***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Oh, you gotta be kidding me. No way. I thought the #1 seed gets the primetime slot? I distinctly remember the Cubs in '08 and the Dodgers last year getting that.

don't worry about those times. it has every game at 1 PM. that ain't happening. the networks decide who plays at what times
  • The Fixer wrote:

Oh, you gotta be kidding me. No way. I thought the #1 seed gets the primetime slot? I distinctly remember the Cubs in '08 and the Dodgers last year getting that.

don't worry about those times. it has every game at 1 PM. that ain't happening. the networks decide who plays at what times

If they used their heads then Minnesota games would be on during the day since I'm sure no one wants to freeze their balls off. Then again, they're playing the Yanks, so that ain't happening. Philly will be the biggest media market in the NL in the playoffs. I don't see why they wouldn't be given the better prime time spot. Especially since they got hosed last year.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    congrats Phils - awesome season. Never saw a run this good in September from this team. amazing run. Let's take a chill for a week or so and get ready to kick some ass come playoff time. Bring it on boys.

and guys don't worry about game times - it's all dependent on markets and who is playing. get one of the west coast teams and most likely won't be 1:00 pm. hell though 1:00 pm weekday is better than not making the playoffs.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    this is only the 4th time in the last 40 years one team has won at least 4 divisions in a row.

:mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Awesome Night !

20 wins so far in September...absolutely sick !

Phew...now I can relax the rest of the week
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Ryan Howard is the second coming of the Babe.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The Fixer wrote:

If they used their heads then Minnesota games would be on during the day since I'm sure no one wants to freeze their balls off. Then again, they're playing the Yanks, so that ain't happening. Philly will be the biggest media market in the NL in the playoffs. I don't see why they wouldn't be given the better prime time spot. Especially since they got hosed last year.

Crossing my fingers, but I think I can take off and watch most of the day games this year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Awesome ride this has been,man this team put us thru hell early. I hope we let are big 3 pitch 3-5 innings in there next starts. What a diff these last 4 years have been,these young kids have no clue the hell we all went thru for years. All those painful years make this run that much better. Go Phils!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Awesome ride this has been,man this team put us thru hell early. I hope we let are big 3 pitch 3-5 innings in there next starts. What a diff these last 4 years have been,these young kids have no clue the hell we all went thru for years. All those painful years make this run that much better. Go Phils!!!!!!!!!!!

funny you say this as i was just telling my nephew last weekend about not getting used to making the playoffs every year. he is 9 so he has pretty much seen the Phillies in the playoffs every year since he starting watching baseball - crazy. between the Phillies and Eagles and the Flyers run to the Cup finals last year the last years have been awesome to be a fan. Even with the Eagles not winning a Super Bowl there have been so many big games and so much fun over the past 5-10 years. it is why so much negativity around here and in Philly in general drives me insane - these have been the golden years boys - let's enjoy every second for as long as possible.

can't freakin wait until the playoffs to start - love the intensity of each game. on paper this is the best chance the Phils have had to win it all. with this starting rotation much better chance than 2008 was. bring it home boys. 11 wins to go.
  • Perfect timing to lock everything up. Now I can watch The 10th Inning on PBS tonight - gonna be a good one.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Perfect timing to lock everything up. Now I can watch The 10th Inning on PBS tonight - gonna be a good one.

Yeah, this should be great.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/prepa ... -coast.php

Sounds like it is going to be very east coast centric, which I obviously dont mind.
  • Does Cholly go with experience in game 1 or throw Doc out there ?

Nice dilemma to have I suppose

Does Cholly go with experience in game 1 or throw Doc out there ?

No question that halladay will start game 1. who starts game 2 is debatable. as well as hamels has been I think I'd be more comfortable with oswalt. whoever starts game 2 would also be in line to pitch the deciding game 5 too.
  • The Fixer wrote:

No question that halladay will start game 1. who starts game 2 is debatable. as well as hamels has been I think I'd be more comfortable with oswalt. whoever starts game 2 would also be in line to pitch the deciding game 5 too.

There's no way that Doc doesn't start Game 1, whether or not he has "experience." There's no other pitcher in baseball you'd rather have pitching Game 1 of a playoff series for you.

Like I said before, I'd start Oswalt in every Game 2, because he's still unbeaten at Citizens Park, and he's been lights out for 2 months now. Ride out the streak.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Perfect timing to lock everything up. Now I can watch The 10th Inning on PBS tonight - gonna be a good one.

Sounds like it is going to be very east coast centric, which I obviously dont mind.

you mean new york/boston centric ya bastird!

:lol:

gotta have the fiance set the o' dvr when she gets home. completely forgot this was on tonight. hopefully those crafty '93 phils get some decent play early on....
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

There's no way that Doc doesn't start Game 1, whether or not he has "experience." There's no other pitcher in baseball you'd rather have pitching Game 1 of a playoff series for you.

