***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Fixer, I know you can't stand Stark, but what did you think of his article on changing up the playoff format? I'm actually a fan of it. Makes a lot of sense too. I'll see if I can find the link if you haven't read it. EDIT: Here it is for anyone who hasn't read it - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... ngs1000909

Chase Utley has the chance of being the Derek Jeter of the Phillies. It's just a shame he came up to the bigs late in age. He's not going anywhere.
  • Fixer, I know you can't stand Stark, but what did you think of his article on changing up the playoff format? I'm actually a fan of it. Makes a lot of sense too. I'll see if I can find the link if you haven't read it. EDIT: Here it is for anyone who hasn't read it - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... ngs1000909

Chase Utley has the chance of being the Derek Jeter of the Phillies. It's just a shame he came up to the bigs late in age. He's not going anywhere.

I love this 2nd Wild Card idea. It's not original; I've been hearing about it a few years now. I'd have the 2nd Wild Card play 2 games at the 1st Wild Card's stadium. They have to win both. 1st WC just has to win one game to advance. That probably won't happen though - they'd get greedy and make it best-of-3. One game series would be my 2nd choice after the 2 game series.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    metsfan wrote:
    I find that funny considering most met fans are jet fans

This is true. I would never say anything about the Eagles as I'm just a big of a Jets fan as a Met fan and don't give a shit about the Eagles/Giants etc...J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets....anyway, glad you enjoyed the game at Citi, Fixer..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    like clockwork...

Ryan Howard, Mr. September

By Ray Parrillo

Inquirer Staff Writer

NEW YORK - Ryan Howard either can't explain it or would prefer not to even try. After all, superstition is in just about every baseball player's DNA, so why invite a jinx?

But for whatever reason - sharper focus, pennant-race adrenaline - September has been Howard's most productive month since he took root as the Phillies' full-time cleanup hitter in 2006.
    Phillies 8, Mets 4

He's at it again.

Howard hit an impressive bases-empty home run to tie Friday's game against the Mets at Citi Field, 3-3. It was his fifth homer in 10 games this month and third in three games. It was impressive because it was a low line drive that threatened to wipe out the first couple rows just beyond the left-field wall of the spacious ballpark. Few hitters have such opposite field power.

Howard's homer was as effective as it was impressive. It seemed to leave Mets righthander Jenrry Mejia, who made his second big-league start, somewhat shaken. The Phillies strung together five singles for three more runs following Howard's 29th homer, which gave Roy Halladay breathing room to settle down for win No. 18 after a difficult third inning.

Howard flexed his muscles again in the seventh inning of the 8-4 win when he doubled off the base of the center-field fence, 408 feet away.

Since the calendar flipped to September, Howard is batting .333 (13 for 39) with 11 RBIs and four doubles to go with those five homers. He has seven hits and eight RBIs the last three games.

"I guess he just likes September," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "Reggie Jackson's Mr. October because he hit good in October. Howard's picked September. It's a good time to get hot because that's what people remember over the winter. If you're going for a contract or something, that's good strategy. I'll tell him next year when we start the season I want him to stay hot for all six months."

On Wednesday against Florida , Howard became the first player this season to knock in at least six runs in a game twice. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Howard became only the third Phillie with two six-RBI games in the same season. The others were Cy Williams in 1927 and Pete Incaviglia in 1996. Baseball began tracking RBIs in 1920.

Howard is simply following a pattern he established. In 172 career games he's played after Aug. 31, he has a .316 average with 57 home runs and 152 RBIs. His next best month is July, in which he's batted .295.

Howard's homer Friday was the 251st of his career, tying him with Pat Burrell for third place on the Phillies' all-time list. Nearly 23 percent of Howard's career homers - almost one in four - have come after Aug. 31.

This season, September couldn't come soon enough for Howard because his August was so forgettable. He missed 16 games while on the disabled list from Aug. 3-20 with a sprained ankle. It took Howard a while to regain his stroke when he returned from the DL. The 10 games following his return, Howard struck out 17 times in 40 at-bats and had only five hits and four RBIs with one homer, which came on the final day in August.

