***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    :lol::lol::lol:

previously on the phillies thread...

fixer and everyone else argued about ryan howard

then someone brought up babe ruth and everyone went apreshit

jamminpearls came in with all caps to show his frustration

as this was happening 2 yankees fans sat back and commented on how funny this was

someone mentioned ralph kiner ..but that didn't go very far

the juggler got nervous about the caps and said to slow down .....

next week...... once and for all..is howard better than ruth?
    will the jeagler jump off a bridge when lannan beats roy?

tune in to find out

i'd like to see that stupid "newbie" thread hold up as long as this one has over the years :mrgreen::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Crazy isn't it? And if 4 guys reach base in a row, no one's hitting home runs or "knocking them in" and still scoring a run! Crazy!

How often does a pitcher actually walk 4 guys in a row? An RBI is probably credited for 95-98% of runs. Obviously a passed ball,error,wild pitch,balk,steal of home or interference u don't get credited with a RBI.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol::lol::lol:

previously on the phillies thread...

fixer and everyone else argued about ryan howard

then someone brought up babe ruth and everyone went apreshit

jamminpearls came in with all caps to show his frustration

as this was happening 2 yankees fans sat back and commented on how funny this was

someone mentioned ralph kiner ..but that didn't go very far

the juggler got nervous about the caps and said to slow down .....

next week...... once and for all..is howard better than ruth?
    will the jeagler jump off a bridge when lannan beats roy?

tune in to find out

i'd like to see that stupid "newbie" thread hold up as long as this one has over the years :mrgreen::lol:

that started and finished while i was still in del boca vista
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    okay then take the next 4 years then. he hit 189 hrs. their hr #'s are similiar. not talking about avg and obp obviously.

wanna make it clear that i'm not siding with pjhawks (please god dont think that :lol: ) and jamming completely b/c they take this waaay too far. but if your just talking hr totals (and not anything else) for their first four comparable years as full time position players, their numbers are similiar. that's all i'm saying...and it's true.

That's all i was saying as well.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    OBP - a hit of any kind - HR, single, 2B, 3B - strikeout advance, walk, intentional walk, HBP. Now tell me, what, in here, does Howard do well? ONE.

Team RBI I wouldn't say is overrated, but individual RBI definitely is. It's this simple, if no one's on base, there's no one to drive in. You could put Dickie Thon in the cleanup spot with the kind of lineup Howard has had over his career and accidentally drive in 100. Individual RBI is definitely flawed. Gimme 9 hitters that scratch and claw to get on base above him. That is the point. The point of baseball is to get on base. If everyone is getting on base, you are winning. Winning.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    How often does a pitcher actually walk 4 guys in a row? An RBI is probably credited for 95-98% of runs. Obviously a passed ball,error,wild pitch,balk,steal of home or interference u don't get credited with a RBI.

In the last 10 years, the team with the highest OBP has scored the most runs 9 times.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    ....aaaand, if everyone in the lineup continuously gets on base, the inning never ends, you rack up runs, and deplete the opponent's pitching staff. Again, crazy stuff, that OBP!

stop. the goal isn't to work the count or get on base. there's no strategy on offense. just go up and swing as hard as you can and see how far the ball goes. hopefully there are guys on base so you get an RBI if you're lucky...or maybe even a Home Run!!
    It's also this simple - chicks dig the long ball. That's what they're getting at - has to be.
    OBP - a hit of any kind - HR, single, 2B, 3B - strikeout advance, walk, intentional walk, HBP. Now tell me, what, in here, does Howard do well? ONE.

Team RBI I wouldn't say is overrated, but individual RBI definitely is. It's this simple, if no one's on base, there's no one to drive in. You could put Dickie Thon in the cleanup spot with the kind of lineup Howard has had over his career and accidentally drive in 100. Individual RBI is definitely flawed. Gimme 9 hitters that scratch and claw to get on base above him. That is the point. The point of baseball is to get on base. If everyone is getting on base, you are winning. Winning.

The point of baseball is to out score your opponent,yes getting runners on ahead helps out alot. As good as Werth was in this lineup he never had an 100 rbi season. I guess averaging 139 rbi's is easy and anyone would do it in this lineup.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

In the last 10 years, the team with the highest OBP has scored the most runs 9 times.
    Good to know and how many of them teams won the world series in the same 10yrs?
    Go Birds!!!!
    It's also this simple - chicks dig the long ball. That's what they're getting at - has to be.
    And every asshole has an opinion!
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good to know and how many of them teams won the world series in the same 10yrs?