Like I said before, I'd start Oswalt in every Game 2, because he's still unbeaten at Citizens Park, and he's been lights out for 2 months now. Ride out the streak.

doc/oswalt/hamels.....especially if its san fran or san diego (drink it in). let cole pitch game 3 out on his home coast :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    cool story

WASHINGTON — For guys like Ryan Howard, the table filled with bottles of champagne was nothing new. In fact, a trip to the playoffs is a September rite for Howard and the core group of Phillies like Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels and Chase Utley.

Seasons end with champagne. That’s just what happens.

However, Howard wasn’t going to go through the motions after the Phillies sewed up their fourth straight division title on Monday night at Nats Park. Instead, Howard was going to stop the party and make everyone wait for the guests of honor.

“Get Sweeney and Roy over here right now,” Howard shouted over his teammates waiting to shake up the bottles and send the contents flying across the room. “Get those guys in here right now.”

Halladay, of course, was the man of the hour. After pitching a two-hit shutout that essentially sealed his Cy Young Award credentials for the 2010 season and earned his first-ever berth into the postseason during his 13-year career, Roy Halladay was the master of ceremonies. When the going got tough during the dog days, Halladay piled the team onto his back and carried them all the way to the finish line.

Without Halladay, the Phillies might still be fighting for a playoff spot.

But Mike Sweeney, the 16-year major league veteran who never so much as got within sniffing distance of the playoffs, received a special seat at the head table, too. By Howard’s edict, the party wasn’t going to start until Halladay and Sweeney took apart the first bottles and fired the corks into the fluorescent lighting above.

After all, Halladay and Sweeney had waited long enough.

But there is a little more to Howard and Sweeney’s relationship than meets the eye. Sure, Sweeney filled in admirably at first base while Howard was recovering from a sprained ankle. Without the so-called Big Piece, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. brought in Sweeney from Seattle to provide veteran know-how and a professional bat to hold the fort until the big slugger got back. Then, when Howard had recovered, Sweeney stepped back to the shadows where he served as a right-handed bat off the bench capable of lining one into the gap or, on occasion, going deep.

It’s a role Sweeney readily accepted when he agreed to sign on with the Phillies.

Still, it wasn’t all about winning for Sweeney. Sure, that was a major part of it, but Sweeney has had a relationship with Howard dating back to when the big kid from the St. Louis suburbs was just starting out after his collegiate career at Southwestern Missouri State.

In fact, one could make the argument that without Mike Sweeney, there would be no Ryan Howard.

“There’s a story that a lot of people don’t know about me and the man Sweeney,” Howard said during a quieter moment from Monday’s celebration. “When he was playing in Kansas City in 2001 or 2002, I was living in Kansas City and we worked out at the same place. I ran into Sween and [ex-Royals third baseman] Joe Randa and Sweeney came up to me when I was hitting in the cage and just told me that if I ever needed anyone to work out with, I was to let him know. Feel free.”

Sweeney was an established All-Star in the big leagues when he and Howard got together. Better yet, Sweeney was in the midst of putting together Ryan Howard-type seasons, driving in 144 RBIs in 2000, challenging for a batting title through the early years of the decade, and making annual trips to the All-Star Game.

So for a player like Sweeney to take a 21-year-old kid under his wing and help him blaze a trail to the major leagues meant everything to Howard.

“So it’s kind of funny that here we are come full circle and we’re celebrating together,” Howard said.

To Sweeney, who fell right in with his new teammates after arriving from Seattle, the clinching day in Washington was meaningful in so many ways. First, he’s leading a group of teammates to Walter Reed Hospital to visit with injured troops back from fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, and then his team made it to the playoffs for the first time in his career.

Sweeney had to be pinching himself to check if he was dreaming.

“I took care of Ryan when he was moving up and he’s the core guy and I’m just a fill-in, so for him to let me pop that champagne is something I’ll never forget,” Sweeney said.

Howard interrupted.

“It was only right,” Howard said. “Sweeney, Halladay and [catcher Brian] Schneider get to pop the first bottles. It was only right.”

For Sweeney, the 2010 season and coming over to the Phillies is the highlight of a solid career that could have produced Hall-of-Fame type numbers if he hadn’t been beset by injuries for the last five years.

It’s even better because Sweeney got to fill in for his former pupil.

“Ryan and I have been friends for a long time, and whenever we played against each other there was always a mutual respect,” Sweeney said. “When I came here I just wanted to do my part and fill in for the big guy. That was my feeling and I could never fill his shoes, but I was going to do what I could.”

Sweeney was simply doing what every ballplayer should, and that’s show respect for the game. That’s something bigger than any player or team, says Sweeney.

