***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I thought it was going to be a 3 game series with the division winners getting a bye. I don't like that proposal at all.

If they want more playoff games they should just make the divisional round best of 7.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:
    I thought it was going to be a 3 game series with the division winners getting a bye. I don't like that proposal at all.

If they want more playoff games they should just make the divisional round best of 7.

That was one of the proposals I heard. They still need to go to the players' union with a mutual concept.

Start the season on April 1st, be done by September 30th, boom.

Yeah, I want a 7 game division series as well. It's not just more games though for the business side of it. Players and owners make more money, more teams involved, more fans have more interest, therefore everyone wins.

And like I said, there's an actual advantage to winning your division.

I'd have the season end on the last Sunday of September, wild card playoff of 3 games start on the next day, end on Wednesday, division series start on Thursday. Wild card with best record can choose to have the first two games or last two games at home.
    The Fixer wrote:

That was one of the proposals I heard. They still need to go to the players' union with a mutual concept.

Start the season on April 1st, be done by September 30th, boom.

Yeah, I want a 7 game division series as well. It's not just more games though for the business side of it. Players and owners make more money, more teams involved, more fans have more interest, therefore everyone wins.

And like I said, there's an actual advantage to winning your division.

I'd have the season end on the last Sunday of September, wild card playoff of 3 games start on the next day, end on Wednesday, division series start on Thursday. Wild card with best record can choose to have the first two games or last two games at home.

I guess I could live with that.

Looks like the Fixer is hitting spring training. I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy tickets. ANyone know where they sell them? Last time I was in Clearwater I just scalped them
    The Fixer wrote:

Looks like the Fixer is hitting spring training. I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy tickets. ANyone know where they sell them? Last time I was in Clearwater I just scalped them

That's awesome. I can't wait to get back to doing that trip annually again. I would get them on the Phillies site. I would find out when they go onsale and buy berm tickets. Those Frenchy's seats are sweet too. I love that trip, especially for St. Patty's Day. Once I'm gainfully employed again, I want to take a week down there during St. Pat's, renting a house on the beach, getting hammered, and betting on tourney games when I'm not at the games or on the beach.
    The Fixer wrote:

That's awesome. I can't wait to get back to doing that trip annually again. I would get them on the Phillies site. I would find out when they go onsale and buy berm tickets. Those Frenchy's seats are sweet too. I love that trip, especially for St. Patty's Day. Once I'm gainfully employed again, I want to take a week down there during St. Pat's, renting a house on the beach, getting hammered, and betting on tourney games when I'm not at the games or on the beach.

I lived in florida for a while a few years ago. I was in SE florida, but I had the entire state as my sales territory. I called on a bunch of hospitals in the greater tampa area, so I was there a lot. Clearwarter was by far my favorite place to visit (not because of the phils...that was just a bonus). That area is awesome.

I don't really give a shit where I sit. The only game I went to I bought tix the day of the game. Paid 25 bucks and was 10 rows behind the yankees on deck circle. Planning on hitting a couple of games. I'd like to have tix to one of the games and I figure I can scalp if I want to hit more games. I'm pretty fired up...march will be here before we know it.

florida, st pattys day, spring training, ncaa tourney...doesn't get much better than that
    And it's usually spring break - if it moves you. All I know is the bars are full of promiscuous women.

Holy shit. ELEVEN goals now in this game. Crazy.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    ibanez = poop cheeseburger. god bless ruben if he can find someone stupid enough to take him...

Ibanez on the Block? Discuss
    That's the rumor coming out of Major League Baseball's GM meetings in Florida. Ruben Amaro is down there touting his veteran left fielder, leading some reporters to believe he's trying to trade Raul.

Every person I've spoken to and suggested the Phils trade Ibanez scoffed at the notion, with responses typically somewhere along the lines of, "Where would they find somebody stupid enough to do that?" The 38-year-old is due to make $11.5 mil next season, then become a free agent.

It might not be that outrageous though. In a lineup with Ryan Howard, Jayson Werth, Chase Utley, and Jimmy Rollins, Ibanez is just another guy. For one season though, he could help one of the many less fortunate clubs without their making a huge commitment to a highly paid, aging player.

That's not to say any of those teams are willing to give up very much. That doesn't seem to be the point either. Moving Ibanez would be more like a salary dump, perhaps in preparation of reaching a new deal with Werth. It also opens up a spot in the outfield so Domonic Brown can become an everyday player.

