***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    Wilson Valdez ready to come in and pitch? :?

i'd rather him than herndon. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I think victorino scores on that if pena doesn't make that play. that was sick
    i feel like the phils have played way more extra inning games than usual this year. it's like every 5th game goes at least 11 innings or something...
    www.myspace.com
    i feel like the phils have played way more extra inning games than usual this year. it's like every 5th game goes at least 11 innings or something...

that's what happens when you can't score runs

that new pickoff play was sweet.
    come on man. AIDS
    again i take full responsibility for tyler colvin. that one's on me :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    good to see Charlie and Dubes run out of pitchers again. at least time it was only in the 10th when we had no one left. charlie's a great manager when he can pencil in a lineup and leave it alone all night. once thinking comes into play not so much.

halladay-zambrano tonight - game over by thes start of the 2nd period of the Stanley Cup game? that should be about 9:15.
    pjhawks wrote:
    good to see Charlie and Dubes run out of pitchers again. at least time it was only in the 10th when we had no one left. charlie's a great manager when he can pencil in a lineup and leave it alone all night. once thinking comes into play not so much.

halladay-zambrano tonight - game over by thes start of the 2nd period of the Stanley Cup game? that should be about 9:15.

I agree about manuel. I was gonna bring that up last night but I was too busy bitching about the lineup.

zambrano sucks
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The 81 wrote:
    They need to change the hr rule out there. Put a yellow stripe at the top of the geen wall. That little fence is not a good hr line.

yellow line should be on the top of the fence. but never understand why the yellow line went away at most parks anyway. that should be a rule...

WILL. BE. EJECTED.

:lol:

i'd put it at the top of the wall in philly....if you put it at the fence, fans are still going to be reaching. make it the wall and if a fan touches it, no big deal, but it at teh top of the fence, and you have a lot of muddy calls like last night.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    again i take full responsibility for tyler colvin. that one's on me :lol:

i blame Speedy....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    The Fixer wrote:

that's what happens when you can't score runs

that new pickoff play was sweet.

And I believe they've lost most, if not all, of them. And all because they're not a clutch team, due to like you said, not being able to hit or score runs.

It's not even the runs part anymore, it's the hits. What'd they have through 9 last night - 5? Christ.

And I'm starting to think this team doesn't go after any kind of bat. Maybe relief insurance and a mediocre bench bat, but nothing significant. I think we're pretty much set in stone with this lineup once everyone gets healthy - IF they can even stay healthy. I heard someone on tv/radio make a good point yesterday(actually think it was Seth Everett, whom I enjoy listening to). What corner OF are they going to get that will make a huge difference? Brown is playing well enough to be playing nearly everyday, which was the plan from the beginning, Ibanez isn't coming out of the lineup unless he hits like .100 the rest of the way. And who else are you going to substitute another bat for? The core of this lineup? I think not. The fact of the matter is this team can hit, and are not, but they NEED to if they plan on winning a championship. I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic here as there's still plenty of time left in the season, and hell, if that weak ass Giants lineup can start stroking it at the right time, then so can this one. So I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm not expecting anything at the trade deadline other than a relief pitcher possibly, and maybe a decent bench player that can fill in at the corner spots, third, second, and hit moderately well off the bench.

And I believe they've lost most, if not all, of them. And all because they're not a clutch team, due to like you said, not being able to hit or score runs.

It's not even the runs part anymore, it's the hits. What'd they have through 9 last night - 5? Christ.

And I'm starting to think this team doesn't go after any kind of bat. Maybe relief insurance and a mediocre bench bat, but nothing significant. I think we're pretty much set in stone with this lineup once everyone gets healthy - IF they can even stay healthy. I heard someone on tv/radio make a good point yesterday(actually think it was Seth Everett, whom I enjoy listening to). What corner OF are they going to get that will make a huge difference? Brown is playing well enough to be playing nearly everyday, which was the plan from the beginning, Ibanez isn't coming out of the lineup unless he hits like .100 the rest of the way. And who else are you going to substitute another bat for? The core of this lineup? I think not. The fact of the matter is this team can hit, and are not, but they NEED to if they plan on winning a championship. I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic here as there's still plenty of time left in the season, and hell, if that weak ass Giants lineup can start stroking it at the right time, then so can this one. So I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm not expecting anything at the trade deadline other than a relief pitcher possibly, and maybe a decent bench player that can fill in at the corner spots, third, second, and hit moderately well off the bench.

the thing with this lineup is that it beats up on bad pitching enough to give people a false sense of security. you hear people say dumb things like 'they have more runs than so and so' or 'they have the best record in baseball thru may 15th'. they have too many free swingers that don't know how to work counts (everyone but utley and chooch), they are too left handed (making them vulnerable in late game/extra inning situations), and they're too old.

Of course I said all of this 6 weeks ago and people told me I was crazy and too negative.

Ibanez is the one that needs to be replaced. or/and they can find a RH veteran to platoon with brown (beltran and willingham are still my top 2 choices...I'd even be happy with jeff keppinger at this point. I just can't take ibanez anymore). I'm fine with brown getting the majority of the PT in may, june, july...but I don't think he's ready to be an everyday guy on a team with WS aspirations (anything short of a WS win is a failure this year).

Also, I think people need to stop using the giants as a comparison. That was a fluke. and the giants bullpen last year is far superior to the phils pen this year (their bullpen isn't good enough either)

the rotation is great. the rest of the team is frustrating
    The bullpen for this team isn't that bad(the heart of it - Madson, Bastardo, Contreras, Stutes - these are going to be hearty guys come playoffs). And like I said, I'm not talking about what you would do, I'm saying realistically, not in a dream, Ibanez isn't coming out of this lineup. It's just not happening. Unless, like I said, he absolutely tanks. And you can't expect this team to play Brown most of this year, and assuming does a decent job at it, and expect them to yank him from the lineup once it becomes August/September/October.

I don't see any of those guys you named coming here except Keppinger. And isn't he still hurt?

I just don't see it. The fact is, realistically, this organization is going to ride this team out.
    The Fixer wrote:

the thing with this lineup is that it beats up on bad pitching enough to give people a false sense of security. you hear people say dumb things like 'they have more runs than so and so' or 'they have the best record in baseball thru may 15th'. they have too many free swingers that don't know how to work counts (everyone but utley and chooch), they are too left handed (making them vulnerable in late game/extra inning situations), and they're too old.

Of course I said all of this 6 weeks ago and people told me I was crazy and too negative.

Ibanez is the one that needs to be replaced. or/and they can find a RH veteran to platoon with brown (beltran and willingham are still my top 2 choices...I'd even be happy with jeff keppinger at this point. I just can't take ibanez anymore). I'm fine with brown getting the majority of the PT in may, june, july...but I don't think he's ready to be an everyday guy on a team with WS aspirations (anything short of a WS win is a failure this year).

Also, I think people need to stop using the giants as a comparison. That was a fluke. and the giants bullpen last year is far superior to the phils pen this year (their bullpen isn't good enough either)

the rotation is great. the rest of the team is frustrating

agree Ibanez is the one to be replaced and will be. no way you spend $170 million on a payroll to win a championship and quiver over another million or two at the deadline. something will happen. i'd take beltran (he'd look good in the 5th hole) but younger and more athletic wouldn't hurt either. one of the problems with this lineup is how slow they are. when you get into polanco, howard, ibanez, ruiz it's devastatingly slow and takes 3 hits to score a run. the other night charlie had howard, ibanez and ruiz 4 through 6. that's a disaster if they don't hit home runs. there is just a bad balance to this lineup. at least when mayberry and brown were inthe lineup together if gave you some options on the base paths. right now we are still playing sit around and wait for extra base hits but we hit no extra base hits (and don't even get me started on victorino standing on 1st like a statue in the 10th last night with 2 outs, steal a fucking base on the 1st pitch...end of rant).
    The bullpen for this team isn't that bad(the heart of it - Madson, Bastardo, Contreras, Stutes - these are going to be hearty guys come playoffs). And like I said, I'm not talking about what you would do, I'm saying realistically, not in a dream, Ibanez isn't coming out of this lineup. It's just not happening. Unless, like I said, he absolutely tanks. And you can't expect this team to play Brown most of this year, and assuming does a decent job at it, and expect them to yank him from the lineup once it becomes August/September/October.

