Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

True true. Me too, just getting nervous with the Boston moves.

Phillies signed Reyes. You like it? Not exactly a LOOGY.

meh. It's tough to get excited about these fringe relief pitcher signings. You really don't know what you're getting from year to year with most of these guys.

Reyes struggled vs lefties last year, but during his career I think he's been pretty solid.

1 year deal for a little over a million, so it's a low risk move. better than sherrill. I'm on board with this move
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

meh. It's tough to get excited about these fringe relief pitcher signings. You really don't know what you're getting from year to year with most of these guys.

Reyes struggled vs lefties last year, but during his career I think he's been pretty solid.

1 year deal for a little over a million, so it's a low risk move. better than sherrill. I'm on board with this move

Sure, make sense. And if he blows in June you cut him. Bullpens are such patchwork.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sure, make sense. And if he blows in June you cut him. Bullpens are such patchwork.

yep. I really think the key is not to overpay these types of players (like ed wade does). I am all for the short term, low risk deals with most bullpen guys. hopefully the phils get lucky with some of the guys they bring in
  • Options
    I get the impression that amaro likes to plant these seeds in an effort to get the fans to think he's trying to make stuff happen. No way in hell they get greinke. The more Rowand's name comes up, the more worried I get. Hopefully Durbin is another 1 year deal...that would be sweet.

Shooting for the moon, Amaro considers Greinke

Wednesday, December 8, 2010
    Posted: 8 p.m. | Updated: Dec. 9, 9:24 a.m.

By Jim Salisbury
    CSNPhilly.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. likes to aim high when it comes to acquiring players.

A year ago, Amaro’s think-big style led to the acquisition of Roy Halladay. In July, it led to Roy Oswalt. Before that, Amaro landed a guy named Cliff Lee.

“Our mantra is kind of, ‘If you’re not trying, you’re not trying,’” Amaro said.

On Day 3 of the winter meetings Wednesday, Amaro admitted that he is still living by that mantra.

“We have explored and tried and talked about acquiring some significant players,” he said. “We’ve tried to shoot for the moon on some things and laid some groundwork, but the possibility of them happening is kind of remote.”

As per his policy, Amaro would not discuss his shoot-for-the-moon targets, but two people with knowledge of the Phils’ thinking say one of them is Kansas City Royals right-hander Zack Greinke.

“They’ve talked about it,” said a person with knowledge of the situation.

Internally or with the Royals?

“Both,” the person said.

Now, before you get too excited about the possibility of adding the 2009 American League Cy Young winner to an already star-studded starting pitching force, remember this: Trades are difficult to make, and Greinke would require the Phils' parting with a number of prospects from a system that has been hit hard by trades in recent years. The Phils are reluctant to further drain their minor-league system. Nonetheless, they have considered what it would take to get Greinke. In the end, any team that gets Greinke might have to add a third team to the deal to get it done.

The Royals are not under pressure to deal Greinke, but it has become clear that they would move him for the right package. Greinke, 27, is signed for 2011 and 2012 at $13.5 million per season. He becomes a free agent after that. He has a 15-team no-trade clause, and the Phillies are not listed on it. One person with knowledge of the pitcher’s thinking said Greinke would accept a deal to Philadelphia.

If the Phils were to acquire Greinke, they would likely have to clear some salary by dealing either Raul Ibanez or Joe Blanton. The Phils’ payroll projects above $150 million for the coming season. While there are limits, club officials have said the payroll could be stretched for the “right opportunity.” Once upon a time, Jim Thome was the right opportunity. A talent like Greinke would probably be the right opportunity as well.

Like Amaro said, chances of these “shoot for the moon” deals are remote, but this situation bears watching. If nothing else it sure beats the days when big-time talents became available and the Phillies would dismiss the possibility of acquiring them without even being asked if it was possible. That happened in 1998 when Mike Piazza was on his way from the Dodgers to the Marlins to the Mets. As Piazza made a pit stop in Miami waiting for the Marlins to trade him, the Phillies preemptively told reporters that they would not be pursuing the superstar slugger.

