***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

Well, I should've included Shane because he probably carries more cache' in a trade than Werth. Either way, Taylor or Brown will definitely be seeing playing time in the bigs by 2011. I thought Boston is going to make another push for Gonzalez and move Lowell over to 3rd? EDIT: I mean Youkilis.

i would lock werth up right now. no way would i part with him for halladay. we have enough with happ and the minor league guys to get this done.....plus, if we do not get halladay, its not the end of the world. i fully expect cole hamels to return to form next year. that is still a very solid 1-2 punch that not many teams have. and if we need a starter come july, we can always pull a deadline deal like last year.

I disagree. To go out and push forward because you don't even want to worry about the NL and make winning the World Series your #1 goal more than a pipedream that every player has going into the season(think about where we've come???). Werth's never going to be better than he was this year. Someone will need to go when Taylor or Brown are ready to come up. Shane and Werth will both want about 8/9 mil this year, and it will only sky rocket from there if they excel. And, if they don't - which, like i said, I don't think Werth gets any better, nor younger - now your back to paying guys like you paid Burrell and Lieberthal. Overpaid because of one good season or two. It's pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching. I can't say that enough. And to have a frontline rotation of Lee, Halladay, and Hamels for a year? You kiddin me??? And it increases your shot of locking either Lee or Halladay up to a number that's more reasonable to both sides than just for the player. I do not see a win/lose or a lose/lose in this scenario - nothing but win/win.

ibanez is the one to go dude. you said you think they will be mlb ready by 2011? ....ibanez will be on his way out the door by that time if not sooner. if they trade werth in your scenario, are you comfortable with 38 year old ibanez hitting behind howard next year after what he did after june this past season? werth may not get any better, but i think ibanez is only going to get worse as he gets older.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    i would lock werth up right now. no way would i part with him for halladay. we have enough with happ and the minor league guys to get this done.....plus, if we do not get halladay, its not the end of the world. i fully expect cole hamels to return to form next year. that is still a very solid 1-2 punch that not many teams have. and if we need a starter come july, we can always pull a deadline deal like last year.

I disagree. To go out and push forward because you don't even want to worry about the NL and make winning the World Series your #1 goal more than a pipedream that every player has going into the season(think about where we've come???). Werth's never going to be better than he was this year. Someone will need to go when Taylor or Brown are ready to come up. Shane and Werth will both want about 8/9 mil this year, and it will only sky rocket from there if they excel. And, if they don't - which, like i said, I don't think Werth gets any better, nor younger - now your back to paying guys like you paid Burrell and Lieberthal. Overpaid because of one good season or two. It's pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching. I can't say that enough. And to have a frontline rotation of Lee, Halladay, and Hamels for a year? You kiddin me??? And it increases your shot of locking either Lee or Halladay up to a number that's more reasonable to both sides than just for the player. I do not see a win/lose or a lose/lose in this scenario - nothing but win/win.

ibanez is the one to go dude. you said you think they will be mlb ready by 2011? ....ibanez will be on his way out the door by that time if not sooner. if they trade werth in your scenario, are you comfortable with 38 year old ibanez hitting behind howard next year after what he did after june this past season? werth may not get any better, but i think ibanez is only going to get worse as he gets older.

True. Again, this only reiterates my point that you're not gonna get something for nothing. Either Werth or Victorino will be traded in the next couple years. All this could be a moot point, but Raul's got two more years here and I don't see him going anywhere. Werth's contract is up after next season I believe, and he may be able to entice that deal.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I personally don't think the Phillies need to trade for him. If I were a Phillies fan I would be thrilled at the idea of having a 1-2 of Lee and Halladay but I think it would definitely be going all in next year.

I think it just increases your chance of locking up one of these guys to a long term deal. Because if you don't get Halladay, then you're putting all your eggs in one basket in hoping that you sign Lee. And, if you wait for Doc in 2011, then you're just waiting with everybody else(those Nazi's up north. yeah, i said it.). Lee admitted before coming here that he was intending on testing the market, so you don't really know. All you can do is play the percentages, and that's by having both guys here and seeing you if you can sign either to an extension while they're still in red pinstripes.

I hear you but I think the Phillies should be able to sign Lee either way. They have plently of money making the World Series the last 2 years. I really don't see them having a problem signing him.

I would be suprised if the Yankees make a run at Doc.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I personally don't think the Phillies need to trade for him. If I were a Phillies fan I would be thrilled at the idea of having a 1-2 of Lee and Halladay but I think it would definitely be going all in next year.

I think it just increases your chance of locking up one of these guys to a long term deal. Because if you don't get Halladay, then you're putting all your eggs in one basket in hoping that you sign Lee. And, if you wait for Doc in 2011, then you're just waiting with everybody else(those Nazi's up north. yeah, i said it.). Lee admitted before coming here that he was intending on testing the market, so you don't really know. All you can do is play the percentages, and that's by having both guys here and seeing you if you can sign either to an extension while they're still in red pinstripes.

