***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    heard the phils may have inquired about manny ramirez. that is charlie's boy

was out running errands. made the mistake of putting on 610 (which I never listen to). first 2 callers started going crazy about how phils should have kept happ instead of trading for oswalt. I changed channel immediately. philly fans are the worst

It's incredible just how many idiots call that station. Still, the irony of Happ's excellent performance last night is delicious.

yeah, but it's only one game.

like you said, I wish happ well. he's not oswalt though
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    Holy fucking shit Lidge! Get rid rid of him! :x

Instead of going after Oswalt maybe the Phills should have gone after a closer instead.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    June 4th...
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    heard the phils may have inquired about manny ramirez. that is charlie's boy

was out running errands. made the mistake of putting on 610 (which I never listen to). first 2 callers started going crazy about how phils should have kept happ instead of trading for oswalt. I changed channel immediately. philly fans are the worst

It's incredible just how many idiots call that station. Still, the irony of Happ's excellent performance last night is delicious.

yeah, but it's only one game.

like you said, I wish happ well. he's not oswalt though

i wanted to puke on friday night. i got multiple texts from my boys are still waaaay to hung up on the cliff lee trade (i mean i am too--but its over and done with--time to move on) talking about happ throwing a shut out. my replies back mainly consisted of "yeah, we should try to rescind on the trade." DOPES.
    www.myspace.com
    Holy fucking shit Lidge! Get rid rid of him! :x

Instead of going after Oswalt maybe the Phills should have gone after a closer instead.

having 3 stud starters is more important than a closer in the playoffs.

that said i wonder if there are any waiver wire deals we can make for bullpen help. i have no confidence in lidge.

here's a good way of looking at it though: we got to game 6 last year with 1 stud pitcher (cole was not even close at that point) and closers who blew 17 or 18 games. this year we now have 3 studs with the same shaky bullpen. i like our chances.
    www.myspace.com
    son.

of.

a.

bitch.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    son.

of.

a.

bitch.

?

Edit: Oh damn, just read about it.
    Ryan Howard leaves game with ankle injury

The last thing the Phillies needed was to see Ryan Howard limping slowly off the field while supported by manager Charlie Manuel and athletic trainer Mark Andersen. But that was the sight in the first inning of today's game against the Washington Nationals after the star first baseman landed awkwardly on second base and fell to the dirt in obvious pain.

The official diagnosis was a left ankle sprain, although there is no indication as to the severity. Howard had the ankle X-Rayed, but there is no immediate word on the results.

Ben Francisco had dropped a single into right field, scoring Jayson Werth from second base. Howard rounded second, but scrambled back to narrowly beat the throw.

Cody Ransom replaced Howard at second base after he was helped off the field. Ransom later scored on a single by Domonic Brown.

Howard, back in the line-up after a day off, reached base after being hit by Nationals lefty John Lannan. Howard is 0-for-13 in his last three games and 5-for-31 since pushing his batting average to .303 on July 22. From June 17 to July 22 he hit .347/.400/.719 with 11 home runs.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I obviously don't watch much NL baseball but I always get a kick out of it when a pitcher pinch hits to bunt.
    x rays are negative. mri is tomorrow. but on the post game show they reported that manual said he'd only miss a few games.

keep your fingers crossed about the mri...
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    x rays are negative. mri is tomorrow. but on the post game show they reported that manual said he'd only miss a few games.

