***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Trade Rollins and Victorino,resign Werth move him to cf(insert the fixers comment here) then rip up Oswalt"s contract and agree to a new 3yr deal. Sign a decent right handed bat(possible Vlad or Mags) that can platoon with both corner OF spots. So basically it's Rollins and Shane for Werth and Oswalt,i'll take the big bat and Pitcher over a SS who's injury prone and a cf who is the dumbest player in baseball anyday.

Oh boy.
    Oh boy what???????????

The argument this is going to start.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    yeah, I can understand a victorino trade. and he's signed for 2 or 3 years at a reasonable rate, so he's somewhat attractive to other teams. also, victorino is easier to replace than rollins.

it should be an interesting offseason. no need to do anything too drastic. their core is still intact, just need some complimentary pieces. and hope that utley, rollins, howard, victorino rebound from down years in 2010

I'm hoping that amaro brings in some mid-level veteran free agents to sure up the OF and bullpen (short term deals on the cheap). if those moves don't work you try to swing a trade at the deadline...or go the SF route and pick up guys on the scrap heap.
  • Trade Rollins and Victorino,resign Werth move him to cf(insert the fixers comment here) then rip up Oswalt"s contract and agree to a new 3yr deal. Sign a decent right handed bat(possible Vlad or Mags) that can platoon with both corner OF spots. So basically it's Rollins and Shane for Werth and Oswalt,i'll take the big bat and Pitcher over a SS who's injury prone and a cf who is the dumbest player in baseball anyday.

To echo everyone else, this is awful. Werth is just an adequate CF. Vlad can't play the field because he has artificial knees (well almost). Victorino is a smarter (well, less dumb) player than Werth.

What's Oswalt have to do with it? Just be glad we have him next year, and not for 100 years like Burnett.

Rollins will have a big 2011. Who would play SS, Desi Relaford? Double Play Valdez?

This sounds like something a WIP caller would come up with.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    try again jammingpearls :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com

haha, I was going to say that I thought he was married.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Fixer, I'm coming at you with this one because I think you will enjoy it.

Randy Miller, whom I respect tremendously as a baseball writer, was on the radio suggesting trading Chase Utley. Stick that in your man love pipe and smoke it. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I wouldn't do it either.
  • Fixer, I'm coming at you with this one because I think you will enjoy it.

Randy Miller, whom I respect tremendously as a baseball writer, was on the radio suggesting trading Chase Utley. Stick that in your man love pipe and smoke it. :mrgreen:

I really think we're looking at big bounce-back seasons for Utley, Rollins & Victorino.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I know she's from Philly. So maybe she's from frequent Irish Pub after hours visits and she just deals with it better than others. All I know is my buddy had a chance to drink with him in Toronto, but things got screwed up - as my buddy says - so I blame him for not coming through with such a galivanting night. Two dudes I want to drink with - Eddie Vedder and Pat Burrell. One for idolization reasons, and the latter because the dude gets straight up weird. And I can respect that.

I really think we're looking at big bounce-back seasons for Utley, Rollins & Victorino.

Definitely concur with the first two, but I don't know about Vic. Dude's gotta stop trying to jack the ball. Want to see what made him a favorite of mine back in '07 - the drag bunt.

Utley is my favorite philly athlete of all time (passed lindros after 2008 WS). That said, I'm a phillies fan first and I would trade him if the deal made sense. It would have to be a huge return for the phils.

the thing is that if they trade him this offseason they are selling low, which would be stupid. unless they know that his hip is messed up more than any of us know.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I know she's from Philly. So maybe she's from frequent Irish Pub after hours visits and she just deals with it better than others. All I know is my buddy had a chance to drink with him in Toronto, but things got screwed up - as my buddy says - so I blame him for not coming through with such a galivanting night. Two dudes I want to drink with - Eddie Vedder and Pat Burrell. One for idolization reasons, and the latter because the dude gets straight up weird. And I can respect that.

number 3---the chuck wagon. i have a couple friends who were throwing back shots with him all night at the capital grill a few weeks back. dude's got stories out the wazooo.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Utley is my favorite philly athlete of all time (passed lindros after 2008 WS). That said, I'm a phillies fan first and I would trade him if the deal made sense. It would have to be a huge return for the phils.

the thing is that if they trade him this offseason they are selling low, which would be stupid. unless they know that his hip is messed up more than any of us know.

wait, lindros used to be your favorite philly athlete of all time? for some reason that strikes me as odd coming from you.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

What would make sense though? What team can offer a return and afford him. Seattle or Florida won't pay him so there goes Felix and Johnson, who else would you consider?

number 3---the chuck wagon. i have a couple friends who were throwing back shots with him all night at the capital grill a few weeks back. dude's got stories out the wazooo.

Nice. If I could sit at the same blackjack table I would. Now there's a night of ridiculousness.
    The Fixer wrote:

wait, lindros used to be your favorite philly athlete of all time? for some reason that strikes me as odd coming from you.

yep. no doubt. loved that guy. he singlehandedly revitalized hockey in philadelphia when he came here. and he was the main reason that the corestates center was built (well, the spectrum was a million times better, so maybe that's not so good).

utley, lindros, recchi, dawkins are the 4 that really stand out for me.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

What would make sense though? What team can offer a return and afford him. Seattle or Florida won't pay him so there goes Felix and Johnson, who else would you consider?

