***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• I don't blame Papelboner one bit for taking that deal, and I really don't have any problem with that. I have a problem with the moron who gave him the deal.

His ring collection? What, all one of them? Who's he think he is, Michael Jordan?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I don't blame Papelboner one bit for taking that deal, and I really don't have any problem with that. I have a problem with the moron who gave him the deal.

His ring collection? What, all one of them? Who's he think he is, mariano rivera ?

fixed
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    pjhawks wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    so.....paplebon says "it's not about the money" and that he's in philly "to add to (his) ring collection" :roll:

Oh cut the guy some slack. What would you say?

"I'm very pleased that Mr. Amaro is dumb enough to give me this much money and since I won a World Series in '07, I could give a crap if I win another."

just once i'd love to hear a guy say 'you're damn right it's about the money'

After Burnett signed with the Yankees he said that. He pretty much said, its a dream to play for the Yankees but it is about the money and he's glad the Yankees gave it to him.
    This looks pretty cool. I'll be hitting this up for sure.

http://winterbeerfest.com/
  • I wish Boner would say he signed with the Phils because of the Lower Merion school district or something like that. (IDK if he even has kids, but whatever)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I wish Boner would say he signed with the Phils because of the Lower Merion school district or something like that. (IDK if he even has kids, but whatever)

Funny you should mention this. He has a son, I remember reading about this a couple years ago. He named his son, Gunner, because "it's a bad-ass name". God, I hate that fucking man.
    This probably isn't great. Definitely coming straight from Boras.

Heyman explains the mess that was the Phillies' negotiations with Madson. He says Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. proposed $44MM over four years, which Madson accepted an hour or two later. Oddly, Amaro added at that point that he needed the approval of CEO David Montgomery, according to Heyman. The next day Amaro told agent Scott Boras he'd been unable to get that approval. However, Amaro told Heyman there was no agreement "either verbal or in writing," and also said, "I will stand by my history of integrity forever." Amaro also said Montgomery was aware of the negotiations as they occurred and wasn't responsible for killing the deal. It appears Amaro and Boras are not on the same page as to what constitutes an agreement.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I wish Boner would say he signed with the Phils because of the Lower Merion school district or something like that. (IDK if he even has kids, but whatever)

Funny you should mention this. He has a son, I remember reading about this a couple years ago. He named his son, Gunner, because "it's a bad-ass name". God, I hate that fucking man.

I still love the Mike Hampton Wheat Ridge School District story. Never gets old. :lol:

I told my wife we should pick a badass name for our upcoming arrival, but she wasn't having it. :lol: (ok, I actually didn't say that at all)

It seems that all of us on this forum hate the signing (except the Yankee fans), but I don't get the feeling that all of Phillies phandom feels that way, necessarily. Gonna be hard to organize that "boo him in his first home game" thing.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

I still love the Mike Hampton Wheat Ridge School District story. Never gets old. :lol:

I told my wife we should pick a badass name for our upcoming arrival, but she wasn't having it. :lol: (ok, I actually didn't say that at all)

It seems that all of us on this forum hate the signing (except the Yankee fans), but I don't get the feeling that all of Phillies phandom feels that way, necessarily. Gonna be hard to organize that "boo him in his first home game" thing.

Ha, yeah, I meant to say a la Mike Hampton.

Haha, well that is a good thing. Gunner is certainly not a badass name, not when you say you picked it because it's badass.

Yeah, they definitely don't. I was out all weekend with Phillies fans and most have no problem with it and like it, although they all drink the Phillies kool aid.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933

papelbon will save the majority of games he is asked to save....it won't be a total disaster.....it was just a ridiculous signing....plus, he seems to kinda be a dick.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, they definitely don't. I was out all weekend with Phillies fans and most have no problem with it and like it, although they all drink the Phillies kool aid.

I will openly admit we don't have the brightest fan base. It's mostly bandwagon hoppers. Football & hockey fans in this town are pretty knowledgeable, but baseball, not so much.

We also have a WS title that can be attributed to a closer with a freakishly good season, so people around here probably overrate that position (as do Yankees fans).

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This probably isn't great. Definitely coming straight from Boras.

Heyman explains the mess that was the Phillies' negotiations with Madson. He says Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. proposed $44MM over four years, which Madson accepted an hour or two later. Oddly, Amaro added at that point that he needed the approval of CEO David Montgomery, according to Heyman. The next day Amaro told agent Scott Boras he'd been unable to get that approval. However, Amaro told Heyman there was no agreement "either verbal or in writing," and also said, "I will stand by my history of integrity forever." Amaro also said Montgomery was aware of the negotiations as they occurred and wasn't responsible for killing the deal. It appears Amaro and Boras are not on the same page as to what constitutes an agreement.

