Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    So would Rivera be a one year deal if they traded for him? I wouldn't mind that.

And I would rather have Sherrill than both him and Francouer. Sherrill sucked big time last year, but he's still good against lefties which is all they need, and I like his delivery to lefties - hides the ball well. I don't think they're done if they only get Sherrill though, I would have to think they'll go get someone else too...right? ......RIGHT?!?

yeah, rivera has 1 year at 5 mill left on his deal. the angels have said that they'd be willing to eat a portion of that salary in a trade. if crawford goes to the angels (which is my prediction), I think rivera gets dealt.

so rube, there's no rush to sign a turd like francoeur. take your time buddy, there are much better options out there.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    you guys are thinking too much about offense though. yes i agree francouer is not a great fit offensively but his defense and arm would be great for this team. and maybe charlie can get him to make more contact, but with his defense if he can hit 20 or so homers he might be worth it. putting gload in right field for more than about 10 games would be a disaster and i've never thought francisco has been a good defensive player. win with pitching and defense without having to give up any more prospects to get a right-fielder as well. not saying i think francouer is the best option but there are a few positives to him that i don't see anyone mentioning here.

Jeff Francoeur is among the worst players in baseball. check out his career OPS. his OBP last year was under 300!!! It's hard for a ML player to be that bad. There's a reason that he has been on 20 teams in the last 3 years. Francisco should be given a shot in RF before they sign a stiff like francoeur. I think Francisco would handle himself well if he's given the chance to play around 100 games in RF.

I also agree that gload can't play the OF. Seeing him drop routine fly balls last year was not fun.

the only question though is what do you do with left field? we surely need another right-handed bat because Ibanez can't play every day and against all lefties. again not saying franceour is the answer, i prefer they go nowhere near him either, but i can at least see a few arguments for him being signed. i much prefer they sign a diaz and/or a cheaper player or two. i think willingham would be a great fit for this team but not sure the price in a trade would be right. getting interesting though for sure.

I hear you. Apparently Diaz is close to a deal with someone (not the phils). They do need a RH bat. I feel like even if they go into the season with Francisco in RF and Ibanez in LF, that is better than wasting money on Francoeur.

I think Francisco will be fine. He's not werth, but he can play.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    The Fixer wrote:
    So would Rivera be a one year deal if they traded for him? I wouldn't mind that.

And I would rather have Sherrill than both him and Francouer. Sherrill sucked big time last year, but he's still good against lefties which is all they need, and I like his delivery to lefties - hides the ball well. I don't think they're done if they only get Sherrill though, I would have to think they'll go get someone else too...right? ......RIGHT?!?

yeah, rivera has 1 year at 5 mill left on his deal. the angels have said that they'd be willing to eat a portion of that salary in a trade. if crawford goes to the angels (which is my prediction), I think rivera gets dealt.

so rube, there's no rush to sign a turd like francoeur. take your time buddy, there are much better options out there.

Nice. I'd take him on for a year. Cheap deal too. Just don't know who you'd give up for him. Nothing too great I would think. But who's Anaheim's DH? Wouldn't Rivera be their DH?

Yeah, no reason to rush. I think they should lay low and let these prices flatten out.
  • Options
    And, also, ya know what kinda bugs me - why didn't they give Werth more than a 2 year deal before the '09 season? Was three years too risky or something? Did he not want to or something?
  • Options
    one last point about this RH bat situation...

I really think that whoever they sign/trade for should be primarily an offensive player. The phils didn't lose in the playoffs because of their pitching...it was the offense that struggled. I think we all expect their core players to return to their respective means this year, but it would be nice to have that RH bat to plug into the 5-6 spot in the order to break up the lefties.

