will resign Rollins but its definitely a fun situation to look at.

I don't know about the complacency thing, I mean, on a team like the Phillies, Red Sox or Yankees, I would really fucking hope you don't have to worry about players giving away at bats and getting lazy.

I don't know, dude. Look at the Red Sox situation last year. And the Phils definitely the past years acted like their spot in the playoffs was already locked up because of their fantasy rotation. Then, come the playoffs, unless their pitching was dominating they had their thumbs up their asses. Especially Jimmy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ramirez definitely adds more power to it. I do agree with Jeags and think they will resign Rollins but its definitely a fun situation to look at.

I don't know, dude. Look at the Red Sox situation last year. And the Phils definitely the past years acted like their spot in the playoffs was already locked up because of their fantasy rotation. Then, come the playoffs, unless their pitching was dominating they had their thumbs up their asses. Especially Jimmy.

Yeah, I guess I just ate my words throwing the Red Sox in there considering that is exactly what happened to them. I guess you're right, I just have a hard time with that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I guess I just ate my words throwing the Red Sox in there considering that is exactly what happened to them. I guess you're right, I just have a hard time with that.

I just think it speaks to the one of many unmeasurable stats in baseball that shows brightly in the playoffs - you just have no fucking idea that Mark Lemke, Scott Spiezio, Cody Ross, etc. are going to blow up in the playoffs. You build teams to win divisions, home field advantage, make the playoffs, etc. Then come the playoffs it all goes out the window. Building superior teams shows up in 94,95,100+ win teams during the season but it's a huge roll of the dice come the playoffs. Of course I'll take the team with superior pitching anyday, but I'm just saying who knows what the hell will happen in a 5 game series.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I just think it speaks to the one of many unmeasurable stats in baseball that shows brightly in the playoffs - you just have no fucking idea that Mark Lemke, Scott Spiezio, Cody Ross, etc. are going to blow up in the playoffs. You build teams to win divisions, home field advantage, make the playoffs, etc. Then come the playoffs it all goes out the window. Building superior teams shows up in 94,95,100+ win teams during the season but it's a huge roll of the dice come the playoffs. Of course I'll take the team with superior pitching anyday, but I'm just saying who knows what the hell will happen in a 5 game series.

No doubt. Cashman has said this 400 times this offseason. It's all about getting to the playoffs then it's a crapshoot.
  • So should I pay the whole thing for my season tixx this week to get 2 coffee mugs?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    So should I pay the whole thing for my season tixx this week to get 2 coffee mugs?

Ha. I have the same quandary.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    So should I pay the whole thing for my season tixx this week to get 2 coffee mugs?

whats that? like 4 grand for a couple of crappy coffee mugs? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:

whats that? like 4 grand for a couple of crappy coffee mugs? :lol:

It just boils down to timing - if I give them the money for them to collect interest on & they send me 2 coffee mugs. I have a 17 game plan - about $2G for 4 seats.

• From the Phillies:
    Dear Seasonticketholder (me),

With baseball's "Hot Stove" season in full swing, we are inviting Phillies Season Ticket Holders to take part in an exclusive question and answer session with Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr.

As a season ticket holder, you can submit a baseball question that you would like to see Ruben address. We will randomly select 10 questions and Tom McCarthy will conduct a video interview with Ruben which we will post on the Phillies Season Ticket Holder Website, www.phillies.com/sth, beginning on Friday, December 16. The deadline to submit a question is December 13 at 5 p.m. ET.

We hope you enjoy the chat with Ruben and we appreciate your continued support of the Phillies as a Season Ticket Holder.

Well ain't I just tickled fucking silly! :roll: :lol:

From the Phillies:

With baseball's "Hot Stove" season in full swing, we are inviting Phillies Season Ticket Holders to take part in an exclusive question and answer session with Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr.

As a season ticket holder, you can submit a baseball question that you would like to see Ruben address. We will randomly select 10 questions and Tom McCarthy will conduct a video interview with Ruben which we will post on the Phillies Season Ticket Holder Website, http://www.phillies.com/sth, beginning on Friday, December 16. The deadline to submit a question is December 13 at 5 p.m. ET.

We hope you enjoy the chat with Ruben and we appreciate your continued support of the Phillies as a Season Ticket Holder.

Too bad Fixer has his hands full. Am sure he would love to ask RAJ a question or two :lol:
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    From the Phillies:

As a season ticket holder, you can submit a baseball question that you would like to see Ruben address. We will randomly select 10 questions and Tom McCarthy will conduct a video interview with Ruben which we will post on the Phillies Season Ticket Holder Website, http://www.phillies.com/sth, beginning on Friday, December 16. The deadline to submit a question is December 13 at 5 p.m. ET.

Too bad Fixer has his hands full. Am sure he would love to ask RAJ a question or two :lol:

Came on here just to comment about this Q&A. I hope rube has a lot of space in his inbox. he can expect 50 questions from me regarding his ineptitude.

And yes, I paid my season ticket invoice. Was a snap since I had close to a thousand dollar credit from last year's unused playoff tix :roll:

My patience has worn thin with this guy. I'm sick of his stupid moves. Not sure how the hell he got into stanford. It sure as hell didn't have anything to do with his ability to correctly analyze ROI or break even points. I think he was an ECON major too, which is even more mind boggling.

Fucking Ty wigginton and laynce nix. Ridiculous
    http://twitter.com/#!/jaysonst/status/1 ... 4337494016

How do you think the Phillies would feel about this? I can't see it happening but he would definitely get a good raise from about $5 million which would certainly be something they probably weren't planning on. Would certainly leave you with a good bullpen, but uncesessary, like the Yankees :twisted:
    My sister-in-law went to Lehigh's win at Towson. She's an Engineer.

Winning points came on a 4th qtr safety :shock: . Tough loss. Not sure why they didnt give West the ball more. Maybe andy reid was calling towson's plays (see what I did there?)

Great season for Towson though. They had won three games total the last two seasons. They were picked to finish last in the CAA and won the conference. Best part is that most of their starters are sophomores/frosh form Ambrose's first couple of recruiting classes. They should be a force until he inevitably leaves for a D-1 school.

Now hopefully Skurry can turn the hoops program around.

did you SIL go to Lehigh? My cousin went there and now works for Deloitte. She was talking junk on FB...damn her.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    did you SIL go to Lehigh? My cousin went there and now works for Deloitte. She was talking junk on FB...damn her.

Yea, that's why I said she's an Engineer. That used to be their nickname, as it was/is an engineering school.

I want to ask Ruben if Pap's last game with the Sox had any impact on his decision. Have to find my account number first.

Did the baby come out yet?

The Fixer wrote:

Yea, that's why I said she's an Engineer. That used to be their nickname, as it was/is an engineering school.

I want to ask Ruben if Pap's last game with the Sox had any impact on his decision. Have to find my account number first.

Did the baby come out yet?

never knew that about lehigh

I could send him questions for hours. Howard, papelbon, thome, nix, wigginton, polanco, lee trade to seattle, manuel, etc, etc, etc

sandberg just won baseball america's minor league manager of the year award. phils need to give him the managerial job before someone hires him away. he's obviously a better fit than manuel's dumb ass.

yeah, baby was born friday night. whoever invented coffee definitely had babies at the time
This discussion has been closed.