***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    All I can say is props to the Giants. They've played the game the right way. If this is the series, then I'll forever be pissed at Jimmy. Biggest play of that game is what didn't happen - and that's Jimmy giving himself up and moving Werth over to 3rd. Still can't get over the fact that they didn't make that happen.
  • All I can say is props to the Giants. They've played the game the right way. If this is the series, then I'll forever be pissed at Jimmy. Biggest play of that game is what didn't happen - and that's Jimmy giving himself up and moving Werth over to 3rd. Still can't get over the fact that they didn't make that happen.

They still play with that American League big innings mentality. Sometimes that doesn't work in Pac Bell Park in the NLCS.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    Giants fan, posting in your thread again because ours is a bit lame :shifty: :

the umpiring is atrocious. I'm thankful sandoval came thru or the fair "foul" ball down the right field line would have haunted me for years. both teams get shitty ball and strike calls, but there was one hook, dead center of the plate, that was called a ball that I absolutely couldn't believe. when pitcher, catcher and hitter ALL head toward the dugout, you gotta believe it's a strike.

sandoval and uribe have probably both played their way back into the lineup. NEVER want to see fontenot again!

the ONLY fast guy we have is hitting .151 since september 1. the giants have never been a speed team but, my god, this team is slow! :wtf:

your big inning was brutal but could've been much worse. the first two outs we got were gifts. and as crappy as rowand is hitting, I doubt torres makes that throw. speaking of rowand.....two more years at $12M per :roll:

bad move with oswalt....we saw him a few days ago for 3-4 AB's per guy. We haven't even seen lidge yet. and that's what I hate about post season baseball....you see shit you would NEVER see in the regular season. like when the d-bags won a WS with TWO fucking pitchers :evil:

I'm far from comfortable....the G-men have broken my heart my whole life :? . I will say, tho, this team is winning games (vs. atl, too) that they always used to lose. It's been fun for me :mrgreen: . you guys have a class team, but I'm obviously dreaming of another shot in the WS....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    Biggest play of that game is what didn't happen - and that's Jimmy giving himself up and moving Werth over to 3rd. Still can't get over the fact that they didn't make that happen.
    you know, you see shit that seems like it should be so fucking obvious for both a player and a manager and then they don't do it and you think :wtf:

bochy's use of the bullpen sometimes mystifies me but I try to tell myself he's seen every pitch of every game and I haven't....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    Giants fan, posting in your thread again because ours is a bit lame :shifty: :

the umpiring is atrocious. I'm thankful sandoval came thru or the fair "foul" ball down the right field line would have haunted me for years. both teams get shitty ball and strike calls, but there was one hook, dead center of the plate, that was called a ball that I absolutely couldn't believe. when pitcher, catcher and hitter ALL head toward the dugout, you gotta believe it's a strike.

sandoval and uribe have probably both played their way back into the lineup. NEVER want to see fontenot again!

the ONLY fast guy we have is hitting .151 since september 1. the giants have never been a speed team but, my god, this team is slow! :wtf:

your big inning was brutal but could've been much worse. the first two outs we got were gifts. and as crappy as rowand is hitting, I doubt torres makes that throw. speaking of rowand.....two more years at $12M per :roll:

bad move with oswalt....we saw him a few days ago for 3-4 AB's per guy. We haven't even seen lidge yet. and that's what I hate about post season baseball....you see shit you would NEVER see in the regular season. like when the d-bags won a WS with TWO fucking pitchers :evil:

I'm far from comfortable....the G-men have broken my heart my whole life :? . I will say, tho, this team is winning games (vs. atl, too) that they always used to lose. It's been fun for me :mrgreen: . you guys have a class team, but I'm obviously dreaming of another shot in the WS....

Thanks for being a classy winner dude. Yeah, your thread sucks. :lol:

The called 3rd strikes on Victorino & Chooch were abysmal, but you're right it was going both ways. The balls & strikes seemed to go our way later in the game. Sandoval's ball may have been foul - they might have said inconclusive if they reviewed it. Maybe the last cm of the ball touched the last mm of the line, maybe not. The Bastard never should've been pitching to him anyway.

I had an ongoing dialogue with a guy at the ballpark in 2007 about how Rowand was leaving, and was it worth it to keep him. We both determined he was going to be overpaid, and boy was he ever. But that was a spectacular throw.

I hate how managers won't bring the closer into a tie game on the road. Um, if we lose it now, he can't get a save anyway! I still thought it would work out, but I didn't realize (since I'm not the mgr) that Oswalt had already done his bullpen.

