***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    ...so we got to the game a little late yesterday and for about a half inning were amazed at how much weight it looked like the r6 had lost........woops, that's john mayberry

multiple beers on ride down + 103 degree heat + and no food = can cloud some things in your head :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    the only thing worse than phil sheridan's garbage piece today are the idiotic responses beneath it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    the only thing worse than phil sheridan's garbage piece today are the idiotic responses beneath it.

Didn't even bother to read it. He's a hack. What was it - something about expectations for a big deadline deal? Like signing Cliff Lee in the offseason wasn't enough. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    The Fixer wrote:
    also, I would love to see them sell high on worley. he's pitched well, but I don't think he can keep this up. his stuff isn't anything special

ok so this was on last night for 2 hours on channel 17 :lol: i saw a few mis. of it. :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7eyzcCR3I
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Didn't even bother to read it. He's a hack. What was it - something about expectations for a big deadline deal? Like signing Cliff Lee in the offseason wasn't enough. :roll:

yeah. he's captain obvious...

not sure why ibanez didn't throw to 2nd there...
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    From Twitter High Cheese :

Brody Colvin, one of Phils three young pitching prospects, pulled after 3 strong innings at Clearwater tonite. No immediate word on reason.

sup bitches?

phone took a shit on me today during an important work call (never buy a droid kids)...and now I read my boy colvin might get moved.

excuse me while I get another beer. yep, I'm drunk

is it too late for RAJ to trade for a 1B?
    My Droid reboots itself all the time

And sends phantom texts

mine died completely. was 2 weeks over a year old so the one year warranty just expired. the fixer was losing his shit on friday afternoon...caused me to drink 831 beers on Friday night.

bought the iphone. this thing is kinda intimidating. technology is not my strong suit.

now I have to re-enter the 200+ contacts I had in my phone by hand. fucking droid
    for all my bitching and moaning I gotta admit that what this team has done this year is impressive. I still don't think they are that good, but they just keep winning games.

They have a lot of holes they need to fill if they're gonna reach their goal (RH bat or two, bullpen help, bench guy to replace valdez, first baseman :D ). Hopefully amaro can work his magic this week.

The 1 seed in the NL hasn't been to the World Series since the braves in 1995. They need to get better if they are going to buck that trend and then win the WS.

Should be a fun week. Love the day game tomorrow
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    for all my bitching and moaning I gotta admit that what this team has done this year is impressive. I still don't think they are that good, but they just keep winning games.

They have a lot of holes they need to fill if they're gonna reach their goal (RH bat or two, bullpen help, bench guy to replace valdez, first baseman :D ). Hopefully amaro can work his magic this week.

The 1 seed in the NL hasn't been to the World Series since the braves in 1995. They need to get better if they are going to buck that trend and then win the WS.

:clap: :thumbup:
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

64 wins in the first 100 is pretty awesome. And it seems like this team is just rounding into shape for their typical 2nd half steamroll. 8-)

The offense is sketchy at times but I think it's better than the Braves and Giants. The 1B's oppo field hits today were encouraging. If Lidge is useful in the bullpen then those guys stack up well.

The 2004 Cardinals won 105 games and got swept by the Red Sox in the Series. I think you meant "won it" rather than "been to."
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Must be a drunk post. :lol: :P

Love this. He was considered one of the highest ceiling/toughest sign of their draft picks. This is great news. He plays SS. Had a strong committment to U of Georgia

the Phillies have come to terms with 11th round pick Tyler Greene. Terms were not disclosed, but I’m going to guess it was somewhere between $500K and $1M. Per MLB’s slot guidelines, teams aren’t to give players taken after the 5th round more than $150K, and the Phillies will certainly smash through this number.

This was the scouting report on Greene prior to the draft from BA

He’s impressive physically and shows well in workouts and showcases with his raw tools. Greene has improved his speed to well above-average over the last year by getting stronger and more explosive. He has a fast-twitch body and athletic ability, and looks the part at shortstop. He’s not natural at short, doesn’t always get good hops and doesn’t have the most accurate arm, short-circuiting his plus arm strength. Offensively, he was erratic on the showcase circuit and again this spring, where he was hitting around .380 in mid May with just five home runs. Greene also could move up boards with a strong workout.

This was what Keith Law said about him after the Phillies drafted him

Tyler Greene (11) is their best tough-sign pick and would be farther over slot than I can remember them going in any recent draft.

Update —> BA confirms the signing and tabs the bonus at $375,000. Much lower than I think anyone anticipated. Incredible work by the Phillies.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Love this. He was considered one of the highest ceiling/toughest sign of their draft picks. This is great news. He plays SS. Had a strong committment to U of Georgia

the Phillies have come to terms with 11th round pick Tyler Greene. Terms were not disclosed, but I’m going to guess it was somewhere between $500K and $1M. Per MLB’s slot guidelines, teams aren’t to give players taken after the 5th round more than $150K, and the Phillies will certainly smash through this number.

This was the scouting report on Greene prior to the draft from BA

He’s impressive physically and shows well in workouts and showcases with his raw tools. Greene has improved his speed to well above-average over the last year by getting stronger and more explosive. He has a fast-twitch body and athletic ability, and looks the part at shortstop. He’s not natural at short, doesn’t always get good hops and doesn’t have the most accurate arm, short-circuiting his plus arm strength. Offensively, he was erratic on the showcase circuit and again this spring, where he was hitting around .380 in mid May with just five home runs. Greene also could move up boards with a strong workout.

This was what Keith Law said about him after the Phillies drafted him

Tyler Greene (11) is their best tough-sign pick and would be farther over slot than I can remember them going in any recent draft.

