***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    I'm out near Pottstown, and I thought a truck was driving up into the driveway. Ka. Ray. Zee.

Says it happened outside Richmond, Va.

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Felt it in levittown/bristol area.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    i was talking to a dude in cali when it happened and he was laughing his ass off at me :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    hamels to dl. and a fucking earthquake - great day :evil:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    pjhawks wrote:
    hamels to dl. and a fucking earthquake - great day :evil:

He's starting Monday, probably just to get an extra player for the next 2 series
    he's scheduled to start on monday though. i think this is just to give him a couple more days rest...
    www.myspace.com
    he's scheduled to start on monday though. i think this is just to give him a couple more days rest...

ah didn't see that. good to know. and the earthquake shit still sucked. interested to see what Fixer's take is on the earthquake since isn't he down in the washington area?
    pjhawks wrote:

ah didn't see that. good to know. and the earthquake shit still sucked. interested to see what Fixer's take is on the earthquake since isn't he down in the washington area?

what is the big deal about the "earthquake?" no injuries or damage happened...even down in richmond.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

what is the big deal about the "earthquake?" no injuries or damage happened...even down in richmond.

never felt one before - and frankly hopefully never again. it was freaky shit to me. and i can't even imagine one with damage.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

never felt one before - and frankly hopefully never again. it was freaky shit to me. and i can't even imagine one with damage.

it's okay, gloria. you're safe now.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    it's okay gloria. you're safe now.

for now - rainiest month of all time, earthquakes, hurricane on it's way, phils on pace to win 105 games -surely the world is ending soon :lol:
    pjhawks wrote:
    it's okay gloria. you're safe now.

for now - rainiest month of all time, earthquakes, hurricane on it's way, phils on pace to win 105 games -surely the world is ending soon :lol:

we got a little less than a year and a half before that comes. live it up.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

I was working in annapolis (about 30 miles east of DC) when it hit. I didn't know what was going on. I was in a hotel and I thought there was something wrong with the elevators :lol: . Apparently everyone ran out of the building...I kept walking towards the bathroom, I had to piss. Sounded like the toilets were going to explode once I got in there.

First time I had been in a quake. Pretty cool.
    Call me crazy, but this doesn't seem as far fetched as most in the media think it is. I just question whether a guy of thome's integrity would act on a loophole in the rules like this...he seems to be someone that follows rules to a 'T'. Interesting stuff.

Thome was placed on waivers by the Twins on Monday, and presumably, there will be many teams placing a claim on him. Travis Hafner may not play again this season, after being placed on the disabled list Monday, and so the Indians would be a natural fit for Thome, at DH. The White Sox could place a claim on Thome to block him from getting to the Indians. The Blue Jays could place a claim on Thome, in their never-ending quest to collect draft picks; if Thome were to play in 2012, it's possible that he would be worthy of draft-pick compensation this winter, and as we know, Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos loves draft picks the way a 10-year-old loves M&M's.

Texas, which tried to sign Thome in the offseason, could claim the slugger, who would cost only $600,000 for the rest of the season. The Yankees could plug Thome in as their left-handed designated hitter. Virtually every NL team could use someone like Thome coming off the bench, given his power and high on-base percentage: He'd fit San Francisco, Arizona, Milwaukee, the Cardinals and the Phillies in this way. The Braves have Eric Hinske but presumably will place a claim to make sure that Thome never reaches the Phillies in the waiver process.

So sometime in the next 72 hours, the Twins will have the choice of either dealing Thome to the team that's awarded the claim, or withdrawing him from waivers.

But after that, there is a very interesting possibility -- which already is the subject of conversation and debate among some executives around the majors.

Thome has never been part of a championship team, despite coming very close with the 1997 Indians. He has a strong relationship with the manager of one of the current World Series favorites -- Charlie Manuel, he of the Phillies, and formerly of the Indians.

If the Twins don't make a waiver deal with Thome this week, what they could do, after withdrawing him from waivers, is to place him on a different type of waivers -- release waivers. Thome would presumably be claimed by all the teams that will claim him on waivers. But because Thome has the contractual right to veto a trade, he could reject the claim, walk away from his current contract and become a free agent -- and then sign with the Phillies, or any other team.

