***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    The problem with De Rosa is that he wants everyday player money AND wants to be a starter. So I don't see him coming here for anything less than that. I agree that he would be a great bench player and could spell basically the whole infield at any point in the season, but he wants to start.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    chromiam wrote:
    The problem with De Rosa is that he wants everyday player money AND wants to be a starter. So I don't see him coming here for anything less than that. I agree that he would be a great bench player and could spell basically the whole infield at any point in the season, but he wants to start.

yeah...and to me that is a bigger need. i'd probably resign feliz if you cannot obtain tejada and then hunt for a super utility guy who can dh as we win our 2nd world series in 3 years. HEY. OH.

GO PHILS!

(wow---this is such a baseball town it is NOT EVEN CLOSE at this point)
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    chromiam wrote:

yeah...and to me that is a bigger need. i'd probably resign feliz if you cannot obtain tejada and then hunt for a super utility guy who can dh as we win our 2nd world series in 3 years. HEY. OH.

GO PHILS!

That's funny because when I moved here 3 years ago, no one really gave a shit about the Phillies. It was all Eagles. You were able to get awesome lower level tickets at CBP a couple days before a weekend game. No shot at that anymore

(Not trying to start a fight, just sayin)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    personally, i don't think derosa is THAT much more of an upgrade than pedro feliz. if this is the direction we're going, i'd like to see them sign both and use derosa as a super utility guy to spell utley and rollins. i'm guessing the money would not work for that. i'm just not as down on feliz as everyone else is. he had a horrible post season but the man is a fucking vacuum at 3rd. last year derosa had much better power numbers and obp was about 10 pts higher...but feliz had him beat in average and run production. feliz had 82 rib's from the 7th spot in the lineup. another thing to consider in a lineup that strikes out A TON is that derosa struck out 121 times last year to pedro's 68. we're getting some more power...and some more holes in the lineup here.

to me, getting derosa and losing feliz means you will upgrade a little at the plate, but lose quite a bit in the field. and they're the same age too. i dunno...

with this lineup, i don't think this is worth it. i'd rather have a guy who is excellent at 3rd (gold fucking glove worthy) and average (albeit, below average at times) at the plate, then a guy who has never played more than 63 games at third in the season and is a average at the plate.

Derosa's avg. was only hurt from the injury. His career avg., hr, rbi, OBP, and - the biggest thing to me - his total of RBI's and runs scored are far better than Feliz's. Derosa is a flat out baller in the terms of a ballplayer - he's atypical. Not to mention, he'd be a huge favorite here. I'd go Derosa or Beltre, either one of them. You need more offensive production out of your corner fielder. Of course Feliz is solid out at 3rd, but it's not worth 5.5 when you can get Derosa with far more offensive production in the 7 hole for a tad more. The point of this move, or whom ever they put at 3rd, is to make your bottom of your lineup not a black hole.
    here is their season averages:
    FELIZ:
    YEARS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    7.19 162 535 63 136 27 3 19 78 30 86 2 2 .254 .293 .422 .715

DEROSA:
    6.37 162 497 76 136 27 2 14 68 47 95 3 2 .275 .343 .424 .767

you cannot tell me that is a HUGE upgrade. and then you factor in the defense and the fact that derosa has never played a full season at 3rd base...i dunno man. this does not seem like that great a move to me. feliz may have been a black hole in the playoffs, but he batted 266, with 80 some rbi's and only struck out 68 times last year. that's far from a black hole in your 7 spot...especially if ruiz continues to improve offensively.

personally, if feliz is not coming back, i'd go after tejada. sure he will cost more but you can probably just get him on a 2 year deal which is all we need anyway (9M per probably?). the guy's actually played full season's at 3rd the last few years and is a lifetime .289 hitter. he's older. but again, if you can get him for just 2 years, i think it would be worth it. derosa, to me, seems like he's be more valuable off the bench.

I know the numbers. I can look up player cards if need be. If you're gonna sit there and tell me that a 50 point difference in OBP isn't a huge deal then you're lying to yourself. And if you look at his numbers since '06(apart from his injury after getting traded to St. Louis) his OPS has hovered around .800 which is damn good for my 7 hole. Plus, if they're the same age and has played less time than Feliz then that concludes that there's a whole lot more left in those legs compared to Pedro. Remember - the point of these moves is to have flexibility if you need a bonafide 1-9 lineup for a certain kind of series where only Matt Stairs had a hit coming off the bench. And plus, Derosa is more able in all areas - I guarantee you he can go 1st to 3rd a lot better than Pete. Don't get me wrong, I liked Mr. Happy but I don't mind the shake up.

