***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• i know its the b squad ..but i cant believe the nats beat all 5 starters in philly :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    One hit. One fuckin' hit. Yeah, this team has checked out.

Only thing is, I'd like to see the real lineup start playing all the way through starting Saturday or Sunday.

utley and rollins need to get their shit together
    i know its the b squad ..but i cant believe the nats beat all 5 starters in philly :lol:

not that it matters, but the nats won the season series 10-8. that's kinda crazy
  • The Fixer wrote:

Only thing is, I'd like to see the real lineup start playing all the way through starting Saturday or Sunday.

Yeah, they do. When that dude was sliding into second on a close double, Jimmy looked like he could give two shits about actually catching the ball and getting the tag down.
  • Monday will be my barometer on whether they're ready or not.
  • The Fixer wrote:

ohhh so its not the whole b squad????? :lol: amazing actually
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The Fixer wrote:

ohhh so its not the whole b squad????? :lol: amazing actually

Either B squad or dudes don't care.

When Ibanez is batting cleanup, and Ruiz is batting 6th, it's still not their lineup. No worries at all. Talk to me on the 28th and I'll let you know how I feel.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    pjhawks wrote:
    Kratz as a third catcher would never happen. That's ridiculous.

a 3rd catcher is not likely i agree, but minor-league left handed hitting outfielder (not named brown who is clearly not staying) is even more implausible. it's why martinez is a very safe bet. but we can check back in a week to see for sure.

Yeah, I know, you don't follow baseball outside of the Phillies. Moss has been a major leaguer for most of his career up until now. The opposite can be said for Martinez. Will Martinez probably make the roster? Yes, but that wasn't the point of what I posted. The versatility of a dude and where he plays in the field means absolutely nothing - the same value as a fucking third catcher on a playoff roster - when he's never going to see any time at left, center, second, short, or third. If Martinez is playing any of those positions, other than possibly third, in the playoffs then the Phils are fucked. Moss at least gives you pop off the bench in a tie game. His(Martinez) baserunning skills for pinch running in a playoff game is absolutely useless as he doesn't know how to steal. And Moss has the ability to go first to home or first to third AND add pop to the bench. There's a reason they added him to the 40 man recently, and it wasn't just to give guys a day off.

Brandon Moss - 943 games in the minors and 247 (half in one season alone) in the major leagues. not close to most of a career in the major leagues but nice try . and he has zero hits as a phillie at this point and i believe hasn't even started a game yet. sorry not a recipe for a roster spot.

could be a rainout in NY tomorrow night. weather is not looking good here and in NY for friday. either way can't wait to get to the braves series as at least those games will have some meaning.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    can't wait till the phils get back from vacation next week.
    www.myspace.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    can't wait till the phils get back from vacation next week.
    i hope they are as lethargic as I am following a 10 day vacation
  • wake me up when September ends...
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    obviously you guys are the best team in baseball, but if this goes down in some eagles-esque sort of way I'm sure this week will be pointed at as the evidence for the teams indifference down the stretch leading to losses. just want to be a naysayer to that argument now since most of you seem relatively calm, and just fine with resting the regulars.
    wake me up when September ends...

well played
    RW81233 wrote:
    obviously you guys are the best team in baseball, but if this goes down in some eagles-esque sort of way I'm sure this week will be pointed at as the evidence for the teams indifference down the stretch leading to losses. just want to be a naysayer to that argument now since most of you seem relatively calm, and just fine with resting the regulars.

it's not just the eagles. the phillies and flyers are historically in the same boat (in our lifetimes anyway). I would say the sixers, but they just suck every year.

this team's record is kinda deceiving. they have some flaws (bullpen, inconsistent lineup, injuries, idiot manager). the NL was worse than everyone thought it would be and the phils just rolled. They should still cruise to the WS, but we all said that last year too.

I'm ready to see how this all plays out. would be awesome to see this team get a ring for ibanez and oswalt before they leave.
    The Fixer wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

it's not just the eagles. the phillies and flyers are historically in the same boat (in our lifetimes anyway). I would say the sixers, but they just suck every year.

this team's record is kinda deceiving. they have some flaws (bullpen, inconsistent lineup, injuries, idiot manager). the NL was worse than everyone thought it would be and the phils just rolled. They should still cruise to the WS, but we all said that last year too.

I'm ready to see how this all plays out. would be awesome to see this team get a ring for ibanez and oswalt before they leave.
    Sick pitching makes up for flaws especially in the NL. I know because last year the Brewers had the worst starting pitching in the NL, now depending on the measure they are between 2-4...magically that equates to approximately 13-17 more wins. Even if we don't win I'd like to see Prince have a nice farewell, and get on a run that he had late July/Early August(?) where every time he came up you just knew he was gonna get a big hit. It'll be sad to see the fat man go, but he's brought me a lot of joy these past few years and we won't miss his fielding unprowess. However, his presence in the clubhouse as a leader and friend to most of the guys on the team will be a big loss.
  • The Fixer wrote:

Not to mention for Lee & Halladay, who don't have any.

You know, I've actually felt more desperate for a title since 2008. Unlike some others who claim to still have a feeling of satisfaction. Just greedy I guess, or jealous of Boston's 18 titles in the past 10 years. :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

You know, I've actually felt more desperate for a title since 2008. Unlike some others who claim to still have a feeling of satisfaction. Just greedy I guess, or jealous of Boston's 18 titles in the past 10 years. :twisted:

probably has something to do with the fact that we're getting to watch the best teams in phillies history. who knows when they will have legit shots at championships again.

