***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I don't want to blow people's minds with xFIP, but this is a good read.

5 for $85...done

http://www.brotherlyglove.com/?p=2061
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    as I said last week, beltran would be perfect in RF for this team. make it happen raj

In a season in which teams are scratching for runs and general managers are scanning other teams' rosters and trying to identify players who could be potential trade targets, Carlos Beltran is developing into a very interesting option. He slammed three homers on Thursday and is hitting .295 with eight homers, a .387 on-base percentage and a .590 slugging percentage.

Beltran, who's eligible for free agency in the fall, is making a whopping $18.5 million this year, and it will be interesting to see how his salary plays into other teams' pursuit of him. Last year, only two teams -- the Rangers and the Yankees -- spent $5 million or more in midseason additions. If Beltran were to be traded at midseason without the Mets kicking in any money, his next team would be on the hook for $9 million.

Presumably, the Mets will wind up kicking in some money to offset the salary, but the better that Beltran plays, the better his trade value will be as one of the very few available position players who could be a difference-maker. New York could wind up getting a decent prospect in return for him if he continues to play this well.

From Stats & Info: Beltran became the eighth Met to hit three home runs in a game -- and the first since Jose Reyes in 2006. Two of his home runs Thursday came off pitches that were up and away. Of his eight home runs this season, half have come on pitches in that location. Since 2008, Beltran is hitting .325 and slugging .695, and has belted 14 home runs on pitches up and away. The 14 homers are the most he has hit among the nine pitch locations even though he has seen more pitches in two other spots: down and away and down and in.

Beltran is the first player this season with a three-homer game. Last year, there were 13 such games. The last four players to hit three or more home runs in a game at Coors Field were visitors. Dustin Pedroia was the most recent, in 2010. From Elias: Carlos Beltran homered to all three fields (left, center, right). The only player to do that in one game last season was Adam Dunn.

milton bradley.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    as I said last week, beltran would be perfect in RF for this team. make it happen raj

In a season in which teams are scratching for runs and general managers are scanning other teams' rosters and trying to identify players who could be potential trade targets, Carlos Beltran is developing into a very interesting option. He slammed three homers on Thursday and is hitting .295 with eight homers, a .387 on-base percentage and a .590 slugging percentage.

Beltran, who's eligible for free agency in the fall, is making a whopping $18.5 million this year, and it will be interesting to see how his salary plays into other teams' pursuit of him. Last year, only two teams -- the Rangers and the Yankees -- spent $5 million or more in midseason additions. If Beltran were to be traded at midseason without the Mets kicking in any money, his next team would be on the hook for $9 million.

Presumably, the Mets will wind up kicking in some money to offset the salary, but the better that Beltran plays, the better his trade value will be as one of the very few available position players who could be a difference-maker. New York could wind up getting a decent prospect in return for him if he continues to play this well.

From Stats & Info: Beltran became the eighth Met to hit three home runs in a game -- and the first since Jose Reyes in 2006. Two of his home runs Thursday came off pitches that were up and away. Of his eight home runs this season, half have come on pitches in that location. Since 2008, Beltran is hitting .325 and slugging .695, and has belted 14 home runs on pitches up and away. The 14 homers are the most he has hit among the nine pitch locations even though he has seen more pitches in two other spots: down and away and down and in.

Beltran is the first player this season with a three-homer game. Last year, there were 13 such games. The last four players to hit three or more home runs in a game at Coors Field were visitors. Dustin Pedroia was the most recent, in 2010. From Elias: Carlos Beltran homered to all three fields (left, center, right). The only player to do that in one game last season was Adam Dunn.

milton bradley.

I don't see what the problem with signing him would be. doesn't cost anything (money or prospects) and no risk (if he sucks, you cut him).

he's gotta be better than ibanez, martinez, valdez

and nothing will ever top your defense of pedro feliz
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

milton bradley.

Pjhawks Gload comment in 543........
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

milton bradley.

Pjhawks Gload comment in 543........

is it me or does ross gload look like the T-1000 from terminator 2?
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,408
    Anyone ever go to Reading Phillies games? We're going Sunday to try to get the little guy used to the ballpark. He's not ready for the majors yet.

Any advice on parking, stuff to eat & drink, things to do???
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Anyone ever go to Reading Phillies games? We're going Sunday to try to get the little guy used to the ballpark. He's not ready for the majors yet.

Any advice on parking, stuff to eat & drink, things to do???

Had to go once for a work event. Actually got to see Hughes/Mathieson

We sat in the OF bleachers. They had a cool area to sit and watch the game. Grill with burgers and dogs...and beer. Buffet style serving. Was right up my alley

This was back in '06/'07 so I have no idea if it's still the same setup. I've killed a lot of brain cells since then :D
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,437
    edited May 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy,i think what he's trying to say is that because of are 5th hitter Howard gets shit to hit. Does Howard look real bad and swing at too much junk for sure. But it's hard to knock in RBI's when you rarely get a fastball or see a strike. We have 2.5 hitters in are lineup at the moment so completely pitching around Howard is alot easier then pitching around the Yanks 4 hitter.

this never bothered bonds when he had pedro feliz hitting behind him. or pujols with a washed up jim edmonds behind him.

the lineup protection thing is nonsense. good hitters should be able to hit any type of pitch

and it's not bothering ryan because he has been damn productive this year as usual.

my biggest argument against fixer and cliffy is you two suggest that anyone could drive in the runs that Arod and Howard do if they were in the same spot and i call that utter nonsense. only a handful or more could. if it was true Jimmy Rollins would be in the top 5 in RBIs since he spent the 1st 75% of the season hitting behind a guy who was leading the league in on-base percentage at the time - oh and he had a whopping 5 RBIs in those 1st 30 games with that. not quite as easy as you say.

and i'll take an above average but productive OBS on a great team over a we-suck-but-i-got-3-hits-when-the-game-was-7-0 guy any day of the week. as i said before ill take 1 for 4 with a big hit in a big spot for agood team over a meaningless hit late in a game that means nothing.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,408
    pjhawks wrote:
    and it's not bothering ryan because he has been damn productive this year as usual.

my biggest argument against fixer and cliffy is you two suggest that anyone could drive in the runs that Arod and Howard do if they were in the same spot and i call that utter nonsense. only a handful or more could. if it was true Jimmy Rollins would be in the top 5 in RBIs since he spent the 1st 75% of the season hitting behind a guy who was leading the league in on-base percentage at the time - oh and he had a whopping 5 RBIs in those 1st 30 games with that. not quite as easy as you say.

He's beating a dead horse here, as usual, but J-Roll's lack of RBI's hitting behind Polly was telling. There's something to be said for a player who gets on base vs. a player who clears the bases.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy,i think what he's trying to say is that because of are 5th hitter Howard gets shit to hit. Does Howard look real bad and swing at too much junk for sure. But it's hard to knock in RBI's when you rarely get a fastball or see a strike. We have 2.5 hitters in are lineup at the moment so completely pitching around Howard is alot easier then pitching around the Yanks 4 hitter.

this never bothered bonds when he had pedro feliz hitting behind him. or pujols with a washed up jim edmonds behind him.

the lineup protection thing is nonsense. good hitters should be able to hit any type of pitch

did you read the article cliffy sent? howard has the most ABs with runners on base in MLB. and it's not even close.

any good hitter will knock in runs if they are in the right spot of the lineup. RBI are more indicative of lineup production than individual performance. (that's not a knock on howard...just pointing out that RBI are an awful way to gauge individual performance).
    pjhawks wrote:

He's beating a dead horse here, as usual, but J-Roll's lack of RBI's hitting behind Polly was telling. There's something to be said for a player who gets on base vs. a player who clears the bases.

yes i know i am but just once i want Fixer and Cliffy to acknoledge its not quite as easy as they say and anyone can't do it.

anyway can't wait to watch the best record in baseball take on that 3rd place team tonight.

of course i'm sure we will hear about any Ks from the 4th hitter (but nothing about his man-crush striking out against a single-A guy last night haha).
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

yes i know i am but just once i want Fixer and Cliffy to acknoledge its not quite as easy as they say and anyone can't do it.

anyway can't wait to watch the best record in baseball take on that 3rd place team tonight.

of course i'm sure we will hear about any Ks from the 4th hitter (but nothing about his man-crush striking out against a single-A guy last night haha).

rico brogna was the phils cleanup hitter in the late 90s. he had back to back 100 RBI seasons for them. do you think he's a good hitter? I don't
    The Fixer wrote:
    did you read the article cliffy sent? howard has the most ABs with runners on base in MLB. and it's not even close.

any good hitter will knock in runs if they are in the right spot of the lineup. RBI are more indicative of lineup production than individual performance. (that's not a knock on howard...just pointing out that RBI are an awful way to gauge individual performance).

but wait our offense is awful isn't it?????????????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

and i dispute that anyone would drive in the same amount of runs - see Rollins, Jimmy - but ignore that for your own arguments.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

and i dispute that anyone would drive in the same amount of runs - see Rollins, Jimmy - but ignore that for your own arguments.

their offense is not good enough to reach their goal of winning it all (even when their best hitter returns later this month).

not sure why you want to keep bringing up rollins? he was hitting third for a month. you really want to put a lot of worth into that? as usual, you need a stronger case dude. you really need to stick to college hoops
    The Fixer wrote:
    rico brogna was the phils cleanup hitter in the late 90s. he had back to back 100 RBI seasons for them. do you think he's a good hitter? I don't

he actually wasn't a bad hitter. I'm sure you can look up his WAR and OPS OBS and STFU stats but i don't need to look them up to make a judgment. can you think for yourself or do you only get information from a spreadsheet?

and if your braves are going to take over 1st by memorial day (17 days) they might want to take at least 2 out 3 this series (or should they worry about getting into 2nd place 1st?)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

You can't compare a middle infielder to a power hitting first baseman. Of course Rollins isn't going to drive in the same number as Howard because he doesn't have the power.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

You can't compare a middle infielder to a power hitting first baseman. Of course Rollins isn't going to drive in the same number as Howard because he doesn't have the power.