And to the notion of Derosa wanting starting money. Give it to him. My choices are Derosa, Beltre, Polanco in that order. Derosa can play other positions to spell Ibanez, Werth, Utley, and Howard while Dobbs plays 3rd(Dobbs is a better hitter when he gets the playing time). Beltre has plenty of power and won't get as much as his last contract, and he actually is a gold glove winner. Polanco said he'd play 3rd for a winner, and he's damn skippy with a bat.

For utility, I'd like them to get Scutaro for short and second behind Rollins but that'll probably be too much money. I like Hairston if they don't do that. I just DO NOT WANT Tatis. I do not wanna see that douche on this team. I will boo every time.

I'd get Derosa, Hairston, Blanco for back up cather, and Brandon Lyon or Soriano in the 'pen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    chromiam wrote:

GO PHILS!

That's funny because when I moved here 3 years ago, no one really gave a shit about the Phillies. It was all Eagles. You were able to get awesome lower level tickets at CBP a couple days before a weekend game. No shot at that anymore

This only helps the fans of the "fairweather" argument. A) It's baseball. 81 home games. Remember when the Yankees were mediocre and couldn't sell out Yankee Stadium? I do. B) Show us you care about winning. C) People in this city would show up in droves to every arena in this town if we know you're doing your best to field the best team possible. D) Oh, and a championship always helps and there's always bandwagon fans. Die hard Yankee fans should know this better than anybody. ;) AKA Lebron James.
    This only helps the fans of the "fairweather" argument. A) It's baseball. 81 home games. Remember when the Yankees were mediocre and couldn't sell out Yankee Stadium? I do. B) Show us you care about winning. C) People in this city would show up in droves to every arena in this town if we know you're doing your best to field the best team possible. D) Oh, and a championship always helps and there's always bandwagon fans. Die hard Yankee fans should know this better than anybody. ;) AKA Lebron James.

For sure man, the first Yankees game I went to was in 88 and I think my dad and I were the only people in our section. I agree with all your points. I definitely think of Philadelphia as more of a football city though. Maybe not right now, but overall.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

For sure man, the first Yankees game I went to was in 88 and I think my dad and I were the only people in our section. I agree with all your points. I definitely think of Philadelphia as more of a football city though. Maybe not right now, but overall.

Definitely. Because this is a meat head city, and there are a fucking lot of meat heads(WT) in this city. Listen to WIP enough and you think that's all that inhabits this city.

I'm just loving that football(I know it doesn't look too good right now) and baseball are both solid right now. Everything's right in the world when they're both intriguing to watch. Don't worry though, one of these will fuck it up. Probably the Eagles with not having a QB after this year and there WILL be a lockout in 2011.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely. Because this is a meat head city, and there are a fucking lot of meat heads(WT) in this city. Listen to WIP enough and you think that's all that inhabits this city.

I'm just loving that football(I know it doesn't look too good right now) and baseball are both solid right now. Everything's right in the world when they're both intriguing to watch. Don't worry though, one of these will fuck it up. Probably the Eagles with not having a QB after this year and there WILL be a lockout in 2011.

WIP is the fucking worst. Everyone on that station aside from Gargano make Francesca sound reasonable and articulate.

It has definitely been fun living here with a good NY/Philadelphia rilvary. I have a lot of good friends from Philly now and it has been fun with the Giants winning the Superbowl, Phillies winning the WS and now the Yanks beating the Phillies. There are a whole lot of meat heads and you won't hear me say this often but there are a lot of good fans.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

WIP is the fucking worst. Everyone on that station aside from Gargano make Francesca sound reasonable and articulate.

It has definitely been fun living here with a good NY/Philadelphia rilvary. I have a lot of good friends from Philly now and it has been fun with the Giants winning the Superbowl, Phillies winning the WS and now the Yanks beating the Phillies. There are a whole lot of meat heads and you won't hear me say this often but there are a lot of good fans.

Great sport city. Love it. That's why I'm sick of the whole Boston/NY thing. It should be Phlly/NY more often. Wish the Sixers and Knicks had more of a rivalry, but that would need winning.
    Great sport city. Love it. That's why I'm sick of the whole Boston/NY thing. It should be Phlly/NY more often. Wish the Sixers and Knicks had more of a rivalry, but that would need winning.

