***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Section 220 great seats,u can see everything. I'll be in section 113 on friday night to see Cliff Lee on the hill. Ruben Amaro walked right by me when we were there.
    i hope you had some tissues on hand :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Welp, all I know is this is the biggest boost to Obama having a chance of being re-elected. So that's cool.

yeah, he's done such a great job :? :? :?

I was actually driving from havertown to DC on sunday night when the bin laden shit broke. pretty cool down here this week. cops out the ass...they are everywhere.
    You know JP, my initial gut reaction was kind of similar to yours. But, this is the guy who plotted and killed thousands of Americans, and we should be happy he's dead. Obviously the war on terror is nowhere near over, and getting on an airplane is worse than ever. But it's something.

So they replace Joe Morgan with Bobby Valentine. Way to go ESPN. :roll: Sounds like my company's succession of CEO's...

i'm fine with shulman (reminds me of a younger sean mcdonough) and okay with hershiser.....but valentine is awful

hershiser is great (even though he went to the fixer's archrival cherry hill east)...and shulman is pretty good (even though he's canadian).

valentine is a tool.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    The Fixer wrote:
    can't believe that went out. hate to say it, but cbp is a joke

You know, I never hear the Yankees fans bitching about their players hitting homers in their hitter-friendly ballpark. Nothing wrong with building your team and playing to the quirks of your home park.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    The Fixer wrote:

You know, I never hear the Yankees fans bitching about their players hitting homers in their hitter-friendly ballpark. Nothing wrong with building your team and playing to the quirks of your home park.

it's such a joke we will never get free agrents or good pitchers to come here.....oh wait, sorry Mr. Smoltz

so does Raul break the Phils record for consecutive at-bats without a hit? he is at 34 and the record is 36. major league record is 46 i believe - think he can catch that one?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

it's such a joke we will never get free agrents or good pitchers to come here.....oh wait, sorry Mr. Smoltz

so does Raul break the Phils record for consecutive at-bats without a hit? he is at 34 and the record is 36. major league record is 46 i believe - think he can catch that one?

desi relaford is not someone you want to be associated with. it's painful to watch ibanez at the plate and in the field.

come on dom brown!
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

That's something the opposing fans should complain about not are's. It's almost the same thing as complaining about a pitcher that gets the right off the black strike. Is it really a ball yes but not at that monent and that's all that matters.
    Go Birds!!!!
    boos or cheers for werth tonight?

i'm saying predominently cheers with a few knuckleheads mixed in.

(i'm talking before the game actually starts obviously)
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

Cheer's his 1st at bat then boo afterwards is what i see.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    J-Roll leading off tonight
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Mostly boos...which is unfortunate
    Mrs Fixer has our tix tonight (I"m stuck in DC working a trade show)...the report...more boos than cheers in pregame.

hopefully that changes when werth comes up
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    seemed like a lot of cheers, (heard a few boos in the beginning)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Nice. Way to be. Some boos, followed by being drowned out by those who know better. A lot more.

Very well done. Aaaaaand now we move on.
    Nice. Way to be. Some boos, followed by being drowned out by those who know better. A lot more.

Very well done. Aaaaaand now we move on.

wife said more boos than cheers.

buddy said the radio guys were making fun of the fans. Franzke was talking about the booing...then that the ump was going out to dust off home plate. LA quote 'why so werth can hear more boos?'

I'm watching the Nats feed. sounded like more cheers to me

Anyone booing should be ejected. Fucking idiots

EDIT: buddy at the game said he got a standing O on his way out to RF. That's good to hear
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

buddy said the radio guys were making fun of the fans. Franzke was talking about the booing...then that the ump was going out to dust off home plate. LA quote 'why so werth can hear more boos?'

EDIT: buddy at the game said he got a standing O on his way out to RF. That's good to hear
    i'll never understand why fans boo someone for taking more money. i doubt they would reject 160 mil or whatever it is werth got over the next 7 years or how much any other athlete will make for that matter . that goes for all fans really.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i'll never understand why fans boo someone for taking more money. i doubt they would reject 160 mil or whatever it is werth got over the next 7 years or how much any other athlete will make for that matter . that goes for all fans really.

I don't get it either. Especially players like hamels and werth that helped win the city's first championship since 1983. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Hamels has his good shit tonight. DIrty
    Dude, no offense, but get over it. And it was more cheers than boos. I was watching it - it started with boos and cheers mixed, then the cheers took over. Enough that Jayson tipped his cap. And again, on his way to right field. I can't believe this is an even an issue.
    Dude, no offense, but get over it. And it was more cheers than boos. I was watching it - it started with boos and cheers mixed, then the cheers took over. Enough that Jayson tipped his cap. And again, on his way to right field. I can't believe this is an even an issue.

it's typical behavior.
    And I've been sayin it, one of these days Cole's going to stroke one.

