***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    got to admit I'm a bit nervous about the Reds. They scare me because they can hit and hit the long ball. 3-run homers could be devastating in the playoffs. Lidge against this lineup scares me especially in the hitters parks. Crowd needs to get loud and intimidating in the 1st 2 games - show the Reds who the Champs are and that they are out of their league. If we lose one of the 1st 2 home games going to be sweating when we get to Cincinnati. Could just be natural nervousness heading into the playoffs though. Can't wait though, totally pumped for playoff games again. my liver will suffer though. Come on boys bring it home again. 11 wins to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8Qeto9 ... re=related

still brings chills - lets do it again boys.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    From the Philly Inquirer:

Werth said he kept the look mainly because it was comfortable. ("Shaving. I don't like to shave. Never have.")

But there was that other reason.

"After we got beat in the World Series, having won the year before and being that close, you could almost taste it," Werth said. "We got beat by the Yankees. My stepdad (Dennis Werth) played for the Yankees. I grew up with pinstripes in the house. But I was never really a Yankee fan. The Yankees have that clean-shaven rule."

Werth grew the beard to spite the Yankees?

"I don't want to say that's the main reason why," he said. "I usually grow a beard in the offseason. But there was a side of all that, on some level, it had something to do with it."

:thumbup:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

Werth said he kept the look mainly because it was comfortable. ("Shaving. I don't like to shave. Never have.")

"After we got beat in the World Series, having won the year before and being that close, you could almost taste it," Werth said. "We got beat by the Yankees. My stepdad (Dennis Werth) played for the Yankees. I grew up with pinstripes in the house. But I was never really a Yankee fan. The Yankees have that clean-shaven rule."

"I don't want to say that's the main reason why," he said. "I usually grow a beard in the offseason. But there was a side of all that, on some level, it had something to do with it."

:roll: douche
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953

Only a douche if he goes back on his word and joins said douches in 2011.
    pjhawks wrote:
    got to admit I'm a bit nervous about the Reds. They scare me because they can hit and hit the long ball. 3-run homers could be devastating in the playoffs. Lidge against this lineup scares me especially in the hitters parks. Crowd needs to get loud and intimidating in the 1st 2 games - show the Reds who the Champs are and that they are out of their league. If we lose one of the 1st 2 home games going to be sweating when we get to Cincinnati. Could just be natural nervousness heading into the playoffs though. Can't wait though, totally pumped for playoff games again. my liver will suffer though. Come on boys bring it home again. 11 wins to go.

I gotta find my video on Picasa that I recorded during the last out of game 5 in '08. I give myself chills every time.

I remember last year during game 1 of LDS that the urgency wasn't there before first pitch. It steam rolled its way, but it should be there during the National Anthem. Hopefully losing in the WS last year brings that frothing at the mouth back that was there in '08 - every game that year was like an insane asylum. Loved it.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    And of course Chooch gets dinged in the elbow, ala Polanco, by Hudson. Hopefully his stellar year isn't all of a sudden fudged because of this crap.

I don't know why chooch was still in at the end of saturday's game. this manager does some really dumb stuff
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Yanks outfield is set for next year. Probably not the best idea to say you want facial hair out of spite for the Yankees when they set the market and you are becoming a free agent :lol::lol:. He most definitely did not run that one by his new agent. If the Yankees wanted him, they would sign him regardless, just kind of funny. Not going to happen though.
    pjhawks wrote:

I gotta find my video on Picasa that I recorded during the last out of game 5 in '08. I give myself chills every time.

I remember last year during game 1 of LDS that the urgency wasn't there before first pitch. It steam rolled its way, but it should be there during the National Anthem. Hopefully losing in the WS last year brings that frothing at the mouth back that was there in '08 - every game that year was like an insane asylum. Loved it.

nothing will top the crowds back in 08. I will never attend a better sporting event than game 5 from that year.

the yankees? who wants him?

so he has this big dirty caveman beard becasue a team he doesn't play for has a no bead policy?

ya see how fast he would shave it if the yanks offered him a contract
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yanks outfield is set for next year. Probably not the best idea to say you want facial hair out of spite for the Yankees when they set the market and you are becoming a free agent :lol::lol:. He most definitely did not run that one by his new agent. If the Yankees wanted him, they would sign him regardless, just kind of funny. Not going to happen though.

that's a really good point. after watching werth play every day for the last few years it's a pretty safe assumption to say he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    phils are -270 to win their series. that is ridiculously high for a playoff series
  • neilybabes86, it's fine that you want to troll around this Phillies thread but even you have to admit that the Phils look better than the Yanks right now as we head into the postseason.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    phils are -270 to win their series. that is ridiculously high for a playoff series