I hear you but I think the Phillies should be able to sign Lee either way. They have plently of money making the World Series the last 2 years. I really don't see them having a problem signing him.

I would be suprised if the Yankees make a run at Doc.

I would not be.
    :?
    I personally don't think they like his age. Cashman is always talking about getting younger and signing a 33 year old pitcher to a long term deal does not fit into that.

Heyman seems to think the Yankees are going to offer Lackey the same/similar deal as AJ. I don't like that.

True. Again, this only reiterates my point that you're not gonna get something for nothing. Either Werth or Victorino will be traded in the next couple years. All this could be a moot point, but Raul's got two more years here and I don't see him going anywhere. Werth's contract is up after next season I believe, and he may be able to entice that deal.

i got a feeling raul's gonna go all jamie moyer on us sooner than later...and to me, that is a reason to sign werth for 3-4 years. he can play right or left and is a perfect right handed bat behind howard. then you throw brown or taylor (whichever one does not get dealt) in the other side of the outfield.....this isn't the same "small market" team that overpaid for lieby back in the day. i think you might be undervaluing werth's worth on this squad. plus, i think we can get halladay without giving him up so i think this is a moo point. moooo.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I personally don't think they like his age. Cashman is always talking about getting younger and signing a 33 year old pitcher to a long term deal does not fit into that.

Heyman seems to think the Yankees are going to offer Lackey the same/similar deal as AJ. I don't like that.

There it is! Yeah, I don't see how the Angels don't re-sign him though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Me either. The Heyman stuff seems like pure speculation as well but I would absolutely hate it if the Yanks gave him anything close to AJ's contract
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Me either. The Heyman stuff seems like pure speculation as well but I would absolutely hate it if the Yanks gave him anything close to AJ's contract

Well, he is better than AJ though, so he deserves that kind of money. I just don't see where Anaheim improves if they let him AND Figgins walk.
    Well, he is better than AJ though, so he deserves that kind of money. I just don't see where Anaheim improves if they let him AND Figgins walk.

I completely disagree. AJ has him beat in almost every statistic and I can't believe I am going to say this is more durable.

Last 2 Seasons:
    AJ: 428 IP, 8.6 WAR
    Lackey: 339.2 IP, 5.9 WAR
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Blow this thread up... it's over!!

Don't give up the farm for Roy.

unless you trade Hamels straight up ;)
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    booomm11 wrote:

Nah. Just change the title. Petrocs - get on it.

No trading Hamels for Halladay straight up. Enough of this talk. Especially because it's not happening.
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    I know it's crazy talk. You think Drabek will get a shot this year?
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    booomm11 wrote:
    I know it's crazy talk. You think Drabek will get a shot this year?

Yeah, definitely. He'll start in spring training on the 40 man I'm sure, go down to AAA at Lehigh, then probably take over Moyer's 5th spot in the rotation at some point between July and September.
    Rollins, Victorino retain Gold Gloves

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins and outfielder Shane Victorino found themselves in rare company Wednesday when they picked up Rawlings Gold Glove Awards. Rollins is the first National League shortstop to win three consecutive Gold Gloves since Rey Ordonez in 1997-99 and Victorino is the first Phillies outfielder to win consecutive Gold Gloves since Garry Maddox won eight straight from 1975-82.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    booomm11 wrote:

Nah. Just change the title. Petrocs - get on it.

No trading Hamels for Halladay straight up. Enough of this talk. Especially because it's not happening.

No effn way...we are and will always be the 2009 World Champions

But I'll change it for prosperity sake
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    Rollins, Victorino retain Gold Gloves

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins and outfielder Shane Victorino found themselves in rare company Wednesday when they picked up Rawlings Gold Glove Awards. Rollins is the first National League shortstop to win three consecutive Gold Gloves since Rey Ordonez in 1997-99 and Victorino is the first Phillies outfielder to win consecutive Gold Gloves since Garry Maddox won eight straight from 1975-82.

:thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    edited November 2009
    Derosa

Per Fox Sports, out of the dozen teams interested he is expected to sign with the Phils

hmmmm
    Post edited by Phantom Pain on
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Per Fox Sports, out of the dozen teams interested he is expected to sign with the Phils

hmmmm

Who?
  • Per Fox Sports, out of the dozen teams interested he is expected to sign with the Phils

hmmmm

Who?

Derosa

I just edited the original post
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

hmmmm

Who?

Derosa

I just edited the original post

Let's hope. He's such a perfect fit here. And let's hope for no major injuries.
    I would have no problem with getting DeRosa as long as they bring in some pitching help and a friggin bench!
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    petrocs wrote:
    I would have no problem with getting DeRosa as long as they bring in some pitching help and a friggin bench!

That's the list of priorities - 3rds, bullpen, bench.
    petrocs wrote:

Yeah but starting pitching is also a need no matter what they say

Hamels (bounce back?)
    Lee (continue his dominance or wind up like Hamels from last year)
    Happ (sophmore slump?)
    Blanton (can he give us 7 quality for 85% or more of his starts?)
    Moyer/Kendrick/Drabeck/Martinez? (could be interesting to see how this unfolds)

I know I'd personally love to have Halliday at the top but I dont see it happeneing at this point
    Shows:
    petrocs wrote:
    petrocs wrote:

Hamels (bounce back?)
    Happ (sophmore slump?)

