***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    The Fixer wrote:
    Dude, I totally agree with that statement. As much as he annoys me offensively, I might even throw rollins in there too since he was around during the bowa years. I will always have a soft spot for hamels after he carried the phils to a title in '08 (which is why it pissed me off so much that philly fans dumped on him after one down season in '09).

Cliff, a buddy told me he saw the rumor on MLB network. So JP's right on the money.

Probably BS, but it is interesting. It really all goes back to the ridiculous contract that they gave the first baseman. Worst contract ever

Gotcha, so it was probably all just speculation. Still, interesting stuff though. Love thinking about huge trades like this.

Yeah, that's the only reason I see them having a tough time with Hamels. In 2014 they will be paying Lee and Howard a combined $50 mil. Add Hamels and Halladay to that and you are looking at 4 players making $90 mil combined.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Dude, I totally agree with that statement. As much as he annoys me offensively, I might even throw rollins in there too since he was around during the bowa years. I will always have a soft spot for hamels after he carried the phils to a title in '08 (which is why it pissed me off so much that philly fans dumped on him after one down season in '09).

Cliff, a buddy told me he saw the rumor on MLB network. So JP's right on the money.

Probably BS, but it is interesting. It really all goes back to the ridiculous contract that they gave the first baseman. Worst contract ever

Gotcha, so it was probably all just speculation. Still, interesting stuff though. Love thinking about huge trades like this.

Yeah, that's the only reason I see them having a tough time with Hamels. In 2014 they will be paying Lee and Howard a combined $50 mil. Add Hamels and Halladay to that and you are looking at 4 players making $90 mil combined.

You're 100% right about hamels to the d-backs not making sense. upton is still under control for a while, so that doesn't make sense.

The baseball offseason is great. It's weird, as a phils fan you can't discount ANY rumor anymore...pretty fucking cool.

Also, you guys are bastards talking about new years day. I miss those days
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    On an unrelated note - I have three separate email trains going entailing New Year's Eve/Day. Cannot wait for the day part. Coffee with whiskey, mimosas, beer....mmmmmm...

Yeah, man. I can't fucking wait. Going to be a blast. Weather is looking good too. 44 and partly cloudy. Going to be a great day.

I don't know if you would know this, but isn't the parade at a decent hour now? Didn't they push it back till 11 or 12 or something? A back-pack full of beer cans I think will always keep me young at heart.

I am 99.99% sure it is starting at 10am. I read that the other day, not sure where. And fuck yes, a back pack full of beer cans on New Years Day is a wonderful thing.

Edit: I also think we are getting a quarter keg of something good to go along with everything else. Not sure what yet, but Dogfish 90 Minute is available at Bella Vista.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    Yeah, I think I found it. Looks like 10. Fixer, what prevents you from not partaking in one of the best days of the year?
    The Fixer wrote:
    You're 100% right about hamels to the d-backs not making sense. upton is still under control for a while, so that doesn't make sense.

The baseball offseason is great. It's weird, as a phils fan you can't discount ANY rumor anymore...pretty fucking cool.

Also, you guys are bastards talking about new years day. I miss those days

Yeah, man. A 3rd team would have to be involved and that team should be the Yankees. I am all about this. haha.

That's true. Crazy shit has happened with them the past couple years and Amaro has shown he has the balls to pull some risky shit.

New Years Day is the best.
    Yeah, I think I found it. Looks like 10. Fixer, what prevents you from not partaking in one of the best days of the year?

we host an annual party on NYE. when I wake up on new years day there will be bodies laid out everywhere. Lots of clean up the day after...and the wife will be expecting help. I probably could make it, but I will be in an alcohol induced coma most of the day
    The Fixer wrote:

we host an annual party on NYE. when I wake up on new years day there will be bodies laid out everywhere. Lots of clean up the day after...and the wife will be expecting help. I probably could make it, but I will be in an alcohol induced coma most of the day

Ah, gotcha. Responsibilities, obligations, so on and so forth. Those are the worst.
    The Fixer wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Responsibilities, obligations, so on and so forth. Those are the worst.