Yeah, and it's pissing me off. I don't like being this favored. Bad karma.
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm with you. The phils look great, but that all goes out the window come wednesday. I just can't get too overconfident about philly teams.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Don't know if this was mentioned or even if it is correct. Someone told me that the Phils can use Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels for 17 of the 19 games this postseason! That seems like a damn good setup for them this year.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Don't know if this was mentioned or even if it is correct. Someone told me that the Phils can use Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels for 17 of the 19 games this postseason! That seems like a damn good setup for them this year.

yep, it is correct. I believe it's game 4 of each the NLCS and the Ws
    neilybabes86, it's fine that you want to troll around this Phillies thread but even you have to admit that the Phils look better than the Yanks right now as we head into the postseason.

phils are the team to beat..i was just commenting about what a baffoon werth is
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm with you. The phils look great, but that all goes out the window come wednesday. I just can't get too overconfident about philly teams.

It's in our blood.

I've got so much shit to do between now and 5:07 that I feel like just saying fuck it. All I know is that first Miller Lite around 2:45 is going to be delicious. Time for my liver to go into overdrive like the past two postseasons - nonstop.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    game 2 is offically a party as your jeagler has just secured tickets.
    www.myspace.com

Nice work. just curious, where did you get them?

I'm waiting to hear back about potential SRO tix in the HOF section for wednesday. If that doesn't work I will be hitting stubhub on wendesday morning. My bookie is nice to offer to pay for my tix.
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm waiting to hear back about potential SRO tix in the HOF section for wednesday. If that doesn't work I will be hitting stubhub on wendesday morning. My bookie is nice to offer to pay for my tix.

They sell SRO tix exclusively for the HOF section? That's weird. I like it though.

Fixer, were you able to score anything for game 1?
    The Fixer wrote:

They sell SRO tix exclusively for the HOF section? That's weird. I like it though.

Apparently they do for playoffs. College buddy is working on that as we speak. I've never had SRO for HOF club...he did it for last year's playoffs and said it was good.

These tix would be for game 1. If the SRO thing falls thru I will be hitting stubhub on wednesday morning. Usually those prices plummet on the morning of games.

jp, which game do you have in round 1?
    maybe they should have gone with hamels in games 2/5

While pitching for the Astros Oswalt faced the Reds a lot, including twice this year where he lost both games and gave up nine earned runs in 12 innings.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Apparently they do for playoffs. College buddy is working on that as we speak. I've never had SRO for HOF club...he did it for last year's playoffs and said it was good.

These tix would be for game 1. If the SRO thing falls thru I will be hitting stubhub on wednesday morning. Usually those prices plummet on the morning of games.

jp, which game do you have in round 1?

Game 1 - section 308.
    The Fixer wrote:

While pitching for the Astros Oswalt faced the Reds a lot, including twice this year where he lost both games and gave up nine earned runs in 12 innings.

Yeah, but that was back when he was having troubles. I think they thought about that, but all the pro's of both Hamels pitching in Ciny and Roy pitching here outweighed all that.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, but that was back when he was having troubles. I think they thought about that, but all the pro's of both Hamels pitching in Ciny and Roy pitching here outweighed all that.

Haha I'm just trying to find any reason for concern in this series. Before this year oswalt had a career record of 23-1 vs cincy, with an ERA just over 2.

the only reason I would have thrown oswalt in game 3 was because of his familiarity with the mound in cincy. otherwise I'd rather have oswalt than hamels in game 5
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Haha I'm just trying to find any reason for concern in this series. Before this year oswalt had a career record of 23-1 vs cincy, with an ERA just over 2.

the only reason I would have thrown oswalt in game 3 was because of his familiarity with the mound in cincy. otherwise I'd rather have oswalt than hamels in game 5

i'm happy with the rotation.

i got my seats on stubhub.

when do they announce the rosters?
    www.myspace.com

I would have gone with the same rotation too

you don't have to answer this, but where are your seats and how much did you pay? If I have to go that route, I'm waiting until wed to pull the trigger.

pretty sure they have to be in tomorrow
    The Fixer wrote:

I would have gone with the same rotation too

you don't have to answer this, but where are your seats and how much did you pay? If I have to go that route, I'm waiting until wed to pull the trigger.

pretty sure they have to be in tomorrow

paid $125 per....in section 419.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    anyone have an extra ticket :lol: Have fun and go Phills. Can's wait til Wed. :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC