***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    :think: :eh:

regarding the defense:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_ ... order/true ...finished 14th in nl last year. currently in 1st.

and to appease our new age fans, although sabermetrics defense is still a work in progress ( :roll: :lol: ):

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_ ... order/true .....14th last year, currently 3rd.

lot of season left to be played. but anyway you look at it so far (save for a couple deadly double pumps that i'm sure cost us a lot of our 12 losses) the dude has improved nicely in the field. gotta give credit where credit is due.

Just look at the assist totals. Proof that the triple pump, take it to the bag is in full effect. He's awful in the field
    :lol:

okay dude.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    :think: :eh:

regarding the defense:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_ ... order/true ...finished 14th in nl last year. currently in 1st.

and to appease our new age fans, although sabermetrics defense is still a work in progress ( :roll: :lol: ):

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_ ... order/true .....14th last year, currently 3rd.

lot of season left to be played. but anyway you look at it so far (save for a couple deadly double pumps that i'm sure cost us a lot of our 12 losses) the dude has improved nicely in the field. gotta give credit where credit is due.

Just look at the assist totals. Proof that the triple pump, take it to the bag is in full effect. He's awful in the field

okay dude.

solid comeback. Great insight
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

okay dude.

solid comeback. Great insight

you think? i thought i could have offered more.

its just funny how you focus on that and not on the fact he's leading nl first basemen in fielding percentage. zero errors a quarter of the way into the season for a guy who lead league in them the last 2 seasons is an improvement, to say the least.

fan graph's has him ranked 3rd after being 14th last year: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 2011&ind=0 --meant to post that before but instead put the espn link up twice. bottom line is he's improved.

looks your boy baez is in for mop up duty right now. i'm at work, glad i can't watch this one today. yuck.
    www.myspace.com
    nice catch howard :lol:
    ha!---what did he make his first error of the season? that would be phenomenal timing :lol:
    www.myspace.com

its just funny how you focus on that and not on the fact he's leading nl first basemen in fielding percentage. zero errors a quarter of the way into the season for a guy who lead league in them the last 2 seasons is an improvement, to say the least.

fan graph's has him ranked 3rd after being 14th last year: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 2011&ind=0 --meant to post that before but instead put the espn link up twice. bottom line is he's improved.

looks your boy baez is in for mop up duty right now. i'm at work, glad i can't watch this one today. yuck.

fielding percentage means he catches what is hit to him. If you take his entire defensive repetoire (or lackthereof) into account, you will see that he is far below average.

Range - Below average
    Throwing - Terrible
    Catching balls hit right at him (fielding percentage) - Average

He's not good in the field. Stay blindly loyal if you must, but you're wrong on this one.

Being improved from horrendous to not good isn't much of an accomplishment.
    These phils jerseys would be sweet if they said philadelphia across the front. Except for the red back pockets. Much better than their normal unis
    The Fixer wrote:

fielding percentage means he catches what is hit to him. If you take his entire defensive repetoire (or lackthereof) into account, you will see that he is far below average.

Range - Below average
    Throwing - Terrible
    Catching balls hit right at him (fielding percentage) - Average

He's not good in the field. Stay blindly loyal if you must, but you're wrong on this one.

Being improved from horrendous to not good isn't much of an accomplishment.

"blindly loyal"--haha....what? :lol: your devotion to andy reid is best described this way so i guess you would know about this best. hardly think it applies here though.

anyway the part i bolded and underlined is the only point i was making. glad to see you agree

and nice of you to quantify your opinion by listing more opinions on his "range/throwing and catching balls hit right at him."

he's not a good defensive player by any stretch of the imagination. but so far this season, he's improved nicely from '10. long way to go though.

rally caps. rally caps. this one's not over yet.
    www.myspace.com

and nice of you to quantify your opinion by listing more opinions on his "range/throwing and catching balls hit right at him."

he's not a good defensive player by any stretch of the imagination. but so far this season, he's improved nicely from '10. long way to go though.

look at his UZR and RF...you will see he's average.

fielding percentage doesn't take range (ie, number of chances) or throws into account. It's only a percentage of balls cleanly handled...otherwise known as balls hit to someone. those aren't my opinions dude.

he stinks defensively as you stated. that's all I was saying.

the season is 6 weeks old. too small of a sample size to determine anything...as proven by guys like russ martin, lance berkman, jeff francoeur.

kimbrell is a beast
    The Fixer wrote:

fielding percentage doesn't take range (ie, number of chances) or throws into account. It's only a percentage of balls cleanly handled...otherwise known as balls hit to someone. those aren't my opinions dude.

the season is 6 weeks old. too small of a sample size to determine anything...as proven by guys like russ martin, lance berkman, jeff francoeur.

kimbrell is a beast

average at best is how i would put it, agreed. that's the point. he used to stink (i never said he stinks this year--never "stated" that). but average, at best is about where he's at now imo, and i'm fine with that.

and of course the sample size is small, as i have noted at least 3 times in this conversation (including my first post ;) ). it's a long season, but the improvement a quarter of the way through has been nice to see.

wasn't confident about today's game going in.

big game tomorrow. GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,408
    Odds are not in our favor when Blanton is pitching vs. Jurrgens.