While Greinke is a longshot, two others pitchers are not. The Phils have agreed to a one-year deal with left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes, and there seems to be a decent chance that Chad Durbin returns to the club.

Durbin quietly sneaked into these winter meetings on Wednesday and met with officials from several teams, including the Phillies. The Phils are believed to have made an offer to Durbin, who has spent the last three seasons with the club.

Reyes became the Phils’ primary focus when another lefty, George Sherrill, reached an agreement with Atlanta on Wednesday.

Reyes could fill the role of departed J.C. Romero, joining Antonio Bastardo as the two left-handers in the Phils’ bullpen.

While bullpen remains the Phils’ priority, the team would still like to add a right-handed hitting outfielder. The Phils have considered bringing back Aaron Rowand to be their fifth outfielder – if the Giants were to pick up a significant amount of the $24 million that remains on his contract, which runs through 2012.

Giants general manager Brian Sabean told reporters that he has nothing going with the Phillies regarding Rowand, but sources say the two teams have talked about a deal at some point this offseason.

Free-agent outfielders Jeff Francoeur and Matt Diaz, who had been targets of the Phillies, signed with Kansas City and Pittsburgh, respectively.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    F Werth leaving, there's worse news! Apparently rumors are abuzz of Franzke leaving. God fucking damnit. Hopefully this isn't true. THAT would be the biggest mistake they've made.

EDIT: Yep, interviewing for the TV play-by-play job for Texas. Fuck. There's goes the hope of Baldy McMantits getting ousted and Pedophile McRughead being replaced by LA. We're going to be telling our grandchildren how we once had this guy Harry Kalas who was the best in the game.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    F Werth leaving, there's worse news! Apparently rumors are abuzz of Franzke leaving. God fucking damnit. Hopefully this isn't true. THAT would be the biggest mistake they've made.

EDIT: Yep, interviewing for the TV play-by-play job for Texas. Fuck. There's goes the hope of Baldy McMantits getting ousted and Pedophile McRughead being replaced by LA. We're going to be telling our grandchildren how we once had this guy Harry Kalas who was the best in the game.

i thought he turned them down in october or something?

if the phils are stupid enough to tell him they're going to keep wheels and tmac on tv---i can't really blame him for wanting to leave though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

if the phils are stupid enough to tell him they're going to keep wheels and tmac on tv---i can't really blame him for wanting to leave though.

Definitely. Better for him, sure, to go back home, call play-by-play for your hometown team, who's now a legitimate team? Twist his arm.
  • Options

I just heard about this too. I think jim jackson would take over on the radio. I like him a lot. I'd love to see JJ take over on TV and get some new blood on the radio. anything is better than mccarthy and wheels. except joe theismann...listening to him for 3 hours tonight made my ears bleed
  • Options

Definitely. Better for him, sure, to go back home, call play-by-play for your hometown team, who's now a legitimate team? Twist his arm.

where are you seeing this though? only thing i could find was the stuff from 2 months ago...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I just heard about this too. I think jim jackson would take over on the radio. I like him a lot. I'd love to see JJ take over on TV and get some new blood on the radio. anything is better than mccarthy and wheels. except joe theismann...listening to him for 3 hours tonight made my ears bleed

i do not enjoy jj doing baseball play by play. pre/post game--fine. play by play.....eh, he gets a little shtick-ish with his calls.

losing franzke would suck.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

i do not enjoy jj doing baseball play by play. pre/post game--fine. play by play.....eh, he gets a little shtick-ish with his calls.

the only complaint that I have with JJ is that he's too much of a homer at times. every time a flyer hits the ice he says 'oh that's not called'. gets old.