yep. If it were up to me we would be at my buddy's family's place in South Philly on NYD. Gotta pick my battles...and I will be hammered either way, so it's not terrible.
    Haha, I think issues start here and then are stolen and given legitimacy...just sayin'.....(you guys read mlbtraderumors.com as much - if not more - as me, so I don't know if this is breaking news)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/h ... ether.html
    Haha, I think issues start here and then are stolen and given legitimacy...just sayin'.....(you guys read mlbtraderumors.com as much - if not more - as me, so I don't know if this is breaking news)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/h ... ether.html

great site. baseball can't get here soon enough
    And it's funny, reading the comments of a lot of people under this article whom to think of themselves as baseball die-hards, don't consider Hamels more than a #2 or #3. Funny. It's crazy how vastly underrated he still is.
    And it's funny, reading the comments of a lot of people under this article whom to think of themselves as baseball die-hards, don't consider Hamels more than a #2 or #3. Funny. It's crazy how vastly underrated he still is.

Yeah, mlb trade rumors is a really good site. Bought their iphone app recently and I like it a lot. Very easy and I am constantly checking it. They are on top of everything.

Yeah, thats a bit nuts. His numbers were a little bit better than CC's last year, but CC was pitching in the AL East. Still though. He would make any team a lot better.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

1. The Phillies will win fewer than 96 games. That figure is the current line for the Phillies' 2011 win total set by your finer, ahem, establishments. It's easy to win December: make the biggest trade, sign the biggest free agent, lose the least talent, and no one is shredding their elbows or having trouble locating their fastball or just plain feeling old. It's harder to win September, when stat lines give way to baseball games, bad bounces, human frailty. It was three years ago that pundits -- myself included -- were raving about the Tigers' 1,000-run offense in the wake of their trades for Edgar Renteria and Miguel Cabrera. That team won 74 games, finished last and fell just 179 tallies shy of a grand.

This isn't to say that the Phillies aren't the best team in the NL or won't win the NL East for the fifth year in a row. It's merely an acknowledgement that despite adding Cliff Lee, they're an aging team that had some injury and performance issues last year, and whose bullpen is always an adventure. It's a lot to ask these four starters -- three of whom will be at least 32 years old next year -- to carry the roster. Halladay, Lee, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels have combined for more than 60 wins in any season just once, in 2008. The 1993 Braves had four starters younger than all four of the Phillies' hurlers, and they made 142 starts and racked up 75 wins for a 104-win team. That's the gold standard in the free-agent era, and it will remain so a year from now.

Goes on to say the Red Sox will win the World Series.
    Meh. Projections are projections. I don't care if they win 89 if it gets them home field advantage. They won 97 games with a DL-riddled lineup and a down year across the board offensively. Barring injuries, this team can play and beat anybody.
    Meh. Projections are projections. I don't care if they win 89 if it gets them home field advantage. They won 97 games with a DL-riddled lineup and a down year across the board offensively. Barring injuries, this team can play and beat anybody.

Agreed, first predictions of the year so I figured I would post. He had the Yankees and Phillies as the only 2 teams from last years playoffs in next years.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624

140-22.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed, first predictions of the year so I figured I would post. He had the Yankees and Phillies as the only 2 teams from last years playoffs in next years.

Just curious - who were the rest other than Boston? I'm assuming Oakland instead of Texas, White Sox, Colorado, Milwaukee, and St. Louis?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just curious - who were the rest other than Boston? I'm assuming Oakland instead of Texas, White Sox, Colorado, Milwaukee, and St. Louis?

Not bad at all.

9. Parity reigns. Of the eight teams to make the 2010 postseason, just two -- the Yankees and Phillies -- will return in 2011, as the Red Sox, White Sox, A's, Brewers, Rockies and Dodgers create a near-complete turnover of baseball's Elite Eight
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not bad at all.

