***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    joe savery, former phils 1st round pick as a pitcher was converted to first base this year. He played first at Rice when he wasn't pitching (and DH'd some).

It's still early in the year and it's a tiny sample size, but he is 14 for 18 with a HR.

Cool story. Hopefully he can make a push to get to the majors...even if it's not with the phils

oddly enough, there's an article in today's paper about savery.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... agues.html

Saw that. It's early, but better than a washed up pitcher.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Johnny, you will enjoy this from keith law.

I'd like to propose the creation of a new statistic, an accounting stat for relievers that might help separate out a little of the noise from the generally awful save statistic. The new figure won't have much, if any, predictive value, but would merely exist for what I call "accounting" purposes -- a record of what happened for the curious or trivially-inclined, but of little use for looking ahead. It's for fun, and I deny any responsibility for harm that comes to you or your loved ones for unapproved or unauthorized usage.

I hate the save.

Ill-Gotten Saves
    All-time leaders in saves while giving up at least one run:

Rank Player Total
    1 Trevor Hoffman 53
    2 Lee Smith 48
    3 Jeff Reardon 46
    4 John Franco 46
    5 John Wetteland 44
    6 Mariano Rivera 44
    7 Bruce Sutter 43
    8 Dan Quisenberry 43
    9 Dennis Eckersley 41
    10 Troy Percival 40
    11 Todd Jones 40
    12 Robb Nen 39
    13 Gene Garber 37
    14 Rod Beck 37
    15 Rick Aguilera 36
    16 Hoyt Wilhelm 35
    17 Randy Myers 35
    18 Jose Mesa 34
    19 Roberto Hernandez 34
    20 Rollie Fingers 34

I do. It's a number whose existence implies meaning that isn't there, a reckoning that has altered bullpen usage, roster construction, and the game's salary structure, thanks to two generations of managers, pitching coaches, and front-office executives who grew up hearing relievers praised for high save totals and others excoriated for their apparent inability to handle the pressure of the ninth inning.

The save falls into the worst category of counting statistics, those that depend on context as much as -- or more than -- they depend on the individual player's performance. The pitcher win is a good example, while the RBI is the Laurent Gbagbo of baseball stats, refusing to bow out gracefully even when its time has clearly come. (I promise to give the RBI a fair trial and painless execution when its day of reckoning finally arrives.)

The save gives a performance by a pitcher additional weight based on the score and inning, rather than based on the pitcher's actual performance. Consider: Three outs in the ninth with a three-run lead gets you a save, but the same three outs recorded in a tie game, which is higher-leverage work, do not.

That example gets at a minor criticism of the save -- that is, a pitcher can pitch poorly and still get one. With a three-run lead, a closer can give up two runs in his inning of work and still notch the save, even though I don't think many analysts would consider the 2:1 runs allowed-to-innings ratio an acceptable one. Yet we have no line in our ledger to reflect these pseudo-saves, to show that while the reliever fiddled, Rome reached medium well before the fire was finally extinguished.

Really Ill-Gotten Saves
    All-time leaders in saves while giving up at least one run in no more than one inning of work:

Rank Player Total
    1 Trevor Hoffman 47
    2 Troy Percival 37
    3 Todd Jones 35
    4 John Wetteland 34
    5 Robb Nen 33
    6 Mariano Rivera 30
    7 Jose Mesa 30
    8 Brad Lidge 29
    9 John Franco 29
    10 Armando Benitez 28

With the glorious Play Index at baseball-reference.com, we can, in fact, see who the primary culprits were in collecting these ill-gotten saves (as you can see in the top chart at right), and I'd like to propose that we name the non-scoreless save after the man who earned more of them over his career than anyone else did. I give you my new statistic, the Hoffman.

"But hey," you say (or would say, if I was secretly controlling your voice), "you can give up a run in a two-inning save and it's not that bad, really -- okay it's not that great but it's just fine, I mean, we can live with that can't we?" Sure we can! So let's change the criteria to one run or more allowed in no more than one inning of work, again with a save "earned". See the second chart.

That's right: Trevor Hoffman earned 27 percent more of these "short Hoffmans" than any other reliever in the history of baseball. Of course, that's partly a function of Hoffman pitching as long as he did, and earning more total saves than anyone else (a situation likely to change within the year), so let's look at the top ten leaders in saves with their Hoffman percentage (Hoffmans/total saves):

The "Hoffman" Percentage
    The current top 10 leaders in saves next to their "Hoffman" percentage:

Rank Player Saves Hoffmans Hoffman %
    1 Trevor Hoffman 601 53 8.8%
    2 Mariano Rivera 563 44 7.8%
    3 Lee Smith 478 48 10.0%
    4 John Franco 424 46 10.8%
    5 Billy Wagner 422 32 7.6%
    6 Dennis Eckersley+ 390 41 10.5%
    7 Jeff Reardon 367 46 12.5%
    8 Troy Percival 358 40 11.2%
    9 Randy Myers 347 35 10.1%
    10 Rollie Fingers+ 341 34 10.0%

The most interesting part of that table, to me, is that there's someone below Mariano Rivera in percentage -- Wagner beats him by a Hoffman, since if Wagner had earned one more he would have been fractionally higher in the percentage column.