LA is a bad homer too...gets annoying at times. I'm not a huge LA fan as an announcer. he's fun to get plastered with though
  • Options
    this is coming from howard eskin guys. franske denied it in a tweet....or at least said he's under contract for another year with the phils.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the only complaint that I have with JJ is that he's too much of a homer at times. every time a flyer hits the ice he says 'oh that's not called'. gets old.

LA is a bad homer too...gets annoying at times. I'm not a huge LA fan as an announcer. he's fun to get plastered with though

well their paychecks say "phillies" on them. hk was the ultimate homer...also the best ever.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

where are you seeing this though? only thing i could find was the stuff from 2 months ago...

Yeah, I may be jumping the gun, just saw a new update on crossingbroad, but Scott's saying he's under contract another year. So......I guess nothing's fucked here....yet.

And I agree that JJ would probably take over if he did leave. I don't mind Jackson doing any sport, he's got that old-time feel with the way he talks. Carries a game like it's being played in the 1930's. With that said, losing Frankze would still suck.

Hopefully Frankze at some point goes to tv and JJ does radio. That's I'll be fine with. All the while somewhere McCarthy is breastfeeding baby pigs.
  • Options

Yeah, I may be jumping the gun, just saw a new update on crossingbroad, but Scott's saying he's under contract another year. So......I guess nothing's fucked here....yet.

And I agree that JJ would probably take over if he did leave. I don't mind Jackson doing any sport, he's got that old-time feel with the way he talks. Carries a game like it's being played in the 1930's. With that said, losing Frankze would still suck.

Hopefully Frankze at some point goes to tv and JJ does radio. That's I'll be fine with. All the while somewhere McCarthy is breastfeeding baby pigs.

mccarthy breastfeeding is hilarious. hahahahaha. I can definitely picture this.

HK was a homer, but he somehow did it without being annoying. I can't really explain it...he was the best.

I do agree that losing franzke would suck. I'm a big fan of his.

I got a text about him going to texas from a buddy. no clue where he heard or saw it.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

mccarthy breastfeeding is hilarious. hahahahaha. I can definitely picture this.

HK was a homer, but he somehow did it without being annoying. I can't really explain it...he was the best.

I do agree that losing franzke would suck. I'm a big fan of his.

I got a text about him going to texas from a buddy. no clue where he heard or saw it.

admit it. you follow howard eskin on this twitter thing the kids are raving about :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm all about homers for my home broadcast as long as they can call the same players on the carpet when they sucks, they are legit in their broadcasting skills and/or funny. JJ, Franzke, LA, Reese, Saunders, McGinnis(speaking of which, I have had no real reason to listen to him in years, which is unfortunate). Check, check, aaannnnd check.
  • Options
    I'm all about homers for my home broadcast as long as they can call the same players on the carpet when they sucks, they are legit in their broadcasting skills and/or funny. JJ, Franzke, LA, Reese, Saunders, McGinnis(speaking of which, I have had no real reason to listen to him in years, which is unfortunate). Check, check, aaannnnd check.

good point. I think tim saunders is horrendous. When he yells SCCOOOOOOOOORRESS it is like nails on a chalkboard.

Jeags, I would rather be forced to suck on mccarthy's pancake nipples than listen to anything howard eskin has to say
  • Options
    Love this annual article...from baseball america

For a team that has lost more games than any other in major league history, the Phillies are in heady territory. Though they fell short of their third straight National League pennant in 2010, it would be hard to argue that this isn't the best era in franchise history.

Philadelphia finished with the best record in the majors for the first time in franchise history, despite injuries to Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, and looked on track to reach a third consecutive World Series before tripping up against the Giants in the NL Championship Series.

Long-pursued trade target Roy Halladay finally came over from the Blue Jays in an offseason deal that cost the Phillies three of their top prospects in righthander Kyle Drabek, catcher Travis d'Arnaud and outfielder Michael Taylor. Halladay won Baseball America's Major League Player of the Year award after pitching a perfect game in May and finishing 21-10, 2.44. In his playoff debut, he no-hit the Reds in the Division Series opener.