What will it take to get Blanton out of the rotation, since Worley pitches awesome whenever asked?

Also, Kendrick has no business being on this roster. Those tack-on runs (Romero too) lost the game today.

Howard hit that ball really hard right up the middle in the 9th - shift takes away tons of hits for him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    The Fixer wrote:

kimbrell is a beast

You are praying for Martin to fail. haha. Like I said last night, he has a better chance to keep it up more than the other two due to age alone.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    hey eagle...accept me on fb
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Odds are not in our favor when Blanton is pitching vs. Jurrgens.

What will it take to get Blanton out of the rotation, since Worley pitches awesome whenever asked?

Also, Kendrick has no business being on this roster. Those tack-on runs (Romero too) lost the game today.

Howard hit that ball really hard right up the middle in the 9th - shift takes away tons of hits for him.

blanton wasn't the reason they lost yesterday. he pitched OK

if you want to talk about kendrick/romero or the shitty lineup, then you have a point. romero is terrible
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,408
    The Fixer wrote:

if you want to talk about kendrick/romero or the shitty lineup, then you have a point. romero is terrible

Right, but you are talking about your starter pitching 5 innings which leads to use of the dregs of the bullpen. Blanton did end up having a decent start.

They're not paying Romero that much - can't they just cut him? Zagurski is probably better.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Right, but you are talking about your starter pitching 5 innings which leads to use of the dregs of the bullpen. Blanton did end up having a decent start.

They're not paying Romero that much - can't they just cut him? Zagurski is probably better.

He only threw 74 pitches. I'm sure he could have gone another inning or two. That was the genius manager's decision
    My next game is thursday. I'm hoping that's the night utley returns.

Also luck out and get JB :?
    The Fixer wrote:

just tough when you're going up against a pitcher who has the phils number to give up 2 right off the bat.

the good doctor against hudson today. should be a good one.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

just tough when you're going up against a pitcher who has the phils number to give up 2 right off the bat.

sure, but it was only 2 runs. Lee allows 2 in the first and no one says a peep. Philly.com today you see the headlines 'blanton rocked and phils lose'. That's not right. He let up 2 runs...the offense had 3 hits.

Anyway, hopefully the offense can score some runs for halladay today.
    The Fixer wrote:
    [

sure, but it was only 2 runs. Lee allows 2 in the first and no one says a peep. Philly.com today you see the headlines 'blanton rocked and phils lose'. That's not right. He let up 2 runs...the offense had 3 hits.

to be fair it says "Blanton Rocked Early." ....but not gonna win with 3 hits though obviously.

need this one today.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

to be fair it says "Blanton Rocked Early." ....but not gonna win with 3 hits though obviously.

need this one today.

yeah, I didn't read the article because the headline was so dumb.

2 runs is rocked? that's news to me
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

need this one today.

yeah, I didn't read the article because the headline was so dumb.

2 runs is rocked? that's news to me

technically 2 solo shots to start the game would be rocked early. :lol:

it's all semantics!
    www.myspace.com
    powder blue today boys.

thought they looked like the red sox yesterday...
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    powder blue today boys.

Was down at the Italian Market festival yesterday and was holed up in a bar because of the rain and every time I glanced at the TV i had no clue who was who yesterday. Manuel looked funny.
    bob brookover...spot on as usual. is thursday really a realistic return date for chase?:

Inside the Phillies: After six weeks, Phillies are still class of NL East

By Bob Brookover

By the end of the weekend, the Phillies will have played at least two series against each of their National League East rivals and three series against the Atlanta Braves, the team considered the biggest threat to deny them a fifth straight division title.

We've learned from the first six weeks that the division is improved, but there is no reason to believe either the Braves or the Florida Marlins are ready to dethrone the Phillies as NL East champs.
    Chase Utley, making a play at second in Clearwater, Fla., should give the Phillies lineup a big boost upon his return.

Sure, the Phillies have had their offensive issues, scoring three runs or fewer in 19 of their first 38 games. That's not good, but it's not much worse than the Braves or the Marlins. Atlanta, in fact, had scored three or fewer in 18 of its first 41 games and Florida had scored three or fewer in 14 of its first 38.

