***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The Fixer wrote:
    This weekend I took the wife out for our last dinner before the little one arrives. Had never been to Del Frisco's. That place is awesome.

Still think the Capital Grill has the best filet.

You gotta convert to the ribeye dude. Filets are for chicks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    The Fixer wrote:
    This weekend I took the wife out for our last dinner before the little one arrives. Had never been to Del Frisco's. That place is awesome.

I like Del Friscos a lot. I have never been a fan of Capital Grill, been to a few and always underwhelmed. I think Barclay Prime is the best in Philly. Only been to Butcher and Singer for lunch and it was really good. Del Frisco, Smith and Wollensky and Palm are probably my favorite chain steakhouses.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Go to Phillies.com if ya wanna see 'Douche in the red pinstripes.
    to be fair, nobody really looks good in pinstripes.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

:thumbup:

food without fat is essentially food without flavour ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

If I am getting steak I always get filet. I think it's by far the best meat. ribeye, t-bone, porterhouse don't compare (and they can be fatty as hell, which is nasty)

So I guess I'm a chick. I don't care. Filet oscar every time.
    polaris_x wrote:

that's weird...I love chicken and fish too. I find them both to be tasty and fat free.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

that's weird...I love chicken and fish too. I find them both to be tasty and fat free.

It's all about the fat. A cowboy ribeye from one of those fancy places is the pinnacle of meat eating.

I make roasted chicken and give the family all the breast meat, and I take all the fatty stuff. :D

Fixer: "I'll have the filet oscar"
    Waiter: "And for your husband?" :P ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

It's all about the fat. A cowboy ribeye from one of those fancy places is the pinnacle of meat eating.

I make roasted chicken and give the family all the breast meat, and I take all the fatty stuff. :D

Agreed. I'll occasionally get a filet but that is only because I rarely, if ever, grill them myself. The best cowboy ribeye I had was at this old school steakhouse in Vegas but down by Fremont street. Shit was gigantic and all types of awesome. I'll have to dig it up.

Same way with chicken. Hate the dried out shit.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed. I'll occasionally get a filet but that is only because I rarely, if ever, grill them myself. The best cowboy ribeye I had was at this old school steakhouse in Vegas but down by Fremont street. Shit was gigantic and all types of awesome. I'll have to dig it up.

You & Neily are gonna love this. The best steak I ever had was at Wolfgang's Steakhouse in NY - a cowboy ribeye. For lunch. :o I was still full for dinner the NEXT day. I guess the guy used at Peter Lugar, which I've never been to.

exactly ... dark meat only at my house! ... haha ... saw an episode of some food show with michael symon and he refused to make his chicken dish because all that was available was boneless, skinless chicken breast! ... haha ...

fixer ... most people cook chicken breast with a heavy sauce or something for a reason ... also, fish has quite a bit of fat ... it's just not the kind we normally talk about ... but fish oils are a healthy ingredient in one's diet ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You & Neily are gonna love this. The best steak I ever had was at Wolfgang's Steakhouse in NY - a cowboy ribeye. For lunch. :o I was still full for dinner the NEXT day. I guess the guy used at Peter Lugar, which I've never been to.

I like Wolfgangs a lot. Thats awesome. I am disappointed to say I have never been to Peter Lugar actually. Embarrassing, I have heard pretty fantastic reviews though.
    just gotta add - my girlfriend USED to buy/order chicken breast and tenderloin or filet ... she now eats ribeyes and dark meat ... which is good and bad cuz if we get a whole chicken ... i actually have to eat some of the breast ... :lol::lol:
  • polaris_x wrote:
    just gotta add - my girlfriend USED to buy/order chicken breast and tenderloin or filet ... she now eats ribeyes and dark meat ... which is good and bad cuz if we get a whole chicken ... i actually have to eat some of the breast ... :lol::lol:

The breast should still be tender if you cook it right. But definitely not as much flavor as the dark stuff. Just dump a bunch of the drippings onto it for flavor. 8-)

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah the whole idea makes no sense. This team has to do all it can to win a title in 2012, because I don't see a whole lot of promise in the medium-term future.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah the whole idea makes no sense. This team has to do all it can to win a title in 2012, because I don't see a whole lot of promise in the medium-term future.

