***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• My favorite stat of the day:

Phillies pitchers won 20 games 49 times, 25 of them happening from 1883 to 1899. The overall list includes names like Grover Cleveland Alexander, Kid Gleason, Wiley Piatt, Duke Esper, Togie Pittinger and Tully Sparks. (No, I had never heard of Wiatt, Esper, Pittinger or Sparks, either.)

25 in 18 years? What? Yeah, I guess it's gotten harder to win 20 games. I like Zolecki's typo on Piatt or Wiatt or whoever it was.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Speaking of News and Notes...this was at the bottom of the recap on Yahoo from last nights game :

Notes: Halladay’s 13 wins against the NL East are the most since the league was broken into three divisions in 1994. … The Phillies are 50-27 at home, their most wins since going 52-29 in 1993. … The nine-game winning streak is a season-high for Philadelphia. … Phillies C Carlos Ruiz threw down to third on a close 1-2 pitch to McCann that was called a ball in the second. … Halladay is the second 20-game winner in the majors, joining CC Sabathia(notes) of the New York Yankees.

WTF does that have to do with anything ???

:lol::lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    the phils are so hot they are pushing the temperature back towards 90 degrees today.

get out the brooms fellas
  • Big week in store for this fella.

Fixer, looks like I'll be down there on Saturday for this kid's birfday. Phils game tonight, LCD Soundsystem on Friday, Irish Weekend/Birthday extravaganza on Saturday, Phils game on Sunday followed by watching the Birds....somewhere....gonna be a good one!
    Big week in store for this fella.

Fixer, looks like I'll be down there on Saturday for this kid's birfday. Phils game tonight, LCD Soundsystem on Friday, Irish Weekend/Birthday extravaganza on Saturday, Phils game on Sunday followed by watching the Birds....somewhere....gonna be a good one!

Nice. Gotta love long weekends like that.

This weekend is gonna be a disaster. Just got an email from the guy running the bach party. He laid out the itinerary for the weekend.

1 - Drink
    2 - Drink
    3 - Drink

My kind of party

I'm heading down tonight as well
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    the fiance just called to say "we have a game to watch tonight, what time will you be home?"

that's a quality fiance :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • the fiance just called to say "we have a game to watch tonight, what time will you be home?"

Nicely done. My wife has gone with me on baseball tours of all 5 California ballparks and 4 Midwestern ballparks. Our kid(s) will be brainwashed to love baseball.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    the fiance just called to say "we have a game to watch tonight, what time will you be home?"

Nicely done. My wife has gone with me on baseball tours of all 5 California ballparks and 4 Midwestern ballparks. Our kid(s) will be brainwashed to love baseball.

that is awesome. yeah one of our favorite things to do together is go to phils games. we're thinking of a trip to san fran next year to see pac bell or whatever the hell they call it now. got a buddy who lives out there...
    www.myspace.com
  • MAGIC NUMBER 4!!!!!!

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,758
    Sweep! 10 in a row! magic #4 :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • MAGIC NUMBER 4!!!!!!

What an awesome fucking game! Great performance. Oswalt had no-hit stuff. Raul with a huge clutch hit, Werth great baserunning. Lidge 3 saves in 3 nights - can't remember last time I saw that.

Reds are getting killed, so Magic # s/be 4 to clinch home field throughout the playoffs too!

• MAGIC NUMBER 4!!!!!!

What an awesome fucking game! Great performance. Oswalt had no-hit stuff. Raul with a huge clutch hit, Werth great baserunning. Lidge 3 saves in 3 nights - can't remember last time I saw that.

Reds are getting killed, so Magic # s/be 4 to clinch home field throughout the playoffs too!

Raul has been so clucth lately

Opposite of Polanco...I wonder if his elbow is bothering him again ?

Oswalt's ERA with Philly under 2....thats impressive

• Raul has been so clucth lately

Opposite of Polanco...I wonder if his elbow is bothering him again ?

Oswalt's ERA with Philly under 2....thats impressive

I really thought he had a shot at a no hitter in this game. Just sick. I feel sorry for any team that goes against him in the playoffs. Ok, not really. Glad the rain held off!

ruben amaro has made 3 of the greatest trades in this history of this city. god bless that roy oswalt.

who's beating us with that rotation???????!??
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Oswalt was and has been awesome. I admit I wasn't a huge Oswalt fan when he was with Houston but the guy has been awesome here in Philly. Damn impressive. It's not over until it's over, but it's over boys. 4 straight division titles and a great chance at 3 straight world series - wow. what can you say? amazing that they are going to end this before next weekend. never saw that coming.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    Oswalt was and has been awesome. I admit I wasn't a huge Oswalt fan when he was with Houston but the guy has been awesome here in Philly. Damn impressive. It's not over until it's over, but it's over boys. 4 straight division titles and a great chance at 3 straight world series - wow. what can you say? amazing that they are going to end this before next weekend. never saw that coming.

not so far fetched ..real good team in a weak league
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    pjhawks wrote:

not so far fetched ..real good team in a weak league

sour grapes

GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com
  • Who knows if its true but....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

The Phillies are believed to have offered Werth the deal Jason Bay got from the Mets last offseason of $66 million for four years, or thereabouts, which Werth rejected while represented by Jeff Borris and the Beverly Hills Sports Council. That is also not a comparison preferred by Boras, who just started representing Werth and called him a "dynamic outfielder who can play center field."