Nats tool announcers said he hit one in the upper deck in RF during BP. Didnt think he was capable of that
    The Fixer wrote:

Nats tool announcers said he hit one in the upper deck in RF during BP. Didnt think he was capable of that

He's got a nice swing for a pitcher. It's funny how ballplayers can mostly all tear the cover off the ball, but once they get designated to being a pitcher it's like they've turned into vaginas when it comes to carrying a bat.
    The Fixer wrote:

RF fans know how to do it. 8-)

Nice single for Howard. :? Was he pushing twins in a jogging stroller or something?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Awesome game for Cole Hamels. 8-)

We've got some good pitchers. :D

man i love watching cole pitch. game was over by 9:45. that is awesome.

revamped lineup looked good.

raul avoids desi relaford territory.

and the crowd reaction was just like i thought it would be. boos drowned out by cheers, similar to donovan. nice of jw to to tip the cap. great moment. philly fans are classier than what most people think in times like that...however we'll never get credit for it of course. ;):lol:

19-9. boom. :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    That's 4 complete games for Phillies in 1st 28 games of the season. Year they won the World Series, they threw 4 CG all season.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

He's such a beast.

Nice seeing rollins hit some line drives. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come
    That's 4 complete games for Phillies in 1st 28 games of the season. Year they won the World Series, they threw 4 CG all season.

love the competition between the 4 of them. hamels mentioned it again while talking to sarge.

tom, muff, back to you.
    www.myspace.com
    headed down tonight. fucking awesome seats.

stupid rain better hold up...
    www.myspace.com
    Good summary. This was in the top 5 of amaro's worst moves as GM (along with trading Lee, howard contract, lidge contract). The good news is that Ibanez is gone in a few months...and corner OFs should be available as the trade deadline approaches.

Raul Ibanez's diminishing returnsThe Phillies outfielder's production has declined significantly this

Raul Ibanez appears to be at the end of his rope.

The Philadelphia Phillies left fielder has looked "done" in the past, frequently vacillating between stretches equally torrid and horrific, but his start to the 2011 season feels different.

One of the biggest traps fans and analysts fall into is prematurely declaring that a player has nothing left in the tank. A pre-formed narrative develops, a few weeks of poor play at the onset of the season fit that narrative, and assessments both quantitative and qualitative are molded to purvey the message. This idea of anchoring -- weighing performance at the start of the season more than at another point in time -- often leads to inaccurate conclusions, especially regarding older players who may be done.

For example, many deemed Carlos Delgado and David Ortiz finished during the 2008 season. Both got off to terrible starts -- Delgado hit .198/.297/.323 in April, with Big Papi following suit at .184/.294/.350. Delgado finished the season hitting .271/.353/.518, with 38 home runs, great numbers given the slow start and his age. Ortiz finished at .264/.369/.507. Comically enough, Ortiz was also written off after a 2009 campaign in which he hit .238/.332/.462. He silenced naysayers with a .270/.370/.529 showing last year. It's foolhardy to label a player as washed up, because in most cases we just don't know.

The Ibanez situation, however, appears different. While Delgado and Ortiz exhibited decent plate discipline and signs of life throughout their slow starts, Ibanez's numbers, both above and below the surface, belie a player who might actually be tapped for productivity.

He is striking out at a rate greater than at any point in his career -- and strikeout rate is one of the quickest stats to normalize, or become an indicator of true talent, early in the season. His isolated power is Ecksteinian. He is popping the ball up at his highest rate in four seasons. On the plate discipline spectrum, he is swinging at more pitches out of the strike zone than at any point since these stats were kept.

This represents a rather alarming trend when coupled with the fact he is actually being thrown more pitches out of the zone than ever before. Even more problematic is his career-worst rate of swings and misses -- his SwStr percentage is similar to those of Chris Young and Jack Cust, two notorious empty-swingers. Even when he fell into one of his patented funks, Ibanez was always able to make contact with the ball.

Now he is failing to lay off outside pitches, struggling to make contact with pitches in and out of the zone, swinging at almost everything and grounding the ball at a substantially higher rate than ever before. Ibanez has a career ground ball rate of approximately 43 percent. His rate this season is 56 percent. In other words, Ibanez is generating more ground balls than Derek Lowe.

His batting average on balls in play is plenty low at .217, but a big chunk of his struggles are attributable to making very poor contact when he does connect with the ball. Even with a hot second half last season, Ibanez amounted to nothing more than a league-average hitter, for a corner outfielder, with absolutely horrid fielding skills and a noodle arm. Add to that his ripe old age of 39, a seeming inability to catch up to fastballs and how he doesn't profile well in a platoon role, and it would actually be much tougher to make a case that he does have something left.

These are all signs that point to the end of a player's career. Ibanez will undoubtedly have a hot streak or two this season wherein Phillies fans and fantasy owners will convince themselves that he has regained his stroke. The streaks are temporary fixes, however, like using a piece of gum to plug a hole, and before we know it the Ibanez who looks his age will be back. Other players may have been prematurely written off in the past, but the same cannot be said of Ibanez. Practically everything he has shown so far this season suggests that he has reached the end of his career.
This discussion has been closed.