In this scenario I really think defense should be secondary as they're looking at players
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    The Fixer wrote:

agree that waiting is probably the best option. you could probably even justify going into the season with francisco and ibanez and wait out teams and get someone during the season or at the deadline. with this starting pitching it's not like you are going to be out of it no matter what the offense does. someone will become available if you are willing to wait and trade a prospect or two.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

agree that waiting is probably the best option. you could probably even justify going into the season with francisco and ibanez and wait out teams and get someone during the season or at the deadline. with this starting pitching it's not like you are going to be out of it no matter what the offense does. someone will become available if you are willing to wait and trade a prospect or two.

exactly. just look at what the giants did last year
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I really think that whoever they sign/trade for should be primarily an offensive player. The phils didn't lose in the playoffs because of their pitching...it was the offense that struggled. I think we all expect their core players to return to their respective means this year, but it would be nice to have that RH bat to plug into the 5-6 spot in the order to break up the lefties.

In this scenario I really think defense should be secondary as they're looking at players

Agreed. And this "protecting" Howard is bullshit. I know your feeling on Ry and we really don't need to get into it, but he is what he is - point being is Burrell "protected" him when they won a title. So I think that says something. The main cogs need to bounce back, which I think they all will. And they definitely need to upgrade in a way offensively, either in left or right field. Even in a perfect world, and Domonic Brown is amazing and takes over in right in '12, then who plays left going forward once Ibanez is let go. I think the offseason between 2011 and 2012 will be the pivotal point for this team for the next 5-6 years.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Nice. I'd take him on for a year. Cheap deal too. Just don't know who you'd give up for him. Nothing too great I would think. But who's Anaheim's DH? Wouldn't Rivera be their DH?

Yeah, no reason to rush. I think they should lay low and let these prices flatten out.

I have no idea who the angels DH is going to be. I know they had matsui last year. Not sure if he's back with them or not. Morales had that nasty broken leg, so maybe he's gonna transition to DH.

I love all of the rumors during this time of the year. You just don't get this in the other sports
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed. And this "protecting" Howard is bullshit. I know your feeling on Ry and we really don't need to get into it, but he is what he is - point being is Burrell "protected" him when they won a title. So I think that says something. The main cogs need to bounce back, which I think they all will. And they definitely need to upgrade in a way offensively, either in left or right field. Even in a perfect world, and Domonic Brown is amazing and takes over in right in '12, then who plays left going forward once Ibanez is let go. I think the offseason between 2011 and 2012 will be the pivotal point for this team for the next 5-6 years.

Yeah, I've never bought into that lineup protection nonsense either. you know who was 'protecting' barry bonds once jeff kent retired?? pedro feliz. seriously.

I know rollins is a FA after this year...and hamels is either after 2011 or 2012. They really need to infuse some young talent into this roster. Hopefully Brown can be the start of the next wave
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,522
    The Fixer wrote:
    Yeah, I've never bought into that lineup protection nonsense either. you know who was 'protecting' barry bonds once jeff kent retired?? pedro feliz. seriously.

I know rollins is a FA after this year...and hamels is either after 2011 or 2012. They really need to infuse some young talent into this roster. Hopefully Brown can be the start of the next wave

Yup, protection is bullshit. If R6 is hitting, he's hitting. It doesn't matter who's hitting behind him.

It seems like, besides Brown, the talent is all at the A level right now, so the next wave probably isn't coming until 2014 or so. I think the Phils are still faves in 2011, but we're looking at a couple tough years after that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,326
    The Fixer wrote:

totally agree.

and for the record, the jeagler would like to throw his support behind a trade for this juan rivera cat.
    get it done raj al guhl
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ummmmmm........

Dennys Reyes May Sign With Phillies
    By Tim Dierkes [December 7, 2010 at 4:27pm CST]

4:27pm: Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch hears that Reyes will sign with the Phillies (Twitter link).

.....................FUCK.
  • Options
    so we got a denys and a dannys on our team?

gotta be some kind of first...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Jeff Francoeur is among the worst players in baseball. check out his career OPS. his OBP last year was under 300!!! It's hard for a ML player to be that bad. There's a reason that he has been on 20 teams in the last 3 years. Francisco should be given a shot in RF before they sign a stiff like francoeur. I think Francisco would handle himself well if he's given the chance to play around 100 games in RF.