I'm thinking his point is that the same guys are on base when Howards's up as Rollins for the most part. As noted before Hr's aren't the only way to get RBI's so power isn't a valid reason imo.
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he actually wasn't a bad hitter. I'm sure you can look up his WAR and OPS OBS and STFU stats but i don't need to look them up to make a judgment. can you think for yourself or do you only get information from a spreadsheet?

and if your braves are going to take over 1st by memorial day (17 days) they might want to take at least 2 out 3 this series (or should they worry about getting into 2nd place 1st?)

Quality post. Especially your first line :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I'm thinking his point is that the same guys are on base when Howards's up as Rollins for the most part. As noted before Hr's aren't the only way to get RBI's so power isn't a valid reason imo.

Power is a valid reason because the harder you hit the ball the more likely it is to find the ground, or seats. No one would argue Rollins specifically would have the same number of RBIs but there are plenty of players that would.

If Jeter who is a first ballot hall of famer batted cleanup in his prime, he wouldn't have the RBI numbers of Arod.

You can't compare a player like Rollins or Jeter to a player like Howard. Of course they would never have the same number of RBIs.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Power is a valid reason because the harder you hit the ball the more likely it is to find the ground, or seats. No one would argue Rollins specifically would have the same number of RBIs but there are plenty of players that would.

If Jeter who is a first ballot hall of famer batted cleanup in his prime, he wouldn't have the RBI numbers of Arod.

You can't compare a player like Rollins or Jeter to a player like Howard. Of course they would never have the same number of RBIs.
    I'm not comparing them,i'm saying his point imo is that not every good player can produce great numbers. It takes a special player to knock in 680 RBI's in 5yrs.
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited May 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

wel i'd say .265 21 homers and around 95 RBIs averages and 152 games played averaged for 3 years in Philly is spot on 'NOT BAD' as i said. not great, but not bad is it not?

see i didn't need those stats to know he was 'not bad' but my memory serves me correct once i did look those up.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not comparing them,i'm saying his point imo is that not every good player can produce great numbers. It takes a special player to knock in 680 RBI's in 5yrs.

With a special team around him.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

wel i'd say .265 21 homers and around 95 RBIs averages and 152 games played averaged for 3 years in Philly is spot on 'NOT BAD' as i said. not great, but not bad is it not?

He sucked as a hitter dude. By far his best asset was his glove.

As if RBI wasn't bad enough, now we are using games played to gauge talent. Ugh, we are going in the wrong direction. I give up
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

see i didn't need those stats to know he was 'not bad' but my memory serves me correct once i did look those up.

Those numbers are replacement level at best.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i said NOT BAD - do you guys understand english? jeezus h. christ i didn't say the guy was ryan fucking howard or even jimmy fucking rollins. i said NOT BAD. if .260 sucks and replacement level then 90% of major leaguers suck according to you guys. my god.....
    pjhawks wrote:
    i said NOT BAD - do you guys understand english? jeezus h. christ i didn't say the guy was ryan fucking howard or even jimmy fucking rollins. i said NOT BAD. if .260 sucks and replacement level then 90% of major leaguers suck according to you guys. my god.....

Maybe the reason you like Ryan Howard so much is because you have low expectations. Morgan Ensberg hit .263 for his career for fucks sake.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Maybe the reason you like Ryan Howard so much is because you have low expectations. Morgan Ensberg hit .263 for his career for fucks sake.

you do know i was talking about rico brogna do you not? i know you come from new york so some things don't take so well :roll: :roll: :roll:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

you do know i was talking about rico brogna do you not? i know you come from new york so some things don't take so well :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am aware of who you are talking about, point was if you think .260 is not bad, you have pretty low expectations of a hitter.
    you four are insufferable. jeez.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

also, I didn't have to look anything up. I'm a phils fan, I follow them closely, and I remember stuff like this.

After looking into ole rico's stats I did notice that he has a career OBP of .320. His career WAR is -1.9 :lol::lol::lol: . I wouldn't call that 'Not Bad'...I would call it terrible.

Didn't think I'd see it, but this tops the Zach Duke defense
This discussion has been closed.