That was eerily similar to the Dodgers Game 4's the last 2 years. That's the only reason I thought we'd pull it off, but not this time. Verducci on si.com was talking about how it was a typical Game 4 with each team's 4th best starter going and just general disarray ruling the day. His prime example was the Phils 15-14 loss in 1993 WS - guess who was at that one. :cry: :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/ ... heres-why/

There’s been so much lately on the nature of Philly fandom — hey look! It’s another “they booed Santa” screed! — but I feel at least one more thing needs to be said. Not by me, though. By reader and Philadelphian TC Shillingford, who sent me a note yesterday explaining the Santa incident and so much more about Philly fans than most people usually consider. And yes, fans of every city have their own creation story and their own quirks that arise from it. Philly’s just seems more in need of telling at the moment, so I yield the floor to TC.

Philadelphia used to be the capital of the US, of course, the hub of government and business, and one of the city’s earliest and wealthiest fellows was Stephen Girard (he owned the First Bank of the US). Yellow fever broke out in the 1790s in Philly, and the upper class largely moved away from the city. Girard moved the financial institutions that eventually became Wall St to New York, and a number of government agencies to DC. When the outbreak ended, he prevented them from returning to Philly, saying that New York would be the financial city, DC the government city, and Philly would be the village in between. Of course, the way it worked out, people wanted to live a little closer to where they worked, and despite Girard giving most of his fortune to the considerable poor in the city, since the 1830s (when Girard died), Philadelphia has been a low-income city with ongoing identity issues, living in the twin shadows of NYC and DC. It’s a great city, and I love it here, but one of the most troubling things about Philly is how deeply self-loathing it can be. Philly is a pretty girl with low self-esteem who keeps going out with some lousy guy because every once in a while he says she’s pretty.

Anyway, Santa Claus. In 1968, the Phillies finished 7th in the NL that year. The 76ers had just traded Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers. And worse than any of them, were the Eagles. (My father used to have the ability to express the moment in which any Philadelphia sports year became a disappointment, and so I’m doing all this based off his recollections).

Going into the game, the Eagles were something like 2-10, and played so poorly the two wins seemed like miracles. The weather was awful–cold rain and wet, heavy snow. Fans showed up to protest the team with signs about firing the head coach, getting rid of the owner, everything. The original jolly St Nick hadn’t made it to Franklin Field due to the inclement weather, and so the Eagles found some kid off the street to fill in. He looked terrible, ramshackle. The local story is that he was drunk, too. For the fans in the stands, blue collar, lower middle class people who were paying money to see one of the NFL’s worst teams, seeing that Santa was a slap in the face. They had no way of knowing that this Santa was not the intended Santa. From the stands, it looked like these incompetent owners were rubbing the fans noses in it. If they wanted to watch football, they were stuck with the Eagles, and lousy fans get a lousy team, and on Christmas, they get a lousy Santa. That’s what it felt like. Like a “fuck you”, from the team to the fans. And so they booed, they threw snowballs.

And somehow, that story has been repeated over and over again as the hallmark of Philadelphia FANS: that they’re so brutal they boo Santa Claus. In Philly, when we’re not tearing our hairs out after hearing it every time a team does something stupid and worthy of national attention, it’s a story about how Philly fans have constantly had to take it up the ass from the teams they root for. The Eagles and Phillies, especially, but the Sixers, too (the Flyers play hockey, but they’ve had the decency to be competitive virtually every year they’ve been in the league).

So, I don’t know if Philly fans are really worse than other places. I’ve never personally seen anything so bad in Philly as the time I saw a man punch a pregnant lady in Shea Stadium. In Philly, famously, batteries were thrown at JD Drew, responding to another (perceived) slight. In San Diego, less famously, at least one fan threw a real syringe at Barry Bonds. Maybe it’s because almost every year someone in Philly has to get tased, has to vomit on a child, that only in Philly was there a court in the stadium. I don’t know.

I don’t personally feel this Philadelphia insecurity. New York can be amazing and so can Philadelphia, and just because someone thinks the Giants will win the NLCS doesn’t mean Philly is lame. But I think the insecurity, the subconscious belief that all of this is soon to fall apart (at least, with regards to the Phillies’ success) or that history will look upon it as a fluke, is common in the city, and, sadly, in so many ways, all too easy to explain. The Phillies went 100 years before they won their first World Series, and 28 more before they won their second. And each year we won’t win, all we seem to be left with is a reputation that this is not a safe place for children or for Santa.
    That dude speaks for a lot of people in this town, Cliff. And like I've said so many times before, so many of us are just so fed up with the perception that I don't think we have a problem perpetuating their image of us being assholes because at least that keeps them out of town. And I'm fine with that.
    All I can say is props to the Giants. They've played the game the right way. If this is the series, then I'll forever be pissed at Jimmy. Biggest play of that game is what didn't happen - and that's Jimmy giving himself up and moving Werth over to 3rd. Still can't get over the fact that they didn't make that happen.

They still play with that American League big innings mentality. Sometimes that doesn't work in Pac Bell Park in the NLCS.

Jimmy's just a fucking idiot is what it is.
    Alright, so this is it. Do or die. We've seen this before, oh, maybe just 5 months ago. Let's squeak this out and bring it home, boys.

"Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss."

It ain't over yet, mofos. GO. PHILS.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    The Fixer wrote:
    Have my season tix for saturday...Just bought my game 7 tickets on stubhub. let's go boys, get it back to philly. The Fixer will bring home another pennant.

Dear xxxx,

Your NL Championship Series Tickets: San Francisco Giants at Philadelphia Phillies - Game 7 (Home Game 4 - If Necessary) tickets are on their way!

PRINT THIS EMAIL and take it with your tickets to the event.

Your tickets will be attached to an email sent directly from
    Phillies.com. It may take a few minutes for the email to arrive.

Check your inbox for the subject line "Tickets Attached StubHub
    Order #." If you don t see it, look in your Spam or Junk Email
    folder. If you do not receive your email, please give us a call
    at 1.866.STUBHUB (1.866.788.2482) for assistance.

Remember your order is fully covered by StubHub's FanProtect Guarantee.

THREE IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER

1. This email is NOT a ticket for entry to the event.

2. Inspect your tickets as soon as you receive them. If you have
    any concerns, call us within 3 days -- better yet, right away!

- Are they the tickets you ordered?
    - Did you receive the correct number of tickets?
    - Are they for the right event?
    - Are the date and time correct?

3. 1.866.STUBHUB (1.866.788.2482)

TAKE OUR TOLL-FREE NUMBER (AND YOUR TICKETS) TO THE EVENT

Though highly unlikely, if you (or the recipient of the
    tickets) have any problems with the tickets or the venue, give
    us a call right away and we will assist you immediately.
    Because we re not affiliated with the venue, please do not go
    to the venue ticket office.

Remember, your tickets are fully covered by StubHub's
    FanProtect(tm) Guarantee.

ORDER INFORMATION
    Order #: xxxxxxxxxx
    Order Date: 10-21-2010

Event: NL Championship Series Tickets: San Francisco Giants at Philadelphia Phillies - Game 7 (Home Game 4 - If Necessary)
    Venue: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, PA
    Date: 10-24-2010 07:55 PM EST
    (Event time subject to change. Check local listings.)

Quantity: 2
    Section: Terrace Deck 42x
    Row: 1
    Seats: 1x,1x

BILLING INFORMATION

Price Per Ticket: $199.00
    Quantity: x 2

$200 per ticket? that's not too bad I guess. I pad $100 for game 7, section 208 through phillies.com

GO PHILLIES! (fingers crossed)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    chase utley. are you f^cking kidding me??

man up.

let's go god damn it.
    www.myspace.com
    Phillies body language looks horrible
    What a strange inning
    Fun game
    jw is playing stellar defense right now...phenomenal throw.

F U CODY ROSS!
    www.myspace.com
    jw is playing stellar defense right now...phenomenal throw.

F U CODY ROSS!

definitely a good throw. Terrible decision by Ross
    Speaking of defense, some solid ss defense from both teams tonight. Rollins has been great defensively all series.
    howard looks lost at the plate tonight
    www.myspace.com
    howard looks lost at the plate tonight

Dude...no RBI's ????

WTF is wrong with him ?

doc is battling like a champ tonight without his best stuff...gutsy performance.

we need some more runs..
    www.myspace.com
    doc is battling like a champ tonight without his best stuff...gutsy performance.

we need some more runs..

can't believe he has only given up 2. Clemens always said these were his favorite kind of starts.
    :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o

Total overmanaging by Charlie. No reason to bring in Romero for one batter even if he's left handed.

Don't feel good about this game. At. All.

I just want to be able to use my tickets on Saturday for Christ's sakes.

ALSO, why in the fuck was Doc topping out at 89? Seriously? 89? In the 5th?
    ^^Tru Dat

• tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Total overmanaging by Charlie. No reason to bring in Romero for one batter even if he's left handed.

He's probably thrown close to 280-290 innings this year, but that's if you consider spring training. I don't care who you are, that's going to take a toll on your arm.

He's probably thrown close to 280-290 innings this year, but that's if you consider spring training. I don't care who you are, that's going to take a toll on your arm.

There's no room for excuses when you demand to be traded to a contender, pitch the last two game into at least the 7th throwing 92/93. You're the ace/stopper for a reason. Man the fuck up.

There's no room for excuses when you demand to be traded to a contender, pitch the last two game into at least the 7th throwing 92/93. You're the ace/stopper for a reason. Man the fuck up.

I agree...you've waited your whole career for this

No time to for excuses

• tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118

He didn't demand to be traded. He was just upfront about his intentions when his contract ended. If Toronto had a shot at the playoffs in the next year or so he would have never left.

He didn't demand to be traded. He was just upfront about his intentions when his contract ended. If Toronto had a shot at the playoffs in the next year or so he would have never left.

I don't care.
This discussion has been closed.