***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The Div Series starts on Wednesday. No playoffs games on Mon or Tue.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I disagree. I think it was pretty damned smart for cox not to use hudson or lowe vs the phils. He knew the pitchers the phils were rolling out in this series. I think he purposely held hudson/lowe back so his team can make a run at the wild card.

Maybe I'm giving cox too much credit, but he's been around. He knows what he's doing.

Maybe. The way Oswalt pitched, the Phils would've beaten Hudson or Lowe yesterday. I always kind of thought Cox was overrated, but that's just me.
    they have an excellent chance

the ws is a given..again because their is zero competition in the NL

the bravers? padres? giants? ok the reds are decent but cmon

Winning baseball playoff series is never a given - they're all kind of a crapshoot. But, given this team's experience and that it's clearly a cut above the rest of the NL, it'd be a big disappointment not to be in the WS.

Spearking of the Reds, Johnny Cueto can be just dreadful sometimes.

I just realized it's Neily - not Nelly. haha.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Funny story from last night...I will preface this story by telling you guys that I am the whitest, pastiest dude you will ever come across. I'm the epitome of a blond haired, blue eyed WASP.

Had tickets for last nights game and I got a text from one of my good friends that lives down in fishtown. He asked me if I wanted to hang out before the game. Said it was supposed to rain, so he wanted to hang at his place rather than tailgate. Sounded good to me so I went to his place. My wife was still at work, so we arranged to have her pick us up at his place, then head over to the game. We had 5-6 beers each before we left for the game and during the game I only had 1 beer. After the game he decided he was staying at the ballpark to hang at mcfaddens. My wife and I both just wanted to head home, so she dropped me at his place to get my car.

I usually take 95 to 476 to get home, but there is some construction going on and I didn't feel like sitting in traffic, so I decided to take the back roads through west philly to get home. I am cruising through beautiful west philadelphia, down frankfort avenue when a cop pulls me over. I wasn't drunk, and I didn't make any violations, so I was pretty confused. The guy was about 5'5 and he comes up to my car and tells me to give him my keys. I have been pulled over before and I know this isn't protocall. I asked him if everything was ok and he asked me for my keys again (this time raising his voice). He put my keys on the roof of my truck and asked for my paperwork, which I provided...then he told me to get out of the car. Dude checked my pockets and searched my car...asking if there was anything in the vehicle he should know about. No I told him. He then asked me if I knew what neighborhood I was in. I told him I had no clue, but my GPS was taking me this way on my way home. Then he told me to get back in the car and he ran my paperwork. Brought my stuff back to me and told me to have a good night (without giving me my keys, which were still on my roof). He never apologized or even gave me a reason for pulling me over.

I think the cop thought I was in the area to buy drugs. So I guess I was the whitest victim in the history of racial profiling. He seemed pretty pissed off that I didn't have anything on me. I almost shit myself when he started searching me, even though I didn't have anything to hide. I had been drinking earlier so who knows what I would have blown on a breathalizer (he never even asked me if I had been drinking).

Moral of the story is that 95% of cops are douchebags. And if you're a pasty white guy, don't drive around west philly trying to buy drugs late at night, because you will get nailed.

Can't do anything about racial profiling, but be careful about the boozing & driving. Maybe 3 or 4 beers before the game instead of 5 or 6. I'm always driving home after Temple b-ball games.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Funny story from last night...I will preface this story by telling you guys that I am the whitest, pastiest dude you will ever come across. I'm the epitome of a blond haired, blue eyed WASP.

Had tickets for last nights game and I got a text from one of my good friends that lives down in fishtown. He asked me if I wanted to hang out before the game. Said it was supposed to rain, so he wanted to hang at his place rather than tailgate. Sounded good to me so I went to his place. My wife was still at work, so we arranged to have her pick us up at his place, then head over to the game. We had 5-6 beers each before we left for the game and during the game I only had 1 beer. After the game he decided he was staying at the ballpark to hang at mcfaddens. My wife and I both just wanted to head home, so she dropped me at his place to get my car.