The Halladay trade continued the Phillies' recent habit of sending away prospects for elite pitching help, which continued when they went out and got Roy Oswalt from the Astros in July, in exchange for J.A. Happ and minor leaguers Anthony Gose and Jonathan Villar. Deals for Joe Blanton in 2008, Cliff Lee in 2009 and Halladay and Oswalt in 2010 sent away a significant amount of young talent, but accomplished the goal of keeping the team on top while its nucleus of everyday players is at its peak. Philadelphia tried to recoup some young talent by trading Lee to Mariners after acquiring Halladay, but righthanders Phillippe Aumonth and J.C. Ramirez and outfielder Tyson Gillies all had forgettable seasons.

The one player the Phillies steadfastly have refused to deal is outfielder Domonic Brown, No. 1 on this list for the last three years. There isn't much upper-level depth behind Brown, but the system does have lower-level talent with upside. Said one scout last summer: "No team has more talent in A-ball than the Phillies."

Low Class A Lakewood has won back-to-back South Atlantic League titles. After Brown, the next six prospects on this list all played for the BlueClaws in 2010, including sweet-swinging first baseman Jonathan Singleton and hard-throwing righthanders Brody Colvin and Jarred Cosart.

Assuming he takes over from departed free agent Jayson Werth as the everyday right fielder in 2011, Brown will be the first homegrown position player to join the Philadelphia lineup since Howard in 2005. The organization hopes he's the beginning of a wave of youngsters who will reinvigorate an aging team. The 2010 lineup—roughly the same one that has won four consecutive NL East titles—was by far the oldest in the league, with an average age of 31.9 years.

Whether because of age or the growing payroll that accompanies trading for proven major leaguers, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. may have to tweak his approach going forward. For now, the Phillies have become a model of consistency: a major league core of stars signed for the foreseeable future, with a commitment to player development. If the current group can keep winning for another year or two, the talent in the lower minors should arrive just in time.

One veteran scouting director said it's possible that the Phillies could go on a Braves-like run of division titles.

1. Domonic Brown, of Born: Sept. 3, 1987 • B-T: L-L • Ht: 6-5 • Wt: 200
    Drafted: HS—Redan, Ga., 2006 (20th round) • Signed by: Chip Lawrence
    Background: A football and baseball star in high school, Brown had the opportunity to play wide receiver and outfield for Miami. He moved from Pasco (Fla.) High to Redan (Ga.) High before his senior season because of a messy custody dispute between his mother and father, but still dominated the competition—in both sports and both states—in two of the nation's most heavily scouted areas. Still, he never was considered an elite prospect despite playing in several top showcases. Scouts kept their distance since Brown was raw and had lofty bonus demands, but area scout Chip Lawrence tracked Brown closely and persuaded the Phillies to take a flier on him in the 20th round of the 2006 draft. The team's top scouts evaluated Brown during the summer before signing him away from the Hurricanes for $200,000. He broke out by winning the Hawaii Winter Baseball batting title (.386) after the 2008 season, and has ranked among the game's top prospects ever since. Brown played in the Futures Game and set career highs in most offensive categories in 2010, and he might have won Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year award had he not earned a big league promotion in late July. He played sparingly in Philadelphia, though he did hit his first two major league homers and made the postseason roster.

Scouting Report: Brown is the prototype of the high-risk, high-reward players the Phillies like to take. He reminds some scouts of Carl Crawford, who turned down a Nebraska football scholarship to sign with the Devil Rays in 1999. Brown is a physical specimen, with a lean, lithe and powerful frame that draws comparisons to a young Barry Bonds and Darryl Strawberry. He has five-tool ability, with his bat has getting the most attention. Brown creates incredible bat speed with his whip-like, uppercut swing and has eliminated previous questions about his power. He developed a good eye for the strike zone in the minors, though he was overly aggressive during his first stint in the big leagues. For a player with such long arms, he has a relatively short stroke with few holes. Assuming he eliminates a tendency to open his front side too early in his swing, he could hit .300 with 20-25 homers annually once he gets established in Philadelphia. He also has above-average speed and the strongest outfield arm in the system. The biggest question about his game revolves around how talented a defender Brown can be in right field. He has plenty of athleticism but needs to improve his route-running and footwork. He went to the Dominican Winter League to work on his defense.

