***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And what does all of this tell you? Nada. Wait and see fellas, am sure you are getting anxious but you guys obviously have the best shot at it.

Yea I think that was the whole point. So many good teams have disappointed in this city. But it happens everywhere - even some great Yankees teams came up short in the end.

I'm worried Charlie will screw it up. I think he really got outfoxed by Bochy last year. What teams have a big strategic manager advantage over the Phillies? I say strategic because I think Charlie does a great job with day-to-day motivation and team chemistry, which is probably 80% of a baseball manager's job. Of course a lot of these other guys are exactly geniuses either.

I'd say the Giants (obviously), maybe the Tigers (we wanted Leyland, right?) & Brewers (who's their mgr?). I really don't know much about Kirk Gibson as a strategy guy. He seems to manage their bullpen well.

I think Charlie stacks up fine strategically against the managers of the Braves (he's awful), Yankees (the binder), Red Sox (he'll prob start Darnell McDonald) & Rangers (the thoroughly confused Ron Washington).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And what does all of this tell you? Nada. Wait and see fellas, am sure you are getting anxious but you guys obviously have the best shot at it.

Yea I think that was the whole point. So many good teams have disappointed in this city. But it happens everywhere - even some great Yankees teams came up short in the end.

I'm worried Charlie will screw it up. I think he really got outfoxed by Bochy last year. What teams have a big strategic manager advantage over the Phillies? I say strategic because I think Charlie does a great job with day-to-day motivation and team chemistry, which is probably 80% of a baseball manager's job. Of course a lot of these other guys are exactly geniuses either.

I'd say the Giants (obviously), maybe the Tigers (we wanted Leyland, right?) & Brewers (who's their mgr?). I really don't know much about Kirk Gibson as a strategy guy. He seems to manage their bullpen well.

I think Charlie stacks up fine strategically against the managers of the Braves (he's awful), Yankees (the binder), Red Sox (he'll prob start Darnell McDonald) & Rangers (the thoroughly confused Ron Washington).

2003 Yankees come to mind.

Yeah, you think? I am not of the thought that managers have THAT much of a role in a series so long as they manage their bullpen well. Maybe they have more in the NL but unless they make a terrible pitching decision, I don't feel like they can win or lose a series for you. You could be right though.

Agreed on your brief analysis of each though. I like Girardi a whole lot more than the majority of Yankees fans. I haven't noticed the binders as much this year, I could just be so used to it that I don't notice though.

Edit: And from your description I feel like Manuel sounds like a poor mans Torre. He was great at the motivation and day to day stuff but his best work as a manager and their most agressive years strategically I feel like were while Zimmer was there.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    Since Fixer likes to talk about the Phillies so so records against good teams, I thought everyone would find this interesting:
    Thanks to a pitching staff that is even better than expected -- and expectations were high -- the Philadelphia Phillies are in the midst of an all-time great season. The Phils are currently on pace for 105 wins, which would tie them for ninth on the National League single-season wins list.

With a 7 1/2-game lead in the NL East, the Phillies are on cruise control and can start looking ahead to the playoffs. While the Phils' offense is merely average (seventh in the NL in runs), their starting pitching, led by Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels, makes them clear favorites to reach the World Series.

However, when examining the Phils' 2011 resume, there is one aspect of their performance that raises questions about their postseason chances. To succeed in October, it would stand to reason that you need to be able to beat the best. However, much of the Phillies' gaudy record is based upon the fact that they have beaten up on the worst teams.

According to Baseball-Reference.com, the Phillies are 36-11 against teams with a winning percentage below .470. That .766 winning percentage against such clubs is by far the best in baseball. The New York Yankees, at 26-10 (.722), have the next best mark against sub.-470 teams. (I chose .470 as the cutoff because that is the winning percentage of teams that finish the season 10 games under .500.) In fact, if that .766 winning percentage holds, it would be the fourth-best mark against sub-.470 teams of the wild card era, just ahead of the 2001 Seattle Mariners, who set the record for regular season wins before flaming out in the ALCS.

But when playing teams on pace to finish at least 10 games over .500 (.530 winning percentage), the Phillies are just 16-16. That's the sixth-best record in baseball against such clubs, and worse than their NL East rivals the Atlanta Braves. Who fares the best against .530-plus teams? That would be the Boston Red Sox, who are 24-15.

This seems like bad news for the Phillies, because one would think a potential World Series champ would have more success against the league's best. To see if there is any truth to that hypothesis, I went back to see how the last 10 World Series champs fared against the sub-.470 and .530-plus clubs. In theory, the World Series champs should consistently perform well against the good teams, and that would be an indicator of postseason success.

