***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The Fixer wrote:
    6 in the 9th :o Awesome!

Crazy. It's just that in a 5 game series there are only 3 teams in the entire Majors - making the playoffs or not - that I want no part of and that's Detroit, San Fran, and St. Louis.

I think you guys are crazy. I'd love STL in round 1

Nah. I want nothing to do with Pujols in a 5 game. He could change it on his own. Plus, their starters own us in their careers. Garcia always makes us look like poop. And, outside of the Braves, I think they're the only team to really shape their 'pen with more lefties for the strict reason of a team like ours.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I would bring Kendrick.

I'm bringing Kendrick. I put him on there.

Can't argue with your roster. Bowker/Moss isn't a big deal. Bowker can play some 1B though...not sure moss can. Hopefully Howard's foot is fine, but that could come into play when they make their final roster decisions
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    What's that you say? What does my playoff roster for the first round look like? I thought you'd never ask.

My 25th guy is Moss because there's no fucking reason to schlepp Herndon onto this roster for the sole reason that he was on the roster all year, or that he's another run. If they're getting to Herndon in a game then they're in trouble. I'm taking Moss because I would rather want Brown, but that looks like it's not happening. And I've not seen a damn thing out of Bowker since he's been here. Moss at least is more athletic, and has a better established Majors career(for what it's worth).

Lineup-
    1. Rollins - SS
    2. Victorino - CF
    3. Utley - 2B
    4. Howard - 1B
    5. Pence - RF
    6. Ibanez/Mayberry - LF(depending on starting pitcher, and home or away)
    7. Polanco - 3B
    8. Ruiz - C

Bench-
    Schneider(L)
    Gload(L)
    Valdez(R)
    Orr(L)
    Francisco(R)
    Moss(L)

Starters-
    Halladay
    Lee
    Hamels

Pen-
    Oswalt
    Worley
    Kendrick
    Lidge
    Bastardo
    Stutes
    Madson

only 3 starters? I would use 4 throw in Oswalt :mrgreen:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The Fixer wrote:

Nah. I want nothing to do with Pujols in a 5 game. He could change it on his own. Plus, their starters own us in their careers. Garcia always makes us look like poop. And, outside of the Braves, I think they're the only team to really shape their 'pen with more lefties for the strict reason of a team like ours.

I don't want StL either. Rest of the NL stinks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    Crazy. It's just that in a 5 game series there are only 3 teams in the entire Majors - making the playoffs or not - that I want no part of and that's Detroit, San Fran, and St. Louis.

Eh. They don't scare me at all...I think they stink. Atlanta is the only NL team I hope they avoid. Other than that, bring it
  • The Fixer wrote:
    I would bring Kendrick.

I'm bringing Kendrick. I put him on there.

Can't argue with your roster. Bowker/Moss isn't a big deal. Bowker can play some 1B though...not sure moss can. Hopefully Howard's foot is fine, but that could come into play when they make their final roster decisions

Yeah, if either of those guys are getting regular time in the playoffs it's the same thing as Herndon - we're in trouble.

And I stand by my statement that Martinez is overrated when it comes to seeming to be some fast little bastard. You'd think a guy that has over 200 AB's would have more than THREE friggin stolen bases. Unreal. I know his OBP is absolutely terrible, but come on, THREE stolen bases and you're supposed to be considered fast? Orr all day over Martinez.
  • only 3 starters? I would use 4 throw in Oswalt :mrgreen:

Yeah, but in a 5 games series you're only going to be using your 4th starter in one possible scenario - if you're up 2-1. Other than that, it'll be a 3-rotation.
    And I stand by my statement that Martinez is overrated when it comes to seeming to be some fast little bastard. You'd think a guy that has over 200 AB's would have more than THREE friggin stolen bases. Unreal. I know his OBP is absolutely terrible, but come on, THREE stolen bases and you're supposed to be considered fast? Orr all day over Martinez.

Yeah, I'd probably lean orr over martinez as well.

The Nats announcers are acting like this is a playoff series. Pretty annoying
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    It's 2 out of 3 with Herndon, Martinez and Orr. Martinez will almost definitely be on the roster because he is a switch hitter and plays 4 positions. Bowker is awful and highly doubt charlie is taking Moss when he hasn't been on the team all year. Only scenario i see other than those 3 is maybe Kratz as a 3rd catcher.
  • Martinez is dreadful. In the field too. Orr is hands down the better player.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Martinez is dreadful. In the field too. Orr is hands down the better player.

agree that Orr is better but because Martinez is a switch hitter and plays more positions i think he is a pretty solid bet to be on the roster.
  • pjhawks wrote:

agree that Orr is better but because Martinez is a switch hitter and plays more positions i think he is a pretty solid bet to be on the roster.