The Future: Brown drew rave reviews during his first big league camp last spring, working hard and showing no fear. With another spring like that following the departure of free agent Jayson Werth, he'll take over as the Phillies' everyday right fielder in 2011. Manager Charlie Manuel likes to break in youngsters slowly, so Brown could start the year platooning with Ben Francisco or even get a little more time at Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He's a future all-star, but he's not a finished product.

2010 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
    Reading (AA) .318 .391 .602 236 50 75 16 3 15 47 29 51 12
    Lehigh Valley (AAA) .346 .390 .561 107 15 37 6 1 5 21 8 23 5
    Philadelphia .210 .257 .355 62 8 13 3 0 2 13 5 24 2

2. Jonathan Singleton, 1b/of Born: Sept. 18, 1991 • B-T: L-L • Ht: 6-2 • Wt: 215
    Drafted: HS—Lakewood, Calif., 2009 (8th round) • Signed by: Demetrius Pittman
    Background: Singleton impressed on the showcase circuit in 2008, but his summer performance didn't carry over into his senior year, when he pressed and hit .321 with just four home runs. The Phillies still saw him as an advanced high school hitter and signed him for $200,000 as an eighth-rounder. The youngest regular in the low Class A South Atlantic League last year, he rated as the circuit's top prospect and ranked third in on-base percentage (.393) and fourth in slugging (.479) at age 18.

Scouting Report: Singleton has uncanny balance and rhythm at the plate, as well as solid pitch recognition. His swing is simple and compact, and the strength in his hands, wrists and forearms gives him easy plus raw power. As with most young hitters, his swing can get long at times. He's not as athletic as his father Herb, a former quarterback at Oregon, but Singleton is light on his feet. He has a solid-average arm.

The Future: With Ryan Howard signed through 2016, Singleton will have to find a different position to crack Philadelphia's lineup. He started working out in left field in July and continued in instructional league, showing enough promise that he'll play there at high Class A Clearwater in 2011. He could be ready for the big leagues in 2013.

Lakewood (Lo A) .290 .393 .479 376 64 109 25 2 14 77 62 74 9

3. Brody Colvin, rhp Born: Aug. 14, 1990 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-4 • Wt: 195
    Drafted: HS—Lafayette, La., 2009 (7th round) • Signed by: Mike Stauffer
    Background: Though Colvin was considered a sandwich-round talent coming out of high school, his Louisiana State commitment scared teams off. Area scout Mike Stauffer did a good job getting to know Colvin, however, and the Phillies drafted him in the seventh round and signed him for $900,000, by far the most they spent on a 2009 draft pick. He had an 8.40 ERA after seven outings last year, then posted a 2.00 ERA in his final 20 starts, adding velocity along the way.

Scouting Report: Scouts love Colvin's live arm and strong frame. His fastball sits at 92-94 mph and he can reach back for 97 when needed. He shows signs of two above-average secondary offerings, an upper-70s curveball and an 83-85 mph changeup. His competitiveness helps him maximize his stuff. Philadelphia worked to clean up Colvin's delivery, but it still needs some refinement. He throws across his body from a high three-quarters arm slot and sometimes gets on the side of his curveball. Some scouts have questioned Colvin's makeup and he was arrested on three misdemeanor charges last February, but the Phillies aren't concerned.

The Future: Colvin has No. 2 starter potential and took a giant step in his first full pro. He'll open the 2011 season in high Class A but could finish it at Double-A Reading.