• not so far fetched ..real good team in a weak league

sour grapes

GO PHILS!

I think we'll be hearing a lot more of those in the coming months. :P

Who knows if its true but....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

The Phillies are believed to have offered Werth the deal Jason Bay got from the Mets last offseason of $66 million for four years, or thereabouts, which Werth rejected while represented by Jeff Borris and the Beverly Hills Sports Council. That is also not a comparison preferred by Boras, who just started representing Werth and called him a "dynamic outfielder who can play center field."

the boras quote in that clip is hilarious. werth is horrendous in CF. I think he's overrated in RF defensively
  • i might have to start searching this thread from july :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i might have to start searching this thread from july :lol:

haha. neily, be afraid. if there is a WS rematch I like the phils chances a lot better than I did last year.
    amaro said that if the phils lock up the number 1 seed in the NL that they will be taking the long series in round 1. that means their first game will be on tuesday.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited September 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    i might have to start searching this thread from july :lol:

haha. neily, be afraid. if there is a WS rematch I like the phils chances a lot better than I did last year.

they have an excellent chance

the ws is a given..again because their is zero competition in the NL

the bravers? padres? giants? ok the reds are decent but cmon
  • This team is playing out of this world right now. Bobby Cox not setting up his rotation for this series was a bad mistake. Are big 3 have been all that and then some. We used 5 pitchers the whole series i kinda hope thats how the playoffs work out. Can't wait for another deep run in october go Phills.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    amaro said that if the phils lock up the number 1 seed in the NL that they will be taking the long series in round 1. that means their first game will be on tuesday.

You sure? This is what I am seeing for the schedule

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp

Edit: And I only ask because I am going by this for the first home game of the ALDS because I have tickets for that
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Edit: And I only ask because I am going by this for the first home game of the ALDS because I have tickets for that

I thought I heard tuesday, but I guess it's wednesday. I didn't think the phils decision effected the AL, but I'm not sure about that.

He definitely said they want the long series, so the phils will be playing on the first day of the playoffs. They won't have to use blanton until game 4 of the NLCS. that is scary
    This team is playing out of this world right now. Bobby Cox not setting up his rotation for this series was a bad mistake. Are big 3 have been all that and then some. We used 5 pitchers the whole series i kinda hope thats how the playoffs work out. Can't wait for another deep run in october go Phills.

I disagree. I think it was pretty damned smart for cox not to use hudson or lowe vs the phils. He knew the pitchers the phils were rolling out in this series. I think he purposely held hudson/lowe back so his team can make a run at the wild card.

Maybe I'm giving cox too much credit, but he's been around. He knows what he's doing.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I thought I heard tuesday, but I guess it's wednesday. I didn't think the phils decision effected the AL, but I'm not sure about that.

He definitely said they want the long series, so the phils will be playing on the first day of the playoffs. They won't have to use blanton until game 4 of the NLCS. that is scary

Yeah, the Phillies decision definitely wont impact the AL but I was just curious if what I was looking at was completely wrong. Making plans around that Wednesday or Saturday and got worried for a second.
    Funny story from last night...I will preface this story by telling you guys that I am the whitest, pastiest dude you will ever come across. I'm the epitome of a blond haired, blue eyed WASP.

Had tickets for last nights game and I got a text from one of my good friends that lives down in fishtown. He asked me if I wanted to hang out before the game. Said it was supposed to rain, so he wanted to hang at his place rather than tailgate. Sounded good to me so I went to his place. My wife was still at work, so we arranged to have her pick us up at his place, then head over to the game. We had 5-6 beers each before we left for the game and during the game I only had 1 beer. After the game he decided he was staying at the ballpark to hang at mcfaddens. My wife and I both just wanted to head home, so she dropped me at his place to get my car.

I usually take 95 to 476 to get home, but there is some construction going on and I didn't feel like sitting in traffic, so I decided to take the back roads through west philly to get home. I am cruising through beautiful west philadelphia, down frankfort avenue when a cop pulls me over. I wasn't drunk, and I didn't make any violations, so I was pretty confused. The guy was about 5'5 and he comes up to my car and tells me to give him my keys. I have been pulled over before and I know this isn't protocall. I asked him if everything was ok and he asked me for my keys again (this time raising his voice). He put my keys on the roof of my truck and asked for my paperwork, which I provided...then he told me to get out of the car. Dude checked my pockets and searched my car...asking if there was anything in the vehicle he should know about. No I told him. He then asked me if I knew what neighborhood I was in. I told him I had no clue, but my GPS was taking me this way on my way home. Then he told me to get back in the car and he ran my paperwork. Brought my stuff back to me and told me to have a good night (without giving me my keys, which were still on my roof). He never apologized or even gave me a reason for pulling me over.

I think the cop thought I was in the area to buy drugs. So I guess I was the whitest victim in the history of racial profiling. He seemed pretty pissed off that I didn't have anything on me. I almost shit myself when he started searching me, even though I didn't have anything to hide. I had been drinking earlier so who knows what I would have blown on a breathalizer (he never even asked me if I had been drinking).

Moral of the story is that 95% of cops are douchebags. And if you're a pasty white guy, don't drive around west philly trying to buy drugs late at night, because you will get nailed.
This discussion has been closed.