Yeah, I think it's the whole return thing. Any other team not named the Yankees, Red Sox or Phillies would most definitely look to move him but the Phillies can't. Plus they can't lose their youngest pitcher.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

capital grill porterhouse. don't think it gets much better.............i just drooled all over my keyboard.

and del frisco's is a quality restaurant. haven't been there in ages though.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I was reading something about how his peripherals are in no way attainable.

This team needs to give us some good news and lock hamels up long term. How ironic is it that RAJ carelessly wastes money on guys like ibanez, howard, papelbon, etc...and he takes his time with someone like hamels, who has a great chance of exceeding the value of his next contract.

Ah, serenity now

The Phillies have $95 million locked up in 5 players for 2013 and that only includes 2 position players. Not good. Unless they plan on being the Yankees, Hamels may be more difficult than thought.

I was just thinking this, actually. And I think that's the sentiment. I think they're going to be financially bigger than even the Red Sox. At some point I could see them coming close to the Yankees. And if that's the case, then spending isn't an issue. I'm sure this organization has projections of where they see themselves in the long-run. I'm starting to really believe that.

the moves they've made over the years certainly reflect this. seems like each year a number comes out that nobody thinks they will spend over and they do.

i think the hamels trade rumor is nonsense. lock that mother fucker asap.
    www.myspace.com
    and somebody tell jimmy rollins to stop clogging up my facebook home page. hopped on this morning and dude had about 20 posts about the fucking fight last night. awful.

So defriend him. :lol:

i kind of enjoy telling him to shut up. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    fixer ... most people cook chicken breast with a heavy sauce or something for a reason ... also, fish has quite a bit of fat ... it's just not the kind we normally talk about ... but fish oils are a healthy ingredient in one's diet ...

weird, I thought people cooked healthy stuff in heavy sauce because they wanted to get fatter

I take a fish oil pill every day. I understand the benefits. I exercise and take care of myself. I work in the healthcare industry. It's disgusting to me to see how most people treat their bodies (not saying I don't eat anything unhealthy, but it's not difficult to exercise or avoid force feeding yourself slop).

Call me a chick, I don't care. I'm in the minority of US citizens that doesn't qualify as overweight. I will eat my filet and like it.
    I love the texas package, martin perez has superstar potential. I'd seriously consider that trade.

From Kevin Goldstein of BP

"Let's trade Cole Hamels."

As Buster Olney wrote on Monday, it's certainly not a scenario the Philadelphia Phillies' front office wants to face, but it could be one that's at least discussed this winter.

Hamels turns 28 next month and will be a free agent after the 2012 season, and executives throughout baseball are skeptical about the Phillies' ability to keep the ace-level left-hander, considering the rest of their long-term salary commitments. Hamels is most definitely an ace. He's coming off his best season statistically and is in his prime. The Phillies should keep him, since aces don't exactly grow on trees, despite what it might seem like considering their rotation. Aces are also expensive, and if the Phillies decide to trade Hamels prior to the 2012 season, they will certainly find their phones burning up with prospective suitors.

If the Phillies put Hamels on the market, here's what they should be looking for:

1. A replacement in the rotation: Trading Hamels right now is not the best timing, as Roy Oswalt is leaving via free agency, which gives the Phillies two aces in Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay, and then some mortality in Vance Worley and Joe Blanton, with Kyle Kendrick the most likely candidate from within to fill the No. 5 slot. Ignore Kendrick's 2011 ERA (3.22), since pitchers who don't miss bats (4.6 K/9) cannot sustain such numbers. And while teams are highly reticent to trade pitching prospects, they become willing when a pitcher like Cole Hamels is on the table.