The range of Hoffman percentages among save leaders isn't all that high -- if you earn a lot of saves, you'll earn a lot of Hoffmans along the way. You can separate yourself slightly from the pack in this stat -- Rivera, Hoffman, and Wagner are the three best modern/one-inning closers, pretty much any way you slice it -- but the difference between these guys and average (10.7 percent) of the others in the top 10 is about a Hoffman every other year. That's not much.

The save is a bad stat, a point the Hoffman only further emphasizes.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    The Fixer wrote:

That was cool. I always thought Lee Smith was one of the most overrated players in baseball history. I fucking hate the save stat, as you all know. All that said, I don't think he really proved anything in this article. Even Mariano had plenty of Hoffmans.

But something else he said struck me:

So, if you (as in Keith Law) say RBI is an outdated stat, can you at least look at % of runners driven in? I mean, it's still important to score runs, right? Isn't that how they determine the winner of the game? Unless they decided to just tabulate both teams' OPS at the end of the game and declare the team with the higher OPS the winner, but I don't remember seeing that.

I think, offensively at least, the WAR and OPS stats are better suited to the late 90s/early 00s (i.e. steriod era) than now, when you have to grind out runs with sac flies & RBI groundouts (things that WAR does not recognize) to win 2-1 games. When every game has 10+ runs scored, then yes the object is to not make outs. When steroids are regulated and many games have 5 or less runs scored, the object changes to scrounging out runs in any way possible. My other problem with WAR is that there are about 25 different measures of it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

That was cool. I always thought Lee Smith was one of the most overrated players in baseball history. I fucking hate the save stat, as you all know. All that said, I don't think he really proved anything in this article. Even Mariano had plenty of Hoffmans.

So, if you (as in Keith Law) say RBI is an outdated stat, can you at least look at % of runners driven in? I mean, it's still important to score runs, right? Isn't that how they determine the winner of the game? Unless they decided to just tabulate both teams' OPS at the end of the game and declare the team with the higher OPS the winner, but I don't remember seeing that.

I think, offensively at least, the WAR and OPS stats are better suited to the late 90s/early 00s (i.e. steriod era) than now, when you have to grind out runs with sac flies & RBI groundouts (things that WAR does not recognize) to win 2-1 games. When every game has 10+ runs scored, then yes the object is to not make outs. When steroids are regulated and many games have 5 or less runs scored, the object changes to scrounging out runs in any way possible. My other problem with WAR is that there are about 25 different measures of it.

The point of OPS/WAR is that being on base usually gives your team a better chance to score than making an out. More guys on base = higher probability of team scoring runs.

Never thought about percentage of runners driven in. I think the caveat to using that is you are still giving a player credit for making outs. I see what you're saying...certain situations may result in making an out resulting in a positive team outcome.

Most of the saber stats are works in progress. Fangraphs and BP do need to get on the same page.

Law does a good job of summing up the insignificance of the RBI. It's almost (except for solo HRs) entirely dependent on what teammates do, not what the player getting credit does.

I love discussing this kind of stuff. I'm a dork
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The point of OPS/WAR is that being on base usually gives your team a better chance to score than making an out. More guys on base = higher probability of team scoring runs.

Never thought about percentage of runners driven in. I think the caveat to using that is you are still giving a player credit for making outs. I see what you're saying...certain situations may result in making an out resulting in a positive team outcome.

Most of the saber stats are works in progress. Fangraphs and BP do need to get on the same page.

Law does a good job of summing up the insignificance of the RBI. It's almost (except for solo HRs) entirely dependent on what teammates do, not what the player getting credit does.

I love discussing this kind of stuff. I'm a dork

Me too. :geek:

I think you have to give credit for baseball plays like RBI groundouts & sac flies. If you strike out or pop up (did you ever see Howard has the lowest career popup rate in baseball?) than the run doesn't score.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

I think you have to give credit for baseball plays like RBI groundouts & sac flies. If you strike out or pop up (did you ever see Howard has the lowest career popup rate in baseball?) than the run doesn't score.

that could work. If you're going to credit them for making outs, then I think you'd have to have a formula which penalizes a player for striking or popping out and not getting the run in.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    good article by murphy today: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... HELLO.html

i don't get all the hate for j werth. dude was a vital part of us winning the world fucking championship a few years ago and coming damn close the last two years.

i can't blame him for takinig 125M if someone was willing, or stupid enough, to give it to him. the juggler wishes him well.