I know I'd personally love to have Halliday at the top but I dont see it happeneing at this point

You're freaking out about the starting pitching. The least of my worries right now.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    petrocs wrote:

Hamels (bounce back?)
    Happ (sophmore slump?)

You're freaking out about the starting pitching. The least of my worries right now.

Exactly... the starting pitching will work itself out.
    Moyer and Kendrick will vie for 5th starter and Drabek will be a mid season call up if he pitches well.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    personally, i don't think derosa is THAT much more of an upgrade than pedro feliz. if this is the direction we're going, i'd like to see them sign both and use derosa as a super utility guy to spell utley and rollins. i'm guessing the money would not work for that. i'm just not as down on feliz as everyone else is. he had a horrible post season but the man is a fucking vacuum at 3rd. last year derosa had much better power numbers and obp was about 10 pts higher...but feliz had him beat in average and run production. feliz had 82 rib's from the 7th spot in the lineup. another thing to consider in a lineup that strikes out A TON is that derosa struck out 121 times last year to pedro's 68. we're getting some more power...and some more holes in the lineup here.

to me, getting derosa and losing feliz means you will upgrade a little at the plate, but lose quite a bit in the field. and they're the same age too. i dunno...

with this lineup, i don't think this is worth it. i'd rather have a guy who is excellent at 3rd (gold fucking glove worthy) and average (albeit, below average at times) at the plate, then a guy who has never played more than 63 games at third in the season and is a average at the plate.
    www.myspace.com
    personally, i don't think derosa is THAT much more of an upgrade than pedro feliz. if this is the direction we're going, i'd like to see them sign both and use derosa as a super utility guy to spell utley and rollins. i'm guessing the money would not work for that. i'm just not as down on feliz as everyone else is. he had a horrible post season but the man is a fucking vacuum at 3rd. last year derosa had much better power numbers and obp was about 10 pts higher...but feliz had him beat in average and run production. feliz had 82 rib's from the 7th spot in the lineup. another thing to consider in a lineup that strikes out A TON is that derosa struck out 121 times last year to pedro's 68. we're getting some more power...and some more holes in the lineup here.

to me, getting derosa and losing feliz means you will upgrade a little at the plate, but lose quite a bit in the field. and they're the same age too. i dunno...

with this lineup, i don't think this is worth it. i'd rather have a guy who is excellent at 3rd (gold fucking glove worthy) and average (albeit, below average at times) at the plate, then a guy who has never played more than 63 games at third in the season and is a average at the plate.

Derosa's avg. was only hurt from the injury. His career avg., hr, rbi, OBP, and - the biggest thing to me - his total of RBI's and runs scored are far better than Feliz's. Derosa is a flat out baller in the terms of a ballplayer - he's atypical. Not to mention, he'd be a huge favorite here. I'd go Derosa or Beltre, either one of them. You need more offensive production out of your corner fielder. Of course Feliz is solid out at 3rd, but it's not worth 5.5 when you can get Derosa with far more offensive production in the 7 hole for a tad more. The point of this move, or whom ever they put at 3rd, is to make your bottom of your lineup not a black hole.

Derosa's avg. was only hurt from the injury. His career avg., hr, rbi, OBP, and - the biggest thing to me - his total of RBI's and runs scored are far better than Feliz's. Derosa is a flat out baller in the terms of a ballplayer - he's atypical. Not to mention, he'd be a huge favorite here. I'd go Derosa or Beltre, either one of them. You need more offensive production out of your corner fielder. Of course Feliz is solid out at 3rd, but it's not worth 5.5 when you can get Derosa with far more offensive production in the 7 hole for a tad more. The point of this move, or whom ever they put at 3rd, is to make your bottom of your lineup not a black hole.
    here is their season averages:
    FELIZ:
    YEARS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    7.19 162 535 63 136 27 3 19 78 30 86 2 2 .254 .293 .422 .715

DEROSA:
    YEARS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    6.37 162 497 76 136 27 2 14 68 47 95 3 2 .275 .343 .424 .767

you cannot tell me that is a HUGE upgrade. and then you factor in the defense and the fact that derosa has never played a full season at 3rd base...i dunno man. this does not seem like that great a move to me. feliz may have been a black hole in the playoffs, but he batted 266, with 80 some rbi's and only struck out 68 times last year. that's far from a black hole in your 7 spot...especially if ruiz continues to improve offensively.

personally, if feliz is not coming back, i'd go after tejada. sure he will cost more but you can probably just get him on a 2 year deal which is all we need anyway (9M per probably?). the guy's actually played full season's at 3rd the last few years and is a lifetime .289 hitter. he's older. but again, if you can get him for just 2 years, i think it would be worth it. derosa, to me, seems like he's be more valuable off the bench.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.