Then came September, when the leaves begin to fall and Ryan Howard rises.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Howard sucks in september...oh wait, we love him in september. i'm so confused :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Howard sucks in september...oh wait, we love him in september. i'm so confused :?

if you want consistency, look to the jeagler :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • 81 wrote:

if you want consistency, look to the jeagler :mrgreen:
    I've never swayed,i've appericate him all year long,not just in september.
    Go Birds!!!!
    helluva play by werth and schneids.......cards and braves are tied.

come on offense. god damn it...
    www.myspace.com
  • Oh well, you can't win 'em all. At least R6 got a 2-run single off Feliciano. He never hits that guy.

Let's go Cards.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Oh well, you can't win 'em all. At least R6 got a 2-run single off Feliciano. He never hits that guy.

Let's go Cards.

win tomorrow. take the series.

go birds.
    www.myspace.com
    will be listening to franske and la call this one in the parking lot today. in some respects, i enjoy listening to the game rather than watching it sometimes. and that's not just because the tv guys are horrific.
    www.myspace.com
  • will be listening to franske and la call this one in the parking lot today. in some respects, i enjoy listening to the game rather than watching it sometimes. and that's not just because the tv guys are horrific.

Baseball transfers through the radio better than any sport. You can usually get a good picture of what's going on. And good announcers like Franzke & LA enhance the experience.

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Fixer, I know you can't stand Stark, but what did you think of his article on changing up the playoff format? I'm actually a fan of it. Makes a lot of sense too. I'll see if I can find the link if you haven't read it. EDIT: Here it is for anyone who hasn't read it - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... ngs1000909

I did read it. I'm not a fan of the idea of byes in the playoffs for baseball. If it was up to me they would go back to 2 divisions, then have 2 WC teams in each league. That is an easier solution to keep teams involved. Honestly, I think things are fine the way they are, except for the shitty central divisions in both leagues
    besides his first start with the phils, oswalt has been money

braves getting smacked...love it

18 games left fellas. The phils magic number is 17 :P
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Fixer, I know you can't stand Stark, but what did you think of his article on changing up the playoff format? I'm actually a fan of it. Makes a lot of sense too. I'll see if I can find the link if you haven't read it. EDIT: Here it is for anyone who hasn't read it - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... ngs1000909

I did read it. I'm not a fan of the idea of byes in the playoffs for baseball. If it was up to me they would go back to 2 divisions, then have 2 WC teams in each league. That is an easier solution to keep teams involved. Honestly, I think things are fine the way they are, except for the shitty central divisions in both leagues

Not a fan of byes either, but I like it if you can schedule it so the playoffs start as scheduled. Have this series, or what have you, happen between the end of the season and the wednesday start of the playoffs. There's no way they go back the other way though.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    oh yeah and Ryan Howard killed it on Entourage last night. Not only can the man hit he can act. Although the Fixer didn't like how Ryan was sitting in the chair during the cameo, posture was off...
  • pjhawks wrote:
    oh yeah and Ryan Howard killed it on Entourage last night. Not only can the man hit he can act. Although the Fixer didn't like how Ryan was sitting in the chair during the cameo, posture was off...

I hope nobody takes this bait.

It's nice to pick up 1/2 a game during a 4-game Braves home series and a 3-game Phils away series.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    pjhawks wrote:

It's nice to pick up 1/2 a game during a 4-game Braves home series and a 3-game Phils away series.

seems like the Braves are just hanging on by a thread but Phils can't seem to get separation. Phils playing good ball though. If you take out the Kendrick starts this team has been great. Oswalt has been way better than expected (at least by me). His game yesterday was awesome. the fact that he follows Kendrick in the rotation makes his starts even more important and so far he has been fabulous in that spot. Keep it going boys, knock the Marlins out early.
    edited September 2010
    pjhawks wrote:

that might have been the funniest scene of the season for 3 reasons...

1 - howard's freeloading brother should be the monkey in drama's new show

2 - the mention of the $125 million contract. that made me puke on myself

3 - this season of entourage was the worst thing ever and didn't have any funny scenes
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

seems like the Braves are just hanging on by a thread but Phils can't seem to get separation. Phils playing good ball though. If you take out the Kendrick starts this team has been great. Oswalt has been way better than expected (at least by me). His game yesterday was awesome. the fact that he follows Kendrick in the rotation makes his starts even more important and so far he has been fabulous in that spot. Keep it going boys, knock the Marlins out early.

the braves aren't going away. their pitching is too good.

good thing is that the phils control their own destiny. they should get in as long as they don't lose all 6 to atlanta. which shouldn't happen with their 3 horses throwing all 6 games (assuming halladay's arm doesn't fall off from the idiot manager overusing him)
    Love this stuff. cosart, colvin, and singleton are the 3 guys I didn't want the phils to trade at the deadline.