I don't see any of those guys you named coming here except Keppinger. And isn't he still hurt?

I just don't see it. The fact is, realistically, this organization is going to ride this team out.

keppinger is back. willingham and beltran are both in FA years, so I think they are candidates.

they desperately need a lefty out of the pen. I know bastardo has done well, but I don't want to see him coming out of the pen in the playoffs to get someone like fielder, votto, mccann out in a big spot.

hopefully their pitching can get them to the playoffs and they find some way to upgrade this horseshit lineup
    pjhawks wrote:
    agree Ibanez is the one to be replaced and will be. no way you spend $170 million on a payroll to win a championship and quiver over another million or two at the deadline. something will happen.

they are right up against the luxury tax threshold. I will be SHOCKED if their payroll goes to that level. I just don't see it happening
    It's not even the plate discipline that bothers me(well, of course it does), but it's more the lack of outright power. No one is hitting the ball with any authority. Like, really beating the shit out of the ball. Well, actually Brown has.
    It's not even the plate discipline that bothers me(well, of course it does), but it's more the lack of outright power. No one is hitting the ball with any authority. Like, really beating the shit out of the ball. Well, actually Brown has.

it's not like they have been facing great pitching in the last week either. LAD (no kershaw), DC, Pitts, NYM. Gonna see a lot better than that in october

who is the best pitcher they have beaten this year?
    I don't mean to be all doom and gloom. I just want this team to be good enough to win it all. right now I don't think they are
    That's a good question - Kuroda maybe cause he's a lefty, or....Derek Lowe. Really? Awful.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    agree Ibanez is the one to be replaced and will be. no way you spend $170 million on a payroll to win a championship and quiver over another million or two at the deadline. something will happen.

they are right up against the luxury tax threshold. I will be SHOCKED if their payroll goes to that level. I just don't see it happening

agree their not going to go over the threshold but they are still a few million away and someone will go to offset the salary issues. i'm not worried about the payroll issues at this point as i think they will make it work.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    Some great pictures of the city.

http://mauleofamerica.com/philly2011/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

man, I miss living in the city.

best pic was rollins popping up to SS
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha. Yeah, man. I dig this town. It's a great place, so underrated.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha. Yeah, man. I dig this town. It's a great place, so underrated.

That's a great site. I can't wait to be back down there for good. Hopefully sooner than later.
    That's a great site. I can't wait to be back down there for good. Hopefully sooner than later.

Yeah, man. Gotta get back in the city. It's a great time.
    The 81 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    They need to change the hr rule out there. Put a yellow stripe at the top of the geen wall. That little fence is not a good hr line.

yellow line should be on the top of the fence. but never understand why the yellow line went away at most parks anyway. that should be a rule...

WILL. BE. EJECTED.

:lol:

i'd put it at the top of the wall in philly....if you put it at the fence, fans are still going to be reaching. make it the wall and if a fan touches it, no big deal, but it at teh top of the fence, and you have a lot of muddy calls like last night.

nah....small park to begin with. gotta put it at the top. what happened last night was a rare occurence.
    www.myspace.com
    Authority.
    Nice. Keep pounding this scrub
    Dude, I think Hell - if it was real - would consist of me having to sit down and listen to Wheels and McCarthy banter back and forth. This is insufferable. I'm going to pour acid in my ears.
This discussion has been closed.