I completely believe Boras. Montgomery is still clueless after all of these years. He loves rollins. I would bet money that the phils give him 4-5 years as well.
    edited November 2011
    m
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I will openly admit we don't have the brightest fan base. It's mostly bandwagon hoppers. Football & hockey fans in this town are pretty knowledgeable, but baseball, not so much.

We also have a WS title that can be attributed to a closer with a freakishly good season, so people around here probably overrate that position (as do Yankees fans).

Seems to me a lot of Phillies fans like the big name. The people I know who I consider to be knowledgeable baseball fans don't like it but all, but "bandwagon hoppers" love it. They say "he's proven". Whatever the fuck that means considering he blew saves to end the season a number of time.

The position is undoubtedly overrated across the board.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Seems to me a lot of Phillies fans like the big name. The people I know who I consider to be knowledgeable baseball fans don't like it but all, but "bandwagon hoppers" love it. They say "he's proven". Whatever the fuck that means considering he blew saves to end the season a number of time.

The position is undoubtedly overrated across the board.

Didn't anyone watch that Orioles game this year? :roll: They were probably all rooting for the Phillies to get the wins record (so we could finish getting StL into the playoffs).

All closers are overrated except for your guy.

Towson Tigers now 8-2. Playoffs imminent :thumbup:

Rob Ambrose for President
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    I just wanna know if Bastardo will throw just as well not wearing #58...

I was reading something about how his peripherals are in no way attainable.

This team needs to give us some good news and lock hamels up long term. How ironic is it that RAJ carelessly wastes money on guys like ibanez, howard, papelbon, etc...and he takes his time with someone like hamels, who has a great chance of exceeding the value of his next contract.

Ah, serenity now
    Go to Phillies.com if ya wanna see 'Douche in the red pinstripes.
    edited November 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

This team needs to give us some good news and lock hamels up long term. How ironic is it that RAJ carelessly wastes money on guys like ibanez, howard, papelbon, etc...and he takes his time with someone like hamels, who has a great chance of exceeding the value of his next contract.

Ah, serenity now

The Phillies have $95 million locked up in 5 players for 2013 and that only includes 2 position players. Not good. Unless they plan on being the Yankees, Hamels may be more difficult than thought. Edit: You add $18-$20 mil to that and you are looking at close to $115 million and have to fill every position aside from first and second.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Ah, serenity now

The Phillies have $95 million locked up in 5 players for 2013 and that only includes 2 position players. Not good. Unless they plan on being the Yankees, Hamels may be more difficult than thought.

I was just thinking this, actually. And I think that's the sentiment. I think they're going to be financially bigger than even the Red Sox. At some point I could see them coming close to the Yankees. And if that's the case, then spending isn't an issue. I'm sure this organization has projections of where they see themselves in the long-run. I'm starting to really believe that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Ah, serenity now

The Phillies have $95 million locked up in 5 players for 2013 and that only includes 2 position players. Not good. Unless they plan on being the Yankees, Hamels may be more difficult than thought. Edit: You add $18-$20 mil to that and you are looking at close to $115 million and have to fill every position aside from first and second.

At least they have a closer!!

I don't see this team ever going over the luxury tax threshold. Gotta think that their revenue streams are pretty maxed out at this point.

Then again I never expected them to spend as they did last year so who knows.

Amaro is reckless with these contracts. Remember Gillick preaching fiscal responsibility and flexibility when he got here?? Amaro didn't learn a thing from that time period
    I was just thinking this, actually. And I think that's the sentiment. I think they're going to be financially bigger than even the Red Sox. At some point I could see them coming close to the Yankees. And if that's the case, then spending isn't an issue. I'm sure this organization has projections of where they see themselves in the long-run. I'm starting to really believe that.

I don't know, dude. And I'm not trying to be a dick here but realistically I don't see how that's possible. The Yankees are a global brand and play in one of the most popular cities in the world. They have the YES network that generates billions. Even if the Phillies create their own network, it's just not going to have the same reach as YES. I just don't see how the Phillies can get to that level financially. If they go on a run and win 3 out of 4 world series, then all bets are off, that's obviously what they are hoping for.
  • I was just thinking this, actually. And I think that's the sentiment. I think they're going to be financially bigger than even the Red Sox. At some point I could see them coming close to the Yankees. And if that's the case, then spending isn't an issue. I'm sure this organization has projections of where they see themselves in the long-run. I'm starting to really believe that.

Thing is, when the well runs dry on this core (it's getting close) all these fair weather fans are going to disappear and they're going to have a 200M payroll with a 2/3 full stadium (if that). It's a house of cards. They don't have a TV network or a huge international brand to keep the machine going. They don't have an iconic logo that people will wear in Katmandu even though they've never seen a baseball game in their life.

Oops - Cliffy said the same thing already.

Thing is, when the well runs dry on this core (it's getting close) all these fair weather fans are going to disappear and they're going to have a 200M payroll with a 2/3 full stadium (if that). It's a house of cards. They don't have a TV network or a huge international brand to keep the machine going. They don't have an iconic logo that people will wear in Katmandu even though they've never seen a baseball game in their life.

Oops - Cliffy said the same thing already.

Did you guys read that rosenthal article I posted? Sums up this sentiment pretty well.

After the last 2 playoff exits I don't have confidence that this core is good enough to win another WS. Cant win playoff series if you can't score runs.

Sucks to say it, but I truly believe that.
    The Philadelphia Phillies have locked up Roy Halladay to a long-term deal, and Cliff Lee, and Ryan Howard, and now Jonathan Papelbon. But there doesn't appear to be any conversations between the Phillies and left-hander Cole Hamels, who turns 28 next month and will be eligible for free agency next fall.

AP Photo/Matt Slocum
    If Cole Hamels is looking long-term, he may be forced to look elsewhere.

So very soon, the Phillies will have to make a decision, among three possible outcomes:

1. The Phillies could sign Hamels to a one-year contract for 2012 and prepare themselves for the real possibility that he will walk away next fall as a free agent, with little to no return for his value -- especially in light of the fact that first-round draft pick compensation may be negotiated out of existence in the forthcoming labor agreement. If Hamels stays healthy and productive next season -- and he's coming off the best year of his career right now, after posting a 2.79 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP -- then he will be in position to command offers from the whole parade of big-budget teams, such as the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Giants, Dodgers, Rangers, etc.

If the Phillies keep Hamels into next season, his presence would help them win in 2012, but they would run significant risk of watching a homegrown, talented pitcher walk away with almost nothing to show for it (other than their 2008 championship rings.)

2. Knowing this, the Phillies could theoretically try to take Hamels off the board and lock him up to a long-term deal that would cost them upwards of $20 million a year, which is what his market value would be next fall. Because Hamels is so close to free agency, his market value probably is somewhere between the five-year, $80 million deal that Justin Verlander signed when two years removed from free agency, and the $137.5 million deal that Johan Santana got from the Mets when he was just nine months from free agency. Rival executives are very skeptical that the Phillies want to invest in Hamels. "I don't see them doing it," said one high-ranking NL official. "They would've already made their move if they had wanted to keep him long-term -- and now it'll cost them extra if they tried."

3. The Phillies could do the same thing with Hamels that they did with Lee prior to the 2010 season: trade him this winter, for the best possible return. Look, if they move him now, they would get about 90 cents on the dollar in trade value (presuming that Hamels would work out a long-term deal with his new team). If they wait until next summer, they might get about 80 cents on the dollar in trade value, but it's extremely unlikely that the Phillies -- built to win now -- would consider moving a frontline pitcher in the middle of a season. If they wait until next fall and see Hamels walk away, all they'd get in return would be draft picks.

Some officials believe that the Phillies' best course of action would be to move Hamels this winter if they know now they don't want to pay him $20 million a year. "That would allow them to get back a couple of prospects," said one high-ranking talent evaluator. "But it all depends on what their intentions are, and what their interest level is in bringing him back."

There are a small handful of teams that would be willing to swap prospects for Hamels (along with a commitment to the long-term deal they would want in place before the completion of the trade). The Yankees would be a possible fit, because they would have the prospects to trade, and the need -- if the Phillies were even willing to move Hamels.

The Phillies have been aggressive so far this fall, locking down Papelbon and Jim Thome, and opening conversations with Michael Cuddyer. At some point, Hamels' status is bound to move to the top of the Phillies' docket, and the team will have to make a choice.
    I think I mentioned to you at the bar if they don't plan to or can't extend him then the yanks match up really well with them if they want to get something back. No chance of it happening but it's an interesting thought.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think I mentioned to you at the bar if they don't plan to or can't extend him then the yanks match up really well with them if they want to get something back. No chance of it happening but it's an interesting thought.

I love hamels, but I wouldn't be opposed to them shopping him.

That's way too out of the box for the phils though. they just don't operate that way

claude giroux is unreal. what a beast
    I can't see them doing it either but it could make sense if they dont plan on keeping him, especially with their farm. Just not gonna happen though.
    This weekend I took the wife out for our last dinner before the little one arrives. Had never been to Del Frisco's. That place is awesome.

Still think the Capital Grill has the best filet.
This discussion has been closed.