We have to be rooting for this, right? Ibanez is a solid player who has the right attitude, but moving him could solve both of the Phillies' biggest off-season problems: finding a way to hold on to Werth, and infusing some youth into the starting lineup.
    www.myspace.com
    Holding off on booking my spring training trip until this announcement. If PJ hits florida in march I will be one happy dude
    Lopes signed on with the Dodgers. Weak
    The Fixer wrote:
    Holding off on booking my spring training trip until this announcement. If PJ hits florida in march I will be one happy dude

So wait, is there some kind of tour coming or something?

Wrecking ball goes to town on the Spectrum tomorrow.
    The Fixer wrote:

So wait, is there some kind of tour coming or something?

Wrecking ball goes to town on the Spectrum tomorrow.

Apparently there is going to be an announcement made this week. Speculation is now a EV solo tour.

RIP Spectrum...wish they'd keep that place for concerts

My favorite player of all-time. Thank God I didn't know all this when I was 11.

cant wait for the movie.

you know a movie will come out about him at some point. amazing story.
    www.myspace.com

cant wait for the movie.

Him and Iverson - both of them I can see some kind of biopic.

"Soft as Nails: The Rise & Fall of Len Dykstra" starring Sean Astin.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

cant wait for the movie.

Him and Iverson - both of them I can see some kind of biopic.

"Soft as Nails: The Rise & Fall of Len Dykstra" starring Sean Astin.

it will end with either the phils or mets hiring him as a hitting instructor or something....baseball made him millions but ultimately helped destroyed his life.....baseball then later saves his life. lenny! lenny! lenny!
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    it will end with either the phils or mets hiring him as a hitting instructor or something....baseball made him millions but ultimately helped destroyed his life.....baseball then later saves his life. lenny! lenny! lenny!

sadly Jaegs i don't see it ending that well - did you see the HBO Real Sports story on him last year? He looks and acts crazy. i got a bad feeling it ends in a bad way for Lenny. Hope I'm wrong because he was one of all time favorites as well, will never ever forget him in '93. he was incredible in the playoffs.
    No arbitration for durbin. looks like he's outta here
    The Fixer wrote:
    No arbitration for durbin. looks like he's outta here

I don't mind him, but he's replaceable. And I'm sure whatever he got in arbitration would've been more than they would like to pay him.
    And I just read that Detroit didn't offer Mag Ordonez arbitration. Might be a good fit for a year, especially not having to surrender any picks.
    And I just read that Detroit didn't offer Mag Ordonez arbitration. Might be a good fit for a year, especially not having to surrender any picks.

yeah, if he comes cheap he could be a decent fit.

great article breaking down the arb process and compensation, which can be confusing

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... ation.html
    pjhawks wrote:

sadly Jaegs i don't see it ending that well - did you see the HBO Real Sports story on him last year? He looks and acts crazy. i got a bad feeling it ends in a bad way for Lenny. Hope I'm wrong because he was one of all time favorites as well, will never ever forget him in '93. he was incredible in the playoffs.

it's a movie. i don't see it happening either.
    www.myspace.com
    probably just be a rumor/posturing on boras' part. still nice to know we're still in the mix.

make it happen ruben!
    www.myspace.com
    Yeah, I've been hearing/reading things since Friday saying something to that effect. Dude who got a job on the radio from being a constant caller - Phil From Mount Airy - I guess thinks he's a legit person in the business now because he's going around throwing out the phrase, "my sources". Yeah, I'm sure he has sources. :roll:

Anyway, for what it's worth, the word is a 3 yr deal for around 55 mil with an option for a 4th year. Who knows. Probably all bullshit.
    Yeah, I've been hearing/reading things since Friday saying something to that effect. Dude who got a job on the radio from being a constant caller - Phil From Mount Airy - I guess thinks he's a legit person in the business now because he's going around throwing out the phrase, "my sources". Yeah, I'm sure he has sources. :roll:

Anyway, for what it's worth, the word is a 3 yr deal for around 55 mil with an option for a 4th year. Who knows. Probably all bullshit.

they're giving callers host jobs now???? there's reason number 2,305,979 why I don't listen to local sports talk radio. ever
    The Fixer wrote:

they're giving callers host jobs now???? there's reason number 2,305,979 why I don't listen to local sports talk radio. ever

AND he's got sources.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Who? Werth? Where is this?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Who? Werth? Where is this?

no regard for us who have no idea what they're talking about :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
This discussion has been closed.