***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm talking off-season moves. Doesn't matter how much Boras pumps Madson up, he doesn't have the numbers(read: the overrated 'save' statistic) to garner as much money as either of them think he's worth. Madson will be a Phillie. Whether they pay Hamels this offseason or next, there's no way Cole isn't here. And for these two reasons is why Jimmy is first on the list, followed by Madson. The dearth of shortstops this offseason will make Reyes overpaid, subsequently putting Rollins in a sweet spot for a payoff. They should be able to afford all three, and they most likely will pay all three.

I agree about Madson but with Boras it only takes one team like Wash did with Werth for him to leave. The longer Hamels pitches this good the higher his salary goes,that's why i'd try and lock him up asap. 5-100 imo would get him signed now. Would u pay Jimmy what he thinks he's worth? Cause i sure wouldn't pay him over 13 a year at no longer then 3yrs. He said yesterday he won't be giving a home town discount and to me that's a sign he's leaving.

Like I said in my thinking above, I don't think 5/100 gets it done and especially not with what a much older Cliff Lee got and what CC got/is going to get. There is no incentive for him taking that deal.

Jayson Stark said he thought he'd do it cause he'll still get another big deal like Lee did when he's 32-33.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,389
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Like I said in my thinking above, I don't think 5/100 gets it done and especially not with what a much older Cliff Lee got and what CC got/is going to get. There is no incentive for him taking that deal.

Jayson Stark said he thought he'd do it cause he'll still get another big deal like Lee did when he's 32-33.

Lee was already a FA. Hamels has 1.5 years to go - plenty of time to blow out a ligament. That's why they need to do it NOW.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    edited July 2011

But no one knows if he will get a big deal when he is 33. What if he loses it, what if he blows out his arm, what if he needs back surgery. You take your "career" contract the first possible moment it is offered to you. You don't say, well, I will take $100 million now and hope I can get another $60 million over the next few years. What sense does that make? If you have the opportunity for a $150+ million contract, you take it.

Edit: And I am not looking at $100 million as a career contract for Cole Hamels.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Lee was already a FA. Hamels has 1.5 years to go - plenty of time to blow out a ligament. That's why they need to do it NOW.

I take the year risk for the bigger contract. Boston and the Yankees will both need pitching after next year.

Edit: And I agree that the Phillies have to keep him, I just think he is worth more than the numbers that have been thrown out there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I take the year risk for the bigger contract. Boston and the Yankees will both need pitching after next year.

Typical Yankees mindset. :roll:

I think 5/$110M gets it done, considering the risk in waiting for the end of next year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Typical Yankees mindset. :roll:

I think 5/$110M gets it done, considering the risk in waiting for the end of next year.

How is that a Yankees mindset? If the two biggest baseball markets in the league with the two highest payrolls in the game both need pitching and one of the best pitchers is a free agent, isn't it a foregone conclusion that he will make more money, regardless of who he ends up with?
    And my thing is less the AAV and more the years. I don't see 5 years getting it done. I could be wrong, but I think he will want more than that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How is that a Yankees mindset? If the two biggest baseball markets in the league with the two highest payrolls in the game both need pitching and one of the best pitchers is a free agent, isn't it a foregone conclusion that he will make more money, regardless of who he ends up with?

The mindset is that there's a great player somewhere and he will end up on my team at some point. It's ingrained in all Yankees fans. You're no different. Sorry buddy, them's the facts.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

The mindset is that there's a great player somewhere and he will end up on my team at some point. It's ingrained in all Yankees fans. You're no different. Sorry buddy, them's the facts.

My point is not that he is going to end up on the Yankees even though I would obviously love him to and more that those teams need pitching and can pay the most. It's kind of logical, no? Whether he ends up on the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox or Angels for that matter, when big market teams need pitching, you get paid more and at his age, I would be looking for a CC type contract and not worry about getting hurt next season.

