***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he pitched poorly last year and deserved to be critisized....but clearly not the extent you described.

all in the past though.

nats up 4-2

He wasn't as bad as people think he was. His ERA was right around 4. That's not horrible. People act like he was adam eaton last year.

if people act like he was adam eaton--those people are idiots.

but he did not pitch up to his potential last year and deserved criticism. his era was 1.3 higher than the year before, he had about 30k less strikeouts, 34 less innings with about the same amount of games pitched. he did walk a little less and gave up 4 less homers......but overall, he's better than that. he proved it in '08 and again this year. god bless him for it. this is the cole we need in the post season.

let's go win the whole f'ing thing!
    GO PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

but he did not pitch up to his potential last year and deserved criticism. his era was 1.3 higher than the year before, he had about 30k less strikeouts, 34 less innings with about the same amount of games pitched. he did walk a little less and gave up 4 less homers......but overall, he's better than that. he proved it in '08 and again this year. god bless him for it. this is the cole we need in the post season.

GO PHILS.

you know he threw way more innings in 2008 than he ever had in a season right? studies have shown that pitchers that dramatically exceed their previous career high in IPs will have some kind of regression in performance. Hamels is a perfect example of this.

He was pretty damn good in 2008 (and 2007). I was willing to give him more than a season off of 2008 before I started criticizing the dude. He's still only 26 and he was the main reason they got to and won the WS.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,758
    everybody hits! :D soon to be 3 game lead in the NL East
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Looking good,19 wins for doc in about an hour and change.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Congrats on another east title

Braves are done
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    The Fixer wrote:

GO PHILS.

you know he threw way more innings in 2008 than he ever had in a season right? studies have shown that pitchers that dramatically exceed their previous career high in IPs will have some kind of regression in performance. Hamels is a perfect example of this.

He was pretty damn good in 2008 (and 2007). I was willing to give him more than a season off of 2008 before I started criticizing the dude. He's still only 26 and he was the main reason they got to and won the WS.

well aware of everything you mentioned. it's common knowledge at this point. and, congrats. cuz you're probably the only phils fan in the world to not criticize him for anything last year. especially after game 3. :roll:

love the guy. glad he bounced back big time. we needed it.
    www.myspace.com
    why is lidge in this game??

this manager does some really really dumb shit
  • The Fixer wrote:

What you dont use your closer in a 6 run game ??

:roll:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

especially since his elbow has been bothering him. and he pitched last night

fucking stupid
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

fucking stupid

I realize they have the day off but come on

It's a must win but come on

• PHEW !!

3 games up !!

:clap::clap:

The Fixer wrote:

fucking stupid

yeah man, like you said, 6 run lead.

whatever, they won. again. at least he took halladay out before the 7th tonight
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

fucking stupid

yeah man, like you said, 6 run lead.

whatever, they won. again. at least he took halladay out before the 7th tonight

I hope they get a chance to give Doc a rest at some point

I hope they get a chance to give Doc a rest at some point

yeah, that would be sweet. they are 2 up on cincy right now for the 1 seed in the NL. gotta think that's goal 2, after the division.

they're sitting pretty right now. next week's braves series is big
  • 17-3 in their last 20 road games ?

Did I hear that right ?

DAMN!

17-3 in their last 20 road games ?

Did I hear that right ?

DAMN!

this team's been on fire since late july. let's keep it going for the next 6-7 weeks :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Here it is. .643 baseball isn't going to be easy. I don't think they are getting to the playoffs this year, which will really suck ass.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columni ... retch.html
    With everyone back healthy this team can do anything they want. I dont care what articles or experts say,we have the best pitching staff in these last 3yrs this year by far. Are lineup is probably the best or 2nd best in baseball when healthy,which we finially are. Thers's no way inless more injuries occur that we miss the playoffs.
    This guys smart i tell ya,even on august 22nd the future was known.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    Here it is. .643 baseball isn't going to be easy. I don't think they are getting to the playoffs this year, which will really suck ass.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columni ... retch.html
    With everyone back healthy this team can do anything they want. I dont care what articles or experts say,we have the best pitching staff in these last 3yrs this year by far. Are lineup is probably the best or 2nd best in baseball when healthy,which we finially are. Thers's no way inless more injuries occur that we miss the playoffs.

yeah...but i was saying it when you were ready to trade jw and call it a season :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

Zach Duke

ERA W-L SO WHIP BAA
    5.78 7-14 89 1.67 .326
  • Ha ha,Werth is the most annoying talented player ever. He's bad at bats make howards look ok imo. The Ny fans will kill him next year for his lapses.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The Fixer wrote:

Zach Duke

ERA W-L SO WHIP BAA
    5.78 7-14 89 1.67 .326
    It wasn't a shot at u it was just funny that them comments were together. I said duke would be a good #4 here nothing more.
    Go Birds!!!!

