***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Here you go Jeags...dude is only going into his SR year. that's pretty impressive.

He touched 90 and 91 a few times but his fastball was straight with very little movement and sat 87-88 most of the night. The ball came out of his hand easy too. He seemed to lack a bulldog mentality and on multiple occasions started the bottom of the lineup with breaking balls - very passive for a kid billed to be potentially taken in the top 3 rounds next year or a kid having his pick of top 25 schools. I would have liked to see him bully hitters on the inner half and pound the hands. His curveball was average and most of the lineup had no problems seeing it. The same can be said with the fastball as his delivery didnt hide the ball at all. He could definitely use more of his lower half in his delivery - getting more drive from his power position. He wasn't difficult to hit against and did not make an at bat against him an unpleasant experience. Hitters were up on the plate and challenged him. He was solid the first time through the lineup, but the 2nd and 3rd times through, Boyertown hitters put their nose to the baseball. He had a 3-0 lead through 5th. Boyertown started barrelling hard outs in the 3rd inning and had runners on in each inning. They broke through in the 6th plating 2 and hung a 5 spot on him in the 7th. He gave up 3 hard hits, walked a batter to load the bases, then hit 2 guys with the bases loaded. A Clemson rep walked out in the 5th. There were guns on him all night.

With all that being said. He is only going to be a senior and is 6-6. He has been big for a while, so I am not sure how much more he'll grow. I am sure the scouts are drooling over the frame. He is tall and wide...not fat, but kind of soft in the middle - I was able to see this better before the game when he was just in a t-shirt but this will improve under better supervision and conditioning at the professional/collegiate level. I can see why the hype surrounds this kid. He was able to repeat his delivery, is athletic, and his breaking ball/fastball shared the same arm slot. And, most importantly, I give him credit for how he carried himself last night. Even when he started to get hit, he didn't turtle up and his head was up. He'll definitely get better. As he walked off the field after being yanked in the 7th, he looked up to where all the scouts were - probably to eyeball who was there. I felt bad for him. I wouldn't know, but I am sure it's a ton of pressure having every move scrutinized heading into your senior year.

After the game, I talked to a Boyertown coach and he leaned into me and said 92+ my ass, and I told him about the guns reading 87-88 most of the night. He said his kids told him it was straight too. I talked to some of the Boyertown players as well and I asked if that was the hardest they have seen all year, and a few said they weren't sure, but they were pretty sure they had seen that this season.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    It must have been really bad heat wise because Halladay is probably the best conditioned Phillie of all. The man is a work horse and has a very regimented work out. He's in fantastic shape.

For him to be affected by the heat like that is scary.

there was a haze inside the ball park last night. it was disgusting. looks like it is going to be just as bad tonight.

i felt bad for the players having to wear pants vs. shorts or whatever.

thankfully the phils didn't have some up and coming assistant to the traveling secretary forcing them to wear cotton uniforms last night..... :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: that's awesome!

Seriously though, that is dangerous - that level of heat, someone could become seriously ill out there.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If someone trades for Pence, you are buying really really high. Good player but not sure you can expect this years production to continue. Maybe you can, but it's a big gamble.

he's signed thru 2012 too, which makes him more appealing IMO

I'd trade brown for him in a heartbeat

I probably would too, kidn of like the granderson trade. Different players but you hope to get the production out of Brown that you will Pence.

I think it comes down to is 1.5 years of Pence more valuable than 4.5 of Brown. That makes me think about it a little.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If someone trades for Pence, you are buying really really high. Good player but not sure you can expect this years production to continue. Maybe you can, but it's a big gamble.

Exactly. Maybe Pence for Brown or Cosart straight up, but not both. And even that is a stretch. For Houston to trade Pence to Philly it needs to be for a steal because Houston's new owner I don't think has any interest in seeing the Astros continue to be the AAAA Phillies for Ed Wade. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Wade isn't even back next year.

Ed Wade is a goner.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he's signed thru 2012 too, which makes him more appealing IMO

I'd trade brown for him in a heartbeat

I probably would too, kidn of like the granderson trade. Different players but you hope to get the production out of Brown that you will Pence.

I think it comes down to is 1.5 years of Pence more valuable than 4.5 of Brown. That makes me think about it a little.

Guess I'd like to see this team keep winning for a few more years. The problem with going all-in for this year is that random shit happens, and then you're screwed for next year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,983
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Exactly. Maybe Pence for Brown or Cosart straight up, but not both. And even that is a stretch. For Houston to trade Pence to Philly it needs to be for a steal because Houston's new owner I don't think has any interest in seeing the Astros continue to be the AAAA Phillies for Ed Wade. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Wade isn't even back next year.

Ed Wade is a goner.

Toast.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Seth Everett says he dosen't think we'd have to give up a top 5 prospect to get Beltran. I'd probably do it if that's the case.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

this is a great way to look at it. I think you have to factor in what the phils goal is for 2011 though. I'd make that trade if they can make the money work
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    The Fixer wrote:
    Here you go Jeags...dude is only going into his SR year. that's pretty impressive.