2010 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO AVG
    Lakewood (Lo A) 6 8 3.39 27 27 0 0 138 138 7 42 120 .258

4. Jarred Cosart, rhp Born: May 25, 1990 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-3 • Wt: 180
    Drafted: HS—League City, Texas, 2008 (38th round) • Signed by: Steve Cohen
    Background: Negotiations between Cosart's father Joe and Phillies brass went down to the wire during an American Legion game that ended less than an hour before the 2008 signing deadline, with the team prying Cosart away from a Missouri commitment for a $550,000 bonus in the 38th round. A talented two-way player, he broke Clear Creek (Texas) High's batting average record (.506) previously set by Jay Buhner. Shoulder and back pain delayed his pro debut in 2009, and a tender elbow shut him down in mid-2010 and kept him out of the Futures Game.

Scouting Report: Cosart is tall and lean, and scouts regard his arm as one of the most electric in the minor leagues. His fastball sits at 94-98 mph, usually at the top end of that range, with good life. His 77-79 mph curveball is a solid-average pitch, while his low-80s changeup is a work in progress. His command is advanced for his age and lively stuff. The biggest concern with Cosart is his health, though his arm action and delivery raise no red flags. His maturity and work ethic also have been called into question.

The Future: Cosart pitched without pain in instructional league and should be able to begin the 2011 season in high Class A. He has the potential to become a No. 1 starter or closer—if he can stay healthy.

Lakewood (Lo A) 7 3 3.79 14 14 1 0 71 60 3 16 77 .224

5. Trevor May, rhp Born: Sept. 23, 1989 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-5 • Wt: 215
    Drafted: HS—Kelso, Wash., 2008 (4th round) • Signed by: Dave Ryles
    Background: May rated as Washington state's top prospect in the 2008 draft before signing for $375,000 as a fourth-round pick. He has been part of Lakewood's back-to-back South Atlantic League titles, allowing just one run in four playoff starts. He wasn't supposed to be in low Class A last year, but when his mechanics and control got out of whack, May got demoted at midseason at the suggestion of senior adviser and former GM Pat Gillick.

Scouting Report: Scouts love to project on May's sturdy 6-foot-5 frame. His best pitch is his 91-95 mph fastball, which has heavy life and great angle. His high three-quarters arm slot also produces armside run. May's 76-79 mph curveball could become a plus pitch as it gains consistency. His changeup sits at 81-84 mph and has similar promise. The Phillies have worked to simplify May's delivery, which he struggles to repeat. He often flies open with his front side and drops his elbow on offspeed pitches. He also has a tendency to fall in love with strikeouts and overthrow.

The Future: May got back on track in the second half, setting the stage to take another crack at high Class A in 2011. A potential No. 2 or 3 starter, he'll pitch alongside Brody Colvin and Jarred Cosart on what should be a loaded Clearwater staff.

Clearwater (Hi A) 5 5 5.01 16 14 0 0 70 53 7 61 90 .212
    Lakewood (Lo A) 7 3 2.91 11 11 0 0 65 51 3 20 92 .214

6. Sebastian Valle, c Born: July 24, 1990 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-1 • Wt: 170
    Signed: Mexico • Signed by: Sal Agostinelli
    Background: Phillies international supervisor Sal Agostinelli runs a budget-minded department that signed Valle for $30,000 out of Mexico in 2006. Since struggling at Lakewood to start 2009, Valle has taken bigger strides than any other player in the system. He was named short-season Williamsport's MVP that summer and impressed in the Mexican Pacific League that winter, then conquered low Class A last season.

Scouting Report: Valle has the tools to hit for power and play good defense. He employs a high leg kick to keep his weight back, and his strong wrists that generate pure bat speed. He must work on making more contact and showing more discipline, as he gets pull-happy and is a free swinger. He looks overmatched at times against premium pitching. Valle's arm strength and release improved in the second half of 2010, and he threw out 33 percent of basestealers last season. His receiving skills also are also solid. He moves well behind the plate, though he's a below-average runner.