2. Bullpen help: Jon Papelbon is simply a Ryan Madson replacement/upgrade, Jose Contreras is old as Methuselah, and most inside the game expect a regression from Antonio Bastardo. Relievers are the most unpredictable commodity in the game, and depth there is always a good thing.

3. Middle infield insurance: Jimmy Rollins is a free agent and Chase Utley is coming off the two worst seasons since his 2004 rookie campaign while missing a combined 106 games during that time. Enough said.

4. Athletes with upside Because when it comes to your players, that's what the Phillies always look for. That's their draft mantra, and likely will be their mantra for trades as well.

So while advising against the idea of it, let's play along and trade Cole Hamels to some likely interested parties, with the help of a big league executive who quipped, "Hey, I love trading other people's players!"

New York Yankees: Manny Banuelos, LHP; Hector Noesi, RHP; Austin Romine, C; Mason Williams, OF.

Banuelos is one of the best left-handed prospects in the game and, like Hamels, his best pitch is a changeup, but Banuelos has plenty of other offerings. He should be ready at some point in the 2012 season, while Noesi can start or relieve right now. Williams is exactly the kind of young, athletic outfielder the Phillies covet, and Romine could develop into a replacement for Carlos Ruiz. "The Phillies need a long-term catcher, and their top catching prospect, Sebastian Valle, is not a sure thing," said the executive.

Boston Red Sox: Will Middlebrooks, 3B; Jed Lowrie, INF; Brandon Jacobs, OF; Felix Doubront, LHP

While Placido Polanco was a Gold Glove winner and somehow an All-Star, he's still well below average offensively for the position, making Middlebrooks a perfect fit as a hot-corner player with above-average offensive and defensive potential who should be ready by 2013 at the latest. Lowrie is a perfect fit for infield depth, while Jacobs is toolsy and coming off a big year in low Class A. The biggest problem for the Red Sox is that they just don't have the arms to compete with other teams. "Doubront is out of options, and the Phillies need left-handed depth," said the exec.

Chicago Cubs: Brett Jackson, OF; Andrew Cashner, RHP; Junior Lake, INF

"People forget that Victorino is a free agent after next year, so a young center fielder could make a lot of sense here," said the executive. Jackson's strikeout issues will keep him from hitting for a high average, but his power and patience will more than make up for it. Cashner is healthy and throwing bullets, so he could give the Phillies a dominant late-inning combination when paired with Papelbon. Lake has tools and size, and some chance at becoming the answer at third base in a couple of years.

Texas Rangers: Martin Perez, LHP; Mike Olt, 3B; Jorge Alfaro, C; Roman Mendez, RHP

Perez has begun to stagnate a bit in the Rangers' system due to inconsistency issues, but he remains a left-handed starting prospect with upside who could pitch in the big leagues this year. Olt is a perfect trade chip as a plus defender at third base who put on a show with the bat in the Arizona Fall League, but he is interminably blocked in Texas by Adrian Beltre. Alfaro and Mendez are the upside plays, with Alfaro most noted for his power and arm, while Mendez brings upper-90s heat.

Detroit Tigers: Jacob Turner, RHP; Casey Crosby, LHP; Danry Vasquez, OF; Gustavo Nunez, SS

While Hamels to the Tigers makes sense, it's a difficult deal to make due to an extremely shallow system. "They just can't get the deal done without including Turner," said the executive, referring to the team's top prospect by a wide margin, who also is close to being ready for a major league rotation. Crosby has a terrifying injury history, but still has two well-above average pitches in his fastball and curveball and could be a weapon out of the bullpen. Vasquez was a big budget signing out of Venezuela in 2010 who offers plenty to dream about, while Nunez is an extra infielder.

Colorado Rockies: Drew Pomeranz, LHP; Chad Bettis, RHP; Charlie Blackmon, OF

Pomeranz was the big prize from Cleveland in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal, and while he's an excellent prospect, Colorado should be happy to flip him in a deal for Hamels. A second-round pick in 2010, Bettis had a breakout performance in the high Class A California League, sitting at 92-96 mph and leading the league in strikeouts. "This is another chance for them to pick up a center fielder, but it's too bad that Colorado is in love with [Dexter] Fowler again," added the executive. That leaves Blackmon, who is solid across the board, but lacks star potential.