Phillies' Lakewood affiliate is well-stocked
    September, 11, 2010Sep 119:31AM ET
    By Keith Law
    The Phillies' Lakewood affiliate has been one of the most prospect-laden clubs in the minors this year, with a rotation headed by the now-injured Jarred Cosart and, for part of the year, also featuring Trevor May, who punched out 13 on Wednesday as Lakewood took Game 1 of its best-of-three playoff series against Hickory. Game 2, eventually won by Hickory in 10 innings, included a strong matchup of starting pitching prospects and ended up a showcase for the best reliever on each club, but the biggest name involved was Lakewood first baseman Jonathan Singleton.

Singleton burst on to the prospect map this year when he hit over .400 with a slugging percentage near .700 for his first month with Lakewood, and while his performance slid after that, there's still a fair amount to like. Singleton is physically well-developed already at 6-foot-2 and a listed weight of 215 -- although I'd guess he's a little bigger than that -- and has an outstanding swing with good hand speed and excellent hip rotation for future power. He tends to hit a little too much off his front foot -- he can end up with his weight completely off his back side -- but he gets great extension through the zone, and if there was a beauty contest for swings he'd be one of the favorites. At the plate Friday, Singleton didn't look good, but it could simply be exhaustion, as he was late on 88 mph fastballs from the lefty Erlin and struggled to adjust to anything offspeed. I'm inclined to think he's more of a one-level-per-year guy right now, since his season started late, he's already worn out in early September and his recognition of breaking balls is limited, but he does control the zone pretty well and his swing is ready to play at higher levels.

• Brody Colvin started for Lakewood and showed big velocity with below average command and control. Colvin hit 94 on his first pitch and pitched from 91-95 over his five innings, losing about 2 mph when working from the stretch. He accelerates his arm very quickly and gets good extension out front, so the ball appears to come quickly out of his hand towards the hitter. He was more confident in his 83-84 mph changeup, which had a lot of late downward action, than his 77-79 mph slider, which had some tilt but was less consistent and occasionally flattened out. Colvin cuts himself off in his delivery and didn't command anything as well to his glove side as he did to his arm side -- I could see him getting around the side of that slider -- but the raw material is there for a No. 2 starter who brings two or three above-average pitches.

• Robbie Erlin had much better results than Colvin but doesn't have the same ceiling. He touched 90 but was mostly 87-89 with a slow downer curve at 71-75 and a changeup with early action. He likes to pitch inside and threw everything for strikes, but his size -- he's listed at 5'11", so apparently an error of two or three inches is now acceptable -- and lack of big stuff really limit his upside, probably to a bullpen role.

• Erlin was followed by another lefty, Miguel de los Santos -- one of three players with the surname de los Santos on Hickory -- who faced 15 batters and punched out eight of them with a solid-average fastball at 89-92 and plus changeup at 80-83. He used the change heavily, throwing it for strikes, throwing it at 0-0, ahead in the count, or behind in the count, and throwing it to both sides of the plate, even under right-handers' hands. He also showed a 70-73 mph curveball that would help if he was starting, but the fastball/changeup alone make him a serious relief prospect. De los Santos struck out the first three men he faced, then walked the leadoff man in his second inning, followed by a double that put men on second and third ... after which he struck out the next three guys, showing the kind of guts that scouts love to see in young pitchers.

• Lakewood countered with a relief ace of their own, Julio Rodriguez, who struck out 90 men this year for the Blueclaws in 55 innings and punched out five of the ten men he faced on Friday. Rodriguez didn't show a real knockout pitch and his fastball only touched 91, sitting mostly 86-89 in his second and third innings. He mixed four pitches very effectively, showing good two-plane break on the slow curve and hard tilt on the slider, with only the changeup a "show-me" offering (just to let hitters know he has one). Rodriguez's arm is loose and easy, and he works quickly, keeping hitters off balance. If he can hold that velocity as a starter, he has the body and repertoire to become a legitimate starter prospect, even though I think the crazy strikeout rate this year wasn't indicative of his raw stuff.

• Lakewood right fielder Anthony Hewitt batted three times ... and struck out three times. Breaking balls, fastballs up, changeups -- he can swing and miss with the best of them.