And if he lands with the Phillies, you can book this: There will be howls of protests from other teams, and a lot of scrutiny, perhaps even from the commissioner's office.

The waiver process is designed to give the worst teams first access to players, and some executives believe that for Thome to land with the Phillies would require machinations that would be beyond the bounds of fair play. "That wouldn't be within the spirit of the rules at all," said one GM.

Some executives believe there would be questions of collusion: In order for the Twins to make a deal for Philadelphia happen, they would have to feel out Thome on what he wants. "And if they know he wants to go to Philadelphia, they would have to make that deal in exclusion of other teams," said one baseball lawyer. "That's a problem. The commissioner's office doesn't want a precedent where one team is effectively using a rules loophole to deliver a player to another team after the trade deadline."

In other words: If Thome wound up with the Phillies through the circumvention of the waiver process, would this become standard operating procedure for other veterans? Would they have language built into their contracts that would allow them to become free agents late in the season, in this manner, as part of their effort to win a championship?

"I don't know what the commissioner's office would say about it," said an NL GM. "But I know there would be a lot of complaints from other teams."

Said an AL GM: "There would be a lot of talk -- but I don't know whether [baseball officials] would actually have the grounds to step in and prevent it from happening."

Other questions raised by rival executives: Would the Twins, who have a reputation for being among the most above-board, rule-abiding teams in the majors, participate in that kind of thing, rather than simply keep Thome for the rest of the season? And would Thome -- deferential by nature -- even ask Minnesota to veer through the rules to make a Philadelphia reunion happen?

We'll see.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    He might fill the matt stairs role nicely. I still have warm memories of what he did to the do**gers :mrgreen:

check this out:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ma01.shtml

his uniform #s fill up almost the entire page :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    He might fill the matt stairs role nicely. I still have warm memories of what he did to the do**gers :mrgreen:

check this out:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ma01.shtml

his uniform #s fill up almost the entire page :lol:

ha. I will always love thome.

contreras officially done for year.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Mayberry's turning into a fucking beast
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Mayberry's turning into a fucking beast

beat it ibanez
    man, the mets are horrible. this reminds me of my high school games vs camden. those were always fun
    glad to see stutes in another blowout. so fucking stupid
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't think it hurts to pitch him just one inning though I probably would have brought in Lidge.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't think it hurts to pitch him just one inning though I probably would have brought in Lidge.

he hasn't pitched since saturday. it's fine.

agreed with mayberry----definitely beastin' it these last couple months :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

he hasn't pitched since saturday. it's fine.

agreed with mayberry----definitely beastin' it these last couple months :mrgreen:

THis is all part of the problem. He should be used in close games (like sunday)...not games like this.

the manager is a dip shit
    well leave it to fixer to find something to complain about in a 9-3 game :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    well leave it to fixer to find something to complain about in a 9-3 game :mrgreen:

been saying it all year. now he's throwing a 2nd inning. using their 3rd best RP in a mop up role...BRILLIANT!!!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    Hey everyone. Back from a meeting in Rochester. I missed the earthquake. Goddammit. :twisted:

This Mets series is pretty good so far. Going to see Kendrick tomorrow. Should score plenty off Pelfrey. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    The Fixer wrote:

been saying it all year. now he's throwing a 2nd inning. using their 3rd best RP in a mop up role...BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Yea why not Schwimmer?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Well to play devil's advocate, you do need to get the guy some work. I would have only had him in for the 8th and gone with Madson in the 9th though

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer wrote:

Well to play devil's advocate, you do need to get the guy some work. I would have only had him in for the 8th and gone with Madson in the 9th though

I would have used one of the turds out there, like schwimmer or herndon.

Look at stutes monthly stat breakdown. they way they have used him is criminal and his stats are a reflection of that.

Another win, but the bullpen mismanagement is mind boggling. Stutes is a rookie, they should be grooming him for a late inning role in the playoffs, not giving him mop up duty vs the mets. I don't get it
    well the vanimal turned in another solid performance tonight...
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.