The Future: The Phillies had enough confidence in Valle to include backstops Lou Marson and Travis d'Arnaud in trades for Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay. With Carlos Ruiz entrenched in Philadelphia, Valle doesn't have to be rushed. He'll manage Clearwater's deep pitching staff in 2011.

Lakewood (Lo A) .255 .298 .430 447 51 114 28 1 16 74 27 101 3

7. Jiwan James, of Born: April 11, 1989 • B-T: B-R • Ht: 6-4 • Wt: 195
    Drafted: HS—Williston, Fla., 2007 (22nd round) • Signed by: Chip Lawrence
    Background: James was an all-state football, basketball and baseball player in high school before turning pro for $150,000 in the 22nd round. He was signed by the same scout, Chip Lawrence, who wouldn't quit on Domonic Brown. James spent his first two years in pro ball as a pitcher until he came down with a stress reaction in his forearm, then moved to the outfield in 2009. He put together a 24-game hitting streak last summer in his first taste of full-season ball.

Scouting Report: An incredible athlete, James draws comparisons to Brown with his long, lean frame. A switch-hitter, James is much better from his natural left side. From the right side, he's more defensive and slaps at the ball. James doesn't use his lower half in his swing and he has poor pitch recognition. He's not going to hit many homers, but he should be able to collect extra-base hits with his plus-plus speed. Defensively, James has incredible range and gets good reads off the bat. Combine that with his solid-average arm, and he has the potential to be a top-notch centerfielder. The Phillies also love his makeup.

The Future: It's hard to ignore James' four-tool package, but how much he hits will determine how far he goes. He'll advance to high Class A Clearwater in 2011.

Lakewood (Lo A) .270 .321 .365 556 85 150 26 6 5 64 35 132 33

8. Jesse Biddle, lhp Born: Oct. 22, 1991 • B-T: L-L • Ht: 6-4 • Wt: 225
    Drafted: HS—Philadelphia, 2010 (1st round) • Signed by: Eric Valent
    Background: Biddle didn't pitch much as a junior at Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia, but he emerged on the summer circuit. No one followed him more closely last spring than his hometown Phillies, who scouted every one of his starts. After Philadelphia selected him 27th overall and signed him away from an Oregon commitment for $1.16 million, he reached Williamsport during a successful pro debut.

Scouting Report: Biddle is a projectable lefty whose frame evokes Clayton Kershaw's. Biddle's fastball easily sits at 91-94 mph with armside run, and he could add more velocity with time. Biddle's 77-81 mph changeup shows flashes of being a plus pitch. He throws a low-70s curveball, which is in its nascent stages, and scouts are encouraged by his ability to spin the ball. During the spring, he flashed a slider that some scouts thought had more potential than his curve. More than anything, the Phillies rave about Biddle's makeup and competitiveness. He'll have to smooth out his delivery, which features a small head jerk. He'll also need to improve his fastball command and be more consistent with his offspeed pitches.

The Future: Biddle has frontline-starter potential, and some scouts compare him to Brian Matusz. He'll spend his first full pro season in low Class A.

GCL Phillies (R) 3 1 4.32 9 9 1 0 33 35 2 9 41 .263
    Williamsport (SS) 1 0 2.61 3 3 0 0 10 5 0 11 9 .152

9. Domingo Santana, of Born: Aug. 5, 1992 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-5 • Wt: 200
    Signed: Dominican Republic, 2008 • Signed by:
    Background: The Phillies don't often give six-figure bonuses to international prospects, but they signed Santana for $330,000 in 2008. Born in the Bahamas and signed out of the Dominican Republic, he wasn't ready to handle low Class A pitching last year as a 17-year-old. His numbers picked up when he went to Williamsport in June, though his inexperience still showed.

Scouting Report: All the pieces are there for Santana to be the player Philadelphia hopes he can be—a power-hitter who plays above-average defense on an outfield corner. He's athletic and physically imposing. Fundamentally sound at the plate, he has a natural load and incredible raw power. He works the center of the field well and doesn't get pull-happy. He'll have to do a better job of recognizing pitches, as he struggles with hard stuff inside and breaking balls away. He has the plus speed and arm strength to be a quality right fielder, though he needs more game repetition to improve defensively.