9. Parity reigns. Of the eight teams to make the 2010 postseason, just two -- the Yankees and Phillies -- will return in 2011, as the Red Sox, White Sox, A's, Brewers, Rockies and Dodgers create a near-complete turnover of baseball's Elite Eight

Rats. I was thinking LA, but I don't think they're overall that good of a team. I like St. Louis much more.

And that's a nice little tidbit for all of those in the MLB thread that think parity doesn't exist in baseball.
    edited December 2010
    Off topic. This is pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iu2cDdQGS4

Edit: Oh and if you are at work, I would probably not open that unless you have headphones or an office. Language.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Rats. I was thinking LA, but I don't think they're overall that good of a team. I like St. Louis much more.

And that's a nice little tidbit for all of those in the MLB thread that think parity doesn't exist in baseball.

Yeah, I would probably go with St Louis too. Never thought the Dodgers were very good and Donnie Baseball will surely cost them a couple wins.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha, yeah, I saw this on the facebook. Funny stuff. I have this buddy from Chicago who lived here for a handful of years, and he was a real spaz, he couldn't understand the unwritten rule of how this is a concept here. He nearly got shot because he didn't listen to me.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha, yeah, I saw this on the facebook. Funny stuff. I have this buddy from Chicago who lived here for a handful of years, and he was a real spaz, he couldn't understand the unwritten rule of how this is a concept here. He nearly got shot because he didn't listen to me.

haha, thats pretty funny. I have mixed feelings on the topic. Have never been able to make up my mind on it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, thats pretty funny. I have mixed feelings on the topic. Have never been able to make up my mind on it.

And that's the consensus I get from most people who aren't from here - I just tell them it is what it is. Just something that's been going on here as long as there's been spots.

If you think that's bad, try getting blocked in when someone double parks down around the Girard estate around 23rd and Passyunk. THAT is the worst.
    And that's the consensus I get from most people who aren't from here - I just tell them it is what it is. Just something that's been going on here as long as there's been spots.

If you think that's bad, try getting blocked in when someone double parks down around the Girard estate around 23rd and Passyunk. THAT is the worst.

I hear you. It just gets funny when people being to justify it. I understand where they are coming from at times, but other times I think its nuts.

Now that shit boggles my mind. That and parking in the middle of the street simply because there is space.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you. It just gets funny when people being to justify it. I understand where they are coming from at times, but other times I think its nuts.

Now that shit boggles my mind. That and parking in the middle of the street simply because there is space.

That's why I don't try to justify it. I just know I don't want to get shot nor my car fucked up.

If any of their SPs miss significant time they could be in trouble. Their bullpen sucked last year, and this year's version is gonna be even worse
    edited December 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not bad at all.

I think it's crazy that people are discounting the reds. They are defending central champs and still the most talented team in that division.

I think the cards are gonna be brutal defensively. Berkman and Holliday in the same OF means lots of hits and extra bases. Also, replacing ryan with theriot was dumb. And you know carpenter is due for another injury...he's 35 and has gone 2 years without being hurt, which is an eternity for him. I will be all over the cards wins under next year...they're a .500 team
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's why I don't try to justify it. I just know I don't want to get shot nor my car fucked up.

I do this all the time. The narrow streets are another complaint I'd have about havertown. If I spend 2 hours shoveling out parking spots in front of my house you're damn right that no one else is parking there.

That's one thing I dont' miss about living in the city. The snow really makes things a pain in the ass. Havertown gives me the annoyance of city living without the benefit of having any decent bars or restaurants to walk to. perfect
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not bad at all.

I think it's crazy that people are discounting the reds. They are defending central champs and still the most talented team in that division.

I think the cards are gonna be brutal defensively. Berkman and Holliday in the same OF means lots of hits and extra bases. Also, replacing ryan with theriot was dumb. And you know carpenter is due for another injury...he's 35 and has gone 2 years without being hurt, which is an eternity for him. I will be all over the cards wins under next year...they're a .500 team

Love the Reds as well, I'm just going off of Cliffy telling that the article only said the Phils and Yanks were going back so I was trying to figure out who the newcomers would be.
This discussion has been closed.