Meh. He'll just need to stay off his feet for a few days. 8-2 over the last 10. Right now I have them finishing the season with 90 wins. Hopefully that's enough.

i wanted to puke on friday night. i got multiple texts from my boys are still waaaay to hung up on the cliff lee trade (i mean i am too--but its over and done with--time to move on) talking about happ throwing a shut out. my replies back mainly consisted of "yeah, we should try to rescind on the trade." DOPES.

the philly fans crying about the oswalt trade are the same people that were bitching last year when the phils got lee instead of halladay.

some people just always need something to complain about

Meh. He'll just need to stay off his feet for a few days. 8-2 over the last 10. Right now I have them finishing the season with 90 wins. Hopefully that's enough.

gload will be fine at first. at least now they have someone that can catch the ball

this team needs to start winning some road games or they can kiss the playoffs good bye.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    The Fixer wrote:

gload will be fine at first. at least now they have someone that can catch the ball

this team needs to start winning some road games or they can kiss the playoffs good bye.

wow really? you can't be serious with this post saying the Phils are fine with Ross Gload over Ryan Howard because he can catch the ball. this has to be the most idiotic thing i've ever heard or read in my life. and you accuse a few of us of trying to stir this shit up. utterly moronic - ross fn gload.
    The Fixer wrote:

the philly fans crying about the oswalt trade are the same people that were bitching last year when the phils got lee instead of halladay.

some people just always need something to complain about

actually the two people i am referring to were huge fans of the first lee trade at the time.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

wow really? you can't be serious with this post saying the Phils are fine with Ross Gload over Ryan Howard because he can catch the ball. this has to be the most idiotic thing i've ever heard or read in my life. and you accuse a few of us of trying to stir this shit up. utterly moronic - ross fn gload.

the phils cannot win if howard's out a prolonged period of time. they have already proven they can win every time utley goes to the dl. but they need the big bopper in the middle of the lineup. fixer had to be just kidding.

hopefully we don't get to experience this though. fingers crossed....
    www.myspace.com

by my math that's 33-24 the rest of the way which should be doable.

assuming howard doesn't miss much time and with our schedule, i really think we could be in first by september 1st. but as long as we remain within striking distance (2-3 games or so) i think we'll be fine. 6 games vs atlanta in september, plus we should hopefully have 26 and shane back at some point.

lucked out on not having to face johnson this week.

kinda thought we'd skip kendrick's spot with the off day today though...

also---the more and more i see previews for The Other Guys...the more i'm thinking its gonna be hilarious. it looks like classic ferrell nonsense to me
    www.myspace.com
    the phils cannot win if howard's out a prolonged period of time. they have already proven they can win every time utley goes to the dl. but they need the big bopper in the middle of the lineup. fixer had to be just kidding.

agree and watching it yesterday it looked bad - right now seems to be not too serious but hard to believe that the way he turned it. be a great break if he only misses a game or two.
    pjhawks wrote:

I was kidding (kind of). howard has been by far their best offensive player this year. It will hurt not having him in there...even though he sucked last week.

how is werth hitting close to .300? seems like he's hitting .200. and rollins needs to pick it up.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Without howard we have no shot at making the playoffs. He lights it up down the stretch,and these injuries are getting out of hand.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Without howard we have no shot at making the playoffs. He lights it up down the stretch,and these injuries are getting out of hand.

this isn't true. they can still get in without howard. doesn't make it easier, but it's not like the season is over. losing utley hurts a lot more than losing howard.

doesn't look like he's gonna be out long, so we don't have to worry about it.

the next few days it's let's go mets!!
    The Fixer wrote:

this isn't true. they can still get in without howard. doesn't make it easier, but it's not like the season is over. losing utley hurts a lot more than losing howard.

doesn't look like he's gonna be out long, so we don't have to worry about it.

the next few days it's let's go mets!!

Utley is a great player,losing Utley only hurts more because he's out longer. If they were b oth out the same amount of time at different times they'd be better with howard in there. Howard changes the way multiple players see pitches. Utleys a grinder and a great player but howards bat is the one they can't replace in that lineup. And hopefully with the day off tomorrow he can get back sooner then later,and yes go Muts!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    it is amazing that werth is hitting close to .300 and still leads the league in doubles. he's such a streaky hitter.

fixer--i dont know how you can definitively say losing utley hurts a lot more than losing howard. utley may well be the overall better player. but that big bopper in the middle of the lineup is huge for the way we play.

