***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• 621bbd19-75c9-4bab-bc42-8bc4e01f95b0.jpg

I was at the game with my wife....but that aint my wife

:o

I saw that when it was happening. I hope she's ok - her shirt says she's ill. :roll: I'm going to get a shirt that says "well" in Phillies script.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Not to start anything, but a little info about Mr. September.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post?id=5155

Ryan Howard has baseball's lowest "infield flyball percentage." He has 15 pop-ups in his career.

Facts are facts whether there good or bad. Like the fact that he's the fastest mlb player in HISTORY to 250hrs.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Jesus christ. The point has always been that hitting home runs is all he does well, no one argues that he can hit a lot of home runs. If baseball were a home run derby every night, he would be outstanding, but there is a lot more to baseball than that.
    Did you also know he is the 2nd fastest player in MLB history to 1000 strikeouts?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jesus christ. The point has always been that hitting home runs is all he does well, no one argues that he can hit a lot of home runs. If baseball were a home run derby every night, he would be outstanding, but there is a lot more to baseball than that.

Like fucking children...

And what the shame of it is is that both Utley and Howard play for the same team - the one they apparently root for mind you - and turn them against each other as if you're behind one player or the other. Fucking real gay. And at the point of being fucking played out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like fucking children...

And what the shame of it is is that both Utley and Howard play for the same team - the one they apparently root for mind you - and turn them against each other as if you're behind one player or the other. Fucking real gay. And at the point of being fucking played out.

And it's an every other day fucking thing. Who gives a fuck if someone does not like Ryan Howard?!?! Fuck.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like fucking children...

And it's an every other day fucking thing. Who gives a fuck if someone does not like Ryan Howard?!?! Fuck.

Because this is what they come to the table with day in and day out. It's ridiculous. And they still don't get that the dude who rags on Howard CLEARLY does it to get this response out of them. Clowns.

And just heard a SportsCenter anchor call Werth, "The Rated R Superstar." Since when was Werth a superstar?
  • I don't care who likes Howard or doesn't, Yankees fans or whatever. He is a great player who never pops up, but strikes out a whole lot and isn't all that good at defense. Sorry to bring it up by pointing out stark facts that no one can argue with. Unlike some vague stat like WAR, where we're not really sure what goes into it because it's in Bill James' black box.

Lots of HR's, lots of K's, lots of RBI's, one WS trophy, two pennants. I think most teams would take that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I don't care who likes Howard or doesn't, Yankees fans or whatever. He is a great player who never pops up, but strikes out a whole lot and isn't all that good at defense. Sorry to bring it up by pointing out stark facts that no one can argue with. Unlike some vague stat like WAR, where we're not really sure what goes into it because it's in Bill James' black box.

Lots of HR's, lots of K's, lots of RBI's, one WS trophy, two pennants. I think most teams would take that.

Yeah, but here's the problem - I don't know who you're trying to convince.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    I don't care who likes Howard or doesn't, Yankees fans or whatever. He is a great player who never pops up, but strikes out a whole lot and isn't all that good at defense. Sorry to bring it up by pointing out stark facts that no one can argue with. Unlike some vague stat like WAR, where we're not really sure what goes into it because it's in Bill James' black box.

only opinions need convincing - you can't dispute FACTS.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    I don't care who likes Howard or doesn't, Yankees fans or whatever. He is a great player who never pops up, but strikes out a whole lot and isn't all that good at defense. Sorry to bring it up by pointing out stark facts that no one can argue with. Unlike some vague stat like WAR, where we're not really sure what goes into it because it's in Bill James' black box.

only opinions need convincing - you can't dispute FACTS.

Again, I don't know who you're fighting/arguing/disputing with? Hopefully that clarifies things. Because the last time I checked - I paid $1,200 to be at game 5 in 2008.

All I hear is bickering for bickering's sake, and the want to antagonize a played out issue. Almost as if I'm listening to WIP in the morning. Yuck.
  • I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I thought the pop-ups stat was interesting and that everyone would like to know about it. Next thing you know it's another spat.

• I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I thought the pop-ups stat was interesting and that everyone would like to know about it. Next thing you know it's another spat.

It always is. Because some people don't get it. As if they're on a crusade to make sure everyone knows Ryan Howard is amazing. And if you don't agree, well, then it's time to get out the rope and begin the lynchings. Of other Phillies fans mind you. Trash-like.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    are you guys still fighting over Ryan Howard. Everytime i check this thread, its the same old thing. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    are you guys still fighting over Ryan Howard. Everytime i check this thread, its the same old thing. :lol:

Thank you, sir. It's beyond ridiculous.
    81 wrote:

Thank you, sir. It's beyond ridiculous.

coming from the guy with 6 posts in 1 1/2 pages complaining about the Ryan Howard talk.

sorry but the fact that a Phillies player is the fastest to 250 home runs in the HISTORY OF THE GAME is and should be a relevant topic in a Phillies thread.
  • A fact/stat was posted and then 2 people complained. Then them same 2 complained about people complaining,confused.
    Go Birds!!!!
    A fact/stat was posted and then 2 people complained. Then them same 2 complained about people complaining,confused.