I hear you but the Boston/NY rivalry just has so much history. NY/Philly has a good thing going and it is definitely getting better but for me there will be nothing like the Yanks beating the Red Sox.

Derosa's avg. was only hurt from the injury. His career avg., hr, rbi, OBP, and - the biggest thing to me - his total of RBI's and runs scored are far better than Feliz's. Derosa is a flat out baller in the terms of a ballplayer - he's atypical. Not to mention, he'd be a huge favorite here. I'd go Derosa or Beltre, either one of them. You need more offensive production out of your corner fielder. Of course Feliz is solid out at 3rd, but it's not worth 5.5 when you can get Derosa with far more offensive production in the 7 hole for a tad more. The point of this move, or whom ever they put at 3rd, is to make your bottom of your lineup not a black hole.
    FELIZ:

DEROSA:

you cannot tell me that is a HUGE upgrade. and then you factor in the defense and the fact that derosa has never played a full season at 3rd base...i dunno man. this does not seem like that great a move to me. feliz may have been a black hole in the playoffs, but he batted 266, with 80 some rbi's and only struck out 68 times last year. that's far from a black hole in your 7 spot...especially if ruiz continues to improve offensively.

personally, if feliz is not coming back, i'd go after tejada. sure he will cost more but you can probably just get him on a 2 year deal which is all we need anyway (9M per probably?). the guy's actually played full season's at 3rd the last few years and is a lifetime .289 hitter. he's older. but again, if you can get him for just 2 years, i think it would be worth it. derosa, to me, seems like he's be more valuable off the bench.

I know the numbers. I can look up player cards if need be. If you're gonna sit there and tell me that a 50 point difference in OBP isn't a huge deal then you're lying to yourself. And if you look at his numbers since '06(apart from his injury after getting traded to St. Louis) his OPS has hovered around .800 which is damn good for my 7 hole. Plus, if they're the same age and has played less time than Feliz then that concludes that there's a whole lot more left in those legs compared to Pedro. Remember - the point of these moves is to have flexibility if you need a bonafide 1-9 lineup for a certain kind of series where only Matt Stairs had a hit coming off the bench. And plus, Derosa is more able in all areas - I guarantee you he can go 1st to 3rd a lot better than Pete. Don't get me wrong, I liked Mr. Happy but I don't mind the shake up.

And to the notion of Derosa wanting starting money. Give it to him. My choices are Derosa, Beltre, Polanco in that order. Derosa can play other positions to spell Ibanez, Werth, Utley, and Howard while Dobbs plays 3rd(Dobbs is a better hitter when he gets the playing time). Beltre has plenty of power and won't get as much as his last contract, and he actually is a gold glove winner. Polanco said he'd play 3rd for a winner, and he's damn skippy with a bat.

For utility, I'd like them to get Scutaro for short and second behind Rollins but that'll probably be too much money. I like Hairston if they don't do that. I just DO NOT WANT Tatis. I do not wanna see that douche on this team. I will boo every time.

I'd get Derosa, Hairston, Blanco for back up cather, and Brandon Lyon or Soriano in the 'pen.

i hear ya...i just don't think derosa is that huge of an upgrade as an all around player. yeah, the ops is higher. but you can't ignore everything else. run production. run production. run production....feliz had 80 some rbi's batting BEHIND guys who had 100. that is pretty solid production plus gold glove caliber defense.

i am not too keen on polanco either since he hasnt played 3rd in years. he didnt like playing there before either. that was one of the reasons edward wade traded him...for a player currently sitting in a venezualen prison cell right now :roll:

what are your thoughts on tejada for a 2 year deal?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    chromiam wrote:

GO PHILS!

umm, yeah dude...that is kind of exactly my point. this used to be an eagles town 100%. now the phillies own it and there is no question about it. i'm more excited to see what we do in free agency than the birds....and i am proud birds season ticket holder.
    www.myspace.com
    FELIZ:

DEROSA:

i hear ya...i just don't think derosa is that huge of an upgrade as an all around player. yeah, the ops is higher. but you can't ignore everything else. run production. run production. run production....feliz had 80 some rbi's batting BEHIND guys who had 100. that is pretty solid production plus gold glove caliber defense.

i am not too keen on polanco either since he hasnt played 3rd in years. he didnt like playing there before either. that was one of the reasons edward wade traded him...for a player currently sitting in a venezualen prison cell right now :roll:

what are your thoughts on tejada for a 2 year deal?