I usually take 95 to 476 to get home, but there is some construction going on and I didn't feel like sitting in traffic, so I decided to take the back roads through west philly to get home. I am cruising through beautiful west philadelphia, down frankfort avenue when a cop pulls me over. I wasn't drunk, and I didn't make any violations, so I was pretty confused. The guy was about 5'5 and he comes up to my car and tells me to give him my keys. I have been pulled over before and I know this isn't protocall. I asked him if everything was ok and he asked me for my keys again (this time raising his voice). He put my keys on the roof of my truck and asked for my paperwork, which I provided...then he told me to get out of the car. Dude checked my pockets and searched my car...asking if there was anything in the vehicle he should know about. No I told him. He then asked me if I knew what neighborhood I was in. I told him I had no clue, but my GPS was taking me this way on my way home. Then he told me to get back in the car and he ran my paperwork. Brought my stuff back to me and told me to have a good night (without giving me my keys, which were still on my roof). He never apologized or even gave me a reason for pulling me over.

I think the cop thought I was in the area to buy drugs. So I guess I was the whitest victim in the history of racial profiling. He seemed pretty pissed off that I didn't have anything on me. I almost shit myself when he started searching me, even though I didn't have anything to hide. I had been drinking earlier so who knows what I would have blown on a breathalizer (he never even asked me if I had been drinking).

Moral of the story is that 95% of cops are douchebags. And if you're a pasty white guy, don't drive around west philly trying to buy drugs late at night, because you will get nailed.

lucky he didn't make you blow bro

not a great idea
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    The Fixer wrote:
    This team is playing out of this world right now. Bobby Cox not setting up his rotation for this series was a bad mistake. Are big 3 have been all that and then some. We used 5 pitchers the whole series i kinda hope thats how the playoffs work out. Can't wait for another deep run in october go Phills.

I disagree. I think it was pretty damned smart for cox not to use hudson or lowe vs the phils. He knew the pitchers the phils were rolling out in this series. I think he purposely held hudson/lowe back so his team can make a run at the wild card.

Maybe I'm giving cox too much credit, but he's been around. He knows what he's doing.

I actually agree with on this. I think Cox figured if he pitches Hudson/Lowe against the Phils and they lose they are done anyway. So he saves them for this week and if you get killed by the Phils like they did you will most likely get a weakened Phillies lineup and minimal innings from Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels in the last series when those games will be the determining games for the wild card. Even if that wasn't his thinking it is how it played out - so next weekend the Braves will most likely play against a weakened phils lineup as they go for the wild card.

And Fixer I was at the game last night as well - don't you love how people run like hell at the 1st drop of rain? it's ridiculous. it was like a scud missle was coming at these people at the 1st rain drop - they ran like one drop was going to make them melt. jeez it's was barely more than a drizzle people - it won't kill ya.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

Can't do anything about racial profiling, but be careful about the boozing & driving. Maybe 3 or 4 beers before the game instead of 5 or 6. I'm always driving home after Temple b-ball games.

yeah, I am usually good about not getting behind the wheel if I've had too much. I was fine last night, my wife and I sat in the traffic leaving the parking lot for almost an hour after the game.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:

Thats pretty funny. I think this happens quite a bit actually. A while back a bunch of us were at Finnegans and we all hopped in cabs to head to a buddies house in Bridesburg. One of the cabs took a wrong turn and headed into the hood accidently. A cop pulled the cab over and did this exact same thing.
    pjhawks wrote:

And Fixer I was at the game last night as well - don't you love how people run like hell at the 1st drop of rain? it's ridiculous. it was like a scud missle was coming at these people at the 1st rain drop - they ran like one drop was going to make them melt. jeez it's was barely more than a drizzle people - it won't kill ya.

haha, funny. I asked my wife if it was acid rain because people were scurrying for cover.