And yeah, I do think that if the Yankees want someone and they are available, 9 times out of 10 they will get them, obviously there are exceptions (See: Cliff Lee) but that is fairly rare. It's not because I think my team is so great, which I do, but it is because of how much money they have.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,581
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

My point is not that he is going to end up on the Yankees even though I would obviously love him to and more that those teams need pitching and can pay the most. It's kind of logical, no? Whether he ends up on the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox or Angels for that matter, when big market teams need pitching, you get paid more and at his age, I would be looking for a CC type contract and not worry about getting hurt next season.

And yeah, I do think that if the Yankees want someone and they are available, 9 times out of 10 they will get them, obviously there are exceptions (See: Cliff Lee) but that is fairly rare. It's not because I think my team is so great, which I do, but it is because of how much money they have.

cliff-lee.jpg
    www.myspace.com
    Thats what I wrote, numbnut. :lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,581
    :thumbup:

i love that picture. in my mind it's him laughing at you and neilly and the boys :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

i love that picture. in my mind it's him laughing at you and neilly and the boys :mrgreen:

No one can laugh just yet.

I would have a pretty sweet smile on my face after signing up for $123M. ;)

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited July 2011
    Stutes/Bastardo/Bell/Madson is a sick lock-down bullpen. You really don't need much offense with that pitching staff.
    Bells making 7.5 this year i'd figure he's owed around 3.5 more this year. And he's a free agent if you get Bell i'd hope it's not for just this season. Meaning what to u do then sign him or Madson? Do you go with who ever's cheaper?

be careful. some people here get upset when you discuss contracts. as if they're not important
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Yeah, I'm talking off-season moves. Doesn't matter how much Boras pumps Madson up, he doesn't have the numbers(read: the overrated 'save' statistic) to garner as much money as either of them think he's worth. Madson will be a Phillie. Whether they pay Hamels this offseason or next, there's no way Cole isn't here. And for these two reasons is why Jimmy is first on the list, followed by Madson. The dearth of shortstops this offseason will make Reyes overpaid, subsequently putting Rollins in a sweet spot for a payoff. They should be able to afford all three, and they most likely will pay all three.

Need a leftfielder too.

I think madson is outta here. don't forget that his wife hates philly like Mrs Lee hates NYC

I agree about Madson but with Boras it only takes one team like Wash did with Werth for him to leave. The longer Hamels pitches this good the higher his salary goes,that's why i'd try and lock him up asap. 5-100 imo would get him signed now. Would u pay Jimmy what he thinks he's worth? Cause i sure wouldn't pay him over 13 a year at no longer then 3yrs. He said yesterday he won't be giving a home town discount and to me that's a sign he's leaving.

apparently rollins is seeking a 5 year deal. I'd give him 3 years, something like 35 mill. No way I'd go five years on him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

hopefully CC opts out after the year and costs the yanks 30 mill a year going forward :D
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

But no one knows if he will get a big deal when he is 33. What if he loses it, what if he blows out his arm, what if he needs back surgery. You take your "career" contract the first possible moment it is offered to you. You don't say, well, I will take $100 million now and hope I can get another $60 million over the next few years. What sense does that make? If you have the opportunity for a $150+ million contract, you take it.

Edit: And I am not looking at $100 million as a career contract for Cole Hamels.

Yes a deal at 33 isn't a certain just as being healthy isn't until he would become a free agent. If he loses it or blows out his arm before then the poor guy would have only made say 40mill so far plus the 100mill for the new deal. It makes alot of sense because Hamels has had a past of not staying healthy. He hasn't been injury prone but he's also a petite guy in general. Take the 100 win a couple more titles then sign another 2-4 yr deal if and when that time comes.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

apparently rollins is seeking a 5 year deal. I'd give him 3 years, something like 35 mill. No way I'd go five years on him.

i heard he wants a 5yr deal between 15-17 which is nuts imo. I actually think 13mill a year for 3yrs would be a bad deal. But like he said the SS list blows this year and Reyes and Rollins will hit Hockey free agency type over spending contracts(Ville Leino)
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes a deal at 33 isn't a certain just as being healthy isn't until he would become a free agent. If he loses it or blows out his arm before then the poor guy would have only made say 40mill so far plus the 100mill for the new deal. It makes alot of sense because Hamels has had a past of not staying healthy. He hasn't been injury prone but he's also a petite guy in general. Take the 100 win a couple more titles then sign another 2-4 yr deal if and when that time comes.