.....they gonna get this one in tonight?
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

Its all about production and pitching. The 08 Phillies were horrible with runners in scoring position during the playoffs but still won it all. New age stats imo take away from the point of the game. Does getting men on base matter sure but a solo or 2 run homer matter more.This team until this year has been long ball team and although it's not the typical way to win it's worked. New age stats are almost a lie in the scheme of things especially when dealing with this team.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    good article by murphy today: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... HELLO.html

i don't get all the hate for j werth. dude was a vital part of us winning the world fucking championship a few years ago and coming damn close the last two years.

i can't blame him for takinig 125M if someone was willing, or stupid enough, to give it to him. the juggler wishes him well.

I think it comes back to him running his mouth after we got Lee. And his i hate the phillies comment didn't help matters. And he also pissed alot of people off after cursing out the fan although i don't think he was wrong there.
    Go Birds!!!!

agree 100% about werth. I'm not gonna cheer for him anymore, but I don't blame the guy for taking the money. I would have done the same thing if I were him
    atta boy kong. he always does well in DC
    blanton looks awful tonight
  • The Fixer wrote:
    blanton looks awful every night
    Fixed.
    I knew it all along, see?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Fixed.

not true at all
    fucking blanton
    www.myspace.com
    mayberry has no business being on this team
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    werth eh?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    werth eh?

Let's see how it goes vs. Doc tomorrow.

The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Fixed.

not true at all

Last game those clowns went on and on about how great he was in the 2nd half. I was like - this is the 1st half idiots. What's his 1st half ERA - about 18?

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    werth eh?

Let's see how it goes vs. Doc tomorrow.

my boy from long beach ny lannan goes...yikes...i feel bad for him
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

Last game those clowns went on and on about how great he was in the 2nd half. I was like - this is the 1st half idiots. What's his 1st half ERA - about 18?

blanton was good in 08 and their best SP in 09 (before they got lee). he was hurt last year and didn't get going until august. he will be fine.

the people that complain about blanton are the same ones that complain about hamels. lee got shelled the other day and no one says a peep.

doesn't matter tonight if they don't score some runs
    The Fixer wrote:

blanton was good in 08 and their best SP in 09 (before they got lee). he was hurt last year and didn't get going until august. he will be fine.

the people that complain about blanton are the same ones that complain about hamels. lee got shelled the other day and no one says a peep.

I understand what you're saying, and I've agreed with you in the past, but it's really fucking painful to watch his fat ass this year. Thank goodness he's not the 3rd starter again.

Nice, another bases-loaded one out we can choke away.

Here we go. Come on Ibanez, get them back in this one
    2 gift runs there. could have done without bastardo's romero impersonation tonight
    The Fixer wrote:
    2 gift runs there. could have done without bastardo's romero impersonation tonight

They've got this one, but the Nats are still pathetic.

The Fixer wrote:

They've got this one, but the Nats are still pathetic.

sloppy game tonight. baez cant walk the leadoff guy there. bastardo and blanton were both awful. next to no offense.

oh well, can't win em all.
    at least blanton lowered his era a little bit.... :lol:

all is well tomorrow folks.

happy halladay eve.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

the people that complain about blanton are the same ones that complain about hamels.
    s

obviously this doesn't mean shit but i disagree with this. i think the majority of people like blanton better, which is ridiculous obviously. think it has to do with him looking like a regular out of shape guy, hitting a fucking home run in the world series, and pity because he's not an "ace." hamels got booed last week and blanton didn't.

again--i could care less about this stuff, but this is how i perceive it.

159-3 :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    The Fixer wrote:

coming from the guy who complains about ryan howard, jeff carter, mike vick, etc. :roll: pot meet kettle

blanton is what most average-to-good major league pitchers are, up and down almost inning-to-inning. it's just in this rotation he is going to look like shit most of the time compared to the others.

and who thinks those losers they showed on the game booing Werth ever went to a Phils game before 2008? clowns. no reason to boo werth as much as some of those people did in my opinion.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

coming from the guy who complains about ryan howard, jeff carter, mike vick, etc. :roll: pot meet kettle

blanton is what most average-to-good major league pitchers are, up and down almost inning-to-inning. it's just in this rotation he is going to look like shit most of the time compared to the others.

and who thinks those losers they showed on the game booing Werth ever went to a Phils game before 2008? clowns. no reason to boo werth as much as some of those people did in my opinion.

carter and vick never won philly a title. I will never boo blanton, hamels, or howard. Or werth.

Agree with your assessment of blanton. He is what he is. He's definitely not as bad as everyone in philly is making him out to be.

Now get back to telling us how howard is better than votto. or comparing him to babe ruth
This discussion has been closed.