The Future: When scouts fall in love with his upside and tools, Santana summons Vladimir Guerrero comparisons, but he's still very raw and a lot has to go right for him to reach his ceiling. The Phillies don't want him to get in over his head again, so he'll have to earn a return to Lakewood in spring training.

Lakewood (Lo A) .182 .322 .297 165 27 30 10 0 3 16 29 76 5
    Williamsport (SS) .237 .336 .366 186 28 44 9 0 5 20 23 73 4

10. Aaron Altherr, of Born: Jan. 14, 1991 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 6-5 • Wt: 190
    Signed: HS—Buckeye, Ariz., 2009 (9th round) • Signed by: Brad Holland
    Background: Altherr is yet another toolsy Phillies prospect, and no player in the system improved his stock more last year. Born in Germany, he was better known in high school for his basketball talent. He hit .446 as a senior in 2009 while starring as a shortstop and a pitcher, showing enough to earn a $150,000 bonus as a ninth-round pick. He began 2010 year in extended spring training before repeating the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, where he made enough progress to merit a promotion to Williamsport.

Scouting Report: For such a big, young hitter, Altherr takes a relatively short path to the ball, allowing him to make consistent hard contact. His lanky, fast-twitch frame doesn't produce many home runs now, but he should have at least average power once he fills out. Currently an average runner, he could develop plus speed once he gets more body control. Altherr is still raw and needs more time in the outfield, where he can play all three positions now but profiles best in a corner. His arm strength significantly improved last year and now grades as average.

The Future: The Phillies have plenty of projectable outfield prospects, but only Brown has a higher all-around upside than Altherr. Like Brown did, Altherr will open his third professional season at Lakewood as a breakout candidate.

GCL Phillies (R) .287 .350 .426 94 11 27 7 3 0 10 8 13 2
    Williamsport (SS) .304 .331 .400 115 12 35 6 1 1 15 3 22 10
  • Options
    no way... :lol:

There are still rumblings about a third team, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). The mystery team's offer appears to be significantly lower than the Yankees' proposal, but it's from a place Lee "loves."
    :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

There are still rumblings about a third team, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). The mystery team's offer appears to be significantly lower than the Yankees' proposal, but it's from a place Lee "loves."
    Almost every site is talkn about it. There's reports were tryn to shop Blanton to free up some cash. Kinda funny how the roles reversed there.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

Almost every site is talkn about it. There's reports were tryn to shop Blanton to free up some cash. Kinda funny how the roles reversed there.

beat it blanton you turd :mrgreen: ......there's no way this happens!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

beat it blanton you turd :mrgreen: ......there's no way this happens!

I will always have love for joe B.

season tickets renewed...check
    spring training trip booked...check
    getting cliff lee for xmas...hopefully
  • Options
    wouldn't the players union have a fit if lee somehow does accept a significally less deal to come here though?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    wouldn't the players union have a fit if lee somehow does accept a significally less deal to come here though?

absolutely. they take that shit seriously. I remember reading how pissed they were at halladay when he signed for less than market value.

I think Lee is just using the phils and rangers to get the yanks to up their offer. my guess is that the chances of lee signing here are less than 10 percent
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    Yankees think you guys got him. Why the fuck
  • Options
    oh my god. oh my god. oh my god. oh my god. oh my god.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/ ... cliff-lee/

cliffy---do you think the yankees will make a trade for joe blanton?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

this is unreal.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    so if Lee comes back, I'm hear Joe Blanton is the odd man out?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    so if Lee comes back, I'm hear Joe Blanton is the odd man out?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "IF?"

greatest rotation in the history of the universe......right here. right now.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :clap:

Thank you Phillies.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
This discussion has been closed.