• Centerfielder Jiwan James didn't fare much better, fanning four times in five at bats. James' pitch recognition is a notch or two above Hewitt's, and like Hewitt he looks good in the uniform. James doesn't have Hewitt's raw power, but I give him a better chance to hit, and he does have the four tools other than power, with good bat speed and lots of range in center. He barely uses his lower half at all, with limited rotation, and tends to meet the ball a little out front, all of which points away from power despite the fact that he could easily end up over 200 pounds when he's in his late 20s.

• Catcher Sebastian Valle punched out three times in four ABs with a walk, although his at bats were mostly sound and he had a few good takes and showed he could foul off a lot of pitches he couldn't hit fairly below the zone. His stride at the plate is very short, but he's got good hands and uses his lower half well, which is why he's showing power already even though he's still pretty slight. He's a work in progress behind the plate but has arm strength and showed soft enough hands that he projects well defensively.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Love this stuff. cosart, colvin, and singleton are the 3 guys I didn't want the phils to trade at the deadline.

Phillies' Lakewood affiliate is well-stocked
    September, 11, 2010Sep 119:31AM ET
    By Keith Law
    The Phillies' Lakewood affiliate has been one of the most prospect-laden clubs in the minors this year, with a rotation headed by the now-injured Jarred Cosart and, for part of the year, also featuring Trevor May, who punched out 13 on Wednesday as Lakewood took Game 1 of its best-of-three playoff series against Hickory. Game 2, eventually won by Hickory in 10 innings, included a strong matchup of starting pitching prospects and ended up a showcase for the best reliever on each club, but the biggest name involved was Lakewood first baseman Jonathan Singleton.

Singleton burst on to the prospect map this year when he hit over .400 with a slugging percentage near .700 for his first month with Lakewood, and while his performance slid after that, there's still a fair amount to like. Singleton is physically well-developed already at 6-foot-2 and a listed weight of 215 -- although I'd guess he's a little bigger than that -- and has an outstanding swing with good hand speed and excellent hip rotation for future power. He tends to hit a little too much off his front foot -- he can end up with his weight completely off his back side -- but he gets great extension through the zone, and if there was a beauty contest for swings he'd be one of the favorites. At the plate Friday, Singleton didn't look good, but it could simply be exhaustion, as he was late on 88 mph fastballs from the lefty Erlin and struggled to adjust to anything offspeed. I'm inclined to think he's more of a one-level-per-year guy right now, since his season started late, he's already worn out in early September and his recognition of breaking balls is limited, but he does control the zone pretty well and his swing is ready to play at higher levels.

• Brody Colvin started for Lakewood and showed big velocity with below average command and control. Colvin hit 94 on his first pitch and pitched from 91-95 over his five innings, losing about 2 mph when working from the stretch. He accelerates his arm very quickly and gets good extension out front, so the ball appears to come quickly out of his hand towards the hitter. He was more confident in his 83-84 mph changeup, which had a lot of late downward action, than his 77-79 mph slider, which had some tilt but was less consistent and occasionally flattened out. Colvin cuts himself off in his delivery and didn't command anything as well to his glove side as he did to his arm side -- I could see him getting around the side of that slider -- but the raw material is there for a No. 2 starter who brings two or three above-average pitches.

• Robbie Erlin had much better results than Colvin but doesn't have the same ceiling. He touched 90 but was mostly 87-89 with a slow downer curve at 71-75 and a changeup with early action. He likes to pitch inside and threw everything for strikes, but his size -- he's listed at 5'11", so apparently an error of two or three inches is now acceptable -- and lack of big stuff really limit his upside, probably to a bullpen role.

• Erlin was followed by another lefty, Miguel de los Santos -- one of three players with the surname de los Santos on Hickory -- who faced 15 batters and punched out eight of them with a solid-average fastball at 89-92 and plus changeup at 80-83. He used the change heavily, throwing it for strikes, throwing it at 0-0, ahead in the count, or behind in the count, and throwing it to both sides of the plate, even under right-handers' hands. He also showed a 70-73 mph curveball that would help if he was starting, but the fastball/changeup alone make him a serious relief prospect. De los Santos struck out the first three men he faced, then walked the leadoff man in his second inning, followed by a double that put men on second and third ... after which he struck out the next three guys, showing the kind of guts that scouts love to see in young pitchers.