I like it. That's if he would actually do it. And if you're saying 9 mil per year, then I like Chone Figgins even more because I don't see Figgins getting 10 mil per year, which by what you're saying means we could get Figgins if they're willing to spend that kind of money. Love Tejada's in-to-out swing though. He killed us with that thing. All I know is I would be perfectly happy with Derosa or Beltre at 3rd. And just keep in mind people like Figgins and Tejada, and even possibly Beltre, they're going to cost more and you still have to pay other positions you need to fill.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Let the games begin!
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    petrocs wrote:
    Let the games begin!

Something better happen sooner than later.
    slow start to free agency huh?

what's the latest rumors?
    www.myspace.com
    Nothing as of late
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    I have absolutely nothing holding me over right now. The Sixers blow, I could care less about the Flyers until the playoffs, the Birds aren't doing much for me right now, and this.

Anyway, this is a pretty good read written by UPenn's own Doug Glanville in the NYT about free agency...

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... e-at-last/
  • I heard on the radio this morning Feliz was so hurt by the team not picking up his option he would never sign here now

Oh well
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    slow start to free agency huh?

what's the latest rumors?

Rarely any signings ever happen before winter meetings. At least any significant signings.

Personally, I'd love to see DeRosa here. He's had a great career since I knew him in college. We all thought he was nuts to take a shot with the Braves after he got drafted in the 7th round his junior year because he would have been drafted higher the following year. He was 32 yards away from breaking the alltime passing record at Penn when he left school. But it's all worked out for him in the end.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Welp, looks like we got a little bit of movement here...though not that rattling. Upgrade from EB anyway.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... tlett.html
  • Welp, looks like we got a little bit of movement here...though not that rattling. Upgrade from EB anyway.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... tlett.html

I agree with this comment on the page :

who? we can't do better than a lifetime .230 hitter? better than bruntlett? sure...but come on. and 37 years old?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Let the winter meetings begin! I need to see some kind of roster taking shape
    Shows:
    http://www.the700level.com/2009/12/repo ... ition.html

EXCELLENT pickup! :thumbup:

I know, I know - it's not the biggest deal, but I've always been a fan of this guy. Even if he was a Met and National/Expo.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    http://www.the700level.com/2009/12/report-phillies-add-local-backstop-brian-schneider-as-first-2010-addition.html

EXCELLENT pickup! :thumbup:

I know, I know - it's not the biggest deal, but I've always been a fan of this guy. Even if he was a Met and National/Expo.

he is the ideal backup/part time catcher. a rock behind the plate (which is what you want with your backup catcher) and a good team leader. I like this signing a lot.

midnight is the deadline for teams to offer free agents arbitration. we should start to see some of the big names sign in the next week or two. If polanco doesn't get offered arb by detroit, I bet the phils make a push to sign him (they won't have to forfeit a 1st round pick if he isn't offered arb).

I also read that the phils submitted a preliminary contract proposal to beltre.

read someone mention feliz and his feelings being hurt. um, who cares? there are 5 or 6 available upgrades at 3B. thanks for your time here pedro, now don't let the door hit you in the ass.
    detroit declined to offer polanco arbitration. this means phils can sign him without having to give up a draft pick.

I'd still rather have beltre and/or derosa, but polanco wouldn't be a bad option. Tejada would be my fourth choice (but only if he isn't offered arbitration by ed wade...no way I'd surrender a #1 pick for him)
    phils close to an agreement with john smoltz.

I like it...he can start or come out of the pen
    The Fixer wrote:

Where do you see that? MLBTR says they are eyeing him.

What's their to like? He pitched 78 innings to a 6.35 ERA.
    The Fixer wrote:

dont want him
    Shows:
    edited December 2009
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Where do you see that? MLBTR says they are eyeing him.

What's their to like? He pitched 78 innings to a 6.35 ERA.

that was mostly in the AL...he would be fine in the NL. what's to like? well, if he's the 5th starter, his name isn't moyer or kendrick. and if he is coming out of the pen, he'd be more effective than durbin was in a similar role last year (and he has closing experience should lidge repeat his 2009 season).

he was also coming off a major injury last year. It would be a solid signing for the phils. low risk-high reward and the team has a lot of flexibility on how to use him.

A better question is what's not to like?
    Post edited by The Fixer on
This discussion has been closed.