Past 10 World Series Champions
    YEAR TEAM Win pct against sub-.470 teams Win pct against .530-plus teams
    2010 Giants .714 .426
    2009 Yankees .691 .566
    2008 Phillies .686 .482
    2007 Red Sox .676 .517
    2006 Cardinals .557 .440
    2005 White Sox .742 .510
    2004 Red Sox .698 .567
    2003 Marlins .638 .484
    2002 Angels .743 .451
    2001 D-backs .655 .494

As it turns out, that's not really the case at all. The World Series champs, with the exception of the 2006 Cardinals, have all beat the snot out of the sub-.470 clubs, and even the Cards fared pretty well. The champs' performance against the .530-plus clubs, however, has varied widely. Just last year, the Giants had the best record in baseball against the sub-.470 teams (35-14), but the 15th-best mark (20-27) versus the .530-plus.

It's not surprising that the World Series champs would beat up on the bad teams. The ability to do so consistently, in fact, is typically the sign of a strong team. However, you would expect World Series champs to fare well against good squads during the regular season, and that hasn't happened this century.

In fact, beating up on the weaklings seems to be a better indicator of postseason success. To wit: the 1998 New York Yankees, the team many consider the best in recent history, went 52-12 against sub-.470 teams, which is the best mark of the wild card era.

If recent history is any guide, the Phils' remarkable record against poor squads says more about their title chances than their pedestrian record against good teams. So if you want nit-pick something regarding their World Series hopes, you'll have to look elsewhere.

been trying to say this all year...fallen on deaf ears though:

Past 10 World Series Champions
    YEAR TEAM Win pct against sub-.470 teams Win pct against .530-plus teams
    2010 Giants .714 .426
    2009 Yankees .691 .566
    2008 Phillies .686 .482
    2007 Red Sox .676 .517
    2006 Cardinals .557 .440
    2005 White Sox .742 .510
    2004 Red Sox .698 .567
    2003 Marlins .638 .484
    2002 Angels .743 .451
    2001 D-backs .655 .494
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    As Cliffy said, we are anxious. Some of us are traumatized by seeing the Flyers go from one of the two best teams in the NHL in February (the hockey equivalent of August) to getting destroyed by Boston in the 2nd round this past year. These seasons are really long.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    As Cliffy said, we are anxious. Some of us are traumatized by seeing the Flyers go from one of the two best teams in the NHL in February (the hockey equivalent of August) to getting destroyed by Boston in the 2nd round this past year. These seasons are really long.

It's a culmination of 34 years of losing. 2008 was great, but for me that was an aberration. I didn't know what to do with myself. I always expect the worst and hope for the best with the philly teams...it's tough not to

Cautious optimism

EDIT: and for the record nothing compares to the 2000 flyers. that was by far the worst thing I have witnessed as a philly sports fan

i made a deal with myself back in the spring to just enjoy every minute of this season because it's something we may never see again...at this point though, i'm kinda hoping we can hit the fast forward button about 6 weeks. ;)

'08 really changed the way i look at these teams of ours. i'm not as scared/worried/fretful about the season ending like so many have in the past as i was before.

confidence levels are high. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    fantastic article about the dipshit manager's pitching staff management and 9th inning strategy (or lackthereof). Agree with what was said earlier about manuel's ability to manage the clubhouse, but strategically he is among the worst managers in baseball IMO. I have always felt like the phils win more in spite of him than because of him.

http://crashburnalley.com/2011/08/17/mo ... enanigans/
    i think dodger fans felt the same way about lasorda back in the day...
    www.myspace.com

i made a deal with myself back in the spring to just enjoy every minute of this season because it's something we may never see again...at this point though, i'm kinda hoping we can hit the fast forward button about 6 weeks. ;)

'08 really changed the way i look at these teams of ours. i'm not as scared/worried/fretful about the season ending like so many have in the past as i was before.

not everyone is as sanguine as the jeagler.
    The Fixer wrote:

just remembered you aren't a flyers fan. that actually helps explain why you tend to be more optimistic than the rest of us.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

just remembered you aren't a flyers fan. that actually helps explain why you tend to be more optimistic than the rest of us.

not a hockey guy :wave: :lol:

plenty of misery to go round in this town, that's for damn sure.....don't think i'm alone with my feelings from '08 though. and going through the best season, up to this point, in the team's 128 year history doesn't hurt the optimism either. ;)
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

plenty of misery to go round in this town, that's for damn sure.....don't think i'm alone with my feelings from '08 though. going through the best season in the team's 128 year history doesn't hurt with the optimism either. ;)

I think the flyers have given me more heartbreak in my lifetime than the other 3 teams combined.

It's only the best season in their history if they win it all. Otherwise it's just another disappointment
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

plenty of misery to go round in this town, that's for damn sure.....don't think i'm alone with my feelings from '08 though. going through the best season in the team's 128 year history doesn't hurt with the optimism either. ;)

I think the flyers have given me more heartbreak in my lifetime than the other 3 teams combined.