“Andre Dawson said it best: ‘Love the game and it will love you back,’” Sweeney said with a tinge of emotion in his voice. “I treated him like he was an All-Star and now that he’s an All-Star and I’m an old guy on the way out, he’s treated me the same.”

Indeed, if Mike Sweeney was finally going to the playoffs, it makes sense that Ryan Howard helped him get there.
  • That's awesome. I'd be surprised if we don't see a big hit from Sweeney in the playoffs.

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

gotta have the fiance set the o' dvr when she gets home. completely forgot this was on tonight. hopefully those crafty '93 phils get some decent play early on....

'93 was featured in the 9th inning with that bastard Carter hitting a home run. Burns said '08 will be in there.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    cool story

WASHINGTON — For guys like Ryan Howard, the table filled with bottles of champagne was nothing new. In fact, a trip to the playoffs is a September rite for Howard and the core group of Phillies like Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels and Chase Utley.

However, Howard wasn’t going to go through the motions after the Phillies sewed up their fourth straight division title on Monday night at Nats Park. Instead, Howard was going to stop the party and make everyone wait for the guests of honor.

“Get Sweeney and Roy over here right now,” Howard shouted over his teammates waiting to shake up the bottles and send the contents flying across the room. “Get those guys in here right now.”

Halladay, of course, was the man of the hour. After pitching a two-hit shutout that essentially sealed his Cy Young Award credentials for the 2010 season and earned his first-ever berth into the postseason during his 13-year career, Roy Halladay was the master of ceremonies. When the going got tough during the dog days, Halladay piled the team onto his back and carried them all the way to the finish line.

But Mike Sweeney, the 16-year major league veteran who never so much as got within sniffing distance of the playoffs, received a special seat at the head table, too. By Howard’s edict, the party wasn’t going to start until Halladay and Sweeney took apart the first bottles and fired the corks into the fluorescent lighting above.

But there is a little more to Howard and Sweeney’s relationship than meets the eye. Sure, Sweeney filled in admirably at first base while Howard was recovering from a sprained ankle. Without the so-called Big Piece, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. brought in Sweeney from Seattle to provide veteran know-how and a professional bat to hold the fort until the big slugger got back. Then, when Howard had recovered, Sweeney stepped back to the shadows where he served as a right-handed bat off the bench capable of lining one into the gap or, on occasion, going deep.

It’s a role Sweeney readily accepted when he agreed to sign on with the Phillies.

Still, it wasn’t all about winning for Sweeney. Sure, that was a major part of it, but Sweeney has had a relationship with Howard dating back to when the big kid from the St. Louis suburbs was just starting out after his collegiate career at Southwestern Missouri State.

In fact, one could make the argument that without Mike Sweeney, there would be no Ryan Howard.

“There’s a story that a lot of people don’t know about me and the man Sweeney,” Howard said during a quieter moment from Monday’s celebration. “When he was playing in Kansas City in 2001 or 2002, I was living in Kansas City and we worked out at the same place. I ran into Sween and [ex-Royals third baseman] Joe Randa and Sweeney came up to me when I was hitting in the cage and just told me that if I ever needed anyone to work out with, I was to let him know. Feel free.”

Sweeney was an established All-Star in the big leagues when he and Howard got together. Better yet, Sweeney was in the midst of putting together Ryan Howard-type seasons, driving in 144 RBIs in 2000, challenging for a batting title through the early years of the decade, and making annual trips to the All-Star Game.

So for a player like Sweeney to take a 21-year-old kid under his wing and help him blaze a trail to the major leagues meant everything to Howard.

“So it’s kind of funny that here we are come full circle and we’re celebrating together,” Howard said.

To Sweeney, who fell right in with his new teammates after arriving from Seattle, the clinching day in Washington was meaningful in so many ways. First, he’s leading a group of teammates to Walter Reed Hospital to visit with injured troops back from fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, and then his team made it to the playoffs for the first time in his career.

“I took care of Ryan when he was moving up and he’s the core guy and I’m just a fill-in, so for him to let me pop that champagne is something I’ll never forget,” Sweeney said.

Howard interrupted.

“It was only right,” Howard said. “Sweeney, Halladay and [catcher Brian] Schneider get to pop the first bottles. It was only right.”

For Sweeney, the 2010 season and coming over to the Phillies is the highlight of a solid career that could have produced Hall-of-Fame type numbers if he hadn’t been beset by injuries for the last five years.

“Ryan and I have been friends for a long time, and whenever we played against each other there was always a mutual respect,” Sweeney said. “When I came here I just wanted to do my part and fill in for the big guy. That was my feeling and I could never fill his shoes, but I was going to do what I could.”