He touched 90 and 91 a few times but his fastball was straight with very little movement and sat 87-88 most of the night. The ball came out of his hand easy too. He seemed to lack a bulldog mentality and on multiple occasions started the bottom of the lineup with breaking balls - very passive for a kid billed to be potentially taken in the top 3 rounds next year or a kid having his pick of top 25 schools. I would have liked to see him bully hitters on the inner half and pound the hands. His curveball was average and most of the lineup had no problems seeing it. The same can be said with the fastball as his delivery didnt hide the ball at all. He could definitely use more of his lower half in his delivery - getting more drive from his power position. He wasn't difficult to hit against and did not make an at bat against him an unpleasant experience. Hitters were up on the plate and challenged him. He was solid the first time through the lineup, but the 2nd and 3rd times through, Boyertown hitters put their nose to the baseball. He had a 3-0 lead through 5th. Boyertown started barrelling hard outs in the 3rd inning and had runners on in each inning. They broke through in the 6th plating 2 and hung a 5 spot on him in the 7th. He gave up 3 hard hits, walked a batter to load the bases, then hit 2 guys with the bases loaded. A Clemson rep walked out in the 5th. There were guns on him all night.

With all that being said. He is only going to be a senior and is 6-6. He has been big for a while, so I am not sure how much more he'll grow. I am sure the scouts are drooling over the frame. He is tall and wide...not fat, but kind of soft in the middle - I was able to see this better before the game when he was just in a t-shirt but this will improve under better supervision and conditioning at the professional/collegiate level. I can see why the hype surrounds this kid. He was able to repeat his delivery, is athletic, and his breaking ball/fastball shared the same arm slot. And, most importantly, I give him credit for how he carried himself last night. Even when he started to get hit, he didn't turtle up and his head was up. He'll definitely get better. As he walked off the field after being yanked in the 7th, he looked up to where all the scouts were - probably to eyeball who was there. I felt bad for him. I wouldn't know, but I am sure it's a ton of pressure having every move scrutinized heading into your senior year.

After the game, I talked to a Boyertown coach and he leaned into me and said 92+ my ass, and I told him about the guns reading 87-88 most of the night. He said his kids told him it was straight too. I talked to some of the Boyertown players as well and I asked if that was the hardest they have seen all year, and a few said they weren't sure, but they were pretty sure they had seen that this season.

jesus...does your friend write for espn insider? :lol:

my wife said her whole family was pissed at his coach for leaving him in as long as he did. her dad said he was around 140 pitches and his shoulder was hurting by the time he was taken out.

that's good stuff though. thanks man
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ed Wade is a goner.

Toast.

i think bud selig will have to conduct an investigation if ruben fleeces ed wade again :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Guess I'd like to see this team keep winning for a few more years. The problem with going all-in for this year is that random shit happens, and then you're screwed for next year.

nah, pence is signed thru 2012. might be an arb bump in salary, but he'd still be phils property.

go for it RAJ

jammin...RE: beltran...olney's blog today explained that beltran's contract has a clause where the team that lets him go to free agency after the year does not get draft pick compensation. meaning that if the phils trade for him and he goes to FA (which is a given) that they won't get draft picks that most Type A and B free agents bring back. This should decrease the price it would cost to get him via trade, but I don't see the mets doing the phils any favors unless they offer a big time prospect.

I'd love to have beltran, but I think the cost is going to be too steep for the phils. I think SF gets him
    besides dom brown, what will it take to get pence?

cosart and singleton?

will wade take this year's ja happ, vance worley, plus a top prospect?
    www.myspace.com

That is a good point. I know Pence is relatively cheap, but the Phillies are going to need good young cheap talent for a while. Every good team needs production from players like a Gardner or Ellsbury. I think the Phillies do more so than most with the contracts and age of their core. If you trade for Pence you are going to have to sign another outfielder after next season, after signing people this offseason, and that won't be cheap, not nearly as cheap as Brown at least.

Tough decisions.
    The Fixer wrote:
    jammin...RE: beltran...olney's blog today explained that beltran's contract has a clause where the team that lets him go to free agency after the year does not get draft pick compensation. meaning that if the phils trade for him and he goes to FA (which is a given) that they won't get draft picks that most Type A and B free agents bring back. This should decrease the price it would cost to get him via trade, but I don't see the mets doing the phils any favors unless they offer a big time prospect.