and you're dealing with a known and an unknown anyway. utley's been on the dl multiple times in his career and we've gotten along fine without him. howard hasn't been on the dl since the early part of 2007.

either way--i'm with you: LET'S GO METS!
    www.myspace.com
    it is amazing that werth is hitting close to .300 and still leads the league in doubles. he's such a streaky hitter.

fixer--i dont know how you can definitively say losing utley hurts a lot more than losing howard. utley may well be the overall better player. but that big bopper in the middle of the lineup is huge for the way we play.

and you're dealing with a known and an unknown anyway. utley's been on the dl multiple times in his career and we've gotten along fine without him. howard hasn't been on the dl since the early part of 2007.

utley does everything well, howard does one thing well. you can't compare the two

Howard/Utley WAR

2004 - 0.4/1.5
    2005 - 2.4/6.2
    2006 - 5.8/5.7
    2007 - 2.6/6.6
    2008 - 2.8/6.6
    2009 - 4.8/7.7
    2010 - 2.0/2.6

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
    Chase is the best all around phillie,that's obvious. But It blows my mind how u just over look the offensive production howard puts up. His power numbers are so insane that they can't be considered 1 thing he does well. Either way he need to be healthy to have a chance at the playoffs period.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

utley does everything well, howard does one thing well. you can't compare the two

Howard/Utley WAR

2004 - 0.4/1.5
    2005 - 2.4/6.2
    2006 - 5.8/5.7
    2007 - 2.6/6.6
    2008 - 2.8/6.6
    2009 - 4.8/7.7
    2010 - 2.0/2.6

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

using a ridiculous stat that 99.9% of america doesn't know how is calcuated to base an argument on is pretty damn funny. Don't care what that dumbass stat says - lots of players can hit .280 to .290 and run the bases well. Love Utley but come on no one comes close to replacing Howard's power numbers in this lineup.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Howard/Utley WAR

2004 - 0.4/1.5
    2005 - 2.4/6.2
    2006 - 5.8/5.7
    2007 - 2.6/6.6
    2008 - 2.8/6.6
    2009 - 4.8/7.7
    2010 - 2.0/2.6

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

using a ridiculous stat that 99.9% of america doesn't know how is calcuated to base an argument on is pretty damn funny. Don't care what that dumbass stat says - lots of players can hit .280 to .290 and run the bases well. Love Utley but come on no one comes close to replacing Howard's power numbers in this lineup.

because most of america doesn't understand something doesn't mean it isn't useful. you're talking about a population that makes shit like American Idol and Lady Gaga popular. Most people are dumb.

Now please, stop comparing howard and utley. It's no contest.
    Who affects the lineup more? Howard alone changes the way a pitcher will pitch to at least 3 to 4 players am I correct? Utley who I already said is a better all around player maybe effects what the 2 hole hitter see's. In the lineup howard is missed more,in the field and on the bases its utley. I don't wanna see it cause I don't want howard hurt but I'd bet utleys production goes down a lot without the big man hitting behind him.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

Howard/Utley WAR

2004 - 0.4/1.5
    2005 - 2.4/6.2
    2006 - 5.8/5.7
    2007 - 2.6/6.6
    2008 - 2.8/6.6
    2009 - 4.8/7.7
    2010 - 2.0/2.6

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
    :roll:
    lol...whatever dude. i'm not comparing the two as players.

i'm saying we've got along just fine whenever utley's been on the dl, which is quite often. you don't need sabermetrics for that. you just need to look at the win/loss record.
    www.myspace.com
    Who affects the lineup more? Howard alone changes the way a pitcher will pitch to at least 3 to 4 players am I correct? Utley who I already said is a better all around player maybe effects what the 2 hole hitter see's. In the lineup howard is missed more,in the field and on the bases its utley. I don't wanna see it cause I don't want howard hurt but I'd bet utleys production goes down a lot without the big man hitting behind him.

look at ibanez's numbers over the last month in the 3 hole as an example.

we need the big guy in there. bottom line.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.