It's only the best season in their history if they win it all. Otherwise it's just another disappointment

wow that's a lot of heartbreak. :lol:

i edited it after you started typing yours to say "up to this point."

are you enjoying this season yet????? :lol:
    www.myspace.com

Of course I'm glad that they are winning, but I'm probably not enjoying it as much as I should be. After the way last year ended...combined with them getting lee and pence...anything short of a WS title is going to be a letdown.

They had best record in MLB last year too. That doesn't mean anything to me.

I guess it comes down to the fact that being the favorite to win it all kinda sucks. Cool to have a loaded squad to root for, but the high expectations kinda sets us up for disappointment...as anything less than a title means this team came up short (like last year)
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

It's a culmination of 34 years of losing. 2008 was great, but for me that was an aberration. I didn't know what to do with myself. I always expect the worst and hope for the best with the philly teams...it's tough not to

Cautious optimism

EDIT: and for the record nothing compares to the 2000 flyers. that was by far the worst thing I have witnessed as a philly sports fan

Flyers and Eagles are the most disappointing for me

For the most part the Phillies have just sucked my whole life :lol:

TB-Eagles game was phuckin brutal
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

Of course I'm glad that they are winning, but I'm probably not enjoying it as much as I should be. After the way last year ended...combined with them getting lee and pence...anything short of a WS title is going to be a letdown.

They had best record in MLB last year too. That doesn't mean anything to me.

I guess it comes down to the fact that being the favorite to win it all kinda sucks. Cool to have a loaded squad to root for, but the high expectations kinda sets us up for disappointment...as anything less than a title means this team came up short (like last year)

i think you just have to embrace the favorite role dude.

being scared of a bad ending only ruins the ride for you. if it ends bad, deal with that shit then.

this summer has been phenomenal.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Cautious optimism

Flyers and Eagles are the most disappointing for me

For the most part the Phillies have just sucked my whole life :lol:

TB-Eagles game was phuckin brutal

the most somber i have ever heard a stadium. you could hear a pin drop walking out of that place....why'd you have to bring that up??? :x :x
    www.myspace.com
    the most somber i have ever heard a stadium. you could hear a pin drop walking out of that place....why'd you have to bring that up??? :x :x

:(

Still hurts man...still hurts

temps below 30 whatever degree the bucs had never won in...
    epic tail gate...fucking beautifull....
    stealth bomber flying over head...crowd beyond psyched....
    last game at vet....
    birds recreating the wilbert montgomery run from 1980 before game...
    b mitch's big return to start...
    duce's 20 yd td run = feeling of invincibility / destiny on our side..............

........all followed by complete and utter ineptitude. :cry:
    www.myspace.com

that did suck. that would probably be 2nd on my list.

1 - patrick elias culminating a weeklong kick to the balls
    2 - TB
    3 - juan uribe
    4 - SCF game 6...jeff carter failing to bury a half open net...then leighton (still can't believe he was in net in the finals!) failing to hug the post
    5 - TB part 2...game 7 (the year primeau was out of his mind)

I need a drink

last game at vet....
    duce's 20 yd td run = feeling of invincibility / destiny on our side..............

I still thought they were gonna win until rhonde barber happened. Mega AIDS

last game at vet....

Horrible

I was going crazy at home after the first drive

The rest is a blur....

The Fixer wrote:

2 - TB
    3 - juan uribe
    4 - SCF game 6...jeff carter failing to bury a half open net...then leighton (still can't believe he was in net in the finals!) failing to hug the post

I need a drink

joe carter???????
    www.myspace.com
    last game at vet....

Horrible

I was going crazy at home after the first drive

The rest is a blur....

let's just stop talking about this. birds are gonna make up for it this year. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

2 - TB
    3 - juan uribe

I need a drink

Add Claude Lemeiux's slapper game 5 past Hextall

:cry:

The Fixer wrote:

2 - TB
    3 - juan uribe

I need a drink

joe carter???????

christ, how can I forget that? I think I subconsciously erased that from my memory.
    let's just stop talking about this. birds are gonna make up for it this year. :mrgreen:

I hope so

I'm wearing a cup all year just in case

:lol:

ah, I hated that cocksucker. 1995 ECF. I remember exactly where I was when that happened. I was in disbelief. I still can't believe that went in. Wasn't that game 5? That series was crazy. Flyers lost first two at home, won next two on road. Pretty sure game 5 was the lemeiux goal.

fuckin flyers
    The Fixer wrote:

ah, I hated that cocksucker. 1995 ECF. I remember exactly where I was when that happened. I was in disbelief. I still can't believe that went in. Wasn't that game 5? That series was crazy. Flyers lost first two at home, won next two on road. Pretty sure game 5 was the lemeiux goal.

fuckin flyers

Yes it was

That was brutal..of all cock suckers to score

Low to the glove side..Love Hextall but never forget

:x

nice start. they should pound this guy. he is awful
This discussion has been closed.