Sweeney was simply doing what every ballplayer should, and that’s show respect for the game. That’s something bigger than any player or team, says Sweeney.

“Andre Dawson said it best: ‘Love the game and it will love you back,’” Sweeney said with a tinge of emotion in his voice. “I treated him like he was an All-Star and now that he’s an All-Star and I’m an old guy on the way out, he’s treated me the same.”

Indeed, if Mike Sweeney was finally going to the playoffs, it makes sense that Ryan Howard helped him get there.

that gave me chills, what a great story
    The Fixer wrote:
    cool story

Howard interrupted.

that gave me chills, what a great story

baseball rules
    www.myspace.com
  • The Fixer wrote:

I agree...go with Doc then Oswalt

Nice position were in as far as resting guys who need it (Polly and Doc)

Drabek facing the yanks tonight
  • you mean new york/boston centric ya bastird!

10th Inning Part 1 was really good. It's easy to forget how excited everybody was watching all those homers in 1998. And the 90s Yankees got maybe 10 minutes out of 2 hours. :lol: (they probably should've gotten more - but a solid home-grown team is boring, right?)

as a phils fan I'm pulling for the padres to get into the playoffs this weekend. They would be my first choice in the first round. Looks like they are gonna end up with SF or cincy though. That's kind of a coin flip. I guess I'd choose cincy because their rotation isn't that good.

1 week fellas. let the countdown begin

10th Inning Part 1 was really good. It's easy to forget how excited everybody was watching all those homers in 1998. And the 90s Yankees got maybe 10 minutes out of 2 hours. :lol: (they probably should've gotten more - but a solid home-grown team is boring, right?)

I thought the '96 Yankees got quite a bit of time. Too much maybe.

Here is something I don't get and I am not picking on your comment, I just hear it all the time and it boggles my mind. How were the '96 Yankees homegrown and the 2009 Yankees hated? Is it just because of the 4 plus Bernie were younger? I mean there is nothing home grown about:

Girardi
    Tino
    Boggs
    O'Neill
    Sierra
    Raines
    Straw
    Fielder
    Kenny Rogers
    Gooden
    Key
    Cone
    Wetteland

I love the Yankees as much as anyone but I don't get this at all. The economics of baseball have changed and so have the total payrolls
    Just touched base with my contact in the phils ticket office. Apparently this year is the toughest playoff ticket during the phils recent playoff run. Each of the last few years I have been able to land extra tickets to various games through the dude I know (game 1 of the NLDS last year, the rollins game vs LA, etc). He said this year he has nothing. People are gonna make a killing on stubhub.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Just touched base with my contact in the phils ticket office. Apparently this year is the toughest playoff ticket during the phils recent playoff run. Each of the last few years I have been able to land extra tickets to various games through the dude I know (game 1 of the NLDS last year, the rollins game vs LA, etc). He said this year he has nothing. People are gonna make a killing on stubhub.

i'm looking at game 2 nlds and sro's are around $100....about $20 more for terrace level/infield. that's about what i've paid the last few years.

when do you think the times will be released though? my friends are holding off until then because of work and stuff. i'm guessing not till sunday night?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i'm looking at game 2 nlds and sro's are around $100....about $20 more for terrace level/infield. that's about what i've paid the last few years.

when do you think the times will be released though? my friends are holding off until then because of work and stuff. i'm guessing not till sunday night?

yeah, sunday night/monday morning the times will be announced.

I had standing room for the rollins game last year. never again. I will gladly pay the extra 50 bucks for a seat
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I thought the '96 Yankees got quite a bit of time. Too much maybe.

Here is something I don't get and I am not picking on your comment, I just hear it all the time and it boggles my mind. How were the '96 Yankees homegrown and the 2009 Yankees hated? Is it just because of the 4 plus Bernie were younger? I mean there is nothing home grown about:

Girardi
    Tino
    Boggs
    O'Neill
    Sierra
    Raines
    Straw
    Fielder
    Kenny Rogers
    Gooden
    Key
    Cone
    Wetteland

I love the Yankees as much as anyone but I don't get this at all. The economics of baseball have changed and so have the total payrolls

A lot of those guys were reclamation projects. It wasn't a team bought with a quarter billion dollar offseason acquisition program, you know? But yeah, I guess technically it wasn't all that much of a "home grown" team.
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, sunday night/monday morning the times will be announced.

I had standing room for the rollins game last year. never again. I will gladly pay the extra 50 bucks for a seat

I don't think I'd ever buy an SRO ticket. Sounds like such a pain in the ass. It's extortion that they'd charge that much for those tickets. I thought the point of the open-concourse design was to allow openness. Instead it's just a way to rake in more cash. I guess I can't blame them for looking for any source of revenue they can find, but it rubs me the wrong way.

This discussion has been closed.