I could live with 09 because I think they lost to a better team. last year was definitely a blown opportunity though
    The Fixer wrote:

this team and frahchise need another one for their legacy. 2 titles in 4 years and 3 world series appearances in 4 years makes it closer to legendary, especially for an NL team. better team than last year if full regular 8 is in the lineup. i'm still very confident.
    pjhawks wrote:

better team than last year if full regular 8 is in the lineup. i'm still very confident.

I don't know how you can say that. the rotation is better, but that's the only facet that's better than last year. look at the starting 8...the only one having a better year than last year is victorino (I think pence/werth is a wash)
  • The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

better team than last year if full regular 8 is in the lineup. i'm still very confident.

I don't know how you can say that. the rotation is better, but that's the only facet that's better than last year. look at the starting 8...the only one having a better year than last year is victorino (I think pence/werth is a wash)

Mayberry/Ibanez platoon is better than Ibanez. Hopefully Howard is healthy - he definitely was not last year. Otherwise, mostly they are just a year older, so I have to agree with Fixer here.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well in my opinion...
    Lee-Hamels as 2-3 ismuch better than Hamels-Oswalt of last year. and it's not really close
    Bastardo-Madson better than Madson-Lidge of last year even with Bastardo not being great lately. I still expect big things from Bastardo in this playoff run.
    Pence has been way better offensively than werth was for this team last year. werth hit under .200 with RISP last year which was the teams biggest issue.
    Rollins-Victorino at top of the order is better than Rollins-Polanco last year. Remember even in the playoffs Charlie was fucking around with the lineup. i like polanco 7th or 8th and rollins and victorino at top.
    and Ibanez-Mayberry platoon way better than just Ibanez as Johnny mentioned.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    well in my opinion...
    Lee-Hamels as 2-3 ismuch better than Hamels-Oswalt of last year. and it's not really close
    Bastardo-Madson better than Madson-Lidge of last year even with Bastardo not being great lately. I still expect big things from Bastardo in this playoff run.
    Pence has been way better offensively than werth was for this team last year. werth hit under .200 with RISP last year which was the teams biggest issue.
    Rollins-Victorino at top of the order is better than Rollins-Polanco last year. Remember even in the playoffs Charlie was fucking around with the lineup. i like polanco 7th or 8th and rollins and victorino at top.

You said starting 8, and now you're talking about the pitching. Obviously the starting pitching is superior to last year.

I like Pence better than Werth too, but you have to give Werth credit for working pitchers. Pence likes to swing at the first pitch about 70% of the time.

As for the order of the lineup, it really doesn't matter that much. It's still the same guys. All that said, at the game last Saturday, with our full lineup out there, I felt like I was watching quite a formidable team.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    As for the order of the lineup, it really doesn't matter that much. It's still the same guys. All that said, at the game last Saturday, with our full lineup out there, I felt like I was watching quite a formidable team.

Thanks captain obvious. Did the 98 wins and best record in baseball help you come to that conclusion at all? :lol:
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thanks captain obvious. Did the 98 wins and best record in baseball help you come to that conclusion at all? :lol:

Sure thing!

I guess my point is that the Phillies ran out a ragtag lineup a lot this year, and it was fun to see the full lineup.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sure thing!

I guess my point is that the Phillies ran out a ragtag lineup a lot this year, and it was fun to see the full lineup.

haha, I gotcha. Just was funny that it sounded like after 95+ wins, you finally came to the conclusion that they were good.

If any of you fuckers hear about any local places that will be getting the Pearl Jam beer, please post it in here. I will be talking to the beer guy I go to to see if he can order and save it for me and I will be sure to let everyone know if I hear anything. Going to take the drive down to the brewery if I have to.
    pjhawks wrote:
    well in my opinion...

You said starting 8, and now you're talking about the pitching. Obviously the starting pitching is superior to last year.

I like Pence better than Werth too, but you have to give Werth credit for working pitchers. Pence likes to swing at the first pitch about 70% of the time.

no re-read what i said please. i said better team IF the starting 8 is healthy. that doesn't mean i think they are better only because of the starting 8 - it means IF the starting 8 is healthy PLUS the pitching they are better than last year. basically if the starting 8 isn't healthly then the additional strength of the pitching staff will be minimalized.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Sure thing!

If any of you fuckers hear about any local places that will be getting the Pearl Jam beer, please post it in here. I will be talking to the beer guy I go to to see if he can order and save it for me and I will be sure to let everyone know if I hear anything. Going to take the drive down to the brewery if I have to.

wow. i can't believe the beer is actually happening. this board wields a lot of power. :thumbup:

i'm gonna do some research. definitely gotta grab a case...
    www.myspace.com
  • wow. i can't believe the beer is actually happening. this board wields a lot of power. :thumbup:

i'm gonna do some research. definitely gotta grab a case...

That is amazingly awesome. I remember reading that thread, being like, haha that's a good one. :lol:

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    haha, I gotcha. Just was funny that it sounded like after 95+ wins, you finally came to the conclusion that they were good.

Part of it is I always think my teams stink. I have many years of negative sports experience that fucked me up. :lol:

Movie was absolutely awesome. Great time. Had a bar at the Franklin institute and it was open to walk around and all after. The sports shit is cool. Great time.

Think the pearl jam beer is only coming in 750ml bottles. Imagine a case of that will be well over $300.
This discussion has been closed.