I also agree that gload can't play the OF. Seeing him drop routine fly balls last year was not fun.

the only question though is what do you do with left field? we surely need another right-handed bat because Ibanez can't play every day and against all lefties. again not saying franceour is the answer, i prefer they go nowhere near him either, but i can at least see a few arguments for him being signed. i much prefer they sign a diaz and/or a cheaper player or two. i think willingham would be a great fit for this team but not sure the price in a trade would be right. getting interesting though for sure.

diaz isn't exactly known for his defense
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    phils-related rumors this offseason have been brutal. Here is today's AIDS

There are a number of outfielders that would interest the Phils in a trade and there was significant buzz Tuesday that Aaron Rowand had become a strong consideration. Rowand played for the Phils in 2006 and 2007. He has two years remaining on his contract with the San Francisco Giants and is owed $24 million. The Giants, who are looking to move Rowand, would be willing to eat a significant amount of that money to deal the outfielder.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

There are a number of outfielders that would interest the Phils in a trade and there was significant buzz Tuesday that Aaron Rowand had become a strong consideration. Rowand played for the Phils in 2006 and 2007. He has two years remaining on his contract with the San Francisco Giants and is owed $24 million. The Giants, who are looking to move Rowand, would be willing to eat a significant amount of that money to deal the outfielder.

yeah salisbury mentioned him last night. this is rough..........if the offseason contiues like this and we're platooning in right and possibly left, i would still consider the team a work in progress until the trade deadline. ya know? i think we'll be okay
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah salisbury mentioned him last night. this is rough..........if the offseason contiues like this and we're platooning in right and possibly left, i would still consider the team a work in progress until the trade deadline. ya know? i think we'll be okay

we'll see what they end up with. I have no problem with plaotoons if they get the right players.

at least they're back in the running for cliff lee :lol:
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

we'll see what they end up with. I have no problem with plaotoons if they get the right players.

did we offer him 7 years? :mrgreen:

looks like the royals are gonna sign francour
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

did we offer him 7 years? :mrgreen:

looks like the royals are gonna sign francour

who knows? they say they have made an offer, but there's no way the phils beat the rangers, yanks, or nats offers. apparently the red sox are in on Lee now too.

PLEASE let the francoeur thing happen. keep him as far away from philly as possible
  • Options
    francoeur to KC, Sherrill to Atlanta. Good day for the Phils :thumbup:
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    francoeur to KC, Sherrill to Atlanta. Good day for the Phils :thumbup:

:clap:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    7 years 155m now is the asking price for lee?

i guess things kind of worked out well for us regarding our rotation. one of those teams is going to be paying him 22m or so when he's 40? wow!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i guess things kind of worked out well for us regarding our rotation. one of those teams is going to be paying him 22m or so when he's 40? wow!

Really. As Fixer likes to tell us, we've got enough contract baggage already. I like Lee and all, but come on.

• Options

I think boston is 'in' on lee solely to drive the price up for the yanks. I will be shocked if he doesn't end up a yankee
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    The Fixer wrote:

I think boston is 'in' on lee solely to drive the price up for the yanks. I will be shocked if he doesn't end up a yankee

Has to now. Rangers are scaring me, I just dont see them going to 7 years.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Has to now. Rangers are scaring me, I just dont see them going to 7 years.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think Lee wants to be a yankee.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think Lee wants to be a yankee.

I hope so. He made some comments after a gem he pitched for Seattle at Yankees stadium last year that made it sound like he wanted to be a Yankee.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I hope so. He made some comments after a gem he pitched for Seattle at Yankees stadium last year that made it sound like he wanted to be a Yankee.

And he could have stated otherwise when his wife got abused at the game. He brushed that off because he knew he was gonna be playing there in 2011.

He is being smart...I think he is just using texas, DC, and boston. Like I said, I will be floored if he doesn't end up in pinstripes.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

And he could have stated otherwise when his wife got abused at the game. He brushed that off because he knew he was gonna be playing there in 2011.

He is being smart...I think he is just using texas, DC, and boston. Like I said, I will be floored if he doesn't end up in pinstripes.

True true. Me too, just getting nervous with the Boston moves.

Phillies signed Reyes. You like it? Not exactly a LOOGY.
This discussion has been closed.