***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Yeah, I've been hearing/reading things since Friday saying something to that effect. Dude who got a job on the radio from being a constant caller - Phil From Mount Airy - I guess thinks he's a legit person in the business now because he's going around throwing out the phrase, "my sources". Yeah, I'm sure he has sources. :roll:

Anyway, for what it's worth, the word is a 3 yr deal for around 55 mil with an option for a 4th year. Who knows. Probably all bullshit.

hahaha...that dude is the absolute worst. didn't know where it originated from.

he is the only bad thing about that eagles fans dvd from '04
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    eh and double eh...also the chisox are asking for brown in a quentin deal, so that ain't happening

Don't look for the Phillies to make any quick outfield strikes, either to sign or to replace Jayson Werth. They're waiting or the Werth drama to play out and for the non-tender-free-agent list to clarify their options. But in the meantime, we're hearing they're bearing down hard on left-handed relievers.

The guy who appears to top their list is Arthur Rhodes. But Rhodes just turned 41, has already spent one disastrous season in Philadelphia (0-5 in 2006, with a 5.32 ERA, followed by Tommy John surgery) and has a bunch of teams pursuing him now that the Cincinnati Reds have opted not to offer him arbitration.
    Right behind him, from all indications, is Pedro Feliciano. One of Feliciano's main selling points would be simply that Ryan Howard and Chase Utley wouldn't have to face him anymore. Those two are hitting a combined .208 against him in 80 (yep, 80) plate appearances over the past five seasons.
    JP, isn't this your boy? pretty sure you said you wanted phils to sign him.

The Mariners will non-tender Jose Lopez tomorrow, according to Mike Salk of 710 ESPN Seattle. The M's declined their option for Lopez earlier in the offseason and were not expected to offer the infielder a contract through the arbitration process.

The 27-year-old batted .239/.270/.339 in 622 plate appearances last year and saw his homer total drop from 25 to 10. Lopez has typically displayed more pop than he showed in 2010, but he has always had trouble reaching base, as his career .297 OBP shows. Lopez, who is eligible for free agency after 2011, played third last year, but has spent most of his career at second base. The Rockies have some interest in signing him.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    The Fixer wrote:

The Mariners will non-tender Jose Lopez tomorrow, according to Mike Salk of 710 ESPN Seattle. The M's declined their option for Lopez earlier in the offseason and were not expected to offer the infielder a contract through the arbitration process.

The 27-year-old batted .239/.270/.339 in 622 plate appearances last year and saw his homer total drop from 25 to 10. Lopez has typically displayed more pop than he showed in 2010, but he has always had trouble reaching base, as his career .297 OBP shows. Lopez, who is eligible for free agency after 2011, played third last year, but has spent most of his career at second base. The Rockies have some interest in signing him.

can we sign him as a late inning defensive replacement for Utley, especially for playoff games?

ha ha just being a wiseass.

and i got a hunch we re-sign Werth. Not sure why I feel that way but just a hunch i have that somehow someway Amaro makes it work. did you see Dom Brown is hitting like .043 in the winter league? not good
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    And I just read that Detroit didn't offer Mag Ordonez arbitration. Might be a good fit for a year, especially not having to surrender any picks.

oooh, I like him, but that's just the woman in me talking, sorry. :lol:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

can we sign him as a late inning defensive replacement for Utley, especially for playoff games?

and i got a hunch we re-sign Werth. Not sure why I feel that way but just a hunch i have that somehow someway Amaro makes it work. did you see Dom Brown is hitting like .043 in the winter league? not good

I did see that brown is struggling. I don't think there's any chance werth comes back though. he's asking for 6 years. I would go 4 at the absolute max
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I did see that brown is struggling. I don't think there's any chance werth comes back though. he's asking for 6 years. I would go 4 at the absolute max

The bigger worry for you guys is not that he is hitting so poorly in winter league, it's that he is not playing, at all! 23 AB's in 30 something games probably. Not good. I also absolutely love how the winter league teams could give a shit about getting players at bats and concentrate on winning.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The bigger worry for you guys is not that he is hitting so poorly in winter league, it's that he is not playing, at all! 23 AB's in 30 something games probably. Not good. I also absolutely love how the winter league teams could give a shit about getting players at bats and concentrate on winning.

I read that he was held out out of the first week or two of games because it had been so long since he played.

I think brown starts in AAA regardless. I think the phils go with the pu pu platter in RF to start the year. good times
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I read that he was held out out of the first week or two of games because it had been so long since he played.

I think brown starts in AAA regardless. I think the phils go with the pu pu platter in RF to start the year. good times

Really? I thought I remembered reading that the Phillies were upset with his lack of playing time.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:

Aaaaaaaannnnnnd I'm back.

Yes, like I said, wouldn't be a bad option off the bench to play all positions. I wouldn't necessarily say he's "my boy", but he plays third, short, and second so he'd probably come cheap and a better infield bat than Valdez.

And like I said about the 'pen, I'd rather have Feliciano than Rhodes. Rhodes had a stellar season, but he's older and Feliciano has a rubber arm.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Really? I thought I remembered reading that the Phillies were upset with his lack of playing time.

It's both. Took a couple weeks till Brown got down there, and I don't know if Moises Alou's the manager or GM, but apparently he's trying to put a resume together by winning in this podunk league.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's both. Took a couple weeks till Brown got down there, and I don't know if Moises Alou's the manager or GM, but apparently he's trying to put a resume together by winning in this podunk league.

Here is what I read on it.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/ ... er-league/

I do love how these teams go all out to win.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Here is what I read on it.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/ ... er-league/

I do love how these teams go all out to win.

Oh those crazy Latinos.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yes, like I said, wouldn't be a bad option off the bench to play all positions. I wouldn't necessarily say he's "my boy", but he plays third, short, and second so he'd probably come cheap and a better infield bat than Valdez.

And like I said about the 'pen, I'd rather have Feliciano than Rhodes. Rhodes had a stellar season, but he's older and Feliciano has a rubber arm.

I'm not real excited about rhodes or feliciano. they're both fossils
  • The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I don't get it. The Giants picked up their whole bullpen from the junkyard and made the Phils & Rangers look stupid. Please don't waste good money on pitchers who aren't good enough to start.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I think that's the point. This is the bullpen we're talking about here. And either are a step up from Romero.
    Rockies got your boy lopez
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Rockies got your boy lopez

The end is 'nigh.....
    And it looks like Diaz was non-tendered. I'd have no problem with them picking him up. Solid fielder at all spots and I like that he goes the other way with the ball.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    and Chase Utley made a throwing error on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (watch him throw the ball into the ground) although his facial expressions were hilarious.
    And it looks like Diaz was non-tendered. I'd have no problem with them picking him up. Solid fielder at all spots and I like that he goes the other way with the ball.

plus he can help with crowd control when idiots run onto the field

Word. Back when Ken Tekulve was doin radio and Neil Hartman was doing Channel 17's pregame. Good stuff.
    good info here, even though it is speculatory.

I'd LOVE to see the phils sign aybar. I have a bad feeling that they are gonna end up with george sherrill, which I will not be happy about. My first preference for the LH reliever role is fuentes.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... ments.html
  • So now who fills the Werth hole ?

Frenchy ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    So now who fills the Werth hole ?

Frenchy ?

u mean Domonic Brown?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    So now who fills the Werth hole ?

Frenchy ?

I will personally burn down South Philly if Francouer comes here. Diaz. Get Diaz if you're gonna go that route.
This discussion has been closed.