I'd love to have beltran, but I think the cost is going to be too steep for the phils. I think SF gets him

No one would get compensation because no one would be dumb enough to offer him arbitration. He would accept that shit in a second and be paid WAYYYY too much.
    The Fixer wrote:

jesus...does your friend write for espn insider? :lol:

my wife said her whole family was pissed at his coach for leaving him in as long as he did. her dad said he was around 140 pitches and his shoulder was hurting by the time he was taken out.

that's good stuff though. thanks man

that's fucked up if he's throwing 140 pitches in a legion game

my buddy is a baseball junkie. me and him usually go to the playoff games together. he played college ball at Textile with a couple of guys that made it to the majors. he just finished taking all types of tests so he can leave his accounting job and start teaching/coaching high school ball. he knows a lot about baseball. and he likes to get blind drunk, so we hang out a lot

sounds like your boy is going to have a good shot to get to the show if he stays healthy. I wish him the best

cosart and singleton?

brown and worley would be a good place to start. not sure if that's enough.

cosart and singleton are two of the top 50 prospects in baseball. I think that's too much.

who knows though? should be an interesting 2 weeks
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That is a good point. I know Pence is relatively cheap, but the Phillies are going to need good young cheap talent for a while. Every good team needs production from players like a Gardner or Ellsbury. I think the Phillies do more so than most with the contracts and age of their core. If you trade for Pence you are going to have to sign another outfielder after next season, after signing people this offseason, and that won't be cheap, not nearly as cheap as Brown at least.

Tough decisions.

You have to think that, after trading away all their major-league ready talent except D-Brown, they are kind of committed to him as this point. How can you build a guy up like that and then trade him for... all respected intended... Hunter Pence? Trading Kyle Drabek - at least you got Roy Halladay out of it, right?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

No one would get compensation because no one would be dumb enough to offer him arbitration. He would accept that shit in a second and be paid WAYYYY too much.

ya think? I think he would decline arb. He could get multiple years and a bigger deal than what he'd land in arbitration. some dumb team would overpay him in a 3-4 year deal and he'd end up getting hurt again.

just look at the OF trade market. AIDS everywhere
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ya think? I think he would decline arb. He could get multiple years and a bigger deal than what he'd land in arbitration. some dumb team would overpay him in a 3-4 year deal and he'd end up getting hurt again.

Dude, he would make $18+ million next year if he went to arbitration. I think he would take that. He may be able to get more years and money guaranteed, but not nearly that AAV. If he plays well, after $18 next year he can take a one or two year deal and make more than he would with whatever 3 year deal he would be offered this year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude, he would make $18+ million next year if he went to arbitration. I think he would take that. He may be able to get more years and money guaranteed, but not nearly that AAV. If he plays well, after $18 next year he can take a one or two year deal and make more than he would with whatever 3 year deal he would be offered this year.

gotta disagree on this one. I think he would get 3 years, 30-35 mill on the open market just based on his FA competition alone....probably even more than that
    The Fixer wrote:

cosart and singleton?

brown and worley would be a good place to start. not sure if that's enough.

cosart and singleton are two of the top 50 prospects in baseball. I think that's too much.

who knows though? should be an interesting 2 weeks

I would do Brown and a prospect not named cosart or singleton (I don't know much about them), if I were Houston. They aren't winning with Pence so you might as well get at least a player who was the number 1 prospect in the game. If he comes down to earth next year, who knows what you can get for him, certainly not someone with Browns potential.
    edited July 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

gotta disagree on this one. I think he would get 3 years, 30-35 mill on the open market just based on his FA competition alone....probably even more than that

I hear you but after making $18 plus next year all he would need is a 2 year/$12 mil or so deal to match that. If he can stay healthy he should be able to do that easily, especially as a DH.

Edit: And if a team offers him arb, it's a risk. If he takes it your stuck with a $18 million contract for a player that isn't worth $11
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    will be interesting to see if the phils trade singleton since he's blocked by the $125 million man. we know that contract isn't going anywhere any time soon
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I would do Brown and a prospect not named cosart or singleton (I don't know much about them), if I were Houston. They aren't winning with Pence so you might as well get at least a player who was the number 1 prospect in the game. If he comes down to earth next year, who knows what you can get for him, certainly not someone with Browns potential.

Well yeah, if I were the Astros I would definitely do it. If I were the Phillies, there's no way in hell I'd do it.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you but after making $18 plus next year all he would need is a 2 year/$12 mil or so deal to match that. If he can stay healthy he should be able to do that easily, especially as a DH.

yeah, good point. this one will be interesting for sure. $18+ in arbitration is crazy. now I hope the yanks trade for him :D
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, good point. this one will be interesting for sure. $18+ in arbitration is crazy. now I hope the yanks trade for him :D

haha, Yanks aren't interested as of today. That wouldn't make much sense, given their needs. I don't think they would be dumb enough to do that. I would rather bring up Montero.
    I love this shit fellas. The business side of baseball is the best. Kind of like trading baseball cards back in the day, just with a whole lot more on the line.
    The Fixer wrote:
    will be interesting to see if the phils trade singleton since he's blocked by the $125 million man. we know that contract isn't going anywhere any time soon

didn't they move him to the outfield this year?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

didn't they move him to the outfield this year?

I kind of think they gave up on that and moved him back to 1B.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I love this shit fellas. The business side of baseball is the best. Kind of like trading baseball cards back in the day, just with a whole lot more on the line.

Love my job, but if I could pick one job it would be a baseball GM
This discussion has been closed.