He blows from both sides.

• Kratz as a third catcher would never happen. That's ridiculous.
  • pjhawks wrote:

He blows from both sides.

Exactly.
    Kratz as a third catcher would never happen. That's ridiculous.

a 3rd catcher is not likely i agree, but minor-league left handed hitting outfielder (not named brown who is clearly not staying) is even more implausible. it's why martinez is a very safe bet. but we can check back in a week to see for sure.
    A full on debate about the 24th and 25th playoff roster spots could take this thread to new heights. Especially with martinez, kratz, herndon, and orr involved :lol:

awesome
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    edited September 2011
    pjhawks wrote:
    Kratz as a third catcher would never happen. That's ridiculous.

a 3rd catcher is not likely i agree, but minor-league left handed hitting outfielder (not named brown who is clearly not staying) is even more implausible. it's why martinez is a very safe bet. but we can check back in a week to see for sure.

Yeah, I know, you don't follow baseball outside of the Phillies. Moss has been a major leaguer for most of his career up until now. The opposite can be said for Martinez. Will Martinez probably make the roster? Yes, but that wasn't the point of what I posted. The versatility of a dude and where he plays in the field means absolutely nothing - the same value as a fucking third catcher on a playoff roster - when he's never going to see any time at left, center, second, short, or third. If Martinez is playing any of those positions, other than possibly third, in the playoffs then the Phils are fucked. Moss at least gives you pop off the bench in a tie game. His(Martinez) baserunning skills for pinch running in a playoff game is absolutely useless as he doesn't know how to steal. And Moss has the ability to go first to home or first to third AND add pop to the bench. There's a reason they added him to the 40 man recently, and it wasn't just to give guys a day off.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • The Fixer wrote:
    A full on debate about the 24th and 25th playoff roster spots could take this thread to new heights. Especially with martinez, kratz, herndon, and orr involved :lol:

awesome

HA. Well said.

On a semi-related note, I don't think Gload knows what it's like to put a ball out of the infield this year.

On a semi-related note, I don't think Gload knows what it's like to put a ball out of the infield this year.

yeah, the dude is obviously hurting. Since his injury he's been worthless. I think getting the LH bat off the bench and the LH guy in the pen are two things that amaro should have made happen. Hopefully it wont matter
  • The Fixer wrote:

yeah, the dude is obviously hurting. Since his injury he's been worthless. I think getting the LH bat off the bench and the LH guy in the pen are two things that amaro should have made happen. Hopefully it wont matter

That's why in a desperate spot I'd bring Moss because we need a lefty off the bench with some pop.

I can't believe what I was hearing on the radio last week - people wanting Savery on the playoff roster without ever seeing him pitch. Ridiculous.
  • And it's Gload's hip right?
    And it's Gload's hip right?

yeah, torn labrum. same injury utley played through in 2009 (which just goes to show how much of an animal that dude is). ARod also had the same injury and missed time a few years ago.

Can't hit, can't run, can't play the field. Other than that he should be a huge help. I still don't understand why they didn't DL him earlier in the year instead of sending mayberry back down.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    And it's Gload's hip right?

yeah, torn labrum. same injury utley played through in 2009 (which just goes to show how much of an animal that dude is). ARod also had the same injury and missed time a few years ago.

Can't hit, can't run, can't play the field. Other than that he should be a huge help. I still don't understand why they didn't DL him earlier in the year instead of sending mayberry back down.

What I read is it's either he plays through it or would have to go under season-ending surgery, which he doesn't want to do.

Yeah, but in a 5 games series you're only going to be using your 4th starter in one possible scenario - if you're up 2-1. Other than that, it'll be a 3-rotation.

yeah i understand what your saying and all. Some/most teams use a 3 man rotation in the playoffs. I personally think they will use a 4 man rotation though esp. in a 7 game series
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729

yeah i understand what your saying and all. Some/most teams use a 3 man rotation in the playoffs. I personally think they will use a 4 man rotation though esp. in a 7 game series

I think you have to in a 7 game series now with the less off days.
  • only 3 starters? I would use 4 throw in Oswalt :mrgreen:

In a 7 game series, yes, Oswalt will be the 4th starter. I was talking about the LDS.
    :oops: my bad
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • One hit. One fuckin' hit. Yeah, this team has checked out.

Only thing is, I'd like to see the real lineup start playing all the way through starting Saturday or Sunday.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    One hit. One fuckin' hit. Yeah, this team has checked out.

Only thing is, I'd like to see the real lineup start playing all the way through starting Saturday or Sunday.
    don't forget how to do the handshake line...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Really? A pitching change with a 6-0 lead with 2 outs? They are playing like this is game 7 of the WS.
This discussion has been closed.