Also, the rally towels are fucking stupid. The guy in front of me felt the need to wave his before every oswalt pitch. He blocked my view for half the game.

And the 'Make noise' crap they put on the big screen is gay too. don't tell me when to cheer, I know what's going on in the game, I'll get loud when I need to.

The crowds are like the phils are an expansion team.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    edited September 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

haha, funny. I asked my wife if it was acid rain because people were scurrying for cover.

Also, the rally towels are fucking stupid. The guy in front of me felt the need to wave his before every oswalt pitch. He blocked my view for half the game.

And the 'Make noise' crap they put on the big screen is gay too. don't tell me when to cheer, I know what's going on in the game, I'll get loud when I need to.

i don't hate the towels as long as they are used at the right moments but agree on the make noise and that stupid ass mets everybody clap your hands thing - i wanna shoot the scoreboard out when i see that.
  • just sawthe replay..that was a foul ball??????????? wtf :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i don't hate the towels as long as they are used at the right moments but agree on the make noise and that stupid ass mets everybody clap your hands thing - i wanna shot the scoreboard out when i see that.

yeah, the mets clap. I was complaining about that last night too. that's shea stadium garbage. they just started doing that this year I think. all the new fans love that addition.
    just sawthe replay..that was a foul ball??????????? wtf :lol:

my seats are right on the railing where that ball landed (you can see me on TV if you check DVR). there was a huge divot right on the foul line where the ball landed. definitely fair.
  • The Fixer wrote:

my seats are right on the railing where that ball landed (you can see me on TV if you check DVR). there was a huge divot right on the foul line where the ball landed. definitely fair.

you got more excuses than a drunk pervert :lol:
    The Fixer wrote:

you got more excuses than a drunk pervert :lol:

you just referenced me twice in your last post

don't know what to tell you man, the ball hit the line
  • Best record in the NL gets the choice of an extra day off. If the Phils do this, they won't have to use their #4 starter until game 4 of the NLCS - barring no fuck ups and being blasted from the LDS.

Fixer, where in West Philly were you stopped? I always go that way back to Delco when I'm in Center City or thereabouts. I find it funny when people not familiar with those parts of Philly get a little apprehensive. Went to the game last night with a buddy of mine, his girlfriend, girlfriend's friend and her husband. We took his pick up truck from Ardmore through West Philly. All they kept talking about was being in the ghetto. Funny. I guess I'm just used to it.
  • The "Everybody clap your hands" thing is just freakin' awful. It makes me STOP clapping my hands in protest. Leave that shit in Queens. Why would you steal anything from the Mets?

Rally towels come in real handy when it rains. Yeah, people are ridiculous about that. One time, some idiots were in front of us with a giant umbrella in a drizzle. We were repeatedly asking/mocking them. I was literally pushing the umbrella forward, since it was dripping more rain onto me. The lady was too ugly to worry about keeping her hair neat anyway.

That one game vs. the Mets (the last Phillies loss) Polanco hit a ball off the line in the 1st inning that they called foul. The divot was clearly visible on the line. These umpires are friggin idiots.

Best record in the NL gets the choice of an extra day off. If the Phils do this, they won't have to use their #4 starter until game 4 of the NLCS - barring no fuck ups and being blasted from the LDS.

Fixer, where in West Philly were you stopped? I always go that way back to Delco when I'm in Center City or thereabouts. I find it funny when people not familiar with those parts of Philly get a little apprehensive. Went to the game last night with a buddy of mine, his girlfriend, girlfriend's friend and her husband. We took his pick up truck from Ardmore through West Philly. All they kept talking about was being in the ghetto. Funny. I guess I'm just used to it.

We were talking about the schedule earlier this morning (a few pages back I guess). The phils are well set up. Crazy how things have gone over the last few weeks. 18-3 in september. That is insane.

I'm used to driving that way too. I was on frankfort ave...probably 2 miles before city line ave.