Zach Duke

ERA W-L SO WHIP BAA
    5.78 7-14 89 1.67 .326[/quote]
    It wasn't a shot at u it was just funny that them comments were together. I said duke would be a good #4 here nothing more.[/quote]

I was just busting your balls too. You talked duke up more than a 4. this was before they got oswalt so you were calling him a 3.

you were right about playoffs (hopefully), but you were wrong about duke. He is terrible
  • The Fixer wrote:

Zach Duke

ERA W-L SO WHIP BAA
    5.78 7-14 89 1.67 .326
    It wasn't a shot at u it was just funny that them comments were together. I said duke would be a good #4 here nothing more.[/quote]

I was just busting your balls too. You talked duke up more than a 4. this was before they got oswalt so you were calling him a 3.

you were right about playoffs (hopefully), but you were wrong about duke. He is terrible[/quote]

I 100% believe if Duke was with a winning team he'd easily be a top3 pitcher. Dudes got alot of talent and he's still kinda young. Playoffs are coming and a long run is in the future. Sept 20th ill be at the opening game of the braves series.
    Go Birds!!!!

I 100% believe if Duke was with a winning team he'd easily be a top3 pitcher. Dudes got alot of talent and he's still kinda young. Playoffs are coming and a long run is in the future. Sept 20th ill be at the opening game of the braves series.

don't want to get into a debate about duke again. just look at his numbers dude, he blows. batters are hitting .326 off of him. that's absurd. it has nothing to do with his team, he just isn't good. at all
  • http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100916_Phillies_Notebook__Phillies_catcher_Ruiz_invaluable_behind_the_plate.html

This is an article about Chooch's value, which I completely agree with. I think he's the non-pitcher MVP of this team. However, notice the team's leader in "WAR" below. Anyone else think that this validates that WAR is a bunch of bullshit? Teams are pitching around R6 because they know Mr. Bases Empty Werth is going to choke with RISP.

"For those interested in more advanced statistics, Ruiz is tied for second on the team in Wins Above Replacement (WAR), a formula that attempts to approximate how many victories a player added to a team's performance above what a replacement player would have. Only Jayson Werth's 4.0 WAR is higher than Ruiz' 3.4 (Chase Utley also entered with a 3.4)."

Just remember this next time someone brings up WAR.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100916_Phillies_Notebook__Phillies_catcher_Ruiz_invaluable_behind_the_plate.html

This is an article about Chooch's value, which I completely agree with. I think he's the non-pitcher MVP of this team. However, notice the team's leader in "WAR" below. Anyone else think that this validates that WAR is a bunch of bullshit? Teams are pitching around R6 because they know Mr. Bases Empty Werth is going to choke with RISP.

"For those interested in more advanced statistics, Ruiz is tied for second on the team in Wins Above Replacement (WAR), a formula that attempts to approximate how many victories a player added to a team's performance above what a replacement player would have. Only Jayson Werth's 4.0 WAR is higher than Ruiz' 3.4 (Chase Utley also entered with a 3.4)."

oh boy. somehow i think the people who often cite WAR know this, but choose not to mention it. :lol:

chooch is the man. if i were to purchase a phils jersey, it would either be ruiz or hamels.

how bout yound drabek last night? kid looked good in his debut. good for him.

well deserved off day for the phils today.
    www.myspace.com
  • http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100916_Phillies_Notebook__Phillies_catcher_Ruiz_invaluable_behind_the_plate.html

oh boy. somehow i think the people who often cite WAR know this, but choose not to mention it. :lol:

chooch is the man. if i were to purchase a phils jersey, it would either be ruiz or hamels.

how bout yound drabek last night? kid looked good in his debut. good for him.

well deserved off day for the phils today.

Thats cause NO stat tells the whole truth and Drabeks line looked pretty good.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Werth has the highest WAR because he has been the only Phillie to stay healthy I would imagine
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Werth has the highest WAR because he has been the only Phillie to stay healthy I would imagine

That's why war means nothing to most people. Its a stat that shows that the phillies biggiest bonehead player is there best. When anyone who follows the team will tell u otherwise.
    Go Birds!!!!
    your jeagler has just secured tickets to wednesday's braves game :clap:
    it really is a pleasure knowing we'll be seeing mr oswalt on the mound for that one. helluva trade.

i don't know about you clowns but my confidence level is inching up towards the roof right now. i'm really liking our chances next month....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... s_set.html
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.