Update —> BA confirms the signing and tabs the bonus at $375,000. Much lower than I think anyone anticipated. Incredible work by the Phillies.
    His name alone makes me not like him already.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

64 wins in the first 100 is pretty awesome. And it seems like this team is just rounding into shape for their typical 2nd half steamroll. 8-)

The offense is sketchy at times but I think it's better than the Braves and Giants. The 1B's oppo field hits today were encouraging. If Lidge is useful in the bullpen then those guys stack up well.

The 2004 Cardinals won 105 games and got swept by the Red Sox in the Series. I think you meant "won it" rather than "been to."

Honestly I don't think the regular season means much. We all knew they were gonna win the division and go to the playoffs. My concerns are that they are built/prepared for another WS run (I'm still not convinced they are).

thanks for the correction on the NL thing. The central needs to be liquidated. what a joke of a division
    The Fixer wrote:

Must be a drunk post. :lol: :P

haha, negative. those posts came on friday night. I rarely drink on sundays. takes me too long to recover in my old age
    Funny how exciting it was just to make the playoffs in 2007. Now it's just waiting for them to start, like hockey season. Amazing.

I still say it's worth enjoying the ride, especially with a team that's 37-15 at home.

Sunday has always been my favorite drinking day. The wife and I, when she isn't prego, typically drink a nice Sunday Wine.

Funny how exciting it was just to make the playoffs in 2007. Now it's just waiting for them to start, like hockey season. Amazing.

I still say it's worth enjoying the ride, especially with a team that's 37-15 at home.

Sunday has always been my favorite drinking day. The wife and I, when she isn't prego, typically drink a nice Sunday Wine.

Hockey and Football season since reid took over.

In 2007 kendrick started game 2 of the NLDS...and Mesa was still around. Amazing they even made the playoffs. Really tells you how bad the mets choked.

I think the phils are gonna get pence
    hard to believe it was just a couple weeks ago the phils went into the braves series with the chance of them being in 2nd come the end of the weekend......now it's a 6 game lead :shock:

pence---make it happen rube.
    www.myspace.com
    Jen Royle of MASN reports that the Phillies and Rays are discussing a deal involving B.J. Upton.
    The Giants have also considered adding Upton, who was made expendable when the Rays promoted outfielder Desmond Jennings from Triple-A Durham last week. Upton, 26, has a weak .229/.310/.395 batting line this year but has still tallied 15 home runs and 52 RBI in 95 games. He's under contract through the 2012 season.

Do it!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Jen Royle of MASN reports that the Phillies and Rays are discussing a deal involving B.J. Upton.
    The Giants have also considered adding Upton, who was made expendable when the Rays promoted outfielder Desmond Jennings from Triple-A Durham last week. Upton, 26, has a weak .229/.310/.395 batting line this year but has still tallied 15 home runs and 52 RBI in 95 games. He's under contract through the 2012 season.

Do it!!!!!!!

This is probably the most interesting player at the deadline. Have the Rays ever made a bad trade under Freidman? Ever?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Do it!!!!!!!

This is probably the most interesting player at the deadline. Have the Rays ever made a bad trade under Freidman? Ever?

Amaro vs Freidman would be the ultimate saber vs non-saber matchup.

Upton is such an enigma. He'd either become one of my favorites or one of my most hated ever.

All depends what they'd have to give up for him. I'd much rather have pence if given the choice
    Confirmed: Pence won't be traded this season

SI.com's Jon Heyman has confirmed that the Astros will not trade Hunter Pence at this year's deadline.
    The Astros were known to be shopping the 28-year-old outfielder at one point, and even drew interest from the Braves and Pirates, but the Houston front office apparently didn't find any suitable offers. Pence is batting .308/.355/.472 with 11 home runs and 62 RBI in 95 games this season. He's earning $6.9 million.

Looks like he's staying put.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Carlos Quentin is available and Chi is scouting out are farm system!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    Confirmed: Pence won't be traded this season

SI.com's Jon Heyman has confirmed that the Astros will not trade Hunter Pence at this year's deadline.
    The Astros were known to be shopping the 28-year-old outfielder at one point, and even drew interest from the Braves and Pirates, but the Houston front office apparently didn't find any suitable offers. Pence is batting .308/.355/.472 with 11 home runs and 62 RBI in 95 games this season. He's earning $6.9 million.

Looks like he's staying put.

this doesn't mean anything. especially coming from heyman
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Do it!!!!!!!

Amaro vs Freidman would be the ultimate saber vs non-saber matchup.

Upton is such an enigma. He'd either become one of my favorites or one of my most hated ever.

All depends what they'd have to give up for him. I'd much rather have pence if given the choice

haha, yeah. It would. That's pretty funny.

Yeah, man. He's gotta be frustrating to watch on a regluar basis. His OBP is hard to look at.
    stark writes some terrible columns, but he has good phils connections. his rumors usually have legs. I really hope they keep colvin

•The Phillies are steering teams to their High-A Clearwater club, as they don't want to trade big leaguers and not to add much more than a million bucks in payroll. Jonathan Singleton, Brody Colvin, Trevor May, Sebastian Valle, and Jiwan James are names to watch there assuming Jarred Cosart is untouchable. Stark says the Phillies have cooled on Beltran and Hunter Pence is a long shot, so the focus is now the back end of the bullpen. Heath Bell is the top target, with Brandon League also on the radar.
    Man howard is fucking slow

It's about to pour up here in havertown. I'll be surprised if there aren't rain delays today
    gotta catch that ball domonic. let's hope we don't have to worry about his defense in playoff games
    all this because brown can't catch the ball
    Day time baseball on a Monday? Looks like I have something to listen to for the afternoon.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Day time baseball on a Monday? Looks like I have something to listen to for the afternoon.

yeah, weird that you see the last game of a 4 game series on a monday.

Franzke is great on the radio
This discussion has been closed.