Oh man, I have no idea. I'm obviously in no hurry to even think about utley leaving
    you don't really think the corestates center would not have been built had it not been for eric lindros do you? 90% of pro teams have built new stadiums or arenas in the last 20 years. flyers/sixers had no choice if they wanted to compete.
    www.myspace.com
  • you don't really think the corestates center would not have been built had it not been for eric lindros do you? 90% of pro teams have built new stadiums or arenas in the last 20 years. flyers/sixers had no choice if they wanted to compete.

eric_lindros.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Stumbled across this beauty

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/m ... index.html

Some of them I had forgotten about...thankfully
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    you don't really think the corestates center would not have been built had it not been for eric lindros do you? 90% of pro teams have built new stadiums or arenas in the last 20 years. flyers/sixers had no choice if they wanted to compete.

I don't remember how that building was financed, but I know that neither the flyers or sixers had any marketable players at the time. The flyers best player at the time was fucking kevin dineen.

not saying that the building wouldn't have been built, but lindros made the franchise relevant enough to take on the cost. we're still waiting for the sixers to be relevant
    Stumbled across this beauty

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/m ... index.html

Some of them I had forgotten about...thankfully

the abreu trade was one of the best in philly history
    edited November 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't remember how that building was financed, but I know that neither the flyers or sixers had any marketable players at the time. The flyers best player at the time was fucking kevin dineen.

not saying that the building wouldn't have been built, but lindros made the franchise relevant enough to take on the cost. we're still waiting for the sixers to be relevant

huh?

plenty of bad teams with not a lot of marketable players have gotten new digs over the years. there's way more important things important things involved in the players.

either way the sixers were relevant from day 1 in that place with ai. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com

eric_lindros.jpg

the fixer's first man crush :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    One of my friends dad's made this, pretty good:
    Casey at the Bat
    By Ernest Lawrence Thayer
    Taken From the San Francisco Examiner - June 3, 1888

Casey At Bat The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville (Phillies) nine that day;
    The score stood four (three) to two, with but one inning more to play,
    And then when Cooney (Gload) died at first, and Barrows (Polanco) did the same,
    A pall-like silence fell upon the patrons of the game.

A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
    Clung to that (high) hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
    They thought, "If only Casey (Howard) could but get a whack at that —
    We'd put up even money now, with Casey at the bat."

But Flynn (Rollins) preceded Casey, as did also Jimmy Blake(Chase Utley),
    And the former was a hoodoo, while the latter was a cake;
    So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat;
    For there seemed but little chance of Casey getting to the bat.

But Flynn let drive a single, (walked) to the wonderment of all,
    And Blake, the much despised, tore the cover off the ball; (walked)
    And when the dust had lifted, and men saw what had occurred,
    There was Jimmy safe at second (first) and Flynn a-hugging third (second).

Then from (forty) five thousand throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
    It rumbled through the (Delaware) valley, it rattled in the dell;
    It pounded on the mountain and recoiled upon the flat,
    For Casey, mighty Casey, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Casey's manner as he stepped into his place;
    There was pride in Casey's bearing and a smile lit Casey's face.
    And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
    No stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Casey at the bat.

(Ninety) Ten thousand eyes were on him as he (spit on) rubbed his hands with dirt.
    (Forty) Five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt.
    Then while the writhing pitcher (Brian Wilson) ground the ball into his hip,
    Defiance flashed in Casey's eye, a sneer curled Casey's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
    And Casey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
    Close by the sturdy batsman the ball unheeded sped —
    "That ain't my style," said Casey. "Strike one!" the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled roar,
    Like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore;
    "Kill him! Kill the umpire!" shouted some one on the stand;
    And it's likely they'd have killed him had not Casey raised his hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Casey's visage shone;
    He stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
    He signaled to the pitcher, and once more the dun sphere flew;
    But Casey still ignored it, and the umpire said "Strike two!"

"Fraud!" cried the maddened thousands, and echo answered "Fraud!"
    But one scornful look from Casey and the audience was awed.
    They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
    And they knew that Casey wouldn't let that ball go by again.

The sneer has fled from Casey's lip, the teeth are clenched in hate;
    He pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate.
    And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
    And now the air is shattered by the force of Casey's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright,
    The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
    And somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout;
    But there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

Except Ryan DIDN"T SWING!!!!!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:
    Oh man, I have no idea. I'm obviously in no hurry to even think about utley leaving

Oh no doubt dude. I just like thinking about what it would take to get a player like that. Would you do Felix straight up? I would, not many others though. Never going to happen, just like talking these scenarios.

eric_lindros.jpg

the fixer's first man crush :lol:

he's like so 10 years ago. totally
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Oh no doubt dude. I just like thinking about what it would take to get a player like that. Would you do Felix straight up? I would, not many others though. Never going to happen, just like talking these scenarios.

honestly. Assuming for 2011 I wouldn't. Unless there was some guarantee that the phils were somehow going to find another way to be competent offensively. the phils would have to get some kind of a bat in return.

been trying to think of a scenario where I would trade utley. how about cano for utley?
    Doc no hitter is on CN8. 201 on comcast. It doesn't get old
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

honestly. Assuming for 2011 I wouldn't. Unless there was some guarantee that the phils were somehow going to find another way to be competent offensively. the phils would have to get some kind of a bat in return.

been trying to think of a scenario where I would trade utley. how about cano for utley?

I hear you on the offense thing. I was more thinking player for player and not how it fits into the team.

Honestly, as a Yankees fan I wouldn't do Cano for Utley. Cano is yonger, cheaper and has more years ahead of him. You know Utley is one of my favorite players in baseball but I think Cano has better years ahead of him.
This discussion has been closed.