***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    But seriously, Werth to the Nats? Love it. Enjoy a steady rise to mediocrity in the division, Jayson! :thumbup:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    He’s so not worth that kind of money, it’s absurd. And what happens opening day when there are 12,000 people in the stands. Werth already has a problem with keeping his head in the game, where is the motivation to go work every day when you have no shot at winning.

I actually laughed when I heard about this. What a joke.
  • He’s so not worth that kind of money, it’s absurd. And what happens opening day when there are 12,000 people in the stands. Werth already has a problem with keeping his head in the game, where is the motivation to go work every day when you have no shot at winning.

I actually laughed when I heard about this. What a joke.

The problem I see is that this is a 5-tool player contract. But there's no way he'll be a 5-tool player in 5 years.

In a way, I'm just happy he didn't go to the Red Sox or something like that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    So now who fills the Werth hole ?

Frenchy ?

I will personally burn down South Philly if Francouer comes here. Diaz. Get Diaz if you're gonna go that route.

I agree about francouer. if I had to make a list of MLB players that I wouldn't want to see in a phils uniform, he would probably be number 1 (zack duke would be in the top 5 as well :D ).

JP, get the gas cans. I'll bring the matches.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Royals and Phillies have picked up the pace on free agent outfielder Jeff Francoeur, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark. The Rockies are also in on Francoeur. All three suitors were already known from past reports.
    So now who fills the Werth hole ?

Frenchy ?

u mean Domonic Brown?

I think brown starts the year in AAA. I would love to see the phils trade for willingham, who is apparently available now that the nats have werth locked up.

just please, please, please no francoeur (no idea how his name is spelled...too many vowels)
    further proof that this manager is a dumb ass

jaysonst: With Werth officially gone #Phillies looking harder at RH OF options. #Braves people say Charlie Manuel has been asking about Jeff Francoeur
    phils showing interest in jerry hairston jr. I wouldn't mind him. He can pretty much play any position and he hits RH.
  • The Fixer wrote:

jaysonst: With Werth officially gone #Phillies looking harder at RH OF options. #Braves people say Charlie Manuel has been asking about Jeff Francoeur

Charlie's gonna fix his swing. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    hard to believe someone game Werth 7 years at 18 million. what a disaster. it would be stunning if he is still productive by year 7 of that. i can see 3 or 4 productive years then a sharp tail off. crazy that jason bey and jayson werth are making 18 million a year. at least it wasn't the yankees or red sox so i can take solace in that.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    pjhawks wrote:
    hard to believe someone game Werth 7 years at 18 million. what a disaster. it would be stunning if he is still productive by year 7 of that. i can see 3 or 4 productive years then a sharp tail off. crazy that jason bey and jayson werth are making 18 million a year. at least it wasn't the yankees or red sox so i can take solace in that.

More like it will be stunning if he is productive by year 4.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    by the way---congrats to pat gillick getting the nod for hall of fame. there's only a handfull of gm's/scouts in there so this is kind of a big deal. atta guy pat!
    www.myspace.com
  • by the way---congrats to pat gillick getting the nod for hall of fame. there's only a handfull of gm's/scouts in there so this is kind of a big deal. atta guy pat!

3 rings will do that

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    by the way---congrats to pat gillick getting the nod for hall of fame. there's only a handfull of gm's/scouts in there so this is kind of a big deal. atta guy pat!

3 rings will do that

;)

wish it was only 2
    www.myspace.com
  • by the way---congrats to pat gillick getting the nod for hall of fame. there's only a handfull of gm's/scouts in there so this is kind of a big deal. atta guy pat!

3 rings will do that

;)

wish it was only 2

Yeah me too...me too

A good read here about the Werth contract and the fall-out

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... ract120510

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

As I said in the MLB thread, it's complete bullshit gillick gets in and Marvin miller does not. They veterans committee needs to be done away with. No one can even begin to argue gillick had close to the impact on the game that miller did

A good read here about the Werth contract and the fall-out

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... ract120510

Love the Kal Daniels comparison. There's a name I haven't seen in a long time
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

great arm but sucks at the plate. if bout 15,000 met fans at a citi field can run him outta town, i couldn't even think of what a sold out bank park would make him do.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

great arm but sucks at the plate. if bout 15,000 met fans at a citi field can run him outta town, i couldn't even think of what a sold out bank park would make him do.

he's just a horrendous player in general
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As I said in the MLB thread, it's complete bullshit gillick gets in and Marvin miller does not. They veterans committee needs to be done away with. No one can even begin to argue gillick had close to the impact on the game that miller did

oh well. sucks for marvin miller. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Juan Rivera-OF-Angels Dec. 6 - 7:39 pm et

The Phillies are interested in trading for Juan Rivera, according to the Los Angeles Times' Mike DiGiovanna.
    Phillies GM Ruben Amaro has expressed a hesitancy to hand the right field job to Domonic Brown, so he's at the very least looking for some insurance options. Rivera is coming off a down 2010 season where he batted .252/.312/.409, but he hit .287/.332/.478 with 25 homers the previous season. He will make $5.25 in 2011, which could be a potential stumbling block in a trade.
    Source: Mike DiGiovanna on Twitter
    Go Birds!!!!
    Juan Rivera-OF-Angels Dec. 6 - 7:39 pm et

The Phillies are interested in trading for Juan Rivera, according to the Los Angeles Times' Mike DiGiovanna.
    Phillies GM Ruben Amaro has expressed a hesitancy to hand the right field job to Domonic Brown, so he's at the very least looking for some insurance options. Rivera is coming off a down 2010 season where he batted .252/.312/.409, but he hit .287/.332/.478 with 25 homers the previous season. He will make $5.25 in 2011, which could be a potential stumbling block in a trade.
    Source: Mike DiGiovanna on Twitter

I just saw this too. I would love rivera or willingham. and i'd take glenn wilson or von hayes over francoeur.

