***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    so after 9 games, 8 of our starters are hitting over .300.

not too shabby.

nope not at all. Missed the game :oops: Glad to see the old Cole back :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    That was Hamels being the pitcher he is. This team is damn good i can't imagine how good we could be if and when Chase gets back. Take a peek at Werth's amazing numbers it must be nice to be rich.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    so after 9 games, 8 of our starters are hitting over .300.

not too shabby.

nope not at all. Missed the game :oops: Glad to see the old Cole back :)

There are 162 of them - it's hard to watch them all. I probably watch half of the Phillies games I see on DVR. Just avoid coming here until it's over... for me.

Awesome game for Cole. Great job pitching out of the minor jams in the last 2 innings.

I liked Howard's RBI groundout, but it won't help his WAR any. :P

Yeah I got the "Adam Eaton ticket plan" in 2007 and spent plenty of time booing him, so I'm right there with you Cole. 8-)

They said the 1993 Braves 4 top pitchers won 75 games. Sorry, but that's not gonna happen with this team. Of course, we all know W's don't mean anything, of course.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Felix won 13 games last year while aj Burnett won 10. Wins mean almost nothing.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Felix won 13 games last year while aj Burnett won 10. Wins mean almost nothing.

you know what he means. when people think of the '71 orioles rotation, they immediately think of four 20 game winners. phils rotation has been compared to them and the early '90's bravos.

obviously we all know wins are not everything when it comes to pitching stats. but thanks for telling us... again. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The Flyin' Hawaiian was killing the Braves. I love it.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    7 scoreless and a big middle finger to everyone who booed him in his first start of the year...get some, Cole ;)

Glad he "understood" the booing though.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    7 scoreless and a big middle finger to everyone who booed him in his first start of the year...get some, Cole ;)

that's a guy that gets it and gets us (although I agree the booing was ridiculous). smart enough not to make an issue of it. and love him talking about booing Adam Eaton as a kid. that was awesome.

and anyone else feel more comfortable with Contreras than Lidge? I mean if Lidge was going out there with 3 run leads in the 9th i'd still be nervous. with Contreras so far i haven't been. be interesting to see if Contreras can keep it up.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Great day for Cole

I hope for his sake this season doesn't repeat last year where the team struggled to score for him

Tough to pitch that way when in your mind you can't make a mistake because its only 1-0
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    pjhawks wrote:
    and anyone else feel more comfortable with Contreras than Lidge? I mean if Lidge was going out there with 3 run leads in the 9th i'd still be nervous. with Contreras so far i haven't been. be interesting to see if Contreras can keep it up.

Conreras was throwing 96 yesterday. He's a better closer than Lidge. He has to be, because he was able to pitch as a starter just a few years ago, which is a job that is many levels more difficult.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    pjhawks wrote:

Conreras was throwing 96 yesterday. He's a better closer than Lidge. He has to be, because he was able to pitch as a starter just a few years ago, which is a job that is many levels more difficult.

I only worry about his control at times

Walks will kill him
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I only worry about his control at times

Walks will kill him

Lidge walks guys too. Contreras is hands down a better pitcher. He's not gonna have a "perfect season" but he's also not gonna blow 11 saves and fall apart every time somebody steals a base.

I have next to no respect for the "closer" position, or even the idea of it. Lidge is the perfect example - a pampered player who pitches one inning in one certain kind of pre-defined situation. Besides Mariano, most of these guys are just glorified 7th starters.

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Flyin' Hawaiian was killing the Braves. I love it.

yeah, except for the ball that he dropped that probably cost them game 1 of the series

like I said, if I were him and the philly fans booed me I would have walked off the mound with both middle fingers extended.

he's awesome. I hope he pitches like that all year.
    Have some meetings in DC on thursday, so I was thinking about hitting the phils game. Was really hoping flyers would start on Wednesday.

Decisions, decisions
    The Fixer wrote:
    Have some meetings in DC on thursday, so I was thinking about hitting the phils game. Was really hoping flyers would start on Wednesday.

Decisions, decisions

thursday should be Lee's start vs. game 1 of the Flyers. I say take the Phils game. Plus no way Lee get lit up again so should be a good outing. Flyers series doesn't really start until they lose a game (although don't have a great feeling this series).
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Decisions, decisions

thursday should be Lee's start vs. game 1 of the Flyers. I say take the Phils game. Plus no way Lee get lit up again so should be a good outing. Flyers series doesn't really start until they lose a game (although don't have a great feeling this series).

Yeah, Lee is pitching thursday. I have tix on my plan this friday up here.

I'd really like to see the new nats stadium...haven't been there yet. There are still plenty of good seats available on tm. I'm torn on this one. I do love watching the flyers playoff games.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Fixer, I would go to that game. The people I went with last year I planning a HUGE takeover of that park for that game. See if you can crash their tailgate beforehand as well - free food, free beer on tap from beer trucks.
    Fixer, I would go to that game. The people I went with last year I planning a HUGE takeover of that park for that game. See if you can crash their tailgate beforehand as well - free food, free beer on tap from beer trucks.

Nice. I'm leaning towards going. I'm sure there are sports bars in the area, so maybe I could catch the 3rd period.

If you don't mind, try to find out where the tailgate is going to be.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I went to the Nat's stadium for opening day last year and the Phil's crowd was overwhelming. Beautiful park, and great place to be the visiting team since you will no doubt still feel like the home team. Added bonus: Traveling to boo Jayson Werth.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE!!!

The Fixer wrote:

Nice. I'm leaning towards going. I'm sure there are sports bars in the area, so maybe I could catch the 3rd period.

dude, you can hop on a rickshaw after the game and take that directly to the bars. at least, that's what me and my drunk ass friends did last year.

yes, rickshaws are prevalent around nationals park :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    CAREFUL MY BOY FROM LONG BEACH LANNAN is going bust your ass
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

whatever you do, don't wager on the game.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

whatever you do, don't wager on the game.

i bet him every game ...gotta support my peeps
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    The Fixer wrote:

Fixer, I can't remember exactly, but it was right up the road from the park, near the river, and bordered on both sides by Industrial brick buildings. It was in a sandlot because they don't allow tailgating in their parking lots. That's about all I got.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    They don't allow tailgating. Well that just sucks. :lol:

I remember when my friends came out to Philly from California, they were astonished that you could just hang out in the lot drinking and the cops didn't bother you.

I said, as long as no one is hurting any one, what's the harm?
    joe savery, former phils 1st round pick as a pitcher was converted to first base this year. He played first at Rice when he wasn't pitching (and DH'd some).

It's still early in the year and it's a tiny sample size, but he is 14 for 18 with a HR.

Cool story. Hopefully he can make a push to get to the majors...even if it's not with the phils
    The Fixer wrote:
    joe savery, former phils 1st round pick as a pitcher was converted to first base this year. He played first at Rice when he wasn't pitching (and DH'd some).

It's still early in the year and it's a tiny sample size, but he is 14 for 18 with a HR.

Cool story. Hopefully he can make a push to get to the majors...even if it's not with the phils

we are probably better off with him at 1st base than ryan howard :roll: :roll: :roll:
    The Fixer wrote:

oddly enough, there's an article in today's paper about savery.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... agues.html
This discussion has been closed.