• Lakewood countered with a relief ace of their own, Julio Rodriguez, who struck out 90 men this year for the Blueclaws in 55 innings and punched out five of the ten men he faced on Friday. Rodriguez didn't show a real knockout pitch and his fastball only touched 91, sitting mostly 86-89 in his second and third innings. He mixed four pitches very effectively, showing good two-plane break on the slow curve and hard tilt on the slider, with only the changeup a "show-me" offering (just to let hitters know he has one). Rodriguez's arm is loose and easy, and he works quickly, keeping hitters off balance. If he can hold that velocity as a starter, he has the body and repertoire to become a legitimate starter prospect, even though I think the crazy strikeout rate this year wasn't indicative of his raw stuff.

• Lakewood right fielder Anthony Hewitt batted three times ... and struck out three times. Breaking balls, fastballs up, changeups -- he can swing and miss with the best of them.

• Centerfielder Jiwan James didn't fare much better, fanning four times in five at bats. James' pitch recognition is a notch or two above Hewitt's, and like Hewitt he looks good in the uniform. James doesn't have Hewitt's raw power, but I give him a better chance to hit, and he does have the four tools other than power, with good bat speed and lots of range in center. He barely uses his lower half at all, with limited rotation, and tends to meet the ball a little out front, all of which points away from power despite the fact that he could easily end up over 200 pounds when he's in his late 20s.

• Catcher Sebastian Valle punched out three times in four ABs with a walk, although his at bats were mostly sound and he had a few good takes and showed he could foul off a lot of pitches he couldn't hit fairly below the zone. His stride at the plate is very short, but he's got good hands and uses his lower half well, which is why he's showing power already even though he's still pretty slight. He's a work in progress behind the plate but has arm strength and showed soft enough hands that he projects well defensively.

2014 should be a(nother) good year.

aaaaaaaaand back to baseball:

MRI reveals mild strain for Rollins
    An MRI exam has revealed a mild hamstring strain for Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins.

He remains day-to-day and is expected to rejoin the team in Florida tomorrow.

Rollins was hurt Wednesday night against Florida running between first and second and has not played since. He was with the Phillies in New York this week before leaving the team yesterday to return to Philadelphia for the MRI.

Shane Victorino will remain in the leadoff spot. Wilson Valdez will play shortstop and bat eighth tonight against the Marlins.

The Phillies have a one-game lead on Atlanta in the National League East standings.

More to come ...
    www.myspace.com

An MRI exam has revealed a mild hamstring strain for Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins.

Rollins was hurt Wednesday night against Florida running between first and second and has not played since. He was with the Phillies in New York this week before leaving the team yesterday to return to Philadelphia for the MRI.

Shane Victorino will remain in the leadoff spot. Wilson Valdez will play shortstop and bat eighth tonight against the Marlins.

The Phillies have a one-game lead on Atlanta in the National League East standings.

More to come ...

he's available to pinch hit tonight...but only from the left side.

should have left him in philly and given him the off day on thursday...then bring him back friday if he's ready. don't rush him back again

let's go blanton...get through the first inning and give a solid effort tonight
  • I thought he's scheduled to rejoin the team tomorrow and not tonight?

This ATL series coming up feels like standing on the train tracks with two locomotives heading straight for each other. This is going to be awesome.
    The Fixer wrote:

More to come ...

he's available to pinch hit tonight...but only from the left side.

should have left him in philly and given him the off day on thursday...then bring him back friday if he's ready. don't rush him back again

let's go blanton...get through the first inning and give a solid effort tonight

i'd let him sit a while longer if i were calling the shots...
    www.myspace.com
    I thought he's scheduled to rejoin the team tomorrow and not tonight?

This ATL series coming up feels like standing on the train tracks with two locomotives heading straight for each other. This is going to be awesome.

I thought he was back with them tonight...I could be wrong though.

Next week should be awesome. I'm going wednesday.
    francisco should be playing tonight
  • The Fixer wrote:

Nice. I think I'm there Tuesday. You think they'll set the rotation up accordingly. I can't see why they wouldn't.

Yeah. There ya go, Fat Joe, putting up a scoreless 1st. Way to be!
    The Fixer wrote:

Nice. I think I'm there Tuesday. You think they'll set the rotation up accordingly. I can't see why they wouldn't.

Yeah. There ya go, Fat Joe, putting up a scoreless 1st. Way to be!

they are definitely going with the big 3 in that series. no question.

don't worry fellas, I have money on the phils tonight. My record betting the phils in the last 2 sept/octs is like 42-0.
This discussion has been closed.