hamels hasn't been on the DL since 2007. he doesn't get enough credit for his durability. hopefully they can agree to something long term before his arbitration case is heard. If he goes into 2012 without an extension I think there is a really good chance he leaves
    The Fixer wrote:

i heard he wants a 5yr deal between 15-17 which is nuts imo. I actually think 13mill a year for 3yrs would be a bad deal. But like he said the SS list blows this year and Reyes and Rollins will hit Hockey free agency type over spending contracts(Ville Leino)

sometimes you have to overpay guys. I don't think giving rollins 35 mill over 3 years would be bad. he's making around 9 mill a year now and that would bring him up to 12 mill per. he's gonna get a raise and the phils don't have any other options at this point. I know he's not the player he once was, but the chances of them finding an upgrade at SS are slim.

with rollins I think the money is a lot less relevant than the number of years he gets. I wouldn't go over 3 years
    edited July 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just as Johnny said, I am going to come off as an ignorant yankees fan but am going to play devils advocate. You act like its a foregone conclusion that the Phillies are going to win a couple titles over the next 5 years. I could say the same thing (Boston can also say the same thing). Go to free agency, sign a $160 million contract with the Yankees, have security until you are 35 and win a couple titles.

Hamels hasn't ever had an injury to be concerned about, has he? No back or arm problems, right?

I'm just saying, I don't think 5/100 gets it done. $20 mil a year may get it done, but 5 years doesn't get in done in my opinion.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    The Fixer wrote:
    hopefully CC opts out after the year and costs the yanks 30 mill a year going forward :D

Like I said in the Yankees thread, the Yankees are going to pay CC $3.2 billion for 342 years.
    Hamels was hurt to start the 2009 season if i remember correctly. Elbow if i remember correctly remember him getting smoked by the Rockies in his first start that year.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Hamels was hurt to start the 2009 season if i remember correctly. Elbow if i remember correctly remember him getting smoked by the Rockies in his first start that year.

only injuries he's had in the majors were a tender elbow towards the end of the year in '07 and the ankle injury he got when he got hit with a line drive vs milwaukee (I think it was fielder that hit ball, but I'm not 100%).

He broke his hand in a bar fight when he was in the minors

dude has thrown 180+ innings every full season he's been in the majors.

He's awesome. Doesn't get enough credit in this town for how good he is. I hope they can come to terms with him

I have no idea, you could be right, but I don't remember any injury history that would be a cause for concern.

All I am saying, I think the Phillies should lock him up, I think they need to lock up him. They will be old as fuck without him. If they can get him for 5/100 thats fantastic and more power to you guys, I just think he is in line for a massive contract and if he waits till next year, he will get something in line with what CC got, from whoever it may be.

I love baseball contract talk, not trying to be a dick, I just love the business side of the game.
    The Fixer wrote:

Hamels got in a fight? I would pay money to see that.
    The Fixer wrote:

only injuries he's had in the majors were a tender elbow towards the end of the year in '07 and the ankle injury he got when he got hit with a line drive vs milwaukee (I think it was fielder that hit ball, but I'm not 100%).

He's awesome. Doesn't get enough credit in this town for how good he is. I hope they can come to terms with him
    I'm not in any way knocking hamels just saying that anything can happen. And he's not built like a your typical work horse. He was deff hurt in 09 as well to start the season. I'd lock him up for a 5-7 yr deal in a second.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not in any way knocking hamels just saying that anything can happen. And he's not built like a your typical work horse. He was deff hurt in 09 as well to start the season. I'd lock him up for a 5-7 yr deal in a second.

I would give him 7 years in a heartbeat. I also think he will end up with the Phillies, I just don't think it's going to be that easy.
This discussion has been closed.