I wonder if they don't realize he hit is 250th last night and think we are just bringing it up to start shit again. Regardless I think anytime someone on your team does something positive for the 1st time in the history of the game you should talk about it and celebrate it regardless of your feelings for said player. it's damn impressive.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like fucking children...

funny thing is that no one here has ever said they don't like ryan howard. just that he's overpaid and overrated

this shit is old, but I don't think it's going away here. not until 2060 when his horrible contract expires
  • Fixer you've talked so much shit about the dude u forget how much you've actually said. The bashing/namecalling almost daily and the fact that u fail to ever give him credit is probably why everyone thinks u hate him and his contract. I never said pam or cliffy hate him,they just see things your way without the bashing. If I was talkn to u and said man I think he sucks at fielding,strikesout way too much,makes way to much money and would rather have gload or lee then him,what would that make u think? If u bash and bash and bash someone to death what are we supposed to think?
    Go Birds!!!!
    Fixer you've talked so much shit about the dude u forget how much you've actually said. The bashing/namecalling almost daily and the fact that u fail to ever give him credit is probably why everyone thinks u hate him and his contract. I never said pam or cliffy hate him,they just see things your way without the bashing. If I was talkn to u and said man I think he sucks at fielding,strikesout way too much,makes way to much money and would rather have gload or lee then him,what would that make u think? If u bash and bash and bash someone to death what are we supposed to think?

as long as he wears a phils uniform I will hope he does well. he's a flawed player that people overrate. that's all I am saying and have ever said. people see him hit lots of home runs and think he is a great player. which he's not. like cliff said, if baseball was a home run derby he'd be the best player in MLB. unfortunately for us, it's not. there is much more to baseball than just hitting home runs (especially in the NL)

this argument has gotten old. I'm guilty of bringing shit up...probably too often. we should be focusing on the phils being back in first place, not arguing about howard.

much needed off day today. The Fixer will be invading Citi Field for the 2nd time to see the phils/mets game tomorrow night. Last year when I was there I was 12 rows off the field in RF and I had a concrete beam in my way. F'ing mets can't get anything right
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    again with this stuff?

god forbid someone gets excited about a phillies player accomplishing a milestone in a phillies thread. you guys are nuts.

just sit back and enjoy him putting this team on his shoulders in september yet again.

hopefully rollins and lidge are okay. if we get number 26 rolling again, there ain't no stopping this train. next stop: late october. hop on board and quit the bickering. it's really been unbearable this year.

GO PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    edited September 2010
    Fixer - no one here is trying to bring back the Ryan Howard arguments - but don't you think it is relevant to bring up the FACT that he is the fastest in the HISTORY OF THE GAME to 250 home runs? Again in a Phillies thread shouldn't this at least be acknoledged and celebrated regardless of your thoughts on the rest of his game? I think that is all Jamminpearls and I are saying here. No need for bashing or comparisons - just acknowledging something pretty awesome he has done.
    I could care less about personal milestones. I just want the phils to win
    The Fixer wrote:
    I could care less about personal milestones. I just want the phils to win

isn't WAR a personal stat? and what exactly has Joey Votto won yet? jeez you are schizo i swear.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Fixer - no one here is trying to bring back the Ryan Howard arguments - but don't you think it is relevant to bring up the FACT that he is the fastest in the HISTORY OF THE GAME to 250 home runs? Again in a Phillies thread shouldn't this at least be acknoledged and celebrated regardless of your thoughts on the rest of his game? I think that is all Jamminpearls and I are saying here. No need for bashing or comparisons - just acknowledging something pretty awesome he has done.

this is as rhetorical as a question can get. yes, obviously the fastest ever to 250 deserves mentioning in this thread. it is an awesome accomplishment. but you're not gonna get anything out of a guy who thinks he sucks.

let it go. enjoy the ride dude.....playoffs baby.....GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

this is as rhetorical as a question can get. yes, obviously the fastest ever to 250 deserves mentioning in this thread. it is an awesome accomplishment. but you're not gonna get anything out of a guy who thinks he sucks.

let it go. enjoy the ride dude.....playoffs baby.....GO PHILS!

i am enjoying the ride. last week or two has been great. this team is finally playing the way they are capable. still too close for comfort but love the way they are playing now. we need a nice effort from the Cardinals this weekend and to actually hit up in New York.
  • If your a fan of a team how can't u be excited or happy to here that a player from your squad made history. I understand if the player is a scum or an asshole like many players are. But when a guy is a model citizen and from what I can tell a good guy,how can u not feel good or happy about it?
    Go Birds!!!!
    The thing is the accomplishment was not brought up as...

Congrats Ryan, Fastest player in history to 250 home runs.

It was...

cant bring it up with these people because they will just belittle it

Bring it up without bringing us up and you will get a better reaction.
    edited September 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The thing is the accomplishment was not brought up as...

Congrats Ryan, Fastest player in history to 250 home runs.

It was...

cant bring it up with these people because they will just belittle it

Bring it up without bringing us up and you will get a better reaction.

agreed. but it goes both ways. the blow up last weekend stemmed from a snide remark by fixer about others regarding cole hamels. he attempted to start shit in the college thread last night but nobody bought the bait (and he wisely edited it about an hour ago). so it goes both ways. it is really annoying. we all have a part in it. everyone should just call a truce and enjoy this amazing team.

allow the jeagler to offer the first olive branch...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.