The Phillies have done remarkably well at winning even when they don't score. Their record was 8-11 when scoring three or fewer. By comparison, the Braves were 3-15 and the Marlins were 3-11. That also means the Phillies were 17-2 whenever they scored more than three runs.

At this point, the Braves and Marlins are slightly better than the Phillies offensively. The Phillies, however, have the best chance of improving in that department during the course of the season simply because they expect to get second baseman Chase Utley back in their lineup relatively soon.

"One person can mean a lot," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said last week. "That can definitely have a lot of effect, especially the caliber of player Chase is. We're going to get better."

A National League scout with a vast knowledge of the NL East remains convinced the Phillies are the class of the division.

"The Phillies are still the team to beat for a number of reasons," the scout said. "No. 1, they have a lot of guys who have been through this before, and they know how to get through a season. It's difficult to get through a season and win, and they have guys who have been through it several times. There is a lot to be said for that experience.

"No. 2, their starting pitching is clearly the best. The other two teams have good starting pitching, but I think the Phillies' is better."

Pitching is the primary reason the Braves and Marlins have entered the debate as to which team is the best in the division, although Florida does not really belong in the discussion.

The Braves entered the weekend with the best team ERA in the National League, with the Phillies second. The Marlins have a sensational ace in Josh Johnson, but their depth cannot compare to the Phillies' or Braves'.

It could be argued that with the emergence of Tommy Hanson, Brandon Beachy, and Jair Jurrjens, the Braves have the best trio of pitchers 25 years or younger in baseball. They are a terrific complement to veterans Tim Hudson and Derek Lowe, and Atlanta also has a sensational pitching prospect at triple-A Gwinnett Valley in Julio Teheran.

Do the Braves have a better rotation than the Phillies' top five? That could depend on how Roy Oswalt returns from his back injury, but if Oswalt is still Oswalt, the top of the Phillies' rotation is still better than Atlanta's top.

As good as the Braves' three young starters have been through the first six weeks, however, they have a combined 68 career victories, five fewer than Joe Blanton, the weakest link in the Phillies' rotation.

With projected closer Brad Lidge and his replacement, Jose Contreras, both on the disabled list for the Phillies, the inclination is to say the Braves have a superior bullpen. But Ryan Madson has always had the arm to be a closer, and now he seems hell-bent on capitalizing on his latest opportunity to take over the role while also jacking up his free-agent price following the season.

The Phillies also have an influx of young arms (Michael Stutes, Antonio Bastardo, and Vance Worley) that have bolstered their bullpen, so there is no reason to cede the bullpen advantage to the Braves.

The key to the Phillies' quest for a fifth straight division title is Utley. There is no way to know how his right knee is going to react to the rigors of a big-league schedule, but even if he is only 80 percent of his former self, it is better than 100 percent of the platoon of Pete Orr and Wilson Valdez.

A lineup with Jimmy Rollins, Shane Victorino, Utley, Ryan Howard, and Placido Polanco in the top five slots also strengthens the bottom of the order.

"I am really curious to see how this plays out," a National League scout said when asked about Utley's return. "Who knows? This could go a number of ways. He might step right back in there and be the same Chase, and by June 15 we're not even talking about it anymore.

"He could also come back and not be the same guy, and then Charlie has to start giving him days off and replacing him in the late innings. He's still a good player, but not the same. And then there's also a chance we'll see a noticeable decline in his skills because of this chronic condition. Knowing Chase, I think he'll come back and be the guy he has always been."

Regardless, the timing of Utley's return is good for the Phillies. Barring a setback in his rehab, the team will have plenty of time to see what level of play their second baseman can give them before the July 31 trade deadline and then act accordingly.

With Domonic Brown at triple-A Lehigh Valley, the Phillies also have the best offensive weapon stashed away in the minor leagues among the teams competing for the division title.

Yes, the Braves have terrific pitching, and the Marlins are a good, young team on the rise, but there is no reason to believe through the first six weeks that either team is ready to dethrone the Phillies.
    www.myspace.com
    powder blue today boys.

powder blue is for chicks. I hate these unis
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    powder blue today boys.

powder blue is for chicks. I hate these unis
    Powder Blues Rock!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    I can't take ibanez any more. He's Pedro Feliz reincarnated
    atta boy mayberrry. what a shot!
    www.myspace.com
    atta boy mayberrry. what a shot!

that was a laser. he's giving them great ABs today. refeshing to see someone on this team have an approach at the plate
This discussion has been closed.