***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    this thread is comic gold

i would love to get all these goof balls in a room together

The Ryan Howard debate is worth my ten club membership alone.

haha i was debating about my $ 20 ....its almost time

but yea these goofy philly dudes are way over the top

they really remind me of the fans in major league
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How is that not twisting a stat? It's the same thing as me saying, well Ruth had a lower ERA over his first 4 seasons than Howard so he is clearly better. You can't even think about comparing Howard to Ruth over their first 4 seasons because they played completely different positions. Saying Howard has more home runs over his first 4 seasons or whatever, is fucking pointless.

Cause its a fact it's not Howards fault is it. A fact about hitting was named regardless of pitchers were included or not. Was Ruth better obviously and that was never said by me or anyone else that i read. To dismiss his numbers are wrong and the shit talking is even worse.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

A few of them get pretty worked up over it. I do partake in it quite a bit though.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

now, that the *where is snuggleton* thread is pooched - this is the storyline i follow most ... :lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How is that not twisting a stat? It's the same thing as me saying, well Ruth had a lower ERA over his first 4 seasons than Howard so he is clearly better. You can't even think about comparing Howard to Ruth over their first 4 seasons because they played completely different positions. Saying Howard has more home runs over his first 4 seasons or whatever, is fucking pointless.

it its. it's as if people forgot he was a pitcher....then again if you look at howard's first full 4 years and ruth's first 4 full years as a non pitcher, howard has 21 more homers. ruth only played in 110 games in 1922, so it would be about even had he been healthy.
    www.myspace.com
    baseball-reference.com is pure gold by the way. :clap:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

"it's too high..."

"what do you mean, too high?!?!" :x :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it its. it's as if people forgot he was a pitcher....then again if you look at howard's first full 4 years and ruth's first 4 full years as a non pitcher, howard has 21 more homers. ruth only played in 110 games in 1922, so it would be about even had he been healthy.

plus ruth played in parks almost twice the size of the banboxes of today

the howard vs ruth debate is the worst thing ever. garbage I'd expect to hear on 610.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cause its a fact it's not Howards fault is it. A fact about hitting was named regardless of pitchers were included or not. Was Ruth better obviously and that was never said by me or anyone else that i read. To dismiss his numbers are wrong and the shit talking is even worse.

My head hurts, I don't even know what to say. No, it is not Howards fault that Babe Ruth was originally a pitcher, I will agree with that.
    ITS NOT A DEBATE!!!!!!!!!!! FACT RYAN HOWARD IS THE FASTEST PLAYER IN MLB HISTORY TO 200HRS!!!!!!!
    FACT BABE RUTH WAS A MUCH BETTER PLAYER THEN HOWARD!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

plus ruth played in parks almost twice the size of the banboxes of today

...and not against black dudes. ;) baseball debates are awesome.

by no means am i comparing ruth to howard, but their hr numbers are similiar in that timeframe.

lets argue about ralph kiner now. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    ITS NOT A DEBATE!!!!!!!!!!! FACT RYAN HOWARD IS THE FASTEST PLAYER IN MLB HISTORY TO 200HRS!!!!!!!

dude....come on man.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989

.........CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!!

dude....come on man.
    Capital letters were a bit much!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!

dude....come on man.
    Capital letters were a bit much!!!!!!!!!!!!

so is your argument... :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    How?? please explain
    Go Birds!!!!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol::lol::lol:

previously on the phillies thread...

fixer and everyone else argued about ryan howard

then someone brought up babe ruth and everyone went apreshit

jamminpearls came in with all caps to show his frustration

as this was happening 2 yankees fans sat back and commented on how funny this was

someone mentioned ralph kiner ..but that didn't go very far

the juggler got nervous about the caps and said to slow down .....

next week...... once and for all..is howard better than ruth?
    will the jeagler jump off a bridge when lannan beats roy?

tune in to find out
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Look at 1919. He started 15 games and pitched to an ERA of about 3 while also having 542 plate appearances. I would think that has a little to do with the fact he only hit 29 home runs, but he did have an average of .322 and and OBP of .456
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Look at 1919. He started 15 games and pitched to an ERA of about 3 while also having 542 plate appearances. I would think that has a little to do with the fact he only hit 29 home runs, but he did have an average of .322 and and OBP of .456

what is this OBP you speak of?

only HRs and RBI matter!!
    OBP means shit if someone isn't knocking them in.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude, it's some insane advanced statistic all the kids are talking about these days. Get this, its measures how often a batter reaches base. Crazy, I know.
    OBP means shit if someone isn't knocking them in.

actually, there are plenty of ways for a guy to score without being 'knocked in'.

you have it backwards my friend...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude, it's some insane advanced statistic all the kids are talking about these days. Get this, its measures how often a batter reaches base. Crazy, I know.

Crazy isn't it? And if 4 guys reach base in a row, no one's hitting home runs or "knocking them in" and still scoring a run! Crazy!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

okay then take the next 4 years then. he hit 189 hrs. their hr #'s are similiar. not talking about avg and obp obviously.

wanna make it clear that i'm not siding with pjhawks (please god dont think that :lol: ) and jamming completely b/c they take this waaay too far. but if your just talking hr totals (and not anything else) for their first four comparable years as full time position players, their numbers are similiar. that's all i'm saying...and it's true.
    www.myspace.com
    okay then take the next 4 years then. he hit 189 hrs. their hr #'s are similiar. not talking about avg and obp obviously.

wanna make it clear that i'm not siding with pjhawks (please god dont think that :lol: ) and jamming b/c they take this waaay too far. but if your just talking hr totals (and not anything else) for their first four comparable years as full time position players, their numbers are similiar. that's all i'm saying...and it's true.

Fair enough. I would think the number of caveats pretty much states all anyone needs to know.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

wanna make it clear that i'm not siding with pjhawks (please god dont think that :lol: ) and jamming b/c they take this waaay too far. but if your just talking hr totals (and not anything else) for their first four comparable years as full time position players, their numbers are similiar. that's all i'm saying...and it's true.

Fair enough. I would think the number of caveats pretty much states all anyone needs to know.

:mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    ....aaaand, if everyone in the lineup continuously gets on base, the inning never ends, you rack up runs, and deplete the opponent's pitching staff. Again, crazy stuff, that OBP!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Crazy isn't it? And if 4 guys reach base in a row, no one's hitting home runs or "knocking them in" and still scoring a run! Crazy!

Insane, that just blew my mind.
    ....aaaand, if everyone in the lineup continuously gets on base, the inning never ends, you rack up runs, and deplete the opponent's pitching staff. Again, crazy stuff, that OBP!

mind-blown.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

mind-blown.jpg

That's as good as it's gonna get right there. I have officially LOL'd. Or something.
This discussion has been closed.