My favorite line from the Departed is the last one here

Billy Costigan: There was a cop leaving when I came in.
    Madolyn: How did you know he was a cop?
    Billy Costigan: Bad haircut, no dress sense, and, you know, a slight air of scumbag entitlement.

The lady was too ugly to worry about keeping her hair neat anyway.

classic

Sucks today is an off day
    The Fixer wrote:

The lady was too ugly to worry about keeping her hair neat anyway.

classic

Sucks today is an off day

Hell of an AL east matchup to tide you over
  • Also, Fixer, last night was Super Amateur Group-a-palooza Night. Seems like everyone there was a part of a group. High & Inside was inaccessible because of some stupid party, McFadden's was bordered off because of a party making it that much harder to move around. I must have been stuck behind the 10 year old Slumdog Millionaire Group waiting for a beer. My ticket was free because it was part of a group, my aunt was there for a group from her work. Super annoying.
    High & Inside was inaccessible because of some stupid party

What is this?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

What is this?

A little gem up behind home plate on the upper 300/400 level. Beers are the same price as a 16 oz. beer but you get 20 oz.'s instead. Full bar, TV's, A/C. Good place to hide away. Except for when it rains, then everyone crams in there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What is this?

A little gem up behind home plate on the upper 300/400 level. Beers are the same price as a 16 oz. beer but you get 20 oz.'s instead. Full bar, TV's, A/C. Good place to hide away. Except for when it rains, then everyone crams in there.

Nice, I have never heard of it. Will have to check it out next time I am down there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What is this?

I was thinking same thing.

didn't realize that yanks and rays had another game. price and fatty magoo...very nice. Miami at Pitt in college football too.

I just started watching season 1 of Mad Men on Netflix. Anyone else watch this? only through 1.5 episodes, but it seems like the show has potential
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What is this?

I was thinking same thing.

didn't realize that yanks and rays had another game. price and fatty magoo...very nice. Miami at Pitt in college football too.

I just started watching season 1 of Mad Men on Netflix. Anyone else watch this? only through 1.5 episodes, but it seems like the show has potential

Yeah, man. Big one too. A win tonight for the Yanks gives them a decent shot at the division, loss will be tough with Tampas easy schedule.

Hear it is good. Work in advertising so people I work with love it.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What is this?

Nice, I have never heard of it. Will have to check it out next time I am down there.

Yeah, definitely. Not enough people know about it, which is a good thing. And I'm a full supporter that a 400 level seat behind home plate in the first 5 rows is the best value for the price in the entire ballpark.

Fixer, I'll get to you on Irish Weekend - may get a little extensive and take a little time, but only because I love that kinda shit.

As for Mad Men - great show. Only watched a few episodes from season 2 and had to stop watching it because as Frank Costanza says, "I LIKE TO GO IN FRESH!"

Yeah, definitely. Not enough people know about it, which is a good thing. And I'm a full supporter that a 400 level seat behind home plate in the first 5 rows is the best value for the price in the entire ballpark.

I love these seats at Yankee stadium. Where I always try and sit. Great view of the field.
  • Just got this e-mail...

NLDS Ticket Purchase Opportunity

Thank you for registering for a chance to purchase tickets for the Phillies postseason. Unfortunately your entry was not selected for our online National League Division Series (NLDS) sale.

:cry::cry:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    not so far fetched ..real good team in a weak league

sour grapes
    :lol::lol:

GO PHILS!

I think we'll be hearing a lot more of those in the coming months. :P

clearly sensing some frustration that way right now... :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    Just got this e-mail...

NLDS Ticket Purchase Opportunity

Thank you for registering for a chance to purchase tickets for the Phillies postseason. Unfortunately your entry was not selected for our online National League Division Series (NLDS) sale.

:cry::cry:

stubhub or cragslist it up dude. i didnt even try for that but i will be there for at least 1 or 2 games...with bells on. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

"

the jeagler can be spotted in section 421 quite regularly. i love how the high and inside bar is still relatively unknow to most fans. best bang for your buck is right there.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.