Twice, 04 and 09, but we are only talking about offense and there is a lot more to winning the world series than stricly offense. In the same time frame, the team with the highest OBP also had the most team RBIs 9 times.
    Twice, 04 and 09, but we are only talking about offense and there is a lot more to winning the world series than stricly offense. In the same time frame, the team with the highest OBP also had the most team RBIs 9 times.[/quote]

I agree and i never said obp is pointless i said that Knocking in 139 RBI's a year isn't easy.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    wow make one little comment, go away to actually do some work for an hour or two, then come back to 4 new pages - great stuff.

it's more important when you hit, then necessarily how much you hit. getting hits 4 hits when your team is getting smoked is not as relevant as one big hit in a big game. it's why you actually have to watch games and not just read stats. jimmy rollins is the perfect example of this. his numbers don't necessarily suggest he is a great player, but watch him every day and in big spots i'd say he has been.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    I agree and i never said obp is pointless i said that Knocking in 139 RBI's a year isn't easy.

this is the part of the people who knock Howard that drive me crazy. they make it seem like anyone could knock in over 130 runs in the same situations and it's just not true. there are maybe 2 handful of guys who would. i would agree that looking at RBI on it's own can be misleading, but so can pretty much every baseball stat.
    pjhawks wrote:

this is the part of the people who knock Howard that drive me crazy. they make it seem like anyone could knock in over 130 runs in the same situations and it's just not true. there are maybe 2 handful of guys who would. i would agree that looking at RBI on it's own can be misleading, but so can pretty much every baseball stat.

Don't disagree with the almighty's, didn't u get the memo baseball is played on paper and a calculator now.
    Go Birds!!!!
    So, I am pretty sure the best news you guys could get all day is that The Fightins is coming back. There are only a few non yankees, team specific, blogs that I read, and the fightins is one.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    You'd think we are the 2-9 team the way this thread goes. :lol: :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Gotta love getting hall of fame seats and not being able to drink or eat any of the food,plus i get the great honor of watching fat Joe FML!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So, I am pretty sure the best news you guys could get all day is that The Fightins is coming back. There are only a few non yankees, team specific, blogs that I read, and the fightins is one.

Nice. Did not know this. I thought the dude just up and left it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Guess he said on Twitter today or last night that he is bringing it back. I think he did just up and leave though. I went one day and it said it was gone.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Gotta admit I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Link?

completely unrelated to anything, but I was just in the gym (down in towson). Probably 30 people in there and 3 of them had red sox hat/shirts on. Is it wrong that this bothers the hell out of me?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

completely unrelated to anything, but I was just in the gym (down in towson). Probably 30 people in there and 3 of them had red sox hat/shirts on. Is it wrong that this bothers the hell out of me?

The Fightins - a Phils blog.

http://www.philebrity.com/2011/04/13/up ... ee-its-on/
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Its a good phillies site, good humor, good analysis and always taking down the big media guys. Can't find the link for some reason since it went away, but I will post it when it comes back.

No, not wrong at all.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Its a good phillies site, good humor, good analysis and always taking down the big media guys. Can't find the link for some reason since it went away, but I will post it when it comes back.

No, not wrong at all.

where did you see it was coming back? i didn't see anything and looks like the link is still disabled:

http://thefightins.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

edit--never mind. just saw jp's post....
    www.myspace.com
    Why THE FUCK is this game on the Comcast Network???? There's nothing on PHL17 so that shit's open to be used. Thank GOD this is the last game on that podunk channel.
    Anybody know how to go around blackouts for espn3? This is really puttin a craw up my ass. Doc pitching and I can't see it. Bush. League.
    Anybody know how to go around blackouts for espn3? This is really puttin a craw up my ass. Doc pitching and I can't see it. Bush. League.

nope. that sucks dude. I used to get so pissed when I lived in florida and the saturday games on fox would get blacked out

fucking howard. throw the god damned ball
    Gotta love getting hall of fame seats and not being able to drink or eat any of the food,plus i get the great honor of watching fat Joe FML!!

sunday? yeah i will be in hof club as well. sucks it's blanton but maybe we'll get to see his first shut out since 2007. :lol:

go phils.
    www.myspace.com
    Party's in FDR on Sunday. Per the usual.
This discussion has been closed.