Phils signed Brian Bass.

Also, Heyman is reporting that they are considering getting involved in the Lee sweepstakes. I don't believe that for one second. bad journalists like heyman and sam donellon need to be taken down
    so it looks like the phils will end up with sherrill and francoeur...the two guys that I least wanted them to sign.

It looks like you can cross Matt Diaz off your list of potential right-handed bats. There are strong indications that the veteran outfielder will sign somewhere other than Philadelphia in the next 24 to 48 hours. The Phillies met with Diaz's agent yesterday, but have yet to express serious interest in signing the former Brave. Although Diaz has mashed left-handed pitching in his career, there are some concerns about where he would fit into the Phillies outfield. Diaz has played mostly at left field, and is not regarded as a strong defender.

^

As for lefty relievers, there has been a lot of speculation over the past couple of days that the Phillies could wind up signing veteran lefty George Sherrill, who was non-tendered by the Dodgers after a disappointing season. Sherrill earned $4.5 million last season.

Sherrill struggled mightily last season, finishing with a 6.69 ERA in 65 appearances. But his numbers remained solid against left-handed hitters, who batted just .192 with a .573 OPS against him.
  • The Fixer wrote:

I like the Gload/Francisco platoon. I will personally boo Frenchy out of RF if he comes here.

• The Fixer wrote:

I like the Gload/Francisco platoon. I will personally boo Frenchy out of RF if he comes here.

You don't want another guy in this lineup that swings at the first pitch each and every time ?

:D

Thats why the loss of werth is going to be huge...he would at least take pitches and get walks

So would Rivera be a one year deal if they traded for him? I wouldn't mind that.

And I would rather have Sherrill than both him and Francouer. Sherrill sucked big time last year, but he's still good against lefties which is all they need, and I like his delivery to lefties - hides the ball well. I don't think they're done if they only get Sherrill though, I would have to think they'll go get someone else too...right? ......RIGHT?!?
    you guys are thinking too much about offense though. yes i agree francouer is not a great fit offensively but his defense and arm would be great for this team. and maybe charlie can get him to make more contact, but with his defense if he can hit 20 or so homers he might be worth it. putting gload in right field for more than about 10 games would be a disaster and i've never thought francisco has been a good defensive player. win with pitching and defense without having to give up any more prospects to get a right-fielder as well. not saying i think francouer is the best option but there are a few positives to him that i don't see anyone mentioning here.
    pjhawks wrote:
    you guys are thinking too much about offense though. yes i agree francouer is not a great fit offensively but his defense and arm would be great for this team. and maybe charlie can get him to make more contact, but with his defense if he can hit 20 or so homers he might be worth it. putting gload in right field for more than about 10 games would be a disaster and i've never thought francisco has been a good defensive player. win with pitching and defense without having to give up any more prospects to get a right-fielder as well. not saying i think francouer is the best option but there are a few positives to him that i don't see anyone mentioning here.

Jeff Francoeur is among the worst players in baseball. check out his career OPS. his OBP last year was under 300!!! It's hard for a ML player to be that bad. There's a reason that he has been on 20 teams in the last 3 years. Francisco should be given a shot in RF before they sign a stiff like francoeur. I think Francisco would handle himself well if he's given the chance to play around 100 games in RF.

I also agree that gload can't play the OF. Seeing him drop routine fly balls last year was not fun.
    pjhawks wrote:

Who's thinking too much about offense? I've said all along that this team is still the favorite in the NL as they are now. My point is it's not worth the time for Francouer even by a defensive standpoint. Francisco has played every outfield poisition, he's absolutely find defensively. Maybe not the strongest arm, but more than a viable replacement. The only thing Francouer has the I like is a strong arm. This team doesn't need more strikeouts to this lineup. The potential of hitting 20+ homeruns isn't worth it. He's just a bad player. If he would actually learn a little discipline then he'd be alright, but he's been in the league for a while now, so I don't see why he would change now.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Jeff Francoeur is among the worst players in baseball. check out his career OPS. his OBP last year was under 300!!! It's hard for a ML player to be that bad. There's a reason that he has been on 20 teams in the last 3 years. Francisco should be given a shot in RF before they sign a stiff like francoeur. I think Francisco would handle himself well if he's given the chance to play around 100 games in RF.

I also agree that gload can't play the OF. Seeing him drop routine fly balls last year was not fun.

the only question though is what do you do with left field? we surely need another right-handed bat because Ibanez can't play every day and against all lefties. again not saying franceour is the answer, i prefer they go nowhere near him either, but i can at least see a few arguments for him being signed. i much prefer they sign a diaz and/or a cheaper player or two. i think willingham would be a great fit for this team but not sure the price in a trade would be right. getting interesting though for sure.
This discussion has been closed.