Los Angeles Dodgers: Dee Gordon, SS; Allen Webster, RHP; James Baldwin, OF

There are plenty of whispers that the Dodgers could be players this offseason, with a focus on increasing team value now that the McCourt nightmare is in the rearview mirror. The problem is, they just don't have the prospects to play ball with the big boys. "Their system is all pitching, and there just isn't someone who can headline the deal," explained the executive. Thus the inclusion of Gordon, who becomes an immediate Rollins replacement and provides the Phillies with some financial flexibility. Webster is a middle-rotation prospect with a 2013 timetable, while Baldwin is the perfect Phillie as a 20-year-old with some of the best tools around, but he's still learning how to place the baseball.

Washington Nationals: Brad Peacock, RHP; Derek Norris, C; Michael Taylor, OF; Stephen Lombardozzi, INF

"I'm surprised you don't have the Nationals on your list," said the executive as we ran through scenarios. The team is certainly expected to be busy in the free-agent market, so it makes sense that they'd be interested in Hamels. While Peacock lacks the upside of Hamels, he could walk right into the Philadelphia rotation and produce. Norris is a catcher who has tons of power and draws truckloads of walks, so even when he hits .210, he's actually good, as he was in 2011 at Double-A Harrisburg (.210 AVG/.367 OBP/.446 SLG). Taylor is the youthful, athletic outfielder, and Lombardozzi is the perfect fit as an advanced prospect who can play both up-the-middle positions.
    So Schneider is back, Thome is signed, Valdez and francisco look like they'll get arbitration. If mayberry is taking over for the waste of space at first, that leaves openings at SS, LF, and one bench spot. Martinez could be back which would give them the same weak bench they had last year (replacing gload with thome is a wash IMO).

Winter meetings coming up. Things should get interesting
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    The Fixer wrote:
    So Schneider is back, Thome is signed, Valdez and francisco look like they'll get arbitration. If mayberry is taking over for the waste of space at first, that leaves openings at SS, LF, and one bench spot. Martinez could be back which would give them the same weak bench they had last year (replacing gload with thome is a wash IMO).

Martinez I think gets sent down to the minors. Since they kept him on the bench all season last year they can now option him down. Which is what they should do. Looks like the concern is to make the bench better, and to keep the same people would be idiotic. I know you don't like him that much, but I think Cuddyer would be a great fit here.
    The Fixer wrote:

Martinez I think gets sent down to the minors. Since they kept him on the bench all season last year they can now option him down. Which is what they should do. Looks like the concern is to make the bench better, and to keep the same people would be idiotic. I know you don't like him that much, but I think Cuddyer would be a great fit here.

Yeah, I don't want cuddyer. He's 33 and he wants 3+ years. That just compounds their problem of overpaying for old, past their prime players.

I'd love to see them sign a guy like Matt Murton, who could play the corner OF spots and first base. That dude can hit
    That phillies scoreboard is bright a fuck. Was just flying in from Boston and saw that shit glowing a good 10-15 minutes before we landed and couldn't figure out what it was until we got close. Yankees one has to be seen from the moon.
    That's a big fucking package from the Yankees.
    we got rid of sanchez, so I don't understand why you guys are so freaked over the possibility of hamels leaving. they're about the same pitcher. :shifty:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    we got rid of sanchez, so I don't understand why you guys are so freaked over the possibility of hamels leaving. they're about the same pitcher. :shifty:

I hope this post is a joke
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:

well..............hamels is better looking........in a gay sort of way ;)

seriously, sanchez could be hamels.....if he ever pulls his head out of his ass.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:

well..............hamels is better looking........in a gay sort of way ;)

seriously, sanchez could be hamels.....if he ever pulls his head out of his ass.

